PDA

View Full Version : Insight

rr_carroll
08-04-08, 02:11
Relevant to gaming. From a two-page article about insight in Science News - March 22, 2008:

"...the brain activity that arises during four generally accepted components of insight, which has been studied for more than 60 years.

"A mental impasse occurs first. In this frustrating state, a person gets stuck on an unsuitable approach to a problem or on a few obvious but dead-end candidate solutions, can't think of anything else, and, temporarily, gives up.

"Next comes restructuring, a mental transfer from an intense focus on unusable concepts or information to a broader consideration of potentially relevant knowledge. Many researchers regard restsructuring as the unconcious retrieval and recombination of long-term memories.

"Deeper understanding follows. A more appropriate grasp of the problem and its solution, still lurking outside awareness, elicits an intuitive feel for the answer.

"Finally, the correct answer leaps into conciousness without warning and triggers a feeling of 'Aha!'"

So as you can see, if you feel stuck and frustrated, it's not the end, it's the beginning! Go do something else for a while, maybe even a couple of days. It could even be another part of the same game.

Then comes the restructuring. Some people even report dreaming about Tomb Raider.

When the "Aha!" comes, it's one of the biggest rewards of playing the game. Don't go to a walkthrough too fast, or you'll cheat yourself out of a lot of pure pleasure. :)

Neteru
08-04-08, 03:05
Can you link to this article?

Shark_Blade
08-04-08, 03:53
The classic tomb raiders is a great example for that. TRA is a bit like that as well like Qualopec's tomb entrance and Eqypt. :)

rr_carroll
10-04-08, 20:28
Can you link to this article?
I hope this works:

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20080322/bob9.asp

It might work for me because I have a subscription to the magazine.

MiCkiZ88
10-04-08, 20:31
When the "Aha!" comes, it's one of the biggest rewards of playing the game. Don't go to a walkthrough too fast, or you'll cheat yourself out of a lot of pure pleasure. :)Agreed. :tmb: I don't like using walkthroughs, simply because they ruin the game for me. I want to figure things out on my own, and it's much more rewarding when you think yourself.

Neteru
10-04-08, 20:36
I hope this works:

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20080322/bob9.asp

It might work for me because I have a subscription to the magazine.Thanks. :tmb:

rowanlim
10-04-08, 20:41
Interesting article! I've always wondered about how we get that sudden burst of understanding & comprehension! :tmb: :)

Dingaling
10-04-08, 20:48
A regular occurence with me sometimes! And yes, even the dreams do get infected with me solving the problem (and I have once woke up from a dream, jumped out the bed and found out the solution in my dream WAS the correct way to do something in a game).

Thanks for the article rr_carroll, it's interesting to think about how we actually think about these things subconsciously :).

Cochrane
10-04-08, 21:05
Typical chain of events with debugging. "Hm, why doesn't it work? I'll just change something and see whether something else changes. Doesn't work, let's analyze the problem. Ah, there it is! Fixed."