PDA

View Full Version : Man attempts to steal statue's ear and is fined

Neteru
09-04-08, 08:49
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44551000/jpg/_44551837_ear_ap_226_170b.jpg

A Finnish tourist who chipped an ear off one of Easter Island's world-famous statues has been fined $17,000 (8,500) and told to stay away for three years.

Marko Kulju, 26, deposited the money into a bank account overseen by the court that handled his case, Easter Island prosecutors said.

He also wrote a public apology for damaging one of the statues, which are protected under Chilean law.

The statues of Polynesian ancestors are believed to be up to 1,000 years old.

Kulju called his attempted theft of the ear "the worst mistake of my life" in comments published by the Santiago daily newspaper La Tercera.

Full, insane story bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7337927.stm)

TheStoryteller
09-04-08, 09:16
The article says he could have faced 7 years of prison for this.

Looks like Lara is about to be sentenced for 5xLife if anyone decides to prosecute her :D

Archetype
09-04-08, 09:20
thats one valuable ear!

MrBear
09-04-08, 09:49
Why would someone do that (rhetorical question)?! He's destroying something that everyone can admire for selfless purposes... *sigh*

It's bad enough we won't have a genuine rainforest in the near future - at least keep ancient constructions out of harm's way..

Geck-o-Lizard
09-04-08, 09:57
How big was the ear? That's what I wanna know. I thought those statues were pretty monolithic. Did he try to stuff it in his suitcase or what?

Margot*Croft
09-04-08, 10:00
I think that such behaviours are awful!
The very same thing has happened in Florence so many times!
In "Piazza Signoria" (one of the most beautiful squares in my city ... my fav, actually ;)) there is an ancient fountain that represents a standing Poseidon surrounded by horses. In two different situations, people destroyed a horse's head just "for sport", and broke one of the statue's hands while trying to climb it ... I have no words to describe such deeds ...
Moreover, our Mayor is considering reducing the number of tourists that can enter the world - known "Museo degli Uffizi" daily, 'cause it's being nearly destroyed by some of them. Many peolpe try to take pics even if it's not allowed (as the lights comin' from their cameras corrode the paintings' colours), they try to touch the statues and paintings themselves ...

I really cannot understand why many people show no respect for art; it's our world's memory, and I think everyone should worship it :)

Obscure
09-04-08, 10:19
Serves him right in some respects. Lets just hope they're able to restore the ear.

Rivendell
09-04-08, 10:26
It's always a shame when someone disfigures something so old.

I laughed at the title though - I thought it said 'Man attempts to steal statue's ear and is fiend'.

Vertigo
09-04-08, 10:40
So many idiots.... I know a girl who wanna climb to one of the Egyptian pyramids. I told her that it`s idiotic to climb to ancient beautiful buildings and she said "I don`t care". Well maybe I`ll hit her by stone and then I will say "I don`t care"?

McGloomy
09-04-08, 10:49
People tend to mourn the perishability of beauty but on the other hand they are often the ones responsible for it.

...now I can guess where the arms of Venus de Milo went. :cln:

bloodstormaoa
09-04-08, 10:52
Such a donkey :rolleyes:

Beanz
09-04-08, 10:59
Hmm, My mum's ex had to defend a guy (he's a lawyer) for stealing a bus to get somewhere quicker, but why would you want the ear of a statue? :confused:.

ajrich17901
09-04-08, 11:00
Wow...if lara was real shed be huntin him down right now lmao

Forwen
09-04-08, 11:03
Reminds me of Planescape: Torment. Did this statue try to curse him afterwards?

...now I can guess where the arms of Venus de Milo went. :cln:

C'mon, Venus was more or less dug up that way already, even if it had been that Marko who made if off with her arms the time for prosecution has probably expired.

Margot*Croft
09-04-08, 11:17
So many idiots.... I know a girl who wanna climb to one of the Egyptian pyramids. I told her that it`s idiotic to climb to ancient beautiful buildings and she said "I don`t care". Well maybe I`ll hit her by stone and then I will say "I don`t care"?

Yeah, probably that's the best way to make'em understand fine arts' value

Obscure
09-04-08, 11:21
Wow...if lara was real shed be huntin him down right now lmao

If Lara was real she'd have been fined so much that she wouldn't be able to pay her way out of her Life Sentences for destroying so many historical treasures.

DREWY
09-04-08, 12:08
I was just saying to that statue the other day..
I SAID I WAS JUST SAYING TO THAT STATUE THE OTHER DAY..

Really. What people will do for money. Lucky it wasn't the Statue of David!

findme
09-04-08, 12:53
Why the ear? Not the nose? Strange people...and surely it didn't take him like a minute to chop it down, why didn't anyone notice?

I thought it was a tourist attraction with security and stuff...guess not then?

EgyptianSoul
09-04-08, 12:55
What kind of a person would try to steal a plain ear from a statue. :rolleyes:

MiCkiZ88
09-04-08, 12:58
What the hell? I'll have to check the local news later today. It's a tad hilarious, but then again.. there are so many idiots living here. *le sigh*

@Findme: Many tourist atractions have zero security. There were some guards at Egypt, but they couldn't really care less if you started climbing in the great hypostole hall.

zappo3000
09-04-08, 13:14
Hmm, My mum's ex had to defend a guy (he's a lawyer) for stealing a bus to get somewhere quicker, but why would you want the ear of a statue? :confused:.

exactly. why the ear?:confused:

Seb_01225
09-04-08, 13:22
well hes abit stupid does he know how important they are. LOL

what an idiot

jackles
09-04-08, 13:45
Oh well someone has to say it...

ahem..

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears....

DREWY
09-04-08, 13:49
Oh well someone has to say it...

ahem..

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears....

Well he would, but some one stole one :p

Neteru
09-04-08, 13:51
I was just saying to that statue the other day..
I SAID I WAS JUST SAYING TO THAT STATUE THE OTHER DAY..

Really. What people will do for money. Lucky it wasn't the Statue of David!

:vlol:

exactly. why the ear?:confused:I really had to wonder myself. Very bizarre.

george_croft
09-04-08, 13:55
Maybe the ear was the most fragile part and easiest to steal ? I mean, look at it, the next best thing he could chip off is the goatee, and that isn't exactly the most interesting thing to have in your collection. :p

DREWY
09-04-08, 14:01
Maybe the ear was the most fragile part and easiest to steal ? I mean, look at it, the next best thing he could chip off is the goatee, and that isn't exactly the most interesting thing to have in your collection. :p

Not to mention the fact you would need a jack hammer or a small charge of explosives to get it off the head. THAT might draw unwanted attention.

rowanlim
10-04-08, 02:17
Jeez what an idiot. So irresponsible...I hope they'd be able to restore that piece or at least keep it safe :(

Shark_Blade
10-04-08, 04:03
Thats a very selfish and disrespectful act. :mad: