PDA

View Full Version : HDTV: Who's got it and what do you have?

Mr.Burns
04-04-08, 03:51
I just got one yesterday. I'm pretty impressed with the quality. I've seen it in quite a few customer's homes but I never had much of a chance to really check them out. So, like the title says, who's got one?

This is mine:

http://www.vizio.com/media/products/large/VW32Lbranding%281%29.jpg

DREWY
04-04-08, 03:59
I've got a 42" LG
Very happy with mine :tmb:

Neteru
04-04-08, 04:13
26" Samsung HDTV for my PC monitor (and Samsung HDD DVD Recorder connected to it).
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TRK4NMPKL._SS400_.jpg
32" Toshiba HDTV (and Sony HDD DVD Recorder connected to it).

http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/files/32C3030D/$file/c3030d3.jpg

star-dust
04-04-08, 04:26
I've got a 42" LG
Very happy with mine :tmb:

We have a 32" LG and we're very happy with ours too.:)

KC Mraz
04-04-08, 05:07
I don't have a HDTV: I don't have HD TV channels in my cable television package, and still don't have a next/current-gen console nor HD DVD/Blu-ray player (still happy with DVD), so I don't think's necessary a HD TV for me right now :)...

EgyptianSoul
04-04-08, 05:21
Amazing how some people have money to buy those 32" and 42" TV's. They cost like hell. :p I can't afford one and anyway I'm saving money to upgrade my pc this fall/winter.

Lara.Jolie7
04-04-08, 05:22
It's a dream , soon will be reality (i hope)

Mict
04-04-08, 06:09
No HD channels on television, but I have a 720p projector, 2560x1600 monitor (well, actually 3760x1600, two displays) and a Xbox 360 HD DVD drive. I even have some HD DVD movies :p

Mad Tony
04-04-08, 06:12
We've got a 32" Acoustic Solutions HD TV. We haven't got any HD channels because you have pay extra for those and right now we're not particularly interested in getting a few extra channels in HD.

Soma Holiday
04-04-08, 06:24
I don't really get it. I mean I honestly see nothing wrong with regular TV/DVDs...HD enthusiasts always make it seem so amazing...but I think its just pointless...So much money could be spent on other things...like more movies opposed to buying the same ones for HD. The VHS to DVD method was more convenient...this just seems to complicate things...now I have the same movie in like 3 different formats...just give me the fricken DVD!

Plus I work in a DVD rental department of my library, and SO many of the movies we get in now are HD...well kids try to rent them, then realize that they can't even watch them, so I get to break their heart and ask...do you have an HD player...then you can't watch it...

*sigh*

But hey, if u got the money...WHY NOT?? :)

Neteru
04-04-08, 06:52
^Obviously you've never seen High Definition.

CerebralAssassin
04-04-08, 07:06
hehe...now you can enjoy watching your football games as if your playing in them Burnsy :tmb: (DON'T tell me you don't watch football :smk:)

Zelda master
04-04-08, 07:16
Were getting one soon... we however dont know yet which one:o

Forwen
04-04-08, 07:22
26" Philips, but I like to believe it's a temporary solution and I'll move onto 42" one day.

george_croft
04-04-08, 07:39
50" [err, might be 42, let me look it up] Samsung full HD-TV in the livingroom. Bluray movies on that thing look more real then.....real life. :cln: However, real HD-TV's (not hd-ready) tend to have appauling resolution when watching regular chanels, and not HD ones. Its got game-mode though, so i forgive it. :p

We've got a 32" HD-Ready TV in the guestroom, and the difference between 720p and 1080p is very noticable.

findme
04-04-08, 07:41
I really want one, but I don't see my mum wanting to get one since shes all anti modern technology. There would be no point really in geting one though since we don't have Sky HD.

And yeap getting a HDTV means you're gonna have to go complicated in other stuff like a HD DVD Player, getting HD DVDs, all of them cos tons than normal DVD/players today. Maybe in a fe years we'll see, I personally don't really watch TV that much anyways

EgyptianSoul
04-04-08, 07:46
Remember HD DVD players and HD DVD's are now well buried and gone. We have Blu-Ray only now. It's the next step forward in technology. :wve:

KC Mraz
04-04-08, 07:53
hehe...now you can enjoy watching your football games as if your playing in them Burnsy :tmb: (DON'T tell me you don't watch football :smk:)

I don't watch football... or any kind of sport. Actually I don't even play sports :tea:.

UNDERTAKER
04-04-08, 09:35
I currently have a 32" Samsung (le32r73)

It's a good TV but I am saving up for a 50" 1080p TV. I want one so badly!

Drone
04-04-08, 09:57
We have 32" Toshiba HDTV regza. My parents are happy with it :) I never watch tv tho

Legend Killer
04-04-08, 10:03
Currently we have an older 57" Hitachi which has taken the place of going to the theater for 5 yrs now. At some point we'll also upgrade the bedroom model to a nice flat panel as well. :wve:

interstellardave
04-04-08, 10:57
I have this Optima 720p/1080i projector; I project the image onto a 109-inch screen. Games and movies (especially High-Def movies) look AWESOME on it! :cln:

http://i32.************/2cn9t2v.jpg

thanatos
04-04-08, 12:54
42" panasonic. Got the PS3 and 360 elite hooked up via HDMI. I also reguarly download hd shows from the US (can I say that :whi:)

tampi
04-04-08, 13:00
I must assume that all you receive HD channels. Here we don't have hardly emissions in HD :confused:

Naz2000
04-04-08, 13:15
I have one, don't really know what the specs are but it is a 42" Bravia Sony Tv

thanatos
04-04-08, 14:01
I must assume that all you receive HD channels. Here we don't have hardly emissions in HD :confused:

Actually no, I only bought it for the 360 games. Now though I have the PS3 and a collection of HDDVDs and Blu-rays, as well as HD tv shows i play off a memory card. (Have no interest in SKY HD, paying per month for Tourchwood in HD? no thanks!)

Eddie Haskell
04-04-08, 14:08
I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma in the living room, a 42" one in the bedroom (since I am in here a lot, sadly), and another 42" in the family/rec/bar room. Anyone who says that HD is nothing or not worth it hasn't really seen it. And the Panasonic Plasma's are the best, hands down.

Angelus
04-04-08, 14:45
We haven't got one yet, but I'm saving up for one to go in my room. :)

AmericanAssassin
04-04-08, 15:36
My family has a 50" widescreen HDTV in the living room, but I usually just watch my standard 30" tv in my bedroom... :D

Seb_01225
04-04-08, 15:41
i have a sony bravia its HD too :D

Mr.Burns
04-04-08, 16:00

New York Yankees fan. I have YES HD so I was watching a Blue Jays/Yankees game. My G-d it's a beautiful picture. :D Crank on the dolby digital and it sounds like you're actually there.

touchthesky
04-04-08, 16:46
http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/files/32C3030D/$file/c3030d3.jpg

Ours too.

It's nice. Good to watch Hollyoaks on! (Which is turning HD soon,btw :D)

Devilian
04-04-08, 16:52
I have 8 years old Thomson (72cm) with Matrix Black Diva screen, and I am maximally satisfied :)

myrmaad
04-04-08, 17:05
Mark, our flatscreen is only a couple of years old so hubby's not big on making the investment just yet ("There's nothing wrong with that one right there.")

But that has not stopped us from spending time looking at them. For the price and quality I'm leaning toward Vizio.

Mr.Burns
04-04-08, 17:08
*nods* Most of the time, the tv's that I have seen with good quality are Samsung and Vizio. The rest are so so. Of course I'm basing this on the quality from the satellite companies (one of which is my employer) which is far better than cable (what I'm currently stuck with).

interstellardave
04-04-08, 21:57
Mark, our flatscreen is only a couple of years old so hubby's not big on making the investment just yet ("There's nothing wrong with that one right there.")

But that has not stopped us from spending time looking at them. For the price and quality I'm leaning toward Vizio.

If you want major bang for relatively few bucks you should go the way I did... I paid $1300.00 for what is essentially a 109" HDTV. Of course you have to have some room and you will need surround sound speakers (or some kind of speakers) which we already had...

Lara Coft Baby
04-04-08, 22:02
I dont have it yet. But soon I will be woot!! :jmp:

bloodstormaoa
04-04-08, 22:10
32" Toshiba HDTV .

I have that little beauty in my room :D

Dakaruch
04-04-08, 22:17
I have a 32" LG HDTV...

Eddie Haskell
04-04-08, 22:26
*nods* Most of the time, the tv's that I have seen with good quality are Samsung and Vizio. The rest are so so. Of course I'm basing this on the quality from the satellite companies (one of which is my employer) which is far better than cable (what I'm currently stuck with).

Samsung makes great LCD's. But Panasonic makes the best plasma's. LCD's still have the problem of viewing angles. Plasma's do not. I think LCD's are fine for smaller spaces or for a frontal view, but if you're going big, go for the plasma.

Mr.Burns
04-04-08, 22:35
Samsung makes great LCD's. But Panasonic makes the best plasma's. LCD's still have the problem of viewing angles. Plasma's do not. I think LCD's are fine for smaller spaces or for a frontal view, but if you're going big, go for the plasma.

Oh I wouldn't touch plasma's with a ten foot pole. Aside from the heat they generate and the short life spans, there's also the danger of image burn in. I've seen it too many times at customers' homes. Personally, I'd go with DLP for a larger environment.

Eddie Haskell
04-04-08, 22:47
Oh I wouldn't touch plasma's with a ten foot pole. Aside from the heat they generate and the short life spans, there's also the danger of image burn in. I've seen it too many times at customers' homes. Personally, I'd go with DLP for a larger environment.

Haven't experienced that, only HD heaven. I also haven't noticed any heat problems at all.

LCD's lose a lot of color and contrast unless one is viewing right from the front and center. This is an inherent fault that plasma's do not share.

Mr.Burns
04-04-08, 23:02
Actually, I have to say the best picture that I have seen are from CRT HDTV's. Granted the screen isn't very big on most of them but the quality is, in my opinion, far superior. I'm curious to see what an OLED tv will look like when they get released.

Eddie Haskell
04-04-08, 23:06
Actually, I have to say the best picture that I have seen are from CRT HDTV's. Granted the screen isn't very big on most of them but the quality is, in my opinion, far superior. I'm curious to see what an OLED tv will look like when they get released.

I bought my mother a large HD CRT. It does have an excellent picture no doubt about it, and it is better than an LCD (at this time, LCD's are getting better). But I have to say that I think the plasma's picture is better. I watch the Sox games (always hated the Cubs) and each time I cannot believe it is a screen and not a window.

MiCkiZ88
04-04-08, 23:11
Don't have one yet, and don't really need one as we don't have any HD channels, nor do I own a new console. My dad has a 32'' Samsung LCD tv though, but the regular channels look extremely blurry and pixelated on it. Same goes for my step sisters 40'' tv. Regular channels are a blur. DVD's look much better though (Even if they aren't HD).

I never understand the need for multiple tv's in one household though.. but then again, the tv's cost **** loads here atm. *le sigh*

I'm perfectly happy with my 28'' Philips widescreen box.

Mr.Burns
04-04-08, 23:12
I bought my mother a large HD CRT. It does have an excellent picture no doubt about it, and it is better than an LCD (at this time, LCD's are getting better). But I have to say that I think the plasma's picture is better. I watch the Sox games (always hated the Cubs) and each time I cannot believe it is a screen and not a window.

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing when watching a yankees game. Unfortunately I'm stuck with cable so the quality of their HD isn't the best. But they do have YES so I can't complain too much. :) But regarding Plasma's, I'm just very weary of them. It's safe to say that all of the major formats have their ups and downs. I can't recall but have you heard anything about Plasma's being phased out? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Eddie Haskell
04-04-08, 23:16
Hehe, I was thinking the same thing when watching a yankees game. Unfortunately I'm stuck with cable so the quality of their HD isn't the best. But they do have YES so I can't complain too much. :) But regarding Plasma's, I'm just very weary of them. It's safe to say that all of the major formats have their ups and downs. I can't recall but have you heard anything about Plasma's being phased out? I thought I heard that somewhere.

