PDA

View Full Version : Canine Defense 101: Bite?

Bullethail
04-04-08, 00:47
Woman bites attacking pit bull. (http://www.startribune.com/local/17247504.html)

Not something you see everyday. A little unorthodox, but seems like it worked...

Glad Ella's doing okay. :D

Neteru
04-04-08, 00:56
... waits for page to load ... still waiting ... fights off cookies ... still waiting ... still waiting ... fight off more cookies ... still waiting ... page half loads ... fight off more cookies ... still waiting ... page loads.

Interesting. Think I'll watch the video clip.

waits for page to load ... still waiting ... fights off cookies ... still waiting ... fights off cookies ... still waiting ... page loads ... wait for clip to play ... still waiting ... still waiting ... still waiting ... still waiting ... gives up.

Bullethail
04-04-08, 01:00
Edit: New link. Tell me if this one works any better. ;)

Neteru
04-04-08, 01:14
Sure. Just one cookie to fight off.

I sympathise with this woman entirely. I remember frequently having to put myself in the way of a huge mastiff that took a dislike to my dog, and I know that if it had attacked, instead of threatening, I would have killed it with my bare hands.

interstellardave
04-04-08, 02:19
I forsee the day, not far off, when Pit Bulls will be outlawed in populated areas. There are too many stories like this one, and too many people can't, or don't want to, control these animals. I'm not going to debate the issue as I can see arguments for both sides... but I'm just saying that I believe it's going to happen.

ihatecold17
04-04-08, 02:23
Lol, this is funny to me for some reason.

Sweets
04-04-08, 04:12
:Steps up on soapbox:

As an owner of a very goofy, loving Pitbull I have to say that I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owners. Any dog can be aggressive, but it does seem that whenever there is a dog bite in the media, it's always a Pitbull that makes the headlines. You hardly ever see any news stories about other breeds attacking humans or other animals. What about the 110lb Mastiff that killed a child two years ago? There was hardly any news about that at all. And some of time I notice that the dogs that do the attacking aren't Pitbulls at all but Mastiffs and Boxers that are mistaken for Pitbulls/Pitbull mixes.

It is such a shame that the breed gets such a bad rap, but I do see both sides. What about news stories that feature good Pitbulls? Such as Popsicle the lil white female pitty who sniffed out the largest drug smuggling in US History? Or the Pitbull that saved the little girl from a rattle snake?

I understand the breed isn't for everyone, as they can be very hyper and energetic, and can also be very dog aggressive(they are more dog aggressive than people aggressive and are not a gaurdian breed, despite what some people think). But they can be the sweetest dogs ever, and people shouldn't write off the whole breed just because of some dogs that fell into the wrong hands(if that makes sense).

:Steps down off soapbox:

rowanlim
04-04-08, 05:39
This just cracks me up :vlol: :D

interstellardave
04-04-08, 11:18

As an owner of a very goofy, loving Pitbull I have to say that I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owners. Any dog can be aggressive, but it does seem that whenever there is a dog bite in the media, it's always a Pitbull that makes the headlines. You hardly ever see any news stories about other breeds attacking humans or other animals. What about the 110lb Mastiff that killed a child two years ago? There was hardly any news about that at all. And some of time I notice that the dogs that do the attacking aren't Pitbulls at all but Mastiffs and Boxers that are mistaken for Pitbulls/Pitbull mixes.

It is such a shame that the breed gets such a bad rap, but I do see both sides. What about news stories that feature good Pitbulls? Such as Popsicle the lil white female pitty who sniffed out the largest drug smuggling in US History? Or the Pitbull that saved the little girl from a rattle snake?

I understand the breed isn't for everyone, as they can be very hyper and energetic, and can also be very dog aggressive(they are more dog aggressive than people aggressive and are not a gaurdian breed, despite what some people think). But they can be the sweetest dogs ever, and people shouldn't write off the whole breed just because of some dogs that fell into the wrong hands(if that makes sense).

This is why I say I can see both sides. But, sad as it is, Pitbulls seem to be the preferred breed of dog that people train to be vicious killers in these dog fighting rings... and that makes them loaded weapons ready to go off on anyone or anything. It is because of this training that I think you do see more pitbull attacks than from other breeds. I don't think that it's all just media hype. No; not the dogs' fault, really, but once they are made so vicious the dog probably has to be put down. They need to crack down HARD on these heartless *******s who do this to animals too!

thanatos
04-04-08, 11:35

While pit-bulls are the dog of choice for pikys, a large number of attacks come from ones brought up in conditions that you would consider normal. The problem is that they are highly active and unpredicatable, same gos for mastiffs btw which do make the news when a serious attack happens. Personally, I just hope your dog attacks you before it attacks a child