PDA

View Full Version : baby born with two faces considered a goddess

stereopathic
09-04-08, 16:46
a little girl born in india with a deformation called "craniofacial duplication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniofacial_duplication)" is worshipped by hindu villagers as the goddess durga.

story with video (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/04/08/baby.heads.ap/index.html)

http://www.pylontemple.com/images/tr/Lali.jpg

whoa!

Vertigo
09-04-08, 16:49
Reminds me of X-Files episode....
Goddess? No!
Patalogy? Yes! :(

findme
09-04-08, 16:49
Haha what silly people.

Neteru
09-04-08, 16:51
^ Quoth he of great insight and wisdom. :rolleyes:

I'm not quite sure if this is the same baby I read about some weeks ago.

Anyway, what a refreshing change for such a child to be worshipped as a goddess, rather than being outcast, as is so often the case for people with deformities. I have to say also, the baby looks quite beautiful to me. Remarkable.

Domino
09-04-08, 16:56
Are both faces fully functional? O.O I'm stunned by this news.

Angelus
09-04-08, 16:57
It's amazing... but wrong at the same time.

findme
09-04-08, 16:58
I feel so sorry for the baby though.

stereopathic
09-04-08, 16:58
Are both faces fully functional? O.O I'm stunned by this news.

according to the news piece, all four eyes, both noses and mouths are functional.

Quasimodo
09-04-08, 17:02
Can you imagine being able to see out of four eyes at once? Hopefully the baby is healthy.

stereopathic
09-04-08, 17:06
according to wikipedia (and confirmed by all external sources), this deformation is caused by an excess of a protien called "sonic hedgehog homolog." no joke.

thecentaur
09-04-08, 17:08
.... and the world gets stranger every day...

stranger1992
09-04-08, 17:12
.... and the world gets stranger every day...

You rang?

It looks like a photoshopped picture. Not saying it is but its the type of things people do on it.

thecentaur
09-04-08, 17:13
You rang?

It looks like a photoshopped picture. Not saying it is but its the type of things people do on it.

TBH, i really thought you were going to post directly after me making some sort of smart *** comment about what i just said :p lol

jackles
09-04-08, 17:20
There was a recent case of another child who was revered as a reborn godess.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7082305.stm

The villagers didn't want the child to be operated on.

Greenkey2
09-04-08, 17:31
@ Jackles: yes, I saw the Horizon special about her.

Both children are truly remarkable.

Neteru
09-04-08, 17:56

The villagers didn't want the child to be operated on.Ah! Thank you jackles, that was the story I had read.

Drone
09-04-08, 18:03
now damaged dna is cconsidering as a divinity? great

Andariel
09-04-08, 18:07
She’s a beautiful human being but I worry about her having complications in the future. I wish her a lifetime of happiness.

touchthesky
09-04-08, 18:08

The villagers didn't want the child to be operated on.
I saw a TV show about that, was extremely moving.

That baby posted on the first page is adorable, I hope her future is bright.

Evan C.
09-04-08, 18:08
Poor baby :(

jackles
09-04-08, 18:13
Ah! Thank you jackles, that was the story I had read.

you're welcome

I would suggest that as there are several multi-limbed gods etc within the hindu pantheon that genetically there has been a tendency for such children to be born, but instead of sticking them in orphanages or leaving the children to die they have always been seen as holy.

Margot*Croft
09-04-08, 18:15
I really don't know what to say. Of course, I hope the baby is healthy, but, at the same time, I wonder if she'll be able to live a "normal life". What I mean is: I hope that breathing, eating ecc. is not painful for her :( In case it is, I hope doctors can do something to help her ;)

stranger1992
09-04-08, 18:16
Can she see out of those 4 eyes? rude question but its something that be miraculous.

thecentaur
09-04-08, 18:20
according to the news piece, all four eyes, both noses and mouths are functional.

:wve: this makes me wonder if religion will triumph over [necessary] sciences.

trXD
09-04-08, 18:24
Can she see out of those 4 eyes? rude question but its something that be miraculous.

:wve: this makes me wonder if religion will triumph over [necessary] sciences.

its possible its just hard to imagine for us because we have two eyes. Many creatures have more than two eyes. Like flys or bees:D

Seb_01225
09-04-08, 18:41
i think shes cute
can she talk to herself
like have a conversation with one head then talk back with the other
she can be her own best friend if she can

tomblover
09-04-08, 18:51
I sound like your garden variety ***** right now but the baby scares me a little. :o

Hope she's healthy though.

Chiki Mina
09-04-08, 19:05

Well...It's better than considering it as being "evil" or an outcast, IMO ;)

Drone
09-04-08, 19:10
Well...It's better than considering it as being "evil" or an outcast, IMO ;)

it's better just to help those poor people. In novadays surgery can help so much. But everything depends on money :cen:

Ada the Mental
09-04-08, 19:17
I hope the will manage to lead an as normal as possible life, without serious health problems. And surely being worshipped as goddess can't be easy.

Hmmm...The case of the conjoined twins reminds me of a House MD episode.^_^

tranniversary119
09-04-08, 19:22
Wow well that's different never seen somebody with two faces. She's lucky if both faces function :p

NightWish
09-04-08, 19:28
WOW I never even knew this is actually possible! at 1st when I saw it looks liek an animation! Ad to be honest I understand pople even workshipping her. In ancient times and even nowadays in more slowly developping places people workship even for less! I still remember a national geographic article about an african tribe that still worships a white man that visited them about 30 years ago! :eek: and taht was it! thay had an old photo of hoim and he is just white...
But 2 heads.... to be honest what intrigues me here is the feeling. I just cant imagine what it can be with 4 eyes, 2 noses and mouths.... I have always wondered butnever thought it is possible!

jackles
09-04-08, 19:28
I wonder if the romans would have revered her as a god (think of Janus a two headed god)

People would have been born throughout the ages, caring for them as holy would have ensured their survival. In very recent times they would have been placed in freak shows for less enlightened people to gawk at.

Laurencarter
09-04-08, 19:34
Wow

Draco
09-04-08, 19:35
Typical humans, attributing something like this as some kind of proof of god.

NightWish
09-04-08, 19:38
I just watched the vid and still teh abb doesnt look real to me! I know it sounds weird bu could it be a fake? because on he vid the baby didnt blink or move at all!:eek: ANd I am 100% sure babies blink :p

Lara Coft Baby
09-04-08, 23:07
You rang?

Actually it dont really like photo shopped. :p

Gregori
09-04-08, 23:20

Of course, you're so above humanity :)

Condescending intellectual vanity is so charming. Well if there is no God, you can always appoint yourself that role effectively.

btw, the two faced baby looks really awesome and cool!:jmp:

Bumio
09-04-08, 23:21
a little girl born in india with a deformation called "craniofacial duplication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniofacial_duplication)" is worshipped by hindu villagers as the goddess durga.

story with video (http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/04/08/baby.heads.ap/index.html)

http://www.pylontemple.com/images/tr/Lali.jpg

whoa!
photoshop :whi:
kidding of course, its terrible :(

Sweets
09-04-08, 23:22

Whats wrong with that?

Shrantellatessa
09-04-08, 23:22
Hummm...interesting social phenomenon...

Gregori
09-04-08, 23:24
photoshop :whi:
kidding of course, its terrible :(

Photoshop can do horrible things..

KC Mraz
09-04-08, 23:34
Considered a goddess?. Déjà vu (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/11/05/eightlimbed-toddler-beli_n_71208.html).

Larapink
09-04-08, 23:36
Aw the poor baby :(

Birth defects like this do happen it's not fake.

domina
09-04-08, 23:36
:eek: Well, that's one way of looking at it. Interesting.

Soma Holiday
09-04-08, 23:55
That's incredibly interesting in my opinion...just because the possibilities of so many birth defects, I'd never seen anything like this before. It makes you feel incredibly lucky to be the way you are...even though you won't be treated like a goddess without really really trying. :)

rowanlim
10-04-08, 02:26
That's interesting. I only hope she will be happy in life. I hope there won't be any physical complications. Definitely she can't lead a normal life. Sounds something like that boy in India who was thought to be the reincarnation of Buddha. I watched in a documentary that the boy went missing. I wonder where he is now :rolleyes:

silver_wolf
10-04-08, 02:29
HOLY-ahem...interesting. Well, at least she'll get the good type of special treatment.

star-dust
10-04-08, 02:30
It's really quite interesting.
It is much better than the
baby being turned away
because she has two faces.
I wish her the best in the future.
:):)

oocladableeblah
10-04-08, 02:31
That's so weird in an interesting way not a freak type of way. I guess she could see who is on both sides of her. I wonder if her smelling and sight would be any better. What if she needs glasses would both sets of eyes need them?

aquaflute
10-04-08, 05:03
I don't like how so many people here think its "weird" or "strange". It's not like everything you can't understand is "weird". It's just their culture.

And the little girl is lucky to be born in such a culture! People treat her like a goddess not a monster.

Neteru
10-04-08, 06:01
Considered a goddess?. Déjà vu (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/11/05/eightlimbed-toddler-beli_n_71208.html).

Yes, Déjà vu (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=2624868&postcount=14).

EscondeR
10-04-08, 06:10
And the little girl is lucky to be born in such a culture! People treat her like a goddess not a monster.

Agreed with that part...

... but nevertheless I'm terribly sorry for the poor baby :(

ivannnnn
10-04-08, 07:46
I'm so sorry to look at the pic. I'm very thankful not have such face. :(

Yeah, the Hindus always worship their reincarnation of god/dess.

Keir_Eidos
10-04-08, 09:28
Wow. Poor baby. Imagine having four eyes. Would the brain be able to process all the information? Would the four eyes focus on the same point, or work in two sets.

I hope the parents let her have the CT scan and receive proper medical care.

I think the villagers reaction is another example of organised religion being irrational, fortuitously for the baby in this case.

dizzydoil
10-04-08, 10:05
.. and if she needs care? Will they choose religion over care, like that other case? :)
I sure hope not. I feel sorry for the kid, and if i was in such a state i would not like to be represented as a 'goddes/god' for plenty of reasons. Whats with all the gods/goddess's recently?

-edit- nevermind.. *was offensive. :wve:

Draco
10-04-08, 10:05
Of course, you're so above humanity :)

Condescending intellectual vanity is so charming. Well if there is no God, you can always appoint yourself that role effectively.

btw, the two faced baby looks really awesome and cool!:jmp:

I don't want to be god, but I find the automatic assumption that a mutation is some act of any god saddening.

Whats wrong with that?

Because if anything, it is further evidence there isn't a god.

Keir_Eidos
10-04-08, 10:06
.. and if she needs care? Will they choose religion over care, like that other case? :)

Yeah, good point :(

Muhammad
10-04-08, 10:49
Well you guys should respect other people's beliefs, no matter how weird they sound to you.

But if the baby's condition is fatal, and an operation could save it, then the baby should be kidnapped and saved IMO.

rowanlim
10-04-08, 11:06
Well you guys should respect other people's beliefs, no matter how weird they sound to you.

But if the baby's condition is fatal, and an operation could save it, then the baby should be kidnapped and saved IMO.

What? Kidnapped? Don't you think that's a little extreme? Plus the crowd that revers this child would go ballistic.

Beanz
10-04-08, 11:19
It's amazing... but wrong at the same time.

Yeah, imagine what school will be like for the poor thing :(.

Draco
10-04-08, 11:22

You just contradicted yourself.

Scaramouche
10-04-08, 11:23
thats rather strange i wish her all the best in life but goddess is going a little bit far

peffect
10-04-08, 11:26

Anyway, what a refreshing change for such a child to be worshipped as a goddess, rather than being outcast, as is so often the case for people with deformities. I have to say also, the baby looks quite beautiful to me. Remarkable.

What about a surgery to fix that?
I'm not sure if this is possible, though.

kryptonite23
10-04-08, 11:27
I've heard that news on the television last night and that was the second time I saw a twin with that disability.I am wondering what will happen in the future.

Neteru
10-04-08, 11:43
What about a surgery to fix that?
I'm not sure if this is possible, though.I think it is a deep shame of any society whereby someone borne with a deformity would need to have surgery in order to 'fit in', or be more 'accepted'.

peffect
10-04-08, 12:02
I think it is a deep shame of any society whereby someone borne with a deformity would need to have surgery in order to 'fit in', or be more 'accepted'.

The problem is more of a self-acceptance/self-benefit than being accepted or fitting in.
I know, his case is really complicated but I doubt he's gonna appreciate life as every other person, knowing that a surgery is going to help.
I'm not saying he has to do a surgery but if ever that happens to be possible, it's really all what's good for him.

EscondeR
10-04-08, 13:05
I think it is a deep shame of any society whereby someone borne with a deformity would need to have surgery in order to 'fit in', or be more 'accepted'.

It highly depends on the deformity, Net...
We're on outer side of the problem anyway, can't judge for 100% sure... Though I won't wish anyone ever to be on the inner side!

aquaflute
10-04-08, 14:00

I second this completely. No matter how weird or strange the Indian culture may sound to us. At least the girl is "accepted" in a way. While so many people on this forum only want to change her to become something she is not so she can be "normal" or "accepted" to us. I don't see why cant she has two faces if that's what she's born to be. Perfectly fine with me.

Mr.Burns
10-04-08, 14:16
Given that everyone is quoting you Net, I'll pass but I agree with you're most recent comment.

The problem is more of a self-acceptance/self-benefit than being accepted or fitting in.
I know, his case is really complicated but I doubt he's gonna appreciate life as every other person, knowing that a surgery is going to help.
I'm not saying he has to do a surgery but if ever that happens to be possible, it's really all what's good for him.

If the villagers revere the child and treat it well, I suspect that when the question of "why am I different" comes up, then it will be answered in a manner that will allow self-acceptance to come more easily.

Draco
10-04-08, 14:21
If the villagers revere the child and treat it well, I suspect that when the question of "why am I different" comes up, then it will be answered in a manner that will allow self-acceptance to come more easily.

You don't have qualms with a girl being raised to believe she is a goddess?

Mr.Burns
10-04-08, 14:24
You don't have qualms with a girl being raised to believe she is a goddess?

Nope.

touchthesky
10-04-08, 14:26
The thing is, before having surgary, you can give a child a chance. If she accepts herself for how she looks and loves herself then I don't see why she shouldn't be able to live her life that way.

If she wants surgery fine.

Of course if it was life threatening before she reached an age where she could make a decision then thats understandable.

Trevor_M92
10-04-08, 14:33
That's weird man, weird...

I cannot picture a guy having two fully functional faces.

Mad Tony
10-04-08, 14:34
That's certainly unfortunate. Hopefully the girl will live a happy, healthy life.

Draco
10-04-08, 15:51
Nope.

Why not?

NightWish
10-04-08, 15:55

WOW! the weirdest thing is that India do has gods with more then one face and limbs. And bith those kids are born in india.. You know how you say in everything there is a dose of truth? well maybe this is how their gods came by...

jackles
10-04-08, 15:56
Personally if that was my child I would prefer it to be accepted in my society than regarded as a freak. In our society a child with any sort of blemish is often treated as a freak by it's peers. If by society accepting it meant that it would be treated as a goddess then it would be better for it than shunned.

After all many far less deserving cases are treated as virtual goddess in our society.

Mr.Burns
10-04-08, 16:01
Why not?

Do you?

jackles
10-04-08, 16:06
Consider the Hensel Twins...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=425736&in_page_id=1

(this is an old article, they are nineteen now I think) Loads of images of them if you care to google.

Now should we have cut the head off one of them to make them acceptable?

Draco
10-04-08, 16:33
Do you?

I generally frown on people who think they are better than anyone else...which is the only conclusion someone raised to believe that way will think without some kind of opposing viewpoint.

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-04-08, 17:20
More than likely this baby was supposed to have a twin that did not fully develop; therefore, I would assume only one of the faces is functional.

But then again, that's my guess. It's not like I've never been wrong before. :p

Edit: BTW, I kind of have to agree with Draco on this one... No one should grow up to believe they are a god/ goddess, that disgust me. That teaches nothing but arrogance. Celebs are bad enough about it, I can't imagine a little girl growing up to believe she's a goddess.

We're all the same, bottom line. No one is born better than anyone else, nor are there any factors that make anyone better, be it race, genealogy, education, job, etc.

stereopathic
10-04-08, 17:32
after a little research, i discovered that this defect is caused by the excess of a particular protein. while at one time it was thought to be a result of conjoined twins, the baby doesn't come from a "fusion or incomplete seperation of two embryos." and amazingly, the doctors who examined her say that all four eyes, both noses both mouths and both ears are all functioning! wow to that.

i also learned that the facial duplication is reproduced in a mirror image. so the left most eye is the duplicate of the right most. ditto the two inside eyes. etc...

jackles
10-04-08, 17:44
Does anyone seriously think that this poor child will be wandering around looking down at people? Everytime she looks in the mirror she will be aware of how different she is. Don't you think it will hurt her that she will never look the same as everyone else.

When her mother says she is beautiful what will she think? Will it make life better? Will it pay the dowary so that she can marry? What do you think her life will be like really?

Move beyond the religous perspective to the human aspects behind it.

Endow
10-04-08, 18:09
Wow. I wonder if the brain could evolve in a way that enables it to support the functions of her double organs.

I wonder if her vocal cords are alright and if she would grow up to be able to talk with both mouths.

Hope she can eventually be operated since at the end of the day it's always hard to grow up being different.

lita212
10-04-08, 18:22
tbh i think the parents should keep her as she is and let her decide what she wants to do. the only way she will feel uncomfortable about having to faces is because society are ******s n will make her feel like a freak. ppl are born a way for a reason

Mad Tony
10-04-08, 18:24
More than likely this baby was supposed to have a twin that did not fully develop; therefore, I would assume only one of the faces is functional.

But then again, that's my guess. It's not like I've never been wrong before. :p

Edit: BTW, I kind of have to agree with Draco on this one... No one should grow up to believe they are a god/ goddess, that disgust me. That teaches nothing but arrogance. Celebs are bad enough about it, I can't imagine a little girl growing up to believe she's a goddess.

We're all the same, bottom line. No one is born better than anyone else, nor are there any factors that make anyone better, be it race, genealogy, education, job, etc.Well said Melonie. She should be brought up in a society whereby she is treated the same as everybody else, not above them. This child being hailed as a goddess is not a good thing by any means, that being said, nor is the child being an outcast a good thing. As I said earlier, the best thing that could've come out of this would be if she was accepted and treated like a normal human being just like everyone else.

stereopathic
10-04-08, 18:33
tbh i think the parents should keep her as she is and let her decide what she wants to do. the only way she will feel uncomfortable about having to faces is because society are ******s n will make her feel like a freak. ppl are born a way for a reason

great point. this is exactly what should be done.

Christi
10-04-08, 18:47
I think the baby is so cute:o

Lara.Jolie7
10-04-08, 20:14
Can you imagine being able to see out of four eyes at once? Hopefully the baby is healthy.

Wow , true and weird

oocladableeblah
10-04-08, 21:46
I don't like how so many people here think its "weird" or "strange". It's not like everything you can't understand is "weird". It's just their culture.

I don't think it's weird that they are treating her like a goddess I just think it's awe or interesting and weird as in you don't see it everyday. Maybe weird isn't the best word for it, I don't think she is a freak and I know that stuff like this has happened before.

Christi
10-04-08, 23:56
she should be treated like everyone else...

Hairhelmet12
11-04-08, 02:50
OMFJWTHMFSGDG
I just seen the two faaced baby...O___O *eye twiches*

i wonder if the baby grows up and is two faced HA! what joke!

no but really that looks nasty no offence:(

Mad Tony
11-04-08, 10:44
she should be treated like everyone else...Exactly. And I think that is the thing I can agree with most. She shouldn't be treated like a freak or made to feel different to everyone else, but she shouldn't be treated above everybody else either.

Benguitar
11-04-08, 12:41
Goddess? No.........No.....No.

Creepy? (ya!)

Just another deformed human? (Yep) ;)

tampi
11-04-08, 12:56
It is not the product of an accident.
It ALWAYS has been thus. Therefore it will not have the concept of I was handsome and now I am not it.
In US live two children united by their body live and they are absolutely happy.
The luck that she has is to have been born in India.
In the "occident", surely already she "would have died" before being born.:whi:
In India she is loved by her family and her community.
WE have the problem:o, not she.

Reggie
11-04-08, 15:28

Precisely what I thought. :tmb:

Muhammad
11-04-08, 17:38
You just contradicted yourself.
No I didn't,
In my first statement, I said that people shouldn't make fun of other people's beliefs. It is the diffrence that makes us humans.
In my second statement, I said if the baby's condition is fatal, then it would be considered a crime not to save the innocent baby's life. In that case, force must be used to fight such crime. If the baby's condition is not fatal, force ceases to be an option.

Draco
11-04-08, 18:35
No I didn't,
In my first statement, I said that people shouldn't make fun of other people's beliefs. It is the diffrence that makes us humans.
In my second statement, I said if the baby's condition is fatal, then it would be considered a crime not to save the innocent baby's life. In that case, force must be used to fight such crime. If the baby's condition is not fatal, force ceases to be an option.

And if they believe that the 'condition' is an act of their god and if it is that god's will whether to 'cure' the 'condition' or not?

So you say respect people's beliefs until they contradict your own?

It must be hard to be a believer.