You bring up a good point, the air signal HD is far superior to cable or satellite here in Chicago. It is quite noticeably better, particularly the networks.

And I have not heard anything about the phasing out of plasma's.

Mr.Burns
04-04-08, 23:28
Yea, it's a point I have had to explain every now and then when people complain about their locals not being as clear. Especially with satellite, there's a relay of sorts so there will be a loss in quality. I'd go with satellite if I could (I also work for one of providers).

raiderfun
05-04-08, 01:03
Woot, congrats MArk ! :tmb:

Enjoy now :)

Larapink
05-04-08, 01:15
I just have a normal TV, it does the job. I don't need no fancy HDTV. :p

thanatos
05-04-08, 14:25

Actually with a GOOD plasma there is less chance of burn in than there is with a CRT. And the motion and Black levels look far better on a plasma! I'm not saying you should rush out and buy a plasma, just don't right them off so quick just because cheap and old plasmas have given them a bad name.

My house-mate has a 32" CRT HD and i'll tell you now the quality is no where near the LCDs and Plasmas. Even if it was, size matters!

remote91
05-04-08, 15:08
I wish I had a HDTV..that would be awesome. My Dad always looks at them in catalogues and then when I ask him he if he is considering one he says he isnt really interested in them.

Lies.

knightgames
05-04-08, 19:04
I have the Tim Curry model.

He's definitely a High Definition Transvestite. :tea:

Angelus
05-04-08, 21:27
What's the difference between a 'HD Ready' and a 'HD TV'?

Mr.Burns
05-04-08, 21:32
HDTV is a tv capable of viewing High Definition programming and has a digital tuner built in. HD ready is the same thing minus a digital tuner. So for example, if you had an HDTV or any tv with a digital tuner, you could receive digital/HD over the air channels with an antenna. If your tv is HD ready, you will need a set top box be it from the cable company, satellite or an off air digital tuner. In some cases, there are TV's that actually have the ability to see digital cable that's been encoded due to having a smart card slot already built in. So in that case, you wouldn't even need a box from the cable company for standard cable channels.

Angelus
05-04-08, 21:41
HDTV is a tv capable of viewing High Definition programming and has a digital tuner built in. HD ready is the same thing minus a digital tuner. So for example, if you had an HDTV or any tv with a digital tuner, you could receive digital/HD over the air channels with an antenna. If your tv is HD ready, you will need a set top box be it from the cable company, satellite or an off air digital tuner. In some cases, there are TV's that actually have the ability to see digital cable that's been encoded due to having a smart card slot already built in. So in that case, you wouldn't even need a box from the cable company for standard cable channels.

Ah, okay. Thanks. :tmb:

calico25
06-04-08, 01:56
I have a Sony Bravia 52" 1080p in my living room and a Toshiba 32" LCD 720p in my bedroom.

http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Video/EcransLCD/Sony/W3000/52W3000_L.jpg

http://www.hdtv-reviews.co.uk/images/uploads/37wl66-1.jpg

Tomb-Raider
06-04-08, 02:36
32'' Sony Bravia Plasma LCD HDTV 720p/1080i.

oocladableeblah
06-04-08, 02:40
I got a 52 inch lcd samsung tv. I think lcds look better than plasmas.

Neteru
06-04-08, 02:53
^^^ That Sony looks delicious.

What's the difference between a 'HD Ready' and a 'HD TV'?

It depends where you are in the world. That may be true for America, but not for Europe. For the definition in Europe see EICTA (http://www.eicta.org/index.php?id=731)'s website. My Samsung is a HD Ready set and does have a digital tuner.

Mr.Burns
06-04-08, 03:09
Now (from what I have seen) all HDTV's and some that are EDTV (Enhanced Definition) come with digital off air tuners. I can't really recall encountering an HDTV that doesn't have one. *shrugs* this is more from field experience.

