PDA

View Full Version : High metabolism

findme
11-04-08, 23:52
I have actually been researching how to fight this damn thing for quite a while since I consider myself really skinny and I just don't look good and I just think it's a good thing to try and put on some weight. I've looking around on the net and most of the sites they say eat eat eat and exercise, especially low on carbs and high on protein. But on some other sites they say eat carbs the same amount as the protein. They have mentioned weight gainers aswell from nutritions, are weight gainers good and can they speed up the weight gain process?

I'm just generally really confused on how to start this, I obviously need to stop eating before I goto bed and start eating breakfast. I'm planning to join a gym again this summer so I can get some excercise, but what I'm really confused is the eating part of this, do you any of you have any advice on that?

I don't think I'll need the standard "eat, excercise, and just be yourself" comments, I'm looking for advice here not personal opinions, hope it's understandable to keep these comments out of the way since they don't solve my problem at all.

Thanks guys.

Encore
11-04-08, 23:57
I have the same problem.

For the eating part, my doctor just said eat LOTS of bread, pasta, that kind of stuff (carbohydrates, I think is how you call it in english?), but not too many sweets (although some of them are ok, like ice cream and dark chocolate) and definately no saturated fats. Which confused me at first. :p But I gained a little weight since then..

My problem might be a little diferent though because I also have high cholesterol and I don't know if that's your case. It makes things more complicated because I have to be very strict with the fats.

But anyways she emphasized the carbohydrates, that's what I'd recommend..

Sweets
12-04-08, 00:01
I have the same problem and have been REALLY skinny and underweight my entire life, so I know what your going through trying to gain weight.

One thing that did work for me(although it didn't last) was doing alot of cardio and eating alot of red meat(gross). It helped me gain about five pounds, but then I lost it again once I stopped eating the meat(not a big meat eater). Weight gainers never did a thing for me except make me ill. I have heard that if you stop eating before you go to bed and eat a hearty breakfast with a lot of protein that it can help, but I haven't tried that lol, my eating habits are so backwards.

I've learned to just be happy with myself, but I know that you want to put on some weight which is great. I probably wasn't much help but I do know what you are going through :wve:

MiCkiZ88
12-04-08, 00:01
I have the same problem. I'm very skinny and you can see my bones. Not really pretty, but I've been working on it and I've gained some weight and muscle mass.

Eat regularly. Have a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The main thing is to make sure that you eat regularly, as having varying eating times will screw up your metabolism. Everything will just go through you as your body doesn't get the time to get used to your routines. After that exercise regularly. Few times a week, and work on the muscle mass. Make sure the weights are heavy enough, otherwise you'll just work on your stamina and you'll burn fat.

Can't really offer any other tips, but that way I've been able to gain about 5 more kgs.

myrmaad
12-04-08, 00:03
Good advice from Encore. The fastest way to gain weight is to eat at least a pint of ice cream weekly, along with a sensible 1500 cal a day diet (for a woman), or 2000 cal per day for a man. The additional ice cream is a must. I always laugh when I hear people say they can't put on weight, and think to myself, "eat some ice cream. You'll gain."

Do not figure in the calories from the ice cream in your daily 1500/2000. The ice cream is ADDITIONAL.

Soma Holiday
12-04-08, 00:10
Wow! I always find this so interesting, just because I have a TERRIBLE metabolism which forces me to KILL myself with excercise and diet just to stay in my range of a good-weight, but still not my ideal one.

Seriously! I can barely eat 800 calories a day without excersize and not see weight gain. :( But this forces me to try and stay healthy, so I guess its a saving grace.

But I know it has to suck to be underweight too, and I hope you get your wishes. I'm guessing you want muscle mass more than anything since you are a male. That's tough. I watched my friend try and try to achive that, and he is still incredibly skinny just more defined.

Good Luck!! :)

findme
12-04-08, 00:19
Thanks guys, Encore I'm still a bit confused on the carbs, you said that I should take a lot, but people from this (not sure if it's entirely reliable) http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/training18.html says carbs should be cut down. Should I eat more protein than carbs or should it be balanced? And thanks for the ice cream advice, it sounds promising and at the same time I love ice cream haha.

Encore
12-04-08, 00:30
Thanks guys, Encore I'm still a bit confused on the carbs, you said that I should take a lot, but people from this (not sure if it's entirely reliable) http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/training18.html says carbs should be cut down. Should I eat more protein than carbs or should it be balanced? And thanks for the ice cream advice, it sounds promising and at the same time I love ice cream haha.

hmmm from what I read in a very quick look at that page I didn't see anything about needing to cut down on carbs, at least on the first responses. The first says

Most bodybuilders will tell you "protein, protein, protein. . . " Actually, it takes more energy to burn protein than carbs. You may have a harder time if you increase your protein too much. The basics: eat every 3 hours if possible. Increase your complex carbs. Think of your meals as a 2/3 carb 1/3 protein portion. Eat right before you go to bed. Otherwise, you are starving your body for 7 - 8 hours. Do not skip meals.

Which is basically what my doctor told me as well (I forgot about the 3 hours thing in my first post).

LaraCroft_3183
12-04-08, 00:31
Wow! I always find this so interesting, just because I have a TERRIBLE metabolism which forces me to KILL myself with excercise and diet just to stay in my range of a good-weight, but still not my ideal one.

Seriously! I can barely eat 800 calories a day without exercise and not see weight gain. :( But this forces me to try and stay healthy, so I guess its a saving grace.

But I know it has to suck to be underweight too, and I hope you get your wishes. I'm guessing you want muscle mass more than anything since you are a male. That's tough. I watched my friend try and try to achieve that, and he is still incredibly skinny just more defined.

Good Luck!! :)

I am the same way! If I eat more than 1000 calories a day I start gaining weight! Or if I don't do tons of cardio...I was beginning to think I was the only one out there! I lost about 45lbs a few years ago and that put me into my ideal weight, but the only way I was able to do that was by eating like 500 calories a day and running my behind off! It sucks...and I can't do that again, so I'm a bit over weight now...but I'm not starving...or exhausted...

findme
12-04-08, 00:32
okay thanks.

Is it possible to just follow the eating part of it at the moment since I don't have the time for the gym? Or can weight be gained only when eating and exercising at the same time?

Encore
12-04-08, 00:41
The truth is I think exercise helps a lot.. but aparently it's not a vital part of the equation because I do ZERO (except the normal walks of a busy day) and my doctor said I should, but didn't prescribe it as an obligation of my regime..
I'm so very lazy :o
But as an advice, I'd say it's ok if you can't go to the gym for now, when you have the time then do it.

Soma Holiday
12-04-08, 01:18
I am the same way! If I eat more than 1000 calories a day I start gaining weight! Or if I don't do tons of cardio...I was beginning to think I was the only one out there! I lost about 45lbs a few years ago and that put me into my ideal weight, but the only way I was able to do that was by eating like 500 calories a day and running my behind off! It sucks...and I can't do that again, so I'm a bit over weight now...but I'm not starving...or exhausted...

That's where i am right now! I try to eat like 600 or less and I do like an hour of cardio and an hour of weight training everyday...

then I usually make myself play DDR for like 2 hours. The system works great when i do it! I usually loose about 7 pounds easy, but as the same time I usually get tired of it very quickly and put like 10-15 pounds on in like a month...then i have to kill myself trying to get it off again...it sucks! :(

Posted by findme
Is it possible to just follow the eating part of it at the moment since I don't have the time for the gym? Or can weight be gained only when eating and exercising at the same time?

I seriously doubt you wouldn't see excessive weight gain when not doing the excercise. The whole excercise advice is more for your health, because if you start loading up on pasta and icecream without it, not only will you gain weight but you will start to get unhealthy. The health aspect is the most important, though most people worry simply about the cosmetic side.

If you want muscle mass then you HAVE to excercise and do weight training. If you are just worried about packing on some pounds, the excercise would be a healthy choice, but not a necessary one...though that is very bad advice. :p

Encore
12-04-08, 01:22
because if you start loading up on pasta and icecream without it, not only will you gain weight but you will start to get unhealthy.

not when you're genetically skinny... Believe me, no matter how much pasta I eat, I will NEVER be what you can consider fat. It's amazing how people have a hard time believing this but it's true. I used to eat fast food quite often and I never got more than 47 kg!! The only reason I don't eat such unhealthy food anymore is because of my cholesterol (which is totally unrelated to being fat or not). But pasta and icecream don't increase your cholesterol. Pasta is very healthy ;)

Soma Holiday
12-04-08, 01:33
not when you're genetically skinny... Believe me, no matter how much pasta I eat, I will NEVER be what you can consider fat. It's amazing how people have a hard time believing this but it's true. I used to eat fast food quite often and I never got more than 47 kg!! The only reason I don't eat such unhealthy food anymore is because of my cholesterol (which is totally unrelated to being fat or not). But pasta and icecream don't increase your cholesterol. Pasta is very healthy ;)

Not even a little pudgy? Wow. I guess I shouldn't give advice then cause I'm on opposite ends of the spectrum. :p That's pretty amazing though if your body refuses to gain weight...but not in the good way obviously.

Though I do wanna ask...do you think your metabolism will slow with age? I know most people's do, but if you all have such a heightened one, you may be skinny forever!

Encore
12-04-08, 01:44
Personally I don't know... But it usually does, so who knows. :confused:

But, if I manage to gain just enough to not make me too underweight (meaning: enough to be considered healthy!), I'd be happy; I don't mind being more skinny than normal. I thought about it and it definately has more pros than cons.

cococomics_pres
12-04-08, 02:17
Actually I'm in the same boat here. I'm a little less than normal weight for someone my height/age and it bugs me. But this summer I too am going to try a lot of different diets and start excercising a lot more. Good luck to the OP!

Admles
13-04-08, 02:47
Putting on weight simply comes down to calories in vs calories out. If you are taking in more than you use up, you will gain.

However, what most people consider eating a lot and what is actually eating a lot are two different things.

I've known some high metabolism people in my life, and it took them a lot of food and supplements to gain some serious weight.

You need to eat big, but clean. However, a lot of you, your body will simply remove the excess UNLESS you are giving it stimulus to grow. Hitting the weights and minimising your cardio and getting plenty of rest is the way to achieve some growth.

2000 / 1500 calories?????????????? That is nowhere near enough to put on muscle size; for most atheletes thats not even enough to maintain weight!

Work out how many calories you need in a day to maintain your weight, then try to increase it by about 500 calories or so a day to start with.

Eat regularly - 6-7 smaller meals throughout the day, with veggies at every meal, plenty of lean protein and moderate carbs (except your first meal, it should be higher carbs).

If its hard to eat that many meals a day, consider investing in a good meal-replacement shake.

matrix54
13-04-08, 02:50
yes, it is hard being skinny. I know...

all the food we must consume to appear "normal" and it never works. we have to be really lazy just to gain a good 5 pounds. the most i gain is 2, and that goes fast...:hea:

tombfan91
13-04-08, 02:56
i only wish i had high metabolism. I've been losing weight for 6 months now. if you wanna gain weight fast. eat a meal at dinner for a day or not eat at all although i wouldn't advise it. after you eat something the next day. you'll gain weight back because your metabolism lowers and you gain weight faster. not the best solution, but you can try it. this is something i don't recommend though. actually forget about this lol sorry.

LaraLuvrrr
13-04-08, 04:55
If you wanna increase your weight then increase your overall calorie intake preferable from carbs, protein, and fruits and veggies not saturated fat or processed sugars. And do exercise but focus on strength training. You may increase your metabolism even more from the training but you will gain muscle which will make your frame look less skinny and increase your weight on the scale. But dont over exercise cuz you'll be making a big calorie deficit which isnt what you want. You want to take more in than you expend.

aquaflute
13-04-08, 05:43
To be honest I don't really know but I used to be skinny too. I weigh only about 140 pounds at high school. But then since I came to USA to start college I have gained at least 20 pounds. I have started working out and I changed completely in my diet. However when I switch back to a traditional Chinese diet now I can still keep that weight. So I guess you just need to try something new.

Drone
13-04-08, 09:12
Doesnt matter how much I eat and sleep I'm always skinny

Devilian
13-04-08, 09:25
Yea, I have this problem too. I can eat TONS of sweets, LOTS of fat, and I am still thin. My height is 160cms and my weight is 45kgs.
But I am trying exercise to get some muscles. Maybe it will help.

Draco
13-04-08, 09:52
Sometimes I wish I had a higher metabolism.

Tomb Raider Master
13-04-08, 09:53
It depends on the shape of your body. Are you tall, thin, short, or something else? And how old are you?

Draco
13-04-08, 09:59
It depends on the shape of your body. Are you tall, thin, short, or something else? And how old are you?

Assuming it is me you are talking to, I,m 24 and 5'11".

Seb_01225
13-04-08, 10:14
i used to have an eating disorder (its good i can finally admit it and not just hide it)
i got loads of help with that so i was able to tell people about my problem

i got down to like Nicole riche's size.

but now i'm getting better but i still cant seem to put much weight on

is this to do with my metabolism

findme
13-04-08, 10:32
If you wanna increase your weight then increase your overall calorie intake preferable from carbs, protein, and fruits and veggies not saturated fat or processed sugars. And do exercise but focus on strength training. You may increase your metabolism even more from the training but you will gain muscle which will make your frame look less skinny and increase your weight on the scale. But dont over exercise cuz you'll be making a big calorie deficit which isnt what you want. You want to take more in than you expend.

That's very helpful. Thanks!

RAID
13-04-08, 10:37
Stay away from weight gainers. They made me sick last year, and effected my skin badly. I think the ice cream advise is a good one. I'm gonna give it a try myself, along with daily exercise.

myrmaad
13-04-08, 12:11
Putting on weight simply comes down to calories in vs calories out. If you are taking in more than you use up, you will gain.

However, what most people consider eating a lot and what is actually eating a lot are two different things.

I've known some high metabolism people in my life, and it took them a lot of food and supplements to gain some serious weight.

You need to eat big, but clean. However, a lot of you, your body will simply remove the excess UNLESS you are giving it stimulus to grow. Hitting the weights and minimising your cardio and getting plenty of rest is the way to achieve some growth.

2000 / 1500 calories?????????????? That is nowhere near enough to put on muscle size; for most atheletes thats not even enough to maintain weight!

Work out how many calories you need in a day to maintain your weight, then try to increase it by about 500 calories or so a day to start with.

Eat regularly - 6-7 smaller meals throughout the day, with veggies at every meal, plenty of lean protein and moderate carbs (except your first meal, it should be higher carbs).

If its hard to eat that many meals a day, consider investing in a good meal-replacement shake.

Admles, you're right IF you're talking about someone who's seriously heavyweight training (like this -clicky (http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/history/topic/55349-1.html)). This guy isn't.

He said:
okay thanks.

NightWish
13-04-08, 12:20
hmm yo might be from teh type of epople that can eat anything and look skinny all of the time! i have a gilr in my class like that - every few hours she eats a huge graisy sandwicha nd still looks so skinny! wjile I am teh opposite! i acant alow my self to eat almost nothing! :(

But heres a think about your self confidence - it is said that this type of girls(I presume you are a girl?) just like you make the perfect models.

myrmaad
13-04-08, 12:26
hmm yo might be from teh type of epople that can eat anything and look skinny all of the time! i have a gilr in my class like that - every few hours she eats a huge graisy sandwicha nd still looks so skinny! wjile I am teh opposite! i acant alow my self to eat almost nothing! :(

But heres a think about your self confidence - it is said that this type of girls(I presume you are a girl?) just like you make the perfect models.

Nope; check Findme's profile :wve:

findme
13-04-08, 12:34
Admles, you're right IF you're talking about someone who's seriously heavyweight training (like this -clicky (http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/history/topic/55349-1.html)). This guy isn't.

He said:

Yeap, but I said it's only temporary that I wont be able to hit the gym. I was just wondering if it works a bit without any work out. I'll start properly in the summer to see if it works.

And btw yea lol look under my avatar. But if I (or anyone with a high metabolism) was a girl I don't think I would be complaining about it at all.

myrmaad
13-04-08, 12:44
Do you understand the commitment involved with a serious training program? It's pretty tough to manage school and training. I've tried, and I ended up putting it on the back burner. When my husband and I met he weighed, no kidding, 135 pounds, and he's 5'10!!

It's not equivalent to a healthy exercise program (at least 200 minutes of cardio a week, plus three sessions of weight training) -- That is MINIMUM, and it will not give you a bodybuilder's physique.

Now he's finally put on some weight, he almost breaks 150.

When he had a medical issue several years ago, we supplemented his diet with Ensure (http://ensure.com/products/index.aspx), and he's now 51 years old. (meaning his metabolism has slowed with age)

I'm telling you, barring adding Ensure or something like that, ice cream helps. It also gives some calcium and protein.

findme
13-04-08, 12:51
Do you understand the commitment involved with a serious training program? It's pretty tough to manage school and training. I've tried, and I ended up putting it on the back burner. When my husband and I met he weighed, no kidding, 135 pounds, and he's 5'10!!

That is exactly why I questioned if anything will work without any of that since I do have college at the moment and seriously would have NO time at all for the gym. I doubt I'll see any results at all from the eating side of it but it should get me prepared for it once I start training in the summer.

Death Mask
13-04-08, 19:21
Do you understand the commitment involved with a serious training program? It's pretty tough to manage school and training. I've tried, and I ended up putting it on the back burner. When my husband and I met he weighed, no kidding, 135 pounds, and he's 5'10!! lol That's what I used to weight, well it was 137 lbs to be exact but I'm 6'1, that really sucked but I've managed to beef up considerably, now I look like a regular fit guy.

digitizedboy
13-04-08, 19:47
I used to be really skinny, but during my adventure of trying to gain weight I ate lots of fatty foods like chocolate, and beefburgers. In my teen years anyway, now I regret it because it ended me up with high blood pressure.

I guess the key is to go to the gym, and to eat really good foods full of protein.
Don't drink or smoke either, that loses weight.

All I can say really...

Dark Lugia 2
13-04-08, 19:52
I'm actually trying to gain weight too, the advice I got from my doctor was to eat only 3 meals a day, and make sure theyre realy big ones until i'm full, lots of protein. (like hardboiled eggs for breakfast with toast) =8} And make sure you work out at least a little bit, as many press ups you can do when your going to bed/squats, anything like that until you think you cant do anymore without getting hurt :p It works cause i've like gained 3 pounds, you gotta make sure you stick to it once youve started though or all your efforts will go to waste. :p Oh, and a glass of milk atleast twice a day for calcium :D

daventry
13-04-08, 20:12
This is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_syndrome that is causing me not to grow.

I also have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_%28symptom%29 and i have no problem with eating, i just stay skinny.

But all in all, i am VERY HEALTHY. :D

Everytime i try to exercise, i get cold soars all over my mouth, so i stop exercising.

Indiana Croft
13-04-08, 23:38
I have what i call "miracle metabolism" and no matter what I eat, I don't gain weight. In fact, I usually lose weight. I don't consider it bad, but it's kinda embarrassing still wearing an extra small in adult.

Andariel
13-04-08, 23:44
But if I was a girl I don't think I would be complaining about it at all.
Well I have a high metabolism and because of that I have petite breasts. In the past I was ashamed so us girls can complain. However, now I embrace them. Knowing that an amazing actress like Milla Jovovich has petite breasts makes it not such a bad thing. :)

oocladableeblah
14-04-08, 01:44
I'm enjoying high metabolism while it lasts :D There are weight gaining things called ensure and you drink one after each meal that should help.

Tyrannosaurus
14-04-08, 01:52
Of course I have high metabolism. I'm a dinosaur. The fact that my kingdom interacted with small mammals for 160 million years and succeeded in keeping them small is a powerful argument that we had inner metabolisms that were at least as effective as those of the mammalia. We weren't merely "good" reptiles, you see. Warm-bloodedness played a role. Today's large reptiles can't afford to compete directly with large mammals occupying more dominant roles in the ecosystem. They must either grow large on a remote island (komodo dragon), wait patiently underwater (crocodiles), develop cryptic bodies and habits to go with them (large snakes) or evolve impenetrable armor (tortoises). What method did dinosaurs use? E, none of the above. Why? Because they were innately superior, divine beings that are worthy of worship.

The human who posts for me, though he has inferior mammalian metabolism, nonethelss is efficient. He stands 5'6" and always weighs less than 140 pounds. He doesn't even monitor his eating habits.

findme
14-04-08, 01:53
:vlol: :vlol: ^^^

oocladableeblah
14-04-08, 01:55
Of course I have high metabolism. I'm a dinosaur. The fact that my kingdom interacted with small mammals for 160 million years and succeeded in keeping them small is a powerful argument that we had inner metabolisms that were at least as effective as those of the mammalia. We weren't merely "good" reptiles, you see. Warm-bloodedness played a role. Today's large reptiles can't afford to compete directly with large mammals occupying more dominant roles in the ecosystem. They must either grow large on a remote island (komodo dragon), wait patiently underwater (crocodiles), develop cryptic bodies and habits to go with them (large snakes) or evolve impenetrable armor (tortoises). What method did dinosaurs use? E, none of the above.

The human who posts for me, though he has inferior mammalian metabolism, nonethelss is efficient. He stands 5'6" and always weighs less than 140 pounds. He doesn't even monitor his eating habits.
Really that's fascinating :vlol: