PDA

View Full Version : Broadband slow lane?

Neteru
06-04-08, 00:52
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44539000/jpg/_44539414_computeruser203.jpg

We all know that America is the technology hub of the universe. It is home to Intel, Microsoft, Apple, Sun, Google, YouTube, Yahoo, MIT - the list is endless. So why, when it comes to the basics, like delivering the internet to its citizens, has it fallen way behind many other nations?

In Manhattan people pay about $30 (15) a month for a download speed of three megabits per second (Mbps) via a DSL line. Many people are very happy with that, until they realise what is going on elsewhere in the world. "In Japan you can get 100 megabits for $35," says Selina Lo of Ruckus Wireless.

"I think that has penetrated some 30% of subscribers. The government is targeting for 100 megabit services to penetrate 60% plus of the subscriber base in a few years. If you look at places like Hong Kong and Europe, in many places you can get over 10 megabits from your broadband network."

Ten years ago, dozens of small DSL companies offered American consumers ever decreasing rates to the point where the businesses collapsed. Today most New Yorkers have two choices for home net - via their phone or cable TV company. But in New York state 52% of residents do not have any internet access, especially rural areas and low income families.

"We haven't been able to overcome those barriers in terms of increasing the technology adoption rate of those households that are on or below the poverty level," explains Dr Melodie Mayberry-Stewart, New York State's chief information officer. "I think if you look at where the US is compared to other countries, given our speed, we're not competitive with other countries."

Limiting use

The lack of competition has had other consequences. Comcast, the nation's largest residential cable TV and net company was recently accused of interfering with the downloading of video files. Internet video directly threatens the popularity of traditional TV, so Comcast's answer is to curtail download speeds for its biggest users.

"As we get more and more things that tie us into the internet - Xbox 360, IPTV services, all sorts of broadband gaming - we're all getting online more and more," says Jeremy Kaplan executive editor of PC Magazine. "And rather than opening up and getting better service, most of these cable and DSL companies are really trying to limit what we do, put caps on what we do. As consumers we're suffering from that."

Public wi-fi efforts have also been held back. Several city governments have given up or reduced efforts to provide blanket coverage for their residents. This is because they have been worn down with lawsuits and lobbyists working for the telephone companies, who want consumers to rely on expensive cell phone plans to access the net on the go.

"Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore - they all have wi-fi in public areas. People can access broadband internet when they're out in public," says Ms Lo. "It is the cheapest way to offer public access. As a quality of life, as a city service, I don't know why our city government just don't do that."

Full story bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7329992.stm)

thecentaur
06-04-08, 00:57
that's insane. we should also be the ones with faster connections. maybe other countries revolutionized the connection...

edit, now it's a poll, so i have about 54 mbps

Mr.Burns
06-04-08, 00:57
It's pretty frustrating with the lack of speeds we're offered. For people living in the rural areas, they have access to dial with speeds at around 28.8kbps, if they're lucky. I install satellite internet systems for some people and I have to say for 49.99 a month, they only get 512kbps download rates. It's not great, but they'll pay for it since they don't have access to anything else.

USP
06-04-08, 01:06
It's pretty frustrating with the lack of speeds we're offered. For people living in the rural areas, they have access to dial with speeds at around 28.8kbps, if they're lucky. I install satellite internet systems for some people and I have to say for 49.99 a month, they only get 512kbps download rates. It's not great, but they'll pay for it since they don't have access to anything else.

Damn.

Dakaruch
06-04-08, 01:08
Well in here(Portugal) i pay 25(which is more or less what Americans pay for the 3Mb connection)for a connection with 2Mb per second!
It's expensive, and not good, since my connection keeps falling into 256Kb per second, or even less. Also the download speed never passes the 60Kb speed, and that speed only happens when i am using the 2Mb. It's a shame that we do not have better connectivity with all the money we pay for the service.
Besides some of the internet providers here use the profits money to get rich, instead of investing on new internet lines, with a larger broadband. It's a shame!

At least we have wireless access points that are free to anyone who have a computer with wireless. Not everywhere though, only on the big commercial buildings.

Neteru
06-04-08, 01:22
I was a bit stunned when I read this story, because as far as I knew, America was always well ahead of the game. At least it was in the early internet days. I remember still being on a 56k connection way back in 1996 (when the first TR came out) when many Americans I spoke to were on much faster connections. Mind you, it was also 40 a month here for a 128kb connection then too - as I recall, and it's only in the last couple of years that prices have dropped to reasonable levels. Obviously much has changed. It will be interesting to see if the poll supports the story.

thiagosmr
06-04-08, 01:30
Im in Brazil!! 8 Mb! Still not good....

Mr.Burns
06-04-08, 01:33
It probably will Net. Average broadband speeds for dsl is 3-6 mbps. Cable modem services are usually 6-15mbps (15 being the top end on many cable providers). My provider has a maximum headroom of 15mpbs and have started offering speeds at that rate, so now they're operating with no spare headroom. Those that have access to fiber optic networks are able to get higher speeds. Verizon's Fios network offers 30mbps down and 15mbps up for $139US with annual agreement. I know that depending on the university, schools can usually have faster networks. But for the average consumer in the states, it's usually 3-10mbps.

Neteru
06-04-08, 01:49
Verizon's Fios network offers 30mbps down and 15mbps up for $139US with annual agreement..:eek: That's appalling!

Mr.Burns
06-04-08, 01:52
:eek: That's appalling!

$159US per month if you go on a month to month basis.

interstellardave
06-04-08, 01:53
The US is more and more becoming a backwards nation. Unthinkable just 30 years ago, I suppose, but the evidence keeps coming in...
Actually I don't know my speed, but I pay $40.00 a month for it (comcast). It's pretty good but not so good, as the article says, when you know it could easily be a lot better!

JUST CHECKED... mine is operating at 54 mbps...

I must confess that I don't understand this... how can my speed on Comcast be almost twice that of the FIOS I keep hearing about? I took that reading off the PC that is connected to my wireless network here at home, not any Comcast paperwork, so it must be true.

Neteru
06-04-08, 02:02
$159US per month if you go on a month to month basis.

Even worse. I can't but view such ISP behaviours as greed. My service is a 24Mb service and it costs me juts 18 a month ($36). Oh, and my minimum contract period is just one month.

JUST CHECKED... mine is operating at 54 mbps...

I must confess that I don't understand this... how can my speed on Comcast be almost twice that of the FIOS I keep hearing about? I took that reading off the PC that is connected to my wireless network here at home, not any Comcast paperwork, so it must be true.That's the maximum speed your wireless connection is capable of. Not the actual speed your bb connection is. You can test here (http://www.speedtest.net/)

interstellardave
06-04-08, 02:07
That's the maximum speed your wireless connection is capable of. Not the actual speed your bb connection is. You can test here (http://www.speedtest.net/)

My result was 26545 kbs... is that 26.5 mbs? I should be able to logically figure it out but my brain is fried right now. :o

It does say that my connection is faster than 96% of connections worldwide! :yik:

Neteru
06-04-08, 02:09
Precisely 25.9Mb (26545 divided by 1024). Your deal seems just about on par with my service then, if not better actually. With a number like that, I imagine your line must be capable of better off peak.

Andariel
06-04-08, 02:10
Im on Time Warner Cable which is pricey but only because I use their digital, international, premium w/on demand, phone etc all together. I checked America (NYC) up to 100Mbps.

Mr.Burns
06-04-08, 02:11
I just did a speed test from www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com) I'm currently at 2.5mbps down and 360kbps up. Of course it's a Saturday night so the high schoolers are online right now, normally I get about 6-8mbps. Still, it's rubbish.

Scratch that. I just tried the site you provided Net. I'm coming up with 9.3mbps down. Still, not the greatest.

interstellardave
06-04-08, 02:15
Precisely 25.9Mb (26545 divided by 1024). Your deal seems just about on par with my service then, if not better actually. With a number like that, I imagine your line must be capable of better off peak.

Yeah, I'm usually very happy with it... then I hear about 100 mps and I wonder. Still, not that many people probably have that--or are really getting those results. Thanks for that website; it was enlightening!

Neteru
06-04-08, 02:18
I just did a speed test from www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com) I'm currently at 2.5mbps down and 360kbps up. Of course it's a Saturday night so the high schoolers are online right now, normally I get about 6-8mbps. Still, it's rubbish.

What I have noticed more in this country is traffic shaping by ISP's. So it's typical to find people on an up to 8Mb connection and they're only getting under 2Mb at peak times. Even cases of under 1Mb. In my case I got fed up of paying for a service and not getting it. Toward the end of my period with my previous ISP, I was getting typical speeds of around 700k when I was paying for up to 8Mb. In short, rip off. I'm very happy with my current ISP so far, and they're the first in this country to offer an ADSL2 service.

Yeah, I'm usually very happy with it... then I hear about 100 mps and I wonder. Still, not that many people probably have that--or are really getting those results. Thanks for that website; it was enlightening!You should do several tests over a period of time to get a better idea of your average and to see if you suffer any fall off at peak times.

interstellardave
06-04-08, 02:20
What are considered to be the peak internet times?

Soma Holiday
06-04-08, 02:21
At home I have 24 k hehehe. I'm at school at the moment and I get 100mbs...but my xbox live play sucks...I don't get why? I'm assuming 100mbs is great since its the highest on the poll...

but yeah...I have dial-up at home, just cause we can't get access to anything else, and we aren't gonna pay for satellite. :p

Neteru
06-04-08, 02:24
What are considered to be the peak internet times?It varies between ISP's, but generally 6pm to 10pm would be considered absolute peak. Some ISP's take that right up to midnight though.

Mr.Burns
06-04-08, 02:24
With DSL, the benefit is a dedicated line so the speed is constant. I'd have gone with that but the local telco company wants a two year commitment whereas Time Warner offers a month to month basis but since it's effectively a network, it gets slower when more users are online. For the most part the current speeds that I get are good enough for me since the most I'll use is occasionally talking to someone on Skype. But that's about it.

MiCkiZ88
06-04-08, 02:32
1mb ADSL connection here. And it's over 77€ per two months. It's cheaper in south Finland where it's around 25€ per month for 2mb, and 50 or something for 8 or more mb. And we do have 100mb connection as well. Don't know how much that costs though.

findme
06-04-08, 02:49
I'm on 8mbs(Service provider says) but most of the time I just get 6.8.

I'm happy with it to be honest. But we just can't afford any higher speeds since we dont really need it.

Eddie Haskell
06-04-08, 03:10
I'm on 8mbs(Service provider says) but most of the time I just get 6.8.

I'm happy with it to be honest. But we just can't afford any higher speeds since we dont really need it.

That's the best you can hope for if the service is ADSL2+, as I have with Earthlink. There are certain issues and facts that hold back speed. Check this (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/473)

And one other thing. DSL and cable are two entirely different types of systems. From what I understand, cable is like an electrical circuit where all of the subscribers in a given area in series, and ADSL2+ is like the same electrical circuit in parallel. So cable can get bogged down with too many users and DSL cannot in this fashion.

Natey168
06-04-08, 03:21
Um..I live in America and have 768kbps, but I don't know what that is in MB.

Mr.Burns
06-04-08, 03:26
That's the best you can hope for if the service is ADSL2+, as I have with Earthlink. There are certain issues and facts that hold back speed. Check this (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/473)

And one other thing. DSL and cable are two entirely different types of systems. From what I understand, cable is like an electrical circuit where all of the subscribers in a given area in series, and ADSL2+ is like the same electrical circuit in parallel. So cable can get bogged down with too many users and DSL cannot in this fashion.

Yup. My connection gets slower in the afternoon once the kids come home from school. Of course my main drop line from the main junction is RG-59 :hea:

spikejones
06-04-08, 03:28
I didn't respond to the poll because my speed isn't on there. I have a 5 mbps download speed and a 300 kbps upload speed. Sucks. But oh well.

To be honest, I don't know if a cable connection could run at 100 mbps. The old 10Base2 and 10Base5 coaxial cable ethernet standards (10 being the speed in mbps and the last number being the maximum distance in meters before signal loss) has been replaced by newer technology such as 100BaseT and 1000BaseTx twisted pair ethernet (100 and 1000 mbps respectively). But with twisted pair cabling, the increase in speed is offset by the maximum distance before signal loss being much less than the older standards. So therefore CAT6 cabling isn't a viable medium to use for WAN connections. There is a solution to this providing much more security, speed, and distance before signal loss - Fiber Optics. In order for the home user to get the full potential of a fiber optic connection they would have to have fiber run straight into their computer from the ISP, no other slower medium in between. Running new fiber lines straight to everyones homes will take big bucks because that stuff definitely is not cheap. And where is that funding going to come from?

Neteru
06-04-08, 03:46
That's the best you can hope for if the service is ADSL2+, as I have with Earthlink.

Surely you mean ADSL. The maximum for ADSL2+ is 24Mb, which is what I'm on.

I didn't respond to the poll because my speed isn't on there. I have a 5 mbps download speed and a 300 kbps upload speed. Sucks. But oh well.

Yours will be an up to 8Mb service.

spikejones
06-04-08, 03:48
My result was 26545 kbs... is that 26.5 mbs? I should be able to logically figure it out but my brain is fried right now. :o

It does say that my connection is faster than 96% of connections worldwide! :yik:

hey, I just looked at the comcast website and did some research. It looks like that number you got from the test is a bit of a stretch. They have a speed boost feature that will temporarily boost download speeds for the first 10MB of a file. Other than that, the only packages I saw were 6Mbps and 8Mbps. Pretty much what TimeWarner/RR gives its customers 5Mbps or 8Mbps, but I've never seen any kind of speed boost feature.

I’m on Time Warner Cable which is pricey but only because I use their digital, international, premium w/on demand, phone etc all together. I checked America (NYC) up to 100Mbps.
Again, TWC only provides 5-8 Mbps to the best of my knowledge. I'd like to see a screen shot of your speedtest.net (www.speedtest.net) results to satisfy my curiosity.

Eddie Haskell
06-04-08, 04:05
Surely you mean ADSL. The maximum for ADSL2+ is 24Mb, which is what I'm on.

I know that ADSL2+ can get to 24. However, here in Chicago with standard "retail" DSL it seems that 8Mb is the tops for ADSL2+. Earthlink only offers the 8Mb service along with their telephone service (Covad supplied), but it is actually a pretty good deal ($74 for dsl and unlimited phone service). As far as I am aware of, they are the only one to offer it to the general public here, and with 8 being the top speed. They do have a standalone 6Mb service.

Now businesses are different matter. The US is divided up into a mess of telecoms and fiefdoms.

Here is my latest test:

http://www.dslreports.com/im/48820619/67943.png

interstellardave
06-04-08, 04:13
http://www.speedtest.net/result/255766226.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

http://www.speedtest.net/rank/1144152240.png?random=52969

Maybe I fall under the "your results may vary" category, LOL! I don't pretend to understand any of this, but they're telling me my connection is pretty darn good...

rowanlim
06-04-08, 04:20
I'm not in America & my speed is 11Mb :p

nick-xx
06-04-08, 04:51
As the poll only has 8mbps and 24mbps, i just voted 8mbps, but my connection is 16mbps.

Neteru
06-04-08, 05:17
Dear me. Some people really can't read.

Excepting the first option for both in America and not in America, the speed options in the poll are up to. Therefor, if you get 16Mb, your line speed is up to 24Mb.

Elysia
06-04-08, 08:44
*Looks around for the box marked 'I'm not in America and I haven't got a clue what my speed is because I'm a dribbling luddite, but I do know Virgin/ NTL gave me a free upgrade recently to a number bigger than last time, but can't remember what it is...'*

Kamrusepas
06-04-08, 09:02
"I am not in America and my speed is up to 2Mb."

It was supposed to be upgraded to 2Mb, but it seems more like the old 1Mb to me :(

Drone
06-04-08, 09:16
voted

Archetype
06-04-08, 10:07
currently on 4mb with virgin media and soon 10mb.. but 4mb still feels like 56kb :/

Stupid internet providers and their 'sharing bandwith'

Tomb Raider Master
06-04-08, 11:07
Voted.

stranger1992
06-04-08, 11:37
http://www.speedtest.net/result/255856028.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

That is my Speedtest. I am clueless to say if its good or not but there u are. :D

Elysia
06-04-08, 11:44
Okay, I asked Uernerd, and he said we might be 2MB, but we might be 4MB, he can't remember when the last upgrade happened and if it has happened or not, but we are definitely getting upgraded to 10MB soon because that is going to be the Virgin / NTL standard....

.... and then he talked gobbledygook for a bit about how the higher speeds don't really count (don't ask me why...) and how things do things and users and interfaces and then he started going on about this thing he's doing in C# and that he doesn't want to use something called ASP, and so I therefore quickly lost interest, nodded occasionally and went off to google for new pictures of Jason Momoa to add to my already burgeoning collection.

:D

Upshot it, I *think* we're 4MB.

Punaxe
06-04-08, 12:15
At home I have 3Mbps for about 30 euros, which is pretty expensive, but it's our only option because we haven't got a phoneline.
At work, I have either 100Mbps, or 1Gbps :D

MiCkiZ88
06-04-08, 12:16
It was supposed to be upgraded to 2Mb, but it seems more like the old 1Mb to me :(Which company do you have? I remember Elisa saying something about the internet connection doubling it's speed (even for those who already own it) for half the price. But I still pay 77€/per two monts for a megabyte. Not really fun.

Eddie Haskell
06-04-08, 13:04
Dear me. Some people really can't read.

As long as you have been here and you don't know that yet? :D

Neteru
07-04-08, 02:49
As long as you have been here and you don't know that yet? :DOk, ok, you got me. :D I should have realised.

I also tended to think that because I screwed up the poll anyway (and hoped nobody would notice :o :D) that some people would be really daft and vote more than once ... which they have. :rolleyes: So much for getting a good idea of the mix. More like a mixed idea of the good, as things have turned out.

ben croft
07-04-08, 04:06
I am not in America and my speed is up to 1Mb

:wve:

Zac Medley
07-04-08, 04:31
Part of the problem in the US is that cable companies and phone companies are running their netwroks through antiquated crap that is falling apart. Most of the country was wired for cable TV in the 1970s, and they are just using the pre-existing hardware. The cable box on my apartment building has no cover on it and it looks like a heap of giant black spaghetti hanging off the wall of the building. 3 times I have suddenly lost my conection and gone outside to see that someone had disconnected my line, connected their own, and there was a piece of cable going to the upper balcony and in through someone's front door.

I pay for a download spped advertised as up to 1.5 MBPS, but I have never see a download go much faster than 180KBPS.

Angel666
07-04-08, 04:58
I live in the middle of no where and my speed is about 40kps. They don't offer DSL or Cable here. Well, across the street from my house they do but not on my side. It's the dumbest thing ever.

EgyptianSoul
07-04-08, 05:12
Not american and I have a 2MB connection. :) I pay about 37 for it every month.

ivannnnn
07-04-08, 07:15
I am not in America and my speed is up to 100Mb.

Night Crawler
07-04-08, 10:23
In the UK and I pay 25 a month for 10mb. :tmb:

kryptonite23
07-04-08, 14:20
I am not in America and my speed is up to 100Mb.

nicola1986
07-04-08, 15:30
I'm in the UK and I have 8MG broadband thought it doesn't seem like it most of the time :pi:

attaboy
07-04-08, 16:20
I pay 35€ for 24mb :jmp:

Capt. Murphy
07-04-08, 18:34
I am in America and my speed is 56k or less.

..And I refuse to pay $50 more for.... DSL speed plus "Unlimited Calling" charges added to my phone bill. It's already an average of $45.00 a month. And all I have is Caller ID, Metro(something) -it allows me to call a major/large nearby city without it being long distance, and call waiting. And I almost make 0 calls during ANY month! I might call my father, my work, or some place to get something fixed. Yet... I do dial-up to get on the internet, and that's almost everyday.:o

The phone companies are corrupt -IMhO. AND I don't need/want cable/satellite. I hardly ever watch T.V..

maximum_123
07-04-08, 19:09
I am not in America and my speed is up to 8Mb. (Well... right now I am.. but usually.)

For 18 pounds a month... this keyboard doesn't have a pound sign XD

Geck-o-Lizard
07-04-08, 19:13
We're paying for 8MB but only actually get 2MB, 3 on a good day. Phone company hasn't upgraded our lines for years, so that's as high as we can go without shifting to a different medium. I think it's about twenty quid a month.

[edit] http://speedtest.net/ says N. America has the top average speed in the world. How does that relate to the article?

MoonSword
07-04-08, 21:13
I am not in America and my speed is up to 8Mb.
More than enough so far.

Apofiss
07-04-08, 21:49
Ls15 ~ 15 for 10Mb which is reasonable considering a good ping most of the time.

kooky
07-04-08, 22:33
I am an American & my speed is up to 8MB.

Our internet cost $22.99/month! :D :tmb:

Mr.Burns
07-04-08, 22:39
That's better than the $45/month for 8MB that I pay Kooky.

Tihocan9
07-04-08, 22:48
My connection is at 100Mbps, for about 49.99 a month. My provider is Earthlink. My wireless on the other hand sucks, it is pretty slow, not sure what speed it is though.

MiCkiZ88
07-04-08, 22:55
My connection is at 100Mbps, for about 49.99 a month. My provider is Earthlink.:eek: Damn, that's cheap. Divide that by 100 and you've got my internet speed, but keep the price almost the same.

Tihocan9
07-04-08, 23:07
:eek: Damn, that's cheap. Divide that by 100 and you've got my internet speed, but keep the price almost the same.

I think it is that cheap because it is sort of a bundle deal, I get that price when I bundle Time Warner's High Speed Internet with its Digital Phone and Cable TV. Maybe it has to do with where I live as well.

MiCkiZ88
08-04-08, 00:46
Ah, well that might explain it. I bought a bundle deal for a laptop and a mb internet from Elisa (worked as Elisa/Vodafone in the UK... don't know why I chose them.. they are freaking expensive). Costs me 124€ per two months, and it's for two years. The good thing is that after two years I can always upgrade to a better laptop (or PC) from them, and keep the old one.

trXD
08-04-08, 01:06
I have very fast internet, my family can afford it. Oh and im not american.

Lafa Cvoft
14-04-08, 08:06
50 mb not from America :)

Punaxe
15-04-08, 20:10
http://files.noctifer.net/broadband1.jpg

http://files.noctifer.net/broadband2.jpg

maximum_123
15-04-08, 20:31
Well the reason that it's $6.18 in UK is because the is the strongest currency. That kinda sucks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Christi
15-04-08, 20:59
lol? I don't know what the whole connections ideal is bt mine is REALLY, REALLY fast, so I put 100mb.

ECB
15-04-08, 22:43
Where's the I'm in America and have no clue what my broadband speed is?

:p

spikejones
15-04-08, 23:13
I think it is that cheap because it is sort of a bundle deal, I get that price when I bundle Time Warner's High Speed Internet with its Digital Phone and Cable TV. Maybe it has to do with where I live as well.

I didn't know Timewarner offered an Earthlink service? I thought it was only Road Runner they offered. Any how, can you post your http://www.speedtest.net results for me. I have a hard time believing that is your actual speed. Are you sure that is not just the speed you are getting off your LAN connection?

I pay 34.95 a month to Time Warner for this:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/259877543.png (http://www.speedtest.net)