LegenDarY
06-04-08, 22:40
I got one as well, a 32" Samsung.

http://blauridder.net/wp-content/images/samsunglcd.jpg

I just love playing current gen games on it.. everything looks amazing.

digitizedboy
07-04-08, 00:28
Couldn't afford HDTV, not with my wages. Which reminds me, my TV broke on Saturday, now I can't watch cable TV. damn.

Seriously though, I'd rather spend a fiver at the pictures than waste my money on something so expensive. just my opinion.

Lara.Jolie7
07-04-08, 02:24
Does anyone have a image compartion betwen the Hd Tv (or Dvd, game) and the normal?
To show us the diference?

(plx no 1000 gigas images)

ben croft
07-04-08, 04:22
Does anyone have a image compartion betwen the Hd Tv (or Dvd, game) and the normal?

Yeah, I want to see someone playing an Xbox 360 and/or PlayStation 3 game on HD TV and normal TV, please. :D

:wve:

KC Mraz
07-04-08, 04:37

I have ones, here are two of them :):

Cli (http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u252/kcmraz/HDcomp2.png)-cky (http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u252/kcmraz/HDcomp1.png)

Lara.Jolie7
07-04-08, 06:03
Ty Kc

I found some 2

http://www.dvhardware.net/news/transformers_hd_dvd_vs_dvd.jpg
http://www.zonadvd.com/imagenes/articulos/cineencasa_blurayhddvd2/iceage2_capdvdpeq.jpg

http://www.multiplataforma.blogger.com.br/04599_HD_IMG_1890a.jpg

If someone have more fell free to show us :hug:

Neteru
07-04-08, 06:29
Here's a really great example page using Lord of the Rings. You mouse-over to see the difference. You can also click on each image to see first the full size DVD images, and then click it again to see the full size HD image.

Clicky for visual delights (http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html).

And another good example set, this time using Star Wars. With this page, you hold the mouse pointer over the image and wait for the HD image to display. Similarly, you can click on each image to open it full size. The same principle applies here, holding the mouse pointer over the image to see the HD version (move mouse away to go back to SD version).

Clicky for visual delights 2 (http://csel.cs.colorado.edu/%7Epmjohnso/swhighdef/).

And some comparison shots from Troy.

Clicky for visual delights 3 (http://www.highdefdigest.com/tags/show/Comparison_Photos).

And from Seabiscuit.

Clicky for visual delights 4 (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/281).

thanatos
07-04-08, 09:19
To be honest though, you really have to see HD for yourself to really appreciate it. These comparisons don't do it justice.

interstellardave
07-04-08, 10:58
[quote=Neteru;2619060]Here's a really great example page using Lord of the Rings. You mouse-over to see the difference. You can also click on each image to see first the full size DVD images, and then click it again to see the full size HD image.

Clicky for visual delights (http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html).

And another good example set, this time using Star Wars. With this page, you hold the mouse pointer over the image and wait for the HD image to display. Similarly, you can click on each image to open it full size. The same principle applies here, holding the mouse pointer over the image to see the HD version (move mouse away to go back to SD version).

Clicky for visual delights 2 (http://csel.cs.colorado.edu/%7Epmjohnso/swhighdef/).

Yeah, I saw these a while ago... And yet neither of these series has been released to the public in HD yet! What gives? Well, knowing George Lucas, he'll spend 20 years cutting stuff from and adding stuff to the Star Wars movies first. :rolleyes:

We should have LOTR though!

illuminati30
07-04-08, 12:53
No, but I want a Samsung one. Could be an interesting poll. Nintendo didn't bother with HD for Wii and said they would have it for their next console. Said there as no point yet, as most people don't have HD yet. Also, does not having an HD TV put people off buying a 360 or PS3? Talking a **** of money to buy both.

Neteru
08-04-08, 02:44
Yeah, I saw these a while ago... And yet neither of these series has been released to the public in HD yet! What gives? Well, knowing George Lucas, he'll spend 20 years cutting stuff from and adding stuff to the Star Wars movies first. :rolleyes:

We should have LOTR though!Star Wars is from a HD Sky feed, and the person making the LOTR comparison does say the images come from a HD stream. So that must be a broadcast too, whether over cable, transmitter or internet, I don't know.