PDA

View Full Version : Sciences are the only Career Choices?

Tombcool
06-04-08, 18:48
Ok, I am a year and a half away from University, and my career options are very slim.

My parents are forcing me to go into Sciences or else they won't fund for my University. They think that if I go into University for one of the sciences (Bio, Chem, or Physics) I am guaranteed a career 99% of the time. But then again, I hate Sciences (even though I am good at them) I even asked if I could go into something like Business, but they said "no" because if I go into something like Accounting I am probably not going to get a career after University.

I really wanted to go into one of the Arts (Fine Arts, English, History, etc...), and my parents said i'll end up working at McDonalds if I go through one of those paths.

I don't get it, all the middle-eastern kids (and many other kids) at my school have parents who want them to go into Sciences. My peers keep telling me that the only career you can get is one with Sciences involved.

Science today isn't even about helping people anymore, it is about the business behind it.

I don't know what to do.

EgyptianSoul
06-04-08, 18:55
Parents always plan out what they'd want their children to become. My family wants me to be an artist cause I've got the talent for it. But I don't yet know what I truly want.

You should be able to decide your future for yourself. Your parents will understand eventually, whatever decision you make. :)

Veronica Ma
06-04-08, 18:59
Ok, I am a year and a half away from University, and my career options are very slim.

My parents are forcing me to go into Sciences or else they won't fund for my University. They think that if I go into University for one of the sciences (Bio, Chem, or Physics) I am guaranteed a career 99% of the time. But then again, I hate Sciences (even though I am good at them) I even asked if I could go into something like Business, but they said "no" because if I go into something like Accounting I am probably not going to get a career after University. I don't know too much about the job market in the sciences but I can tell you that in finance and accounting there is a demand. And if you like Business, you'll be good at it too. But I would talk to your school councellor or others at your school to help you get more information to give you and your parents some informed choices.

Mr.Burns
06-04-08, 19:00
You can still go to school but you'll have to get financial aid. Don't be pressured into something you know you'll hate. Going into the sciences isn't a guarantee on getting a good job. I would do some research and see what the top fields are. Arts can be hard to get into, depending on what aspect you want to specialize in. The problem is when people hear the term "arts" they think that you will be a starving artist. What they don't realize is that there is a business behind all art forms and in many cases you can do quite well for yourself. Take photography for example. That's what I wanted to go into but was pressured by my family to go into either computers (which I apposed) or film making. At the time I tried arguing that I could make a decent earning in the photography industry but my family wouldn't listen to me. They were convinced that I wouldn't make any money and be poor. Little did they know that the film industry is even harder to get into. Now after a few years out of college I've made up my mind to go back into photography but to be a college level photo teacher. I will have to pay for this which I am prepared for but at the same time, I'd be doing something I love (photography) and still getting paid for it. You can try and convince your parents by showing statistical data and that sort why they are misinformed but my guess is they won't listen to reason.

They're concerned about you having a good life when you are older and don't want to see you fail but it sounds like they may be forgetting that happiness is also important. Why be in a field your successful at but hate for your entire life. It's a hard decision to make but if you go with your gut feelings, be prepared for the fall out wither it be in terms of finding a job later on or from you parents. I would hope that in the end, they would support your decision. Hope this has helped a bit.

digitizedboy
06-04-08, 19:03
I think you have to show them what kind of things you can achieve with arts and English. There's lots of things. I mean there's media, there's teaching, graphic design... etc...
I mean at then end of the day what would you rather do though, be analyisng things in a lab which gazillions of other people do, or be creative, original and maybe make something new and original which people will adore you for.

Quasimodo
06-04-08, 19:04
There is definitely a stigma attached to liberal arts degrees. To be fair, some liberal arts degrees are risky to undertake - if you want to become a visual artist or graphic designer, you have to keep in mind that the degree will cost you about USD 60,000 (that's the quote I got from an art school near me), but most of the work you can hope to get is freelance. If you've got enough confidence in your skills and you're ready to be competitive and take those risks, then by all means go for it.

If I were you, I would be tempted to go into sciences if that meant tuition fees would be taken care of...but, university and a career are going to take up a large chunk of your life, so it might as well be something you enjoy. You could also compromise by finding a branch of science that relates to your liberal arts interests - sociology or anthropology, perhaps?

Margot*Croft
06-04-08, 19:09
I can tell u that I understand precisely what u mean:).
After finishing High school, my parents wanted me to study Chemistry so badly, for the same reasons that your parents mentioned (though, at the time, I wanted to become a Biologist). After two months of uneasiness :(, I decided to start making my own decisions, no matter what they would say; after all, I have never let'em down in my "student life":p I know they were trying to make my own good, but that was not what I wanted!
Unfortunately Italy is not that up - to - date in the scientific field, and I eventually started studying Jurisprudence ... I'm so happy with my own choice, and, even if, at the beginning, it was a bit hard to try and convince them that I had made the right decision, my parents are so satisfied with my results, too!
On the contrary, had I continued studying Chemistry, it would have been a disaster. You're about to make a fundamental choice (and u already know about it); be sure that you do what is best for YOU, and you will surely be self - satisfied!!;)

Earthcane
06-04-08, 19:13
Seriously though, speaking from experice, DONT let your parents force you into anything you don't want to do.

Follow your heart! My Dad pressured me into a prestigious college course for one reason- the prestige is all for him. And now I half hate it.

But enough about that. Tombcool, are you into science? Can you picture yourself steering towards labcoats and beakers of fluids and mathetmatical whatsits? (Not a sterotype in sight in this post!) Then if you like the subject, there's no harm in giving it a shot.

Another thing: I've seen some of your artwok in the fanart forum- If I was a graphic designer, I'd hire you on the spot!

Angel666
06-04-08, 19:21
No matter what you do in college a job is almost never garunteed. I say do what you want. Apply for financial aid and do something you love. There is no point in doing anything that you know that you hate. Chances are even if you get a great job and make lots of money you'll still be miserable b/c you're doing something you hate on a daily basis. Don't let them pressure into anything. Parents don't always know what's best for you.

Cochrane
06-04-08, 19:26
I'm studying science, and I have a hard time understanding why people study art when most of those who do eventually seem to end up in jobs that are not what they studied for. Still, studying something you absolutely hate isn't going to be a good idea in the long term, because chances of you failing are much higher. I think that yes, science is really a better choice as far as career is concerned, and I can never understand why people think it's not fun, but that's just me. Do what you think is best.

Drone
06-04-08, 19:28
do as you please. You don't have to always listen to your parents. And science still helps people

Angel666
06-04-08, 19:40
Yes, but if you don't like something you are unlikely to be successful at it. Art helps people too. There's art therapy, art education, etc. There are plenty of jobs in the art field. Restoration (wich would delve a bit more into chemistry I would imagine, since they use chemicals). Being a practicing artist can be profitable if you have a good head for business. Art is half marketing you know, and graphic design is huge right now. I intend to become an art history major myself so I don't know about much else in the liberal arts vein.

Punaxe
06-04-08, 19:46
Well, your parents' reasoning seems flawed... If anything, it's not just that sciences will get you a job, it's that graduating from university will get you a job, no matter the field. And if you don't want to do the things they want to pay for, they will end up paying for nothing either way!

myrmaad
07-04-08, 11:49

My parents are forcing me to go into Sciences or else they won't fund for my University. They think that if I go into University for one of the sciences (Bio, Chem, or Physics) I am guaranteed a career 99% of the time. But then again, I hate Sciences (even though I am good at them) I even asked if I could go into something like Business, but they said "no" because if I go into something like Accounting I am probably not going to get a career after University.

I really wanted to go into one of the Arts (Fine Arts, English, History, etc...), and my parents said i'll end up working at McDonalds if I go through one of those paths.

I don't get it, all the middle-eastern kids (and many other kids) at my school have parents who want them to go into Sciences. My peers keep telling me that the only career you can get is one with Sciences involved.

Science today isn't even about helping people anymore, it is about the business behind it.

I don't know what to do.

What about computer science? There will always be jobs for that in any foreseeable future now. And you could use what you learn to work in gaming later if you wanted. Take a minor in fine arts. My first love is the field of my minor degree, not my major. I can incorporate both into my career choices.

Encore
07-04-08, 13:13
From what I know about people who had the same problem, I would say don't follow a certain course just because your parents want you to, if you don't like it. It is a terrible thing. Most people who do that, they give up in the middle of the course and either change to something they like (but lose some years), or leave university entirely.

rowanlim
07-04-08, 14:24
I would tell you if it was possible, go for what you're truly passionate about. I've seen your art & you've immense talent.

For myself, I chose chemical engineering because I honestly wasn't sure what course to take & it was the one that appeals most to me, but didn't speak to my blood, if you get what I mean. Now in the course, the subjects are interesting & sometimes quite fun to learn, but I realized my true passion is in music. I am now wondering if I should continue my music education after I graduate or focus on becoming a really good chemical engineer. It's still something I'm mulling over.

My advice would then be: Life isn't always as it seems. You will NEVER know what will happen down the road, who knows, perhaps at your college/uni, you'll get your big break...That's just a possiblity. Then again, like I said, if you can do what you really want, then go for it. Prove to your parents that there are great opportunities in arts & that YOU CAN MAKE IT BIG THERE. All the best dear :hug: :tmb:

Tombcool
08-04-08, 20:50
Sorry for the late reply, I was reading all of your helpful points. :)

Myrmaad, you brought up doing a minor in something I like? However, my parents do not want me to touch art at all, or else they will cut off my University funds. I asked them if I could get into other types of arts-type careers such as Psychology, or Anthropology (as Quasi mentioned), but they just said "No". Their reasoning is always the same, and that is that if I go to any career other than Sciences; I will not find a good-paying career period!

I wanted to get into Medical Illustration, but that requires me having a portfolio for Art School after doing a Biology major. However, my parents did not let me take Art in High School, so I am portfolio-less (course selection requires parent signature). That career is not a choice.

I do like some Science, like Chemistry, but my teachers ruin it for me. They don't care, they don't teacher. My Chemistry teacher last semester would always hand out worksheets and leave class half-way through to get his lunch and eat it.

I have noticed that many many people in Sciences are miserable, and they don't care about helping people and/or teaching it. They care about money. I was recently in Egypt, and the only (private) surgeon at a beach I was at refused to do surgery on a little boy because his family didn't have the money. He had half of one of his arms dismembered from falling glass. That is one example, and I have seen many others, and not only in 2nd-3rd world countries.

My parents are both in Sciences, my dad was a famous Professor here in Toronto for Chemical Engineering (he has all the degrees - PhD, Masters, etc...), sadly passed away from Liver Cancer two years ago. He told me that the synthetic medication he took lessened his longevity, and I remember that until today. My mother is an Agricultural Engineer (at least that is what she tells me)?

Then there is the thought of making my parents happy...

Punaxe
08-04-08, 21:12
It seems to me that your parents have a rather skewed view of the education and career market. Maybe it is an idea that you invite them to a conversation with your school's counsellor? Counsellors are professionals in knowing what is really going on in those markets...

Seb_01225
08-04-08, 22:19
tbh

HELL WITH YOUR PARENTS

they're obviously trying to control you
so don't let em

:)

Geck-o-Lizard
08-04-08, 22:21
Well... I thought art was the path for me, but I ended up hating it and I've barely done anything creative at all since I quit the course last year. But I also believe you should do what YOU want to do with your life, not what your parents want. Just don't burn any bridges you may find you need later.