PDA

View Full Version : New Digitally Remastered GodFather Trilogy --- DVD Release

TombRaiderLover
10-04-08, 20:06
"A number of readers have seen this online (and thanks to all those of you who sent the link in), so we decided that it's finally time to comment on the subject. The BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) has just cleared 84 minutes worth of special features for a little something it refers to as The Godfather Trilogy Restored 2008 Bonus Disc. Yes, you read that right - The Godfather. Restored.

We can, in fact, confirm that The Godfather Trilogy has indeed been restored, and that our very own Robert A. Harris was involved in the project - a project backed by director Francis Ford Coppola and even Steven Spielberg no less (you can read a bit more on that here). The BBFC notice means that Paramount is likely planning to being The Godfather Trilogy Restored to DVD (and possibly even Blu-ray Disc) later this year. Note that we're posting all this in The Rumor Mill today, because the potential DVD release - and indeed the restoration effort itself - hasn't officially been announced by Paramount yet. As such, we don't have any more information for you right now than what we're offering here. But when the studio gives us the okay, and takes the cloak of secrecy off the project, Robert assures us that he'll have lots to say about it all for you here at The Digital Bits. So for those of you wondering why Robert's Yellow Layer Failure column hasn't been updated as often in the last year or so, NOW you know why. Hey... some things are just more important.

Stay tuned!"

Source: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#040408

Paramount Home Entertainment has just announced the DVD release of The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration for the 2nd of June, priced at around 29.99. The set will include all three films, remastered with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. A complete list of bonus material can be found below, along with the artwork.

Original Bonus Material

Director's Commentary for All Three Films
An Inside Look at the Creative Process Taking The Godfather from Book to Screen
On Location Production Designer Dean Tavoularis Looks at Some of the Original Locations for The Godfather Trilogy
A 73-Minute Documentary on the Origins of the Film Including Original Screen Tests and Rehearsals
The Godfather Behind the Scenes 1971 Featurette
Additional Scenes
The Cinematography of The Godfather
The Music of The Godfather
Coppola and Puzo on Screenwriting Storyboards
Animatic Storyboards
The Corleone Family Tree Character and Cast Biographies
Academy Award Acceptance Speeches
Photo Galleries with Captions
Theatrical Trailers Filmmaker Biographies

New Bonus Material

Godfather World (10:56)
The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn't (29:42)
When The Shooting Stopped (14:16)
Emulsional Rescue - Revealing the Godfather (19:03)
The Godfather on the Red Carpet (4:02)
Four Short Films on The Godfather: GF vs. GF Part II (2:15); Cannoli (1:37); Riffing on the Riffing (1:38); Clemenza (1:55)
Hidden Easter Egg: Cosa Nostra & Coppola

Source: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-godfather-trilogy.html

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41POl0SFhCL._SS500_.jpg

The boxset has been certified 15. ;)

Angelus
10-04-08, 20:06
Great acting, boring films. :p

Plus, my brother has already got the trilogy boxset. Money grabbing swines!

Lenochka
10-04-08, 20:07
What is so great about this movie? Everyone always seems to say they love it, I thought it was boring xD

Mr.Burns
10-04-08, 20:08
Turned off the first one after twenty minutes. Bit of a snooze fest in my opinion.

St4r
10-04-08, 20:08
Sounds great. I loved the first one but have never seen the others. Are they worth a look?

Drone
10-04-08, 20:09
brilliant and legendary film :tmb:

TombRaiderLover

BLASPHEMY!

I love these films. Engaging masterpieces. :p

I already own the boxset, but I'm considering buying the new release, as the films are digitally remastered. The older releases were too dark and grainy.

St4r - The second film is brilliant, almost equal to the original. The third doesn't quite match its predecessors but is still very good. :)

scion05
I've never seen them, but hear they're highly over-rated :wve:

Not to say I don't intend on trying them :wve:

Angelus
10-04-08, 20:11
BLASPHEMY!

I love these films. Engaging masterpieces. :p

I already own the boxset, but I'm considering buying the new release, as the films are digitally remastered. The older releases were too dark and grainy.

Maybe to you, but it bored the hell out of me. I don't see the point in buying the films again just for a bit of restoration. At least wait until a Blu Ray release.

TombRaiderLover
10-04-08, 20:15
Maybe to you, but it bored the hell out of me. I don't see the point in buying the films again just for a bit of restoration. At least wait until a Blu Ray release.

I'm a DVD geek. :p

I've already double-dipped for Chinatown, (girlfriend bought me the Special Collector's Edition), the first three Batman films, (bought individual 2-disc releases to replace my old boxset) Scum, (replaced my Prism release with the limited Collector's Edition, with the original and remake) Blade Runner (went from the barebones digitally remastered Director's Cut to the 5-disc ultmate edition). There are probably others, but they don't come to mind at the moment. :p

Angelus
10-04-08, 20:27
Wow... I'd probably only double dip for the 2 disc Batman films. :D

TombRaiderLover
10-04-08, 20:29
Wow... I'd probably only double dip for the 2 disc Batman films. :D

They were great. :p Seeing as the previous DVD were completely barebones and Forever was missing 1 minute and 30 seconds of "violent" footage. :(

Angelus
10-04-08, 20:36
They were great. :p Seeing as the previous DVD were completely barebones and Forever was missing 1 minute and 30 seconds of "violent" footage. :(

Yeah... it seems like the barebones releases were thrown out rather than produced properly. Are the 2 disc versions remastered?

TombRaiderLover
10-04-08, 20:37
Yeah... it seems like the barebones releases were thrown out rather than produced properly. Are the 2 disc versions remastered?

Yes, they are. I was rather surprised by the number of artefacts in Returns and Forever (most people wouldn't notice them, but of course I was comparing the picture quality, so I was looking out for them), but the colours and level of detail was top-notch.

Angelus
10-04-08, 20:44
Yes, they are. I was rather surprised by the number of artefacts in Returns and Forever (most people wouldn't notice them, but of course I was comparing the picture quality, so I was looking out for them), but the colours and level of detail was top-notch.

Ah, okay. I'll only be buying the first film and Returns, because I don't last Forever and Batman and Robin. :p

TombRaiderLover
10-04-08, 20:46
Ah, okay. I'll only be buying the first film and Returns, because I don't last Forever and Batman and Robin. :p

Lol, I definitely passed on the 2-disc edition of Batman and Robin. :p Although apparently, Schumacher apologises a lot on the commentary track, so it could be interesting. :p

Mr.Burns
10-04-08, 20:56
*looks at thread title, looks at Dale, realizes it's Dale* film nerd. :p

TombRaiderLover
10-04-08, 20:59
*looks at thread title, looks at Dale, realizes it's Dale* film nerd. :p

Meh. :p Us film nerds are the best nerd there are is. :p

SamReeves
10-04-08, 23:34

What a lot of horse manure. The Godfather and Godfather II are regarded as one of the greatest cinematic experiences of all time. However seeing what the current generation's taste is in cinema, I am not surprised that you don't like it! :tea:

When these digital remasters come out, I am worried about keeping the film's original atmosphere. I don't think I need to see any CGI at all in the Godfather. Maybe just to clean up some film specks or dirt, but that should be all that they do.

Mad Tony
10-04-08, 23:38
I love The Godfather films. I'd buy it if I had the money. :p
Although, I have to say, I personally found Goodfellas more enjoyable.

Carbonek_0051
10-04-08, 23:40
I love The Godfather films. I'd buy it if I had the money. :p
Although, I have to say, I personally found Goodfellas more enjoyable.

:smk::smk::smk:

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

Mad Tony
10-04-08, 23:51
:smk::smk::smk:

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!What's wrong with Goodfellas? It's awesome. :p

Carbonek_0051
10-04-08, 23:57
What's wrong with Goodfellas? It's awesome. :p

But more enjoyable then The Godfathers?

lol Hey it's your opinion;)

But these movies are classic movies and classic novels:)

Mad Tony
11-04-08, 00:02
But more enjoyable then The Godfathers?

lol Hey it's your opinion;)

But these movies are classic movies and classic novels:)Yes. Don't get me wrong, The Godfather is a classic, I just like Goodfellas a bit more. :)

Carbonek_0051
11-04-08, 00:04
Yes. Don't get me wrong, The Godfather is a classic, I just like Goodfellas a bit more. :)

I actually haven't seen the goodfellas in a long time, I grew up with these types of movies, my grandpa used to watch them all the time, he has goodfellas I might go back and watch it sometime...:)

Mad Tony
11-04-08, 00:06
I actually haven't seen the goodfellas in a long time, I grew up with these types of movies, my grandpa used to watch them all the time, he has goodfellas I might go back and watch it sometime...:)You should. Although The Godfather and Goodfellas are both gangster movies, Goodfellas gives an entirely different outlook on the Mafia thus making it quite different in certain ways.

Shrantellatessa
11-04-08, 00:06
Great news as I love the Trilogy :tmb: Although I had some hard time understanding what was going on coz I watched it a long time ago and I was too young to understand :p

Mr.Burns
11-04-08, 01:56
What a lot of horse manure. The Godfather and Godfather II are regarded as one of the greatest cinematic experiences of all time. However seeing what the current generation's taste is in cinema, I am not surprised that you don't like it! :tea:

When these digital remasters come out, I am worried about keeping the film's original atmosphere. I don't think I need to see any CGI at all in the Godfather. Maybe just to clean up some film specks or dirt, but that should be all that they do.

Well, as is the case with the film medium, it's highly subjective. I'm sure there were people that didn't like it when it first came out.

As for re mastering, I have to say George Lucas really ruined the concept of what re mastering really is. A digital re master can mainly consist of a new digital transfer straight from the camera negs, cleaned up and restored. It's not always a cleanup and add CGI. You should see some of the re mastering work that is done at the George Eastman House. I've seen movies from the 1970's that looks more clean and sharp than a Blu Ray DVD. Of course that's not saying much since film has a significantly higher resolution. *smacks self* Sorry, film nerd moment. :D

oocladableeblah
11-04-08, 01:59
I don't see what is so godly about these films I like them, but they're not the best. They are way too long.

TombRaiderLover
11-04-08, 18:30

I don't think the Godfather remastering will involve tampering excessively and adding things into the scene (*cough* Original Star Wars Trilogy.) Instead it'll involve removing print damage and generally making colour and detail crisper and clearer. Closer to how the films would've looked in their original releases.

Angelus
11-04-08, 18:32

So because my opinion differs from yours, it's wrong? My taste in film has got nothing to do with why I don't like the film.