PDA

View Full Version : Pole Developement

matrix54
14-04-08, 00:26
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7281/49044917ny0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

this is the pole developement thread. I know, why make a thread about poleropes and swing poles? this is why: i want to make a pole rope like the one from TRsearch HQ. but i can't, to make it like the one in the gym, it would requires a lot of work(willing) and I need help!! Like animations and making it spin. anyone wanna help with this project? If not, you'll all just get a boring, stay-in-one-spot-croft-manor-swing-pole.

note: you'll get the pole no matter what.

stranger1992
14-04-08, 01:04
So....you want people to animate swingpole moves copying the ones from trsearchHQ...okay. Couldnt you at least ask Bjorkraider if you could use them or they come out for release?

Perhaps you should plan this before oyu go ahead all guns blazing ;)

laralives
14-04-08, 02:08
So....you want people to animate swingpole moves copying the ones from trsearchHQ...okay. Couldnt you at least ask Bjorkraider if you could use them or they come out for release?

Perhaps you should plan this before oyu go ahead all guns blazing ;)

But I think he made these himself and did not extract them from trsearchHQ...

TRF
14-04-08, 08:43
Wow...

That looks great...
Is there also a chance of making a very good pole swing aswell?????

matrix54
14-04-08, 11:51
it is a swing pole/horizontal pole or do you mean the original pole/verticle pole. when i finish this.

and no i made no anims.

Trey87
14-04-08, 16:32
Oh, it would be great to have working swingpoles just like legend! :jmp:

Titak
14-04-08, 17:37
Borjkraider actually told me how he made those swingpole moves for the TR Search Headqurters levelset. Quite complicated actually but at least Lara always grabs the pole and the correct height. :D

But I'm not going to tell you because I don't know if I'm allowed. He may have decided to share the secret with only a few people. ;)
You better contact Borjkraider yourself to ask if he wants to share the secret with you also.

The pole object you made looks very good! :tmb:

snork
14-04-08, 18:14
They also came at the price that Lara facing walls won't auto-jump up to grab a higher edge / ladder anymore, if I remember the readme correctly. ( you had to jump and grab instead of the just up+action)

It might be worth a second thought to sacrifice this.

ReeceMix
14-04-08, 19:54
But I'm not going to tell you because I don't know if I'm allowed.

I could make lara & the pole swing around like TRL , I just wonder how the pole rope is changed so lara grabs it properly (i remember a previous version you had to run in the centre of the tile to catch it, i was thinking of using TREP to force lara into the mid tile.

anyway I dont like secrets and all secrets I enjoy Ripping!

Bwhahahahaa

matrix54
14-04-08, 20:40
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6274/polezp2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

working on textures, might change meshes to accomite them(they'lt look the game, like making some triangles squares. soooooooo... whatdaya think?

stranger1992
14-04-08, 20:48
They look alright..but you are lazy my friend. its harder to texture triangles but it makes the object much more smoother and you got less chances to bend faces...which is good. Texture it whole though not justhe bottom half
and then show. the mesh should be built with texturing in mind so make iteasy for yourself rather then hard ;):)

ReeceMix
14-04-08, 21:07
They look alright..but you are lazy my friend. its harder to texture triangles but it makes the object much more smoother and you got less chances to bend faces...which is good. Texture it whole though not justhe bottom half
and then show. the mesh should be built with texturing in mind so make iteasy for yourself rather then hard ;):)

I just hope your next level is a flawless masterpiece, because if it isnt , people will no doubt tear it to shreds.. metaphorically

matrix54
14-04-08, 21:47
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2402/polefc8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

here we are, at perfect height, the pole. the column it self is thirteen clicks(about)

and the pole is 9 clicks high. at least that works, like i planned it to!!

ReeceMix
14-04-08, 22:20
I just downloaded TRHQ Emergency, its cute, but the pole-swing animation is really glitchy and she just hangs as the pole rotates, the way lara jumps and learning how to jump forward/higher is a bit strange too, apart of me wants to fix it but the other part is sick of TRL remakes/ideas

In short lara can grab or interact with any push/pull switch or pole and be moved to any other location/grab point.

For example imagine pulls on ..' that pull down rope object'
and something snaps and pulls lara up to a higher location

Or an invisable push switch at the top of a drain pipe and lara grabs hold and slides down it.

The only limitations are how well you can animate and your imagination :)

matrix54
14-04-08, 23:20
so its like this:
grabbibg onto a jump switch, it plays the animation, while triggering a flip effect to move lara to a certain place, and it resets. she is than transported to a swingpole(hence being moved by the flipeffect), she grabs and the animations are usual.

thats a lot, but it works.

maybe the flip effect is like this:

IF_LARA PLAY_ANIM 445(for example)

CALL_ITEM ##(WHITE_LIGHT ITEM)

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2268/65939718kw3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

---OR---

IF_LARA PLAY_ANIM 445

MOVE TO ##### (ABOVE THE POLE TO GRAB IT)

^pretty much the image above,except white_light is the postion of lara.
-------------------------------------------------------

seems simple. all we ( if anyone wants to help ) have to do is animate, figure the anim names and test and do it again if it doesn't work and were golden.

great!!

igor32
14-04-08, 23:24
No.. it isn't based on flipeffects, 'cause you can run the game without the exe ;)

matrix54
14-04-08, 23:30
^but do the poles still work

maybe she jumps to a jump switch and is moved to a different point by wad merger and anims. then the poles work. ??? Titia... can you give us a hint...:D i KNOW you built a level, help us.

ReeceMix
15-04-08, 00:03
your right it is a Jump switch , but its wadmergers command (from that animation) that moves lara to a different direction/area, pretty basic really , people who want to be secretive are ****heads

verticle poles dont work aswell theve been exchanged for horizontal ones and you still have to grab them in the centre, using trep the player can be nudged to the centre midflight

matrix54
15-04-08, 11:37
so grab a jump switch, change the animation
trigger a white light or flippeffect to move lara.

and titia said it was comlicated. It just needs some work. ahh-the pole needs trep anyway(i believe)

ReeceMix
15-04-08, 11:45
so grab a jump switch, change the animation
trigger a white light or flippeffect to move lara.

and titia said it was comlicated. It just needs some work. ahh-the pole needs trep anyway(i believe)

No, you dont need to trigger the white light, you just change laras position/pov with wadmerger only, think of that pole that lara pushes 90degrees, its not as complicated as ppl with secrets would lead u to belive

matrix54
15-04-08, 11:54
so if i rotate her 90 degrees, she'll just turn without any thing needed to help, just automatically!! or is that only 180 degrees?

ReeceMix
15-04-08, 12:22
so if i rotate her 90 degrees, she'll just turn without any thing needed to help, just automatically!! or is that only 180 degrees?

Checkout Laras animation 347 in wadmerger, she pushes that handle around 90* and faces a different direction the anim command says

0 - Set Position to (511,0,797)

This is changing laras direction to front to right ^ >

And then at the end of that animation it directs lara to a still 'mid' animation and then directs lara back to her normal animation.

If you expect to make these kinds of animation work I hope you understand about animation chains and stateID key commands

I think why the TRHQ one looks so buggy is it misses these 'mid' animations and it makes the animation jump.

Once lara has changed direction you then need to forward her animation to a Jumping animation that has a 'Set Grab Point' (this is what makes lara grab a ledge or pole etc) again the TRHQ one is buggy because it flips lara forward based on this grab point , not a moving animation in itself. (also the key comands could have been altered to avoid the bizzare 'learning how to swing thing')

This is why people say its complicated, if we ever get a better animation editor I will do lots of animation tutorials explaining all this, if not I will have to learn 3DsMax ugh

matrix54
15-04-08, 12:33
ill try when i get back from school-its now 8:30am see you all at 4:00pm, convert the time to whee you live.

this is a nice little project, considering it involves a class that i got an A in, geometry. good bye all.

Titak
16-04-08, 17:28
Checkout Laras animation 347 in wadmerger, she pushes that handle around 90* and faces a different direction the anim command says

0 - Set Position to (511,0,797)

This is changing laras direction to front to right ^ >

And then at the end of that animation it directs lara to a still 'mid' animation and then directs lara back to her normal animation.

If you expect to make these kinds of animation work I hope you understand about animation chains and stateID key commands

I think why the TRHQ one looks so buggy is it misses these 'mid' animations and it makes the animation jump.

Once lara has changed direction you then need to forward her animation to a Jumping animation that has a 'Set Grab Point' (this is what makes lara grab a ledge or pole etc) again the TRHQ one is buggy because it flips lara forward based on this grab point , not a moving animation in itself. (also the key comands could have been altered to avoid the bizzare 'learning how to swing thing')

This is why people say its complicated, if we ever get a better animation editor I will do lots of animation tutorials explaining all this, if not I will have to learn 3DsMax ugh
True, but the sad thing is, as far as I understood from Borjkraider, this particular setposition command is hardcoded to that animationslot.
But maybe you can get aorund that with TREP. ;)

... people who want to be secretive are ****heads

...its not as complicated as ppl with secrets would lead u to belive
Who says the creator of the swingpole setup in TRHQ wants to keep it a secret? Have you even asked him if he wants to share it with the rest of us? If not, then don't go around saying things like this. :mad:

I'm just not telling because I don't know for sure if he wants to tell the rest of the world. :)
It's everybody's right to keep things a secret if they want to.

matrix54
16-04-08, 20:36
i'll try it this weekend and see what happens.:)

d|r
27-04-08, 16:03
So any news, matrix54?

matrix54
27-04-08, 16:28
sorry, i had to stop.

really hard for my level of skill. sorry to disapoint. that and i cant find the necasry(??) textures.

sorry to all.:):(

stranger1992
27-04-08, 16:37
Do you want someone to find them you mean?

matrix54
27-04-08, 16:39
the pole is now gone, sorry :(

d|r
27-04-08, 16:41
Completely gone? You deleted it! :( You couldn've just released the object as a static, or an animating object. Well I guess it's too late now.

matrix54
27-04-08, 16:42
i wasn't finished, it was blue, and had "mating"(the texture) on it.

stranger1992
27-04-08, 16:46
what happened to it? Did you computer freeze/explode/die/warp/bounce/flood/virus?

matrix54
27-04-08, 16:50
i guess its something that strpix does. i didn't appy a blue texture(it was white, like untextures) and then i loaded wad merger and then loaded it in stripx agin and the white spaces were blue:confused:

mizuno_suisei
27-04-08, 16:58
Dont be an ass Stranger1992, Justin recently posted a topic instructing us to be friendly. If he says its gone, its gone. Thats a shame Matrix54 because it was a really good looking pole! :tmb:

stranger1992
27-04-08, 17:02
Well thing is, rather then saying "its gone" perhaps it was/is fixable. My objects when they are untextured turn orange. The texture in the WAD is lost if it is not applied to anything.

matrix54
27-04-08, 17:03
thanx. i know it was goming along great, then things got bad. long story short-pole gone. i do miss it, but there are a lot of complications.