PDA

View Full Version : Key hole position

Piega
07-04-08, 19:57
Hi,

I was wondering if Lara could use a key just between two squares. For now Lara will walk in the center of a tile. Just like with medipacks in older games were lying on the edge. I presume it is hardcoded?

I would really like to know as I'm struggling on how to setup correctly in design. I already tried to move the keyhole mesh but it does not work.

thecentaur
07-04-08, 20:27
i'm not at all an expert, but did you calculate the collision of the keyhole mesh? like i said, i'm not an expert at all >.<

ReeceMix
07-04-08, 21:26
Im sure I did this during one of my experiments, try moving laras keyhole animation position over to the side, inbetween the two squares, I think that makes it work , the keyhole mesh is just a mesh its not something the engine directly interacts with. the trigger itself tells the engine that there is a keyhole on that square and play laras keyhole animation , so when you move it it should work :D

Piega
08-04-08, 16:39
I have got a message with a solution but I must try it first. As for the above suggestions I think it does not work. And thecentaur ofcourse I calculated the collision, I'm building seven years already ;) When Lara stands in front of the keyhole Lara will sidewalk exactly to the center of the square. Moving Lara would flip her half a tile to the side and back again.

Thanks anyway :)

Spikey
08-04-08, 16:53
So you want to place an object on the division between two squares? Fexinspect can move objects to other positions in the square if that's what you want...It doesn't work well for all objects as the collision sometimes gets messed up, but for puzzle holes/keyholes/switches/pickups it should work fine.

You just need to open your level in Fexinspect and then click on the object you want to move, then hold Shift and use the arrow keys to move it about, then save your .tr4 file once you're done. The downside is that you have to do this every single time you output your WAD, because it loads the data from the .tr4 files instead of the PRJ, so it's best to leave it until the final version of the level has been completed.

Piega
08-04-08, 17:14
Thanks, this is what I needed to know!!! I did not think it was possible, editing the TR4 file is no problem!!! Thank you YES!!! It's for the the final confrontation and I cannot solve it another way :) Wow, just checked. Works marvelous! There is still things to be learned :)

ReeceMix
08-04-08, 17:17
The downside is that you have to do this every single time you output your WAD, because it loads the data from the .tr4 files instead of the PRJ

Once its been changed doesnt 'TrUpdate' allow you to rip the TR4 File with wadmerger and put it back into a wad?

Spikey
08-04-08, 17:21
@Piega: I'm glad it works. :D

@ReeceMix: I really have no idea...and I also have no idea what TrUpdate is (unless it's a feature of the newer Fexinspect, I use the older version you see). Maybe you could try it out yourself and let us know what the results are? :)

GeckoKid
08-04-08, 17:24
it won't work :P the data of the position is not in the wad :P

ReeceMix
08-04-08, 17:45
@Piega: I'm glad it works. :D

@ReeceMix: I really have no idea...and I also have no idea what TrUpdate is

I havent actually used it myself but once collsion has been applied with fexanim you run trupdate on the modified TR4 file and then you can rip it with wadmerger with the applied collision. Sortly after wadmerger included a collision feature for animatings but it still doesnt work 100%.

GeckoKid
08-04-08, 17:47
it's got nothing to do with collision... it's the position of the object placed on a square, which is not stored in the wad file.

ReeceMix
08-04-08, 17:53
it's got nothing to do with collision... it's the position of the object placed on a square, which is not stored in the wad file.

I was just explaining what Trupdate did for spikey

Piega
08-04-08, 18:29
It even works on enemies, this is also perfect! I moved every frame half a tile in the animation editor but the rotation is wrong this way and the shadow stays in the center. Now everything is solved and shadows are kept :) Now my game ends in style :D

Spikey
08-04-08, 18:32
It also works on the Lara object, if that's any use. :)

I don't think it works on statics though, because I can't seem to select them...at least on my version of the program anyway.

Piega
08-04-08, 19:56
Statics is no problem as I can move those in meta. It is really the interactive items to play with :) Good point about Lara!!! I need her to start in a cutscene in the center of four tiles :tmb: Who would thought fexinspect to be so useful!

sapper
09-04-08, 00:30
SkateboardKid's version of fexinspect let's you move statics. Also add statics, duplicate statics, change object id's etc. Very good program.
See this post (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=2182607&postcount=33) for link & info.

Spikey
09-04-08, 09:10
Thanks sapper, that's great. :tmb:

I remember trying this version of the program a while ago, but it didn't work on my PC for some reason, but now it does. :D

Titak
09-04-08, 17:58
So you want to place an object on the division between two squares? Fexinspect can move objects to other positions in the square if that's what you want...It doesn't work well for all objects as the collision sometimes gets messed up, but for puzzle holes/keyholes/switches/pickups it should work fine.

You just need to open your level in Fexinspect and then click on the object you want to move, then hold Shift and use the arrow keys to move it about, then save your .tr4 file once you're done. The downside is that you have to do this every single time you output your WAD, because it loads the data from the .tr4 files instead of the PRJ, so it's best to leave it until the final version of the level has been completed.

I've never used Fexinspect but Piega claims this trick works, so I'd like to know... Does this also work with pickups?
You know in TR4 the pickups are always in the middle of a square and if you want to put more than one pickup on a square they end up inside each other.

Could this Fexinspect trick also allow one to place the pickups next to each other? :confused:

Btw, where can I find Fexinspect?
I just tried Lara's Levelbase but couldn't find it...

thecentaur
09-04-08, 18:01
http://www.aspidetr.com/index.php?section=search&Therms=fexinspect&type=tools&SubType=name

:wve:

stranger1992
09-04-08, 18:05
Wrong version, we need FexInspectSK by Skateboard Kid. :wve:

Titak
09-04-08, 18:06
And where can that version be found then? :D

thecentaur
09-04-08, 18:08
'kay then:

http://www.larashome.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23357&hl

Titak
09-04-08, 18:10
Thank you! :hug:

Titak
09-04-08, 18:26
:vlol:
I don't think Fexinspect can handle very higly detailed objects in one room! :vlol:

http://www.trle-hosting.net/levels/upload/HM/MoA/fexinspect.jpg

Otherwise it works like a charm! :tmb:
I tested with a pickup item and Lara picks it up, no matter where it is on the tile. :D

ReeceMix
09-04-08, 18:51
I don't think Fexinspect can handle very higly detailed objects in one room!

Ive had the same problem with FexAnim, The other fexinspect, fexmerger (and strpx if its over 1000 faces) where have these program authors gone?

Titak
09-04-08, 19:13
Yes, Fexanim does the same thing.
Would be nice if the authors could update the programs for us poor souls. :D

Black Thorn
09-04-08, 22:28
I don't think Fexinspect can handle very higly detailed objects in one room!
Does that mean your whole "courtyard.TR4" file get screwed up, or it's just the internal Room Viewer that makes that mess? :confused:

ReeceMix
09-04-08, 23:44
Would be nice if the authors could update the programs for us poor souls
I put in a request at LH using your pic :)

Titak
10-04-08, 22:17
^
Thank you! :D

Does that mean your whole "courtyard.TR4" file get screwed up, or it's just the internal Room Viewer that makes that mess?It still looks okay ingame. :D

stranger1992
10-04-08, 22:19
http://www.larashome.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=23357&view=findpost&p=484007