PDA

View Full Version : Best of the epic movie franchises

Scottlee
11-04-08, 18:48
Requested by Lara Croft! The poll, if it hasn't already appeared, will appear shortly.

TombRaiderLover
11-04-08, 18:51
Other. The Godfather Trilogy. :wve:

Other honourable mentions are the Back to the Future Trilogy, the Alien Quadrilogy, the Spaghetti Western Collection, etc.

EDIT: Although I do also really like the four franchises mentioned in the poll. :)

Rivendell
11-04-08, 18:53
Damn, you can't make me choose between The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars! :pi: They're like two of my most favourite things ever.

EgyptianSoul
11-04-08, 18:55
None. I'm not into any of those series. :ohn:

touchthesky
11-04-08, 18:55
I chose other for "Halloween." It's epic to me, anyway.

Vertigo
11-04-08, 18:56
Where the **** is Alien!

Mad Tony
11-04-08, 18:57
I voted The Lord of The Rings, although I wish I voted Other because now that I think about it the Die Hard films are kind of epic. :p

Dakaruch
11-04-08, 18:58
I have chosen Star Wars, although it was really hard to choose between LotR and SW... Meh! :p

Margot*Croft
11-04-08, 18:59
LOTR! I love SW, too, but Tolkien's novels have accompanied me for years, and Jakson's movies as well! ;)

Devilian
11-04-08, 19:00
ALIEN!!!

Apofiss
11-04-08, 19:02
Hmm Star Wars.. I remember there was a green bug-alike creature (it spoke!), irritating guy (obiwan?) and a self-controling vacuum cleaner :D :whi:

Vertigo
11-04-08, 19:02
ALIEN!!!

:hug:

Samsdad
11-04-08, 19:05
Lord of the Rings has to be the classic of all classics. Star Wars started to lose it after the first three.

Now if you wanted to talk about the worst series there is

Police Story
Police Academy

Devilian
11-04-08, 19:06
:hug:

Want use Armat M41A pulse rifle or M56 smartgun? And what about M240 flamethrower?:D
.....,,Game over, man! Game OVER!" :jmp:

Mr.Burns
11-04-08, 19:08
Star Wars. Mainly for it's longevity and the way it managed to change the face of marketing and merchandising.

McGloomy
11-04-08, 19:11
Although Harry Potter is an important part of my life, I'd say Lord of the Rings. It's just the perfect trilogy. :)

Greenkey2
11-04-08, 19:14
Originally I would have picked Star Wars, but LoTR set the benchmark at an impossibly high standard. Tolkien & Jackson get my vote :tmb:

Kamrusepas
11-04-08, 19:16
Other/none.

(Hehee, it's Lord of the Rings, not Lords :ton:)

Vertigo
11-04-08, 19:17
Other/none.

(Hehee, it's Lord of the Rings, not Lords :ton:)

No, it`s LOTS of the rings!:ton:

MiCkiZ88
11-04-08, 19:18
Star wars - Bored me to sleep.
Harry Potter - Meh.. just not my thing.
LotR - Loved the movies, but as a scifi/action freak I'll have to choose:

The Matrix.

MrBear
11-04-08, 19:22
Now if you wanted to talk about the worst series there is

Police Story
Police Academy

I remember seeing one of the Police Academy movies (the one with the hot air balloons in the end) last year after not having seen them in a decade... I don't think I laughed more than a couple of times :eek: it's incredible how one's humour changes.. as a kid they cracked me up, now they're just boring..

As for the topic at hand, though - I can't choose.. I would probably go with Lord of the Rings if I wasn't aware that my love for the books certainly come off on my liking of the movies.. I'll give it some thought, though :)

Laurencarter
11-04-08, 19:23
None.
I have never seen any of those films.

AODdigger
11-04-08, 19:23
Star Wars for ****ing life!!

Melonie Tomb Raider
11-04-08, 19:59
LOTR, hands down

VonCroy360
11-04-08, 20:05
Harry Potter, just cause I love the books. I don't find any of the movies listed here particulary good. :)

Christi
11-04-08, 20:06
Other, soon to be... The Chronicles of Narnia:)

Devilian
11-04-08, 20:08
Well..I said i love Aliens, but I have in my mind next really great series...Terminator, Indiana Jones, Police Academy, Predator...

thiagosmr
11-04-08, 20:15
Lotr!!

Lara's home
11-04-08, 20:17
Harry Potter.
EDIT:
Didn't see it was a movie franchise.
Lord of the rings.

ajrich17901
11-04-08, 20:18
Harry potter for the simple reason i cant stand the other or i dont know what they are lol

SamReeves
11-04-08, 20:36
Star Trek by far is the best and should have been included in the poll. 10 movies which are second to none.

Nemo_91
11-04-08, 20:37
Harry Potter. :wve:

Elysia
11-04-08, 20:40
OOOooooo, that was hard... LotR or Star Wars?

In the end, I went with LotR, because nothing excuses The Phantom Menace imo... :p

jamieoliver22
11-04-08, 20:41
Lord of the Rings, of course :p

Thorir
11-04-08, 20:47
Lord of the Rings, as it is OK, while I hate the other ones.

LotR also has fabulous slash potential. :D
Legolas/Aragorn FTW! :D

Drone
11-04-08, 21:03
Star Wars

Pipolinne
11-04-08, 21:09
LOTR for me.

All the films were excellent,with no quality differences between them. They always captured the spirit of the book and kept a continuum. We could watch them all and missing it was a trilogy,not one single film.

ECB
11-04-08, 21:19
Harry Potter! Definitely

star-dust
11-04-08, 22:52
Harry Potter.:D

Earthcane
11-04-08, 22:58
Boromir's Death scene wins it for Lord Of The Rings, IMO.

The sheer epitomy of the word Epic! :tmb:

raiderfun
11-04-08, 22:59
Harry Potter ! :tmb:

remote91
11-04-08, 23:07
I said Lord Of The Rings :D

AmericanAssassin
11-04-08, 23:11
I voted for The Lord of the Rings, however, I must be specific. I'm talking about the EXTENDED versions of the films. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! :D

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End comes very close though. The near-end scene in the whirlpool was awesome! :tmb:

Earthcane
11-04-08, 23:41
I voted for The Lord of the Rings, however, I must be specific. I'm talking about the EXTENDED versions of the films. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! :D

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End comes very close though. The near-end scene in the whirlpool was awesome! :tmb:
LOTR EE rock middle Earth into the ground :p

Yeah, some of the scenes that got cut from the Trilogy are truly epic.
The Houses of Healing is pretty cool, where Liv Tyler is singing in te background.

And also the scene where Pippin finds Merry on the Pelennor. Epic stuff.

And yeah, if you eventually choose to marry someone, doing it during the cataclysmic battle on the verge of a giant whirlpool isn't the best of times to do it, Lol!

Nenya awakens
11-04-08, 23:42
Lord of the rings

i'm a huge fan of the books :D

Encore
11-04-08, 23:43
AW MAN why make me chose between Star Wars and LotR?? :(

Earthcane
11-04-08, 23:45
Methinks someone should ressurrect an LOTR thread so we can chat about it more... :whi:

But Star Wars and the Matrix rock equally.

Darth Vader? Agent Smith? Some of the coolest villains in epic cinema history!

(Okay, you can stick Darth Revan in there if you like but he's not strictly canonical :p)

Encore
11-04-08, 23:52
Star Wars is sacred to me :D I really enjoyed the first Matrix but the others disapointed me :(

Chiki Mina
11-04-08, 23:54
Hmm, I'd go with the Harry man (Potter).

Other -

Indiana Jones

Pirates Of The Caribbean

I have tried countless times to watch LOTR. But I fall asleep :o

findme
11-04-08, 23:56
I went with the Matrix, many MANY action films have been inspired by it and the "bullet time" thing is used frequency by many things like video games (i.e. TR Anniversary etc)

Genocide
11-04-08, 23:56
Other-The Terminator series

Lenochka
12-04-08, 00:13
Other/None, Never really got into any of the ones listed.

Legend of Lara
12-04-08, 00:38
Other:
Die Haaaaaaaard!!! :D

Lost_Raider
12-04-08, 01:25
Other-The Terminator series

I was wondering where that is in the poll...

And also where are Indiana Jones' movies? It is my favourite movie series...

Soma Holiday
12-04-08, 01:28
I was gonna say Star Wars, but I dislike the new ones...

so I'm goin with ALIEN!!! :D

Though the whole AVP movies have completely ruined the name of the old ones. i was watching the 3rd film at work yesterday and kids would come in, have a look and say, "oh that's alien versus predator! It's so awesome!"

Bah! Hahaha!

ugh. :(

-DaNnEe..
12-04-08, 01:30
Harry Potter.

Shrantellatessa
12-04-08, 02:16
LOTR, though I also like The Matrix :)

Thorpe
12-04-08, 02:24
No Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, no vote.

kryptonite23
12-04-08, 03:45
The Matrix!! :jmp: :)

trtrailerman
12-04-08, 03:56
yep I have to pick other because of Alien and POTC, those r 2 great epic film series'

aquaflute
12-04-08, 04:07
Star-wars and LOTR are all my favs.

Don't like Harry Potter movies so much since the third one.

Devilian
12-04-08, 07:37
I was gonna say Star Wars, but I dislike the new ones...

so I'm goin with ALIEN!!! :D

Though the whole AVP movies have completely ruined the name of the old ones. i was watching the 3rd film at work yesterday and kids would come in, have a look and say, "oh that's alien versus predator! It's so awesome!"

Bah! Hahaha!

ugh. :(

Ye I agree with you. Old series was perfect. I totallly love 2nd movie.
I have original Alien Quadrilogy too...Wow! :jmp:

MrBear
12-04-08, 08:34
I have tried countless times to watch LOTR. But I fall asleep :o

:eek: Burn the heretic!!

:cln:

In response to Earthcane's post a few pages back: yeah, they did exceptionally well in the last part of Fellowship.. Sean Bean's acting is absolutely fantastic, nearly epic (I'm hesitating to use that word too often :))..

I think I've made up my mind, and I'm gonna have to vote for LotR.. Star Wars is entertaining enough, but for me it just doesn't reach the same level.. And the Harry Potter movies are nowhere as great as the books, so that's out of the question.. Yep, LotR it is..

rowanlim
12-04-08, 09:00
LOTR. They really made my emotions turn :tmb: :hug:

Alex Fly
12-04-08, 09:50
Star Wars, definitely !!! :tmb:

Tomb Raider Master
12-04-08, 10:01
I really can't decide.

Kerrigan
12-04-08, 10:19
Lord of the Rings.I even like the films more than the books.Odd, isn't it? But I think they're just like some good adaptations should be.Trey provided the story what lacked in the books - a more alert pace - which I have to admit I found more enjoyable, although I usually prefer books to films.And the scenery was just amazing, of course.
And I also like POTC.More than LOTR actually.

Cochrane
12-04-08, 10:34
Harry Potter is based on a very cool book franchise, and I don't think the movies really manage to capture what the books are all about. The movies just can't do the books justice.

Lord of the Rings, I don't know, maybe something is wrong with me, but I never could connect with that at all in any form. At least half of it is a story about some guys walking and then fighting and then walking some more, and later it turns out that you can do the same distance very easily as well. I don't like the characters and I think it's partly boring.

Matrix, now that was a really good movie. One really good movie I mean. The rest... not so much.

That leaves me with Star Wars as my favorite. First of all, I'm a science fiction fan, and whatever you say, Star Wars is a science fiction universe. It's got some really great battles, with ships blowing up, instead of just some elephants toppling over. It also features interesting characters, and it has a way of not taking itself too seriously. A space station as large as a moon that blows up entire planets? Sure, why not.

Obscure
12-04-08, 10:53
I watched the first Lord of the Rings but tuned out for number 2 and 3.

Lord of the Rings, I don't know, maybe something is wrong with me, but I never could connect with that at all in any form. At least half of it is a story about some guys walking and then fighting and then walking some more, and later it turns out that you can do the same distance very easily as well. I don't like the characters and I think it's partly boring.

That's exactly how I felt throughout the first film!

Harry Potter is okay but the books are so much better than the films. I've watched the first four Harry Potter films and read six of the books. I didn't want to read the last one as after I read 5 and 6 I was so bored of the same plotline exercised over and over again that I stopped.

I've got all three of the Matrixes but the third one bored me to death and I haven't watched any of them in years.

I've never watched any of the Star Wars and I don't want to because I know I would dislike it because I hate Sci-Fi films. My friend made me watch Star Gate once and I was so lost throughout all of it that I decided Science Fiction films obviously weren't for my taste.

So my vote was Other/None.
And where exactly is The Godfather Trilogy? Voted number one film of all time on IMDB and The Godfather 2 is the third best ;)
But my favourite series isn't The Godfather, I suppose the series I've watched the most times and enjoyed was Kill Bill. Can't wait for part 3 :)

tomblover
12-04-08, 11:01
Out of the primary choices, Star Wars. :)

digitizedboy
12-04-08, 11:03
I'll put my favorites into different genres;

Sci-Fi - Star Wars
Fantasy - Lord of the Rings
Action Adventure - Indiana Jones.

:)

Cochrane
12-04-08, 11:06
Harry Potter is okay but the books are so much better than the films. I've watched the first four Harry Potter films and read six of the books. I didn't want to read the last one as after I read 5 and 6 I was so bored of the same plotline exercised over and over again that I stopped.

Too bad, since the seventh book follows a radically different storyline.

Kerrigan
12-04-08, 11:42

Indeed, but many other people refused to read it for the same reason.I can say I grew up with these books and it would have seemed a bit sad to abandon the last one just because I didn't see them the same way I used to when I was 10.

The films, however, I've given up on them too.After seeing the 4th one, I decided they are just huge disappointments and I couldn't bother to watch the 5th.

Obscure
12-04-08, 13:56

It's just that I got bored of reading the same book over and over again. I'd say Rowling started to lose the plot a bit after Goblet of Fire, but people will disagree. I read five and six only to lose complete and utter interest. I could tell you right now what happens in 1,2,3 and 4 but I'm completely clueless as to what happend in 5 and 6, even though I've read them both.

Cochrane
12-04-08, 14:07
It's just that I got bored of reading the same book over and over again. I'd say Rowling started to lose the plot a bit after Goblet of Fire, but people will disagree. I read five and six only to lose complete and utter interest. I could tell you right now what happens in 1,2,3 and 4 but I'm completely clueless as to what happend in 5 and 6, even though I've read them both.

Yeah, 5 and (to a lesser degree) 6 are comparatively boring. I won't contest that. But Deathly Hallows uses a completely different structure, and has considerably more action. In my opinion, it's the best book of the franchise.

I'm not trying to make you read it. I'm just saying that Deathly Hallows may be more interesting for you than the previous ones.

NightWish
12-04-08, 15:27
I vote non because I dont like them all - I find them kind of geekish :p *dodges a shoe*

Angelus
12-04-08, 15:36
None out of the list that was posted. :) Indiana Jones should have been on the list; if it was I would've voted for that. It's not my favourite film franchise, but it's up there.

Erussack
12-04-08, 15:56
Harry potter was the funniest part for me, lol.....

da tomb raider!
12-04-08, 16:08
The Lords of the Rings, I guess.

Earthcane
12-04-08, 18:28
I agree- the movies have no sense of momentum that the books have.
And parts from the books that should have been in the movies get replaced by high-octane, sfx dragon chases and the like.

I disagree about 5 and 6, they were very memorable for me. Although the Order was way to long, it has its moments, IMO.

Hairhelmet12
12-04-08, 18:41
Star wars!!!!

And DONT forget the triloogy of the dead :ohn:

[George A. Romero]

Night Of the living dead
Dawn of the dead
Day of the dead

THE ORIGINALS!!!

vespertea
12-04-08, 20:28
LAND BEFORE TIME.

..kidding.

DREWY
12-04-08, 22:16
Mutley likes to watch LOtR the best.

attaboy
12-04-08, 22:44
None.
I don't like any of these franchises :mad:

JamesFKirk
13-04-08, 00:25
Two words.
Star. Trek.
:D

kooky
13-04-08, 01:40
Lord of the rings baby!! :yah: :D :jmp:

Mr.Burns
13-04-08, 01:43
Two words.
Star. Trek.
:D

I NEVER would have guessed. Not in a million years. :ton:

cammy.
13-04-08, 13:49
That is disgraceful that the Harry Potter movies are beating Star Wars. I fkn love HP but the movies don't come close to the books and so Star Wars is better by far imo, if you are talking about MOVIES. :mad:

knightgames
13-04-08, 16:51
Mutley likes to watch LOtR the best.

Yeah, but Dick Dastardly likes Star Wars best. Penelope Pitstop likes Potter. (Gawd am I reaching back a looooooooong time.)

Lara Croft!
13-04-08, 20:20
Other. The Godfather Trilogy. :wve:

Other honourable mentions are the Back to the Future Trilogy, the Alien Quadrilogy, the Spaghetti Western Collection, etc.

EDIT: Although I do also really like the four franchises mentioned in the poll. :)

Where the **** is Alien!

Oooops.... I should have included those too... Sorry....

Thanks for voting everyone! I voted for Star Wars, but LOTR is my second religion!

Tear
13-04-08, 20:45
I don't really like any of those movies.

Voni
13-04-08, 20:46
I've never seen The Matrix or Star Wars, couldn't watch LotR without wanting to stab myself in the eyes with something pointy, and Harry Potter can never live up to the books. Back to the Future for the win!

Domino
13-04-08, 21:07
ALIEN, hands down.

domina
14-04-08, 07:52
Star Wars all the way, yo.

knightgames
16-04-08, 06:45
You forgot to add the "Planet of the Apes" franchise. :D If you can get by the cheesy make up by today's standards the first three were pretty good. Heck! The original is a classic.

I believe there were six in the series.

Legend Killer
16-04-08, 10:31
You forgot to add the "Planet of the Apes" franchise. :D If you can get by the cheesy make up by today's standards the first three were pretty good. Heck! The original is a classic.

I believe there were six in the series.

I have that series. :tmb:

Voted Star Wars here. :wve:

RAID
16-04-08, 10:38
None of those.