PDA

View Full Version : So How Tall Is Lara (Sense of Scale)

NotQuiteAlastair
05-04-08, 23:03
I'm playing Legend and Anniversary on the XBox 360 these days (I finally got sick of the unresponsive, imprecise PC controls and camera), and I was recently marvelling at the epic scale of some of the ruins (Bolivia, Greece, Egypt in TRA, for example).

This got me wondering about exactly how big/tall some of these areas are. I play tabletop games, and I wouldn't mind creating some of these epic-scale ruins for my rpg gaming.

Problem is, I'm not one of those people with an intuitive sense of scale. I typically have to use a person's height as a visual "measuring stick" -- which makes it tough when I don't know how tall Lara is supposed to be!

Since I play on the 360 now, I can't use the level editor with that version to find out for myself -- so can anybody tell me how tall Lara is supposed to be in-game?

I've read that the average height for a caucasian woman is 5' 5" (1.651 cm), but at least two of Lara's physical attributes are beyond average size (a-hem!), so I figured I'd better ask here, where someone might actually know the precise answer.

Thanks much -- it's definitely appreciated,

NQA

matrix54
05-04-08, 23:08
Lara is 3 and 1/2 click high...what she is...:)

Lara's #1 Pal
06-04-08, 00:21
I think her official height is 5 "4, well at least CORE'S lara was.

!!!!GO CORE GO!!!!

GeckoKid
06-04-08, 01:49
I think her official height is 5 "4, well at least CORE'S lara was.

!!!!GO CORE GO!!!!
that was changed to 5 foot 9 in AOD, and I don't really know how tall lara is in trl and tra, but she does seem to encounter enormous staircases...

matrix54
06-04-08, 01:57
that was changed to 5 foot 9 in AOD, and I don't really know how tall lara is in trl and tra, but she does seem to encounter enormous staircases...

mostlike ly still 3 and 1/2 clicks tall:p

sapper
06-04-08, 02:05
In the pic below the red box is 4 clicks high, yellow box 3 clicks high and blue box 2 clicks high.

The Lara on the left is the static Lara from cleopal wad and the one on the right is Lara Skin.

In TR units Lara is 798 tall, which, using the conversion units in Michiel's tutorial makes her 798/5.12 = 155.9 cm = about 5' 1.5".

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/nnn59/TwoLaras.png

aktrekker
06-04-08, 02:54
Each sector is counted as 2 meters in the game statistics. Technically at 3 clicks tall this would make her about 5 feet.
If her mesh is 798 tall, and 1024 pixels is 2 meters, then her height would be 798/1024 times 2 meters = 61.36 inches or 5' 1.36".
If we get the same result 2 ways, then I guess her height really is between 5'1" and 5'2".
She is kind of short, I kind of thought she was around 5'8".

LaraLuvrrr
06-04-08, 04:23
I asked this question on these forums once and got crap for it cuz ppl kept saying why does it matter. Anyways I think Lara is 5'5". Rhona Mitra is that height which was the original Lara Croft model and Lara was originally not a gigantor like they have made her. The new Lara has legs so long she looks 5'10" with most of that being leg height...

NotQuiteAlastair
06-04-08, 11:23
Thanks for all the attempts to help me out so far.

I especially appreciate Sapper's in-depth research. Unfortunately, his analysis seems concerned with Original Lara, and I'm focused on current Lara (TRL and TRA) because it's not really Lara's height per se that matters to me -- it's so I have a known "measuring stick" length to help me get a sense of the size of her surroundings.

Based on the newest games, I do have a hard time believing that Lara is still intended to be 5'1". That's really short for the average caucasian woman. I know women that height. It doesn't really match with her general size in the modern games. I was thinking maybe 5'6, at least.

I just thought someone in this forum section might be map-building for TRL and TRA, and know her exact height thereby.

Thanks much for the effort and good intentions, evryone. I'll try to check back over the next couple of days, in case somebody stumbles across this thread who coincidentally happens to know the answer.

Cheers,

NQA

MikeAC
06-04-08, 11:35
It was changed well before that. The strategy guides I have for both the second and third games list her as 5'9. Seeing how she's only a few inches shorter than many of the male characters, I find it hard to believe she's only in the 5'4" range or below.

sapper
07-04-08, 00:50
I'm focused on current Lara (TRL and TRA) because it's not really Lara's height per se that matters to me -- it's so I have a known "measuring stick" length to help me get a sense of the size of her surroundings.

I haven't played TRL for awhile do you know any objects in the game that may have been modelled accurately. The ducati, soccerball or barrels perhaps?

If so you can extract that item and Lara with graverobber and compare or use that item as your measuring stick.

jjamesbennett
22-12-10, 01:12
Lara Croft is definitely 5 foot 7 inches tall. I honestly thought she would be shorter than that. In Underworld the comparison between her, the male characters & Natla were huge. She was at least 2 feet shorter than Natla, which I guess is understandable because Natla is an Atlantian. Even when it came to the normal male characters she was tiny in comparison. When compared to Zip or Winston she was tiny. I would have guessed 5 foot 4 inches or 5 foot 5 inches. Anyway, she is for sure 5 foot 7 inches. This came directly from her creators, & it's very recent. I know this thread is old, but I hope I helped! Happy Raiding. :D

QiX
22-12-10, 02:45
Wow, man! This is what i call a talent for archaeology, you first post and you found a 2 year old thread :D

Welcome to TRF by the way :)

Titak
22-12-10, 11:22
Welcome to this forum, jjamesbennett! :wve:

Thank you for your information but it is not at all relevant anymore, since in the TRLE we can only work with the height she has there and her height in the TRLE is shown on the first page of this thread.