PDA

View Full Version : Gates: Windows 7 may come 'in the next year'

Andariel
12-04-08, 22:33
April 4, 2008 7:50 AM PDT

MIAMI--Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates on Friday indicated that Windows 7, the next major version of Windows, could come within the next year, far ahead of the development schedule previously indicated by the software maker.

In response to a question about Windows Vista, Gates, speaking before the Inter-American Development Bank here, said: "Sometime in the next year or so we will have a new version." Referring to Windows 7, the code name for the next full release of Windows client software, Gates said: "I'm super-enthused about what it will do in lots of ways."

Most of Gates' speech was devoted to topics closer to home for the crowd, such as how Latin America can be more competitive.

http://i26.************/i5swly.jpg

Windows 7 and its intended feature list have been the topic of speculation since Microsoft discussed some details of the new software last summer.

At that time, Microsoft said little except that Windows 7 will ship in consumer and business versions, and in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The company also confirmed that it is considering a subscription model to complement Windows, but did not provide specifics or a time frame.

Less than 24 hours ago, a Microsoft representative told CNET News.com that the company expects to ship the successor to Vista roughly three years from Vista's January 2007 debut.

Unclear is whether Gates was referring to early testing of Windows 7 coming within the year, as opposed to a widespread release or debut. An early test geared toward developers would be conceivable. The company has repeatedly said that it will accelerate the development of new Windows versions, largely as a response to Vista's roughly five year gestation period.

Microsoft on Thursday declined to extend a lifeline for Windows XP, saying that only a limited number of specialized machines will be sold with the operating system after June.

The company said it will continue to allow Windows XP Home edition to be sold for a class of computers it calls "ultra-low-cost PCs."

Vista, the current version of Windows, has sold well, according to Microsoft. But the operating system's debut was marred by repeated delays and shifting feature lists. Last week, Microsoft stepped up efforts to drive adoption of Vista by businesses.

Source: CNET (http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9911470-56.html)

xoger
13-04-08, 07:46
this is ridiculous
wy dont they just giveup, they will never make a version of windows that is close to being as good as ubuntu linux.:ohn:
xp and vista should be enough to keep up microsofts monopoly:smk:

Fish.
13-04-08, 07:55
Honestly, Vista only came out last year, and 6 years after XP. Do we really need another Windows so soon? I mean, Vista hasn't even caught up yet!

KC Mraz
13-04-08, 08:35
News! News! Windows 7 is NOT gonna be released next year (http://gizmodo.com/349673/rumor-smashed-windows-7-not-coming-in-2009) :whi:.

xp and vista should be enough to keep up microsofts monopoly:smk:

Vista is not selling as they expected nor accepted, they cant live just with Vista :pi:.

xoger
13-04-08, 08:47
thats not the point the point is that 90% of people use xp or vista, how can windows 7 increase that

Drone
13-04-08, 08:51
good news. Another reason to skip the vista :D

KC Mraz
13-04-08, 08:53
thats not the point the point is that 90% of people use xp or vista, how can windows 7 increase that

And like 70% of that people have a three-years ago buyed XP so that isn't more money for Microsoft. Not counting the ones that use a pirated Windows :tea:.

St4r
13-04-08, 09:03
this is ridiculous
wy dont they just giveup, they will never make a version of windows that is close to being as good as ubuntu linux.:ohn:

Change it to Kubuntu and I sign it. :D

Cochrane
13-04-08, 09:43
As long as I get it for free (and I do, thanks to a program my university takes part in), I prefer Windows over [K]Ubuntu. I don't like either, but at least there are useful apps for Windows.

Back on topic: Frequent release dates of a little over a year between systems is what Apple is doing, and it hasn't hurt them yet. While I don't think Windows 7 will truly come next year, I can imagine that Microsoft is thinking about making a new version in a rather short timeframe to get those buyers who absolutely refuse Vista.

Drone
13-04-08, 09:47
I can imagine that Microsoft is thinking about making a new version in a rather short timeframe to get those buyers who absolutely refuse Vista.

yup it seems like they want to hide vista behind win 7

daventry
13-04-08, 09:49
I have XP and i love it, now it seems i have to get Vista soon because the Newer Games are mostly gonna work on that Program because of DX10

I also hear Vista is a pile of junk with allot of Blue Screen Errors and allot of Bugs.

Im not touching Vista and i hope this New so called Windows 7 will be way better then Vista and besides the Ugly Program just got released last year and still People hate it.

Desent Bill Gate$ got enough Money already. :confused:

Laurencarter
13-04-08, 09:53
Yes! Now I don't have to buy Vista!

daventry
13-04-08, 09:56
Is it still true WinXP will last for the next 5 Years.

Why was Vista released with Bugs and Errors when they had 6 Years working on the thing and now they make a Windows 7 as an excuse.

xoger
13-04-08, 10:27
you can download dx10 for xp from the alky project

microsoft doesnt get money for os sales, it gets money from companies having to pay microsoft to be able to make programs for windows

The Great Chi
13-04-08, 11:12
I have XP and i love it...I also hear Vista is a pile of junk with allot of Blue Screen Errors and allot of Bugs....Im not touching VistaYou have hit VISTA's problem in a nutshell there.

Many people like myself have found XP as the best version of windows, because it rarely goes wrong compaired to earlier versions, like Me, win98, and win95, where you were pulling your hair out trying to solve software problems.

Also XP has a user friendly history restore, where you can get out of a messy situation, its so easy to use, and all is sorted.

Because of this and the stories I have head about the troublesome VISTA, I have no intensions of buying it.

findme
13-04-08, 11:46
I have XP and i love it, now it seems i have to get Vista soon because the Newer Games are mostly gonna work on that Program because of DX10

I also hear Vista is a pile of junk with allot of Blue Screen Errors and allot of Bugs.

Im not touching Vista and i hope this New so called Windows 7 will be way better then Vista and besides the Ugly Program just got released last year and still People hate it.

Desent Bill Gate$ got enough Money already. :confused:

I so agree.

Isn't a new windows (again¬¬) waaaaaaay too soon?

maximum_123
13-04-08, 11:47
First of all. Ooh, Miami. I didn't hear about that. Hmm...

Anyway, I heard somewhere that they stopped support for Vista but I doubt that's true. Microsoft should really accept the mistake they made. I mean, my mom just got a new computer with vista on, so did my siter, they love it. But I had it and I couldn't do a thing without getting :cen: off. Even the layout annoys me. And, the built in start bar really sucks. But ahh well, I'm getting a MacBook Pro soon to stop with Vista madness. Using XP at the moment.

Wow, that was a really Un-interesting noobish rabble. Cool.

Draco
13-04-08, 11:50
Vista is the new ME, you can bet your ass they want to replace it.

Titanium
13-04-08, 11:53
They better not abandon the customers who have Vista.

Chocolate
13-04-08, 12:02
As much as I think Vista sucks, I am keeping it only because it seems that future games will only be compatible with the latest PC specs. Still, I wish I could switch back to XP...

KC Mraz
13-04-08, 12:03
@All of you people: Microsoft IS NOT abandoning Vista :hea:.

Bill Gates said that but not Microsoft, when Win7 get released Bill will be at home and not working at MS.

BG said 2009 and MS 2010/11 and even 7 is released tomorrow, MS will be still supporting Vista :ohn:

Seb_01225
13-04-08, 12:05
i like having vista.

nothing wrong with mine :) but i will get windows 7 when its released

dream raider
13-04-08, 12:12
good news. Another reason to skip the vista :D

Yes, I'm very happy I hadn't decided to go Vista, too.

raiderfun
13-04-08, 13:19
2009 ? I doubt it, it may be released during 2010.

you can download dx10 for xp from the alky project

microsoft doesnt get money for os sales, it gets money from companies having to pay microsoft to be able to make programs for windows

Yep, but it doesn't work with all games, BTW, it is better not to talk about it since it could be considered as illegal. ;)

I can't wait for WinXP SP3 which is gonna be released this month :jmp:

Cochrane
13-04-08, 13:36
The Alky project is not illegal. It re-implements the DirectX 10 interface, but it does not use any actual DirectX code. Doing that is considered legal.

EscondeR
13-04-08, 15:38
Still, I wish I could switch back to XP...

And you can :) 2 HDDs: 1st Vista bootable, 2nd XP bootable, chosen in BIOS what to boot from - will do the trick. Just remember not to perform any service operations from Vista over XP HDD and vice versa ;)

xoger
13-04-08, 15:43
And you can :) 2 HDDs: 1st Vista bootable, 2nd XP bootable, chosen in BIOS what to boot from - will do the trick. Just remember not to perform any service operations from Vista over XP HDD and vice versa ;)

or you can duel boot off one hard drive
i'm actually looking forward to windows 7, i can just imagine all the windows vs linux articles i can make:jmp:

EscondeR
13-04-08, 15:46
^ Let's make things clear.
You can't have more than one primary partition on one HDD. Therefore you can't boot Vista and XP from one HDD glitchless.

raiderfun
13-04-08, 16:03
Indeed, it is better to keep Vista for DX10 games only, otherwise XP is more than sufficient, has compatibility with almost all softwares and operations are performed flawlessly under it. :)

IMO, I think it is better not to install Vista until 7 is released, surely, Microsoft will make a lot of efforts in order to please their customers, and DX9 games are always being released and are smoother on XP than on Vista, and as Windows 7 will be released, DX10 games will be more and more popular, Vista SP1 has been released previously, unfortunately it didn't bring any extra important update a part a little faster boot which means it is totally useless to install Vista now, keeping XP is the best thing to do and as I said the third big update will be released soon and apparently games and applications will be even better, way to go ! :tmb:

DickDan
13-04-08, 16:12
didn't that rich **** retire?

KC Mraz
13-04-08, 16:16
didn't that rich **** retire?

No, is until June or July.

Grenade
13-04-08, 16:24
I don't really have a problem with Vista. Having a blast with it, but I don't wanna see this new one so soon. Glad the rumour has been smashed.

SamReeves
13-04-08, 16:27
I'll fire up the shredder for Vista!!!! :p

F7-fiAWgYpw

daventry
13-04-08, 16:40
Theres the video ive been looking for, thanks Sam and i agree with him.

digitizedboy
13-04-08, 17:52
I always thought XP was sufficient enough to keep us going. Why bother with new versions? they'll only be prone to viruses and bugs when they are released anyway like vista has.