PDA

View Full Version : Something weird at my school...

thecentaur
14-04-08, 20:34
Okay, so today, i've been hearing all this weird news that..... hold on, lemme start it out for you.

There was this dance on friday, and it was your typical school dance. Unfortunately, there was something very bad that happened.

There were these 4 kids who brought vodka to the dance. I could not get more details on how they were caught. (I was not one of them)

What more i found out was that the four kids **i think** are going to get suspended. I also heard that they weren't going to graduate. Now i understand that rumors can be fake, but this story is spreading like wildfire. I became skeptical until i saw one of the four kids (she was in my gym class) to go speak to the principal or something like that.

It was finally the end of the day, and i went on the bus as usual. No surprise; my friends were talking about what had happened. I told them that they deserved not being able to graduate and being suspended. We were talking about how it was such a waste to ruin their lives by drinking and then getting caught. So right now, the school is a bit in chaos and abuzz about the situation, and there isn't much word from the teachers (i suppose they don't want to gossip :whi: )

my question for you fine folk, is, did they deserve getting their punished? please discuss, and don't make this a rude thread :wve: :confused:

Voni
14-04-08, 20:38
It seems pretty harsh to me. How old are these kids? About 16, I'm guessing? They deserve to be punished for bringing alcohol onto the premises, but stopping them from graduating is pretty tough on them.

Maybe there's circumstances we aren't aware of. Maybe these four put themselves or others in danger (easily done when you're drunk). It's difficult to comment, really.

thecentaur
14-04-08, 20:40
actually, they're 14, 13 - ish and again, i'm not so sure if they aren't going to graduate...

also, what i heard was that there were two other kids who knew about this and got into a little bit before hand. So all this was premeditated.

da tomb raider!
14-04-08, 20:41
I'd say that they deserved to be punished, but I think that the school was a little too harsh on them.

Chocolate
14-04-08, 20:41
If these kids have done bad things before and have a generally bad reputation, it might be that the teachers decided that enough was enough and decided to suspend them.

But to not graduate? That does seem quite harsh. Have they done bad things before, or is this the first ever time they've actually done such a thing? Yes, underage drinking isn't good and shouldn't be encouraged, but everyone deserves a second chance I guess...

Nitro Typhoon
14-04-08, 20:42
Wow. Most you'd get suspended here is around 1 - 5 days.

But things like this and much worse happen all the time in real life. I mean, there were 13 year olds caught selling drugs at our school (not like the horrible ones, but still dangerous.. can't think of the names of them) and they only got suspended for a week.

thecentaur
14-04-08, 20:43
If these kids have done bad things before and have a generally bad reputation, it might be that the teachers decided that enough was enough and decided to suspend them.

that's the thing; some of those kids were really good

But to not graduate? That does seem quite harsh. Have they done bad things before, or is this the first ever time they've actually done such a thing? Yes, underage drinking isn't good and shouldn't be encouraged, but everyone deserves a second chance I guess...

not entirely sure about the second chance thing; i generally don't spend my time around them, so i can't say

Ilie_Fusarau
14-04-08, 20:43
I don't think they did such a bad thing ,almost everybody does something stupid or new at that age it's a part of growing up and a part of hitting puberty (trying to be cool and stuff ,but as I said not everybody tries to act this way) .

McGloomy
14-04-08, 20:44
Yeah, it's hard to comment on rumours from an American (?) school... :D

On our last day in school things got a little gross. My fellow students were all pretty drunk from the night before and some of them drank beer and smoked in school. Of course our final examinations were already over so the director couldn't do anything to punish us.

Seb_01225
14-04-08, 20:54
i dont see why its such a bad thing?

i bring alcohol to school regularly(because its stressful me and my mates jus get drunk and smoke while we skip lessons)

its fun i'm not immature because unlike alot of roudy teens i drink but dont get roudy

Draco
14-04-08, 22:06
It is generally considered immature to break the rules for the sake of breaking them.

Gabi
14-04-08, 22:12

i bring alcohol to school regularly(because its stressful me and my mates jus get drunk and smoke while we skip lessons)

its fun i'm not immature because unlike alot of roudy teens i drink but dont get roudy
Your whole post proves this statement wrong.

Seb_01225
14-04-08, 22:52
It is generally considered immature to break the rules for the sake of breaking them.

i dont break for the sake of breaking
i do it because I want to and i dont let other people get in my way

whats life good for if you dont have fun? and my way of fun may differ to others but its what i want to do i dont get pressured i am who i am and i do what i wanna do
i dont care what other people think of me i've been through so much crap in my life that i dont give a damn what people think of me or i dont judge people because of what they do

Indiana Croft
14-04-08, 23:43
it's kinda harsh. Not letting them graduate just cause they downed some vodka? Suspended, okay, but basically taking their future away from them is a bit extreme.

Lara's Backpack
15-04-08, 00:00
Okay, so today, i've been hearing all this weird news that..... hold on, lemme start it out for you.

There was this dance on friday, and it was your typical school dance. Unfortunately, there was something very bad that happened.

There were these 4 kids who brought vodka to the dance. I could not get more details on how they were caught. (I was not one of them)

What more i found out was that the four kids **i think** are going to get suspended. I also heard that they weren't going to graduate. Now i understand that rumors can be fake, but this story is spreading like wildfire. I became skeptical until i saw one of the four kids (she was in my gym class) to go speak to the principal or something like that.

It was finally the end of the day, and i went on the bus as usual. No surprise; my friends were talking about what had happened. I told them that they deserved not being able to graduate and being suspended. We were talking about how it was such a waste to ruin their lives by drinking and then getting caught. So right now, the school is a bit in chaos and abuzz about the situation, and there isn't much word from the teachers (i suppose they don't want to gossip :whi: )

my question for you fine folk, is, did they deserve getting their punished? please discuss, and don't make this a rude thread :wve: :confused:

Oh for Christs sake?! What kind of school is this? Thats nothing.... a serious detention and a visit to the head master... but suspension and not being allowed to graduate?...

let me guess - small town? Or heavy christian values? either way... poor kids.

tranniversary119
15-04-08, 00:04
I think if you're stupid enough to bring VODKA to a dance [theres about a 70% chance anybody who did that would get caught] But I do think not graduating is a bit harsh maybe a couple of weeks suspension and possibly community service.

Endow
15-04-08, 01:04
What's so wrong about Vodka? Had I been caught with some of the stuff I did back then I'm sure I wouldn't be able to graduate on your school either.

I mean doesn't graduating mean being able to finish school?

ihatecold17
15-04-08, 02:16
This actually happened at my school. Im not sure how much trouble the kids got in (i think they had to deal with the police) but they were 15-17 at the time. They brought vodka to school in bottles of water and got drunk and ended up in the hospital having to get their stomachs pumped. Now, we arent allowed to have water in school, but some teachers let kids bring them only if they open them in their class.

spikejones
15-04-08, 02:48
hey, thats not all that bad. I got arrested in the middle of class during my Junior year of high school because someone told the school police officer I had a weed pipe in my locker. I actually never smoked any weed out of it, yet. At that point it was just a tobacco pipe that people use to smoke weed out of. But I got charged with possession of drug paraphernalia anyways, spent a night in jail, and got suspended for 6 days. That put me over the limit for absences (which was 8). It looked like I wasn't about to pass that grade, but we were able to work something out where I could take a substance abuse assessment followed by the amount of hours of a substance abuse class that was deemed necessary.

Bottom line is don't do drugs and leave alcohol alone until you are of legal age. If you are one of those people who does do drugs or drinks underage, don't take them to school because there are severe consequences for doing such.

rowanlim
15-04-08, 02:50
IMO alcohol & studies can never be good friends. Alcohol distorts the thinking pattern & we can't afford disorientation while we are studying. I don't have to mention how important education is, right? So I think that the kids were stupid to bring alcohol to the dance (besides aren't they underaged?) & yes, they deserve to be punished severely. Community service, religious studies & suspension are fine...BUT preventing them from studying is a tad too extreme a punishment. They are still young, they should be given a chance to regret & learn from their mistake. Stopping them from graduating is too heavy a punishment for what they did.

spikejones
15-04-08, 03:00
I don't think they would actually be kept from GRADUATING, as in getting a diploma. I don't think thats even within the law to prevent that from happening. Instead, what I gather from this is that they might be held back for that grade, which really isn't that bad as far as education is concerned. It gives them an extra year of education! Expulsion on the other hand would prevent them from enrolling in any school that is within that same district for a period of 365 days. I can only see that happening in events where violence is involved. At least that's the way it is where I'm from.

Soma Holiday
15-04-08, 03:05
I think that's incredibly harsh. High School these days are that way though...my friend brought a razor blade, not a knife, but just a razor blade, and he got expelled from all but one class and couldn't attend any events or clubs...

I think the kids should have been banned from events and suspended for a while, but definately not made unable to graduate.

Tihocan9
15-04-08, 03:09
I think they deserve it, drinking underage is not only illegal but terrible for your body. Follow rules and you dont get in trouble, is that so hard?

Weird things are happening at my school too, someone even tried to poison a teachers water by putting bleach in it :( I dont like him either but I would never kill him.

Draco
15-04-08, 05:38
i dont break for the sake of breaking
i do it because I want to and i dont let other people get in my way

whats life good for if you dont have fun? and my way of fun may differ to others but its what i want to do i dont get pressured i am who i am and i do what i wanna do
i dont care what other people think of me i've been through so much crap in my life that i dont give a damn what people think of me or i dont judge people because of what they do

Sound like a typical rebel to me.

Endow
15-04-08, 06:24
I think they deserve it, drinking underage is not only illegal but terrible for your body. Follow rules and you dont get in trouble, is that so hard?

Well not always, but sometimes you should stop to think "what moral obligation do I have towards the legal system of my country?". Just because people are forced to live in society doesn't mean it's always good.

xoger
15-04-08, 07:06
i dont think one stupid mistake should ruin someones life

Just.tim
15-04-08, 07:33
i dont think they should be punished... they are only going to rebel even more plus they are little kids let them get so smashed they have to get their stomach pumped... teach them a lesson

tomblover
15-04-08, 07:36
i dont care what other people think of me i've been through so much crap in my life that i dont give a damn what people think of me or i dont judge people because of what they do Well, both drinking and smoking is bloody stupid and you know that. Therefore, technically, you're stupid as well because you know the risks. It kills. And also, they're both technically drugs and so, they should be forbidden. Well, since your justifying this with a tragic life, let me say one thing: Only criminals (Who suck.) blame their so-called tragic childhood/life/whatever, for things they've done. You can however take your responsibility and get outta the mess you've created for yourself.

BTW, drinking is fun? Is the hangover fun? If the hangover, which is part of the drinking, isn't fun, then drinking isn't fun. Simple like that.

I basically took Gabi's point and fleshed it out a bit.

And the death sticks (Cigs.) are gonna lead to your premature death. And you smelling bad, and several other turn-off things.

Seb_01225
15-04-08, 10:23
^ just have a cuppa tea and the headaches gone
i know what i do is stupid but because i do somthing stupid that dosent make me and entirely stupid person like your making out

Noodleboy
15-04-08, 10:44
Well, acohol is allowed at our school dances, as long as you don't bring it yourself. Drinking it is no prob. But you have to be 16 years old.

But when you DO bring alcohol, or you drink alcohol before you go to the dance, your parents will be phoned and you will be suspended from the next dance.

So I think the punishments at your school are a bit.. too much.

Inkheart
15-04-08, 11:01
That is really very harsh for what happened. I sometimes wish our school was so harsh on trouble makers. I was assaulted by a couple of students last year - the gits were in school the next day. No punishment whatsoever, even though I reported the incident.

I do think that when people overstep a certain mark at school, though, they should loose their right to education. There are some really evil people in schools. Well, in my experience anyway.

Cochrane
15-04-08, 11:06
Obviously, just from hearsay it's hard to make a definite statement. It all depends on the circumstances: Can't they graduate at all, or are they being held back for a year? Was this the first occasion, or were they known as trouble-makers before that? I guess they were, because the ones who are the most likely to do stuff like that are, on average, not exactly model students anyway. But I don't know that for sure.

So, I say the following: The school has the right to punish students for misbehaving. The extent depends on the circumstances.

Minty Mouth
15-04-08, 11:08

Second Chances? They dont ever matter, people never change...

myrmaad
15-04-08, 11:19
Second Chances? They dont ever matter, people never change...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/icons/voodoo.gif

rickybazire
15-04-08, 11:22
But when you DO bring alcohol, or you drink alcohol before you go to the dance, your parents will be phoned and you will be suspended from the next dance.

That's what going to happen at the Year 11 Leavers' Ball. It's fair enough really, phoning your parents to pick you up because you behaved badly, but you will be taken home, not suspended from the next dance.

Strange this is though...I found some pictures of the last year leavers' ball and most of the chav type people were smoking...in front of the teachers. According to my tutor, they weren't punished.

Which to be honest, is kinda weird. You're not allowed to smoke until you're 18 or 21, can't remember which. But you allowed to drink as a child as long as your parent keeps a limit on how much you can drink. Bit pointless really.

But I have the occasional glass of wine at meals. And that would be how much I would have at the Leavers' Ball. It ain't illegal, just partially irresponsible.

thecentaur
15-04-08, 11:25
update *i think* i've heard a lot of rumors that the person who brought the alcohol is being expelled and/or not being able to graduate. the other 3 i think just have suspension

Capt. Murphy
15-04-08, 12:06
update *i think* i've heard a lot of rumors that the person who brought the alcohol is being expelled and/or not being able to graduate. the other 3 i think just have suspension

Maybe the school administration made a deal with the other kids... Tell 'em who brought the booze and they get to graduate. :mis:

While the other one will probably grow up to be an alcoholic (if they're not already) and have a :cen: up / worthless life. That's usually how it works.:D

Draco
15-04-08, 12:22
That is really very harsh for what happened. I sometimes wish our school was so harsh on trouble makers. I was assaulted by a couple of students last year - the gits were in school the next day. No punishment whatsoever, even though I reported the incident.

I do think that when people overstep a certain mark at school, though, they should loose their right to education. There are some really evil people in schools. Well, in my experience anyway.

It is a proven fact that harsh punishments are better at encouraging people to follow the rules. All being soft does is create apathy.

myrmaad
15-04-08, 12:27
hmph.

The drunkest I've ever been in my entire life was at my tenth grade homecoming dance in 1978. What a hangover. Never had anything like it since. Kids are stupid sometimes.

Not a drunk, not an alcoholic, I do drink maybe one drink a week now. Sorry Captn Murphy and the rest of you, you cannot predict anything because people do change.

Kerrigan
15-04-08, 13:43
It seems extremely harsh to me.I think the school is exaggerating.Bringing vodka at a school dance may not be a wise thing to do, but it surely isn't uncommon.And as long as they didn't get drunk or behave badly I think it's minor, definitely not deserving being expelled.

myrmaad
15-04-08, 13:44
I didn't get suspended for what I did, and I threw up on my friend's shoes! :vlol:

rowanlim
15-04-08, 14:09
Well as I've said before, the school was right to punish. The school was just wrong in the type of punishment.

As a Buddhist, we believe in taking things in moderation. But drinking & smoking in school is way off the scale of indulgence. It's deliberately breaking rules. So if it feels great to break the rules, it just shows that there's not much working in the mind. The rules are there for a reason, we don't want students intoxicated when they should be fresh & alert to learn.

ihatecold17
15-04-08, 14:19
you cannot predict anything because people do change.

Only if theyre willing to. Which they usually arent, but thats beside the point. I also believe that person was quoting a song, even if it reflects his opinion. I dont mean to sound rude or anything because this post comes off that way to me lol.

petujaymz
15-04-08, 14:26
Why do 13/14 year olds wanna get drunk?

Wouldn't have even entered my head when I was that age. No one I grew up with was getting drunk at 13/14 either.

For ****'s sake; teenagers today have got more to keep them occupied and entertained than at any point in the history of the universe!

Again; why do they wanna get drunk? It's plain daft.

:wve:

Lara's home
15-04-08, 14:27
Way too harsh.

Why do adults want to get drunk?

Margot*Croft
15-04-08, 14:29
Gosh! Not being allowed to graduate seems a very severe punishment to me! Your friends obviously did something they should not have done, but the school made a decision that might indeed ruin part of their lives.
Anyway, this is just an opinion, and I don't know the precise circumstances, so I can only have a rough idea of the fact:p

petujaymz
15-04-08, 14:33
Way too harsh.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can't believe that some teenagers see alcohol as an option.

Draco
15-04-08, 16:15
Way too harsh.

Maybe they don't want to get drunk, they just do.

McGloomy
15-04-08, 16:45
Alcohol is something that should be enjoyed. It can make an evening funnier and people just feel more comfortable after a drink. I like to drink a beer or a glass of Jägermeister. Nevertheless I don't see what's so great about vodka. It's one of those things people just drink for the sake of getting drunk, and nobody should need that to be happy.

jamieoliver22
15-04-08, 16:51
I do think the punishment was too far. I think they should have been punished, but not suspended. I would comment that they were only having fun, but being 13-14, its kinda sad.

whats life good for if you dont have fun? and my way of fun may differ to others but its what i want to do i dont get pressured i am who i am and i do what i wanna do i dont care what other people think of me i've been through so much crap in my life that i dont give a damn what people think of me or i dont judge people because of what they do

Seems like the lack of school hasn't helped your English at all... :rolleyes:

rickybazire
15-04-08, 17:17

Maybe they don't want to get drunk, they just do.

In some cases it's just an escape to a new world and escape from reality, because of life problems.

Voni
15-04-08, 18:16

Ouch. Harsh but fair!

viper456
15-04-08, 18:22
pffft its only a bit of vodka. I love how older people pretend they have never done anything wrong. Teachers being some of the biggest hypocrites, my dad being both. (ok so thats generalising but meh.)

But I forget almost everyone on here seems to think alcohol is the liquid of satan.

Kerrigan
15-04-08, 19:06
pffft its only a bit of vodka. I love how older people pretend they have never done anything wrong. Teachers being some of the biggest hypocrites, my dad being both. (ok so thats generalising but meh.)

But I forget almost everyone on here seems to think alcohol is the liquid of satan.
:vlol:Yeah, most teachers are huge hypocrites.My Dad isn't, fortunately.But I don't get why people (generally, not on this forum) make such a big deal out of alcohol either.

Nenya awakens
15-04-08, 19:12
Oh for christ sake, it's only vodka, it's not like they were snorting lines of cocaine and ketamine of their shool books in the cafeteria, or dealing out of the toilets. Give them a break.
They obviously just wanted to have a bit of fun, It's annoying how schools will make an expample of someone over a moderate things, but when something really major happens alot of the time the punishents are less severe.

Guess it's just like life after school

"sigh"

Endow
15-04-08, 19:22
Well, both drinking and smoking is bloody stupid and you know that. Therefore, technically, you're stupid as well because you know the risks. It kills. And also, they're both technically drugs and so, they should be forbidden. Well, since your justifying this with a tragic life, let me say one thing: Only criminals (Who suck.) blame their so-called tragic childhood/life/whatever, for things they've done. You can however take your responsibility and get outta the mess you've created for yourself.

BTW, drinking is fun? Is the hangover fun? If the hangover, which is part of the drinking, isn't fun, then drinking isn't fun. Simple like that.

I basically took Gabi's point and fleshed it out a bit.

And the death sticks (Cigs.) are gonna lead to your premature death. And you smelling bad, and several other turn-off things.

Well then you are stupid every time you do something that isn't good for you in the long run. Some choices however "stupid" they might seem to others are conscious. Some people prefer to live a short life doing what they like to do than doing a long live wishing they could and fighting urges.

To each his own.

thecentaur
15-04-08, 20:24
HUGE UPDATE

okay, today i thought that the school would calm down about the alcohol incident. they did... but something very bad happened (well, in my opinion)

there were these two girls that got in a fight, one who happens to be a close friend, the other who turns out to be a real *****. so the second girl was dating this one guy, but my friend said that their relationship was all rocky because they fought a lot. my friend said that the guy who was with the ***** wanted out of the relationship, even though it was going to be their one year anniversary.

okay... so during lunch, the guy broke up with the ***** and then she physically hurt him, saying that he would never forgive him for breaking up. but the other girl (the one who is my close friend) also had a thing for the same guy. what had happened now was that the ***** found out that my friend had a thing for her ex. so what she did was actually get into a fist fight with her. this fight was totally one sided because my friend had no reason to fight whatsoever. the ***** threw the first punch and then they got into serious trouble with the lunch supervisors. unfortunately, my friend, who was the weaker one in the fight got into some trouble. what i don't understand is that even though the ***** threw the first punch, my friend got into trouble. she only pushed back to defend herself, yet she got into trouble (in school suspension)

before the fight, my friend started crying in math class because she ended up knowing that the ***** was going to kick her butt. me and my other friend tried to comfort her saying to just avoid her and whatnot. and i also said that we were going to be backup just in case.

now im starting to feel really sad because its hard seeing my friend getting hurt. :( the ***** is the type of girl i would want to punch right in the face, even though i don't hit girls.

now, there are a lot of people suspended... and i dread to think what might happen tomorrow

rickybazire
15-04-08, 20:39
HUGE UPDATE

okay, today i thought that the school would calm down about the alcohol incident. they did... but something very bad happened (well, in my opinion)

there were these two girls that got in a fight, one who happens to be a close friend, the other who turns out to be a real *****. so the second girl was dating this one guy, but my friend said that their relationship was all rocky because they fought a lot. my friend said that the guy who was with the ***** wanted out of the relationship, even though it was going to be their one year anniversary.

okay... so during lunch, the guy broke up with the ***** and then she physically hurt him, saying that he would never forgive him for breaking up. but the other girl (the one who is my close friend) also had a thing for the same guy. what had happened now was that the ***** found out that my friend had a thing for her ex. so what she did was actually get into a fist fight with her. this fight was totally one sided because my friend had no reason to fight whatsoever. the ***** threw the first punch and then they got into serious trouble with the lunch supervisors. unfortunately, my friend, who was the weaker one in the fight got into some trouble. what i don't understand is that even though the ***** threw the first punch, my friend got into trouble. she only pushed back to defend herself, yet she got into trouble (in school suspension)

before the fight, my friend started crying in math class because she ended up knowing that the ***** was going to kick her butt. me and my other friend tried to comfort her saying to just avoid her and whatnot. and i also said that we were going to be backup just in case.

now im starting to feel really sad because its hard seeing my friend getting hurt. :( the ***** is the type of girl i would want to punch right in the face, even though i don't hit girls.

now, there are a lot of people suspended... and i dread to think what might happen tomorrow

Oh dear. I'm really sorry to hear that. But you're doing a good thing by staying out of the situation, yet comforting your friend.

Well done for staying out of the situation, and not getting suspended.

touchthesky
15-04-08, 20:46

....I'm sorry but you totally contradict yourself there. You're clearly attempting to look like the cool rebel but then you're saying you're not immature? I don't want to be horrible but you seem to be being a bit silly.

Anyway, the punishment is way harsh. I don't agree with taking alcohol, consuming alcohol at school or even underage drinking but that punishment was too much.

rickybazire
15-04-08, 20:51
Anyway, the punishment is way harsh. I don't agree with taking alcohol, consuming alcohol or even underage drinking but that punishment was too much.

Same here.

Elysia
15-04-08, 21:27
Okay - time for someone in the know to step in, methinks.

NOTE: this applies if the kids are underage, which I am guessing the are.

Children drinking at a school run activity, be it within school hours or not, is something the school have to deal with in the harshest possible sense, because drinking underage is ILLEGAL. Schools have a duty of care to their pupils, and in allowing them to get away with drinking on any level, they are opening themselves up to all manner of legal problems. Schools have a Duty of Care to their pupils with regards to things like this - sorry, but this is the way of the world, and until teenagers realise that, sorry, it's against the law for them to be drinking and that if they are caught, then they have to be dealt with, then that is their problem.

It is not a case of teachers being 'hypocrites' - I am an adult, and therefore it is perfectly legal for me to go and have a drink in my own time; however it is NOT legal for those who are underage - I am aware of the exceptions to the rule, but that does not apply here - it simply isn't worth the headache and possible legal backlash for any school anywhere to let kids get away with drinking.

(That and drunk teenagers are the most irritating species on the planet. Seriously, You do not look cool, nor rebellious. You just screech and annoy those who are legally able to drink. We do not sit there thinking 'oh, wow, what a rebel! How dangerous and cool they look!' - in reality, it's more a case of 'shut the hell up, go away, or I swear to god, I'm going to glass you...')

tr_mitch
15-04-08, 21:32
They did it all wrong.
They should of showed up already drunk.

thecentaur
15-04-08, 21:38
(That and drunk teenagers are the most irritating species on the planet. Seriously, You do not look cool, nor rebellious. You just screech and annoy those who are legally able to drink. We do not sit there thinking 'oh, wow, what a rebel! How dangerous and cool they look!' - in reality, it's more a case of 'shut the hell up, go away, or I swear to god, I'm going to glass you...')

this is how i think of all drunks, not trying to be rude or anything, but drunks should just give up drinking IMHO

viper456
15-04-08, 21:39
Okay - time for someone in the know to step in, methinks.

NOTE: this applies if the kids are underage, which I am guessing the are.

Children drinking at a school run activity, be it within school hours or not, is something the school have to deal with in the harshest possible sense, because drinking underage is ILLEGAL. Schools have a duty of care to their pupils, and in allowing them to get away with drinking on any level, they are opening themselves up to all manner of legal problems. Schools have a Duty of Care to their pupils with regards to things like this - sorry, but this is the way of the world, and until teenagers realise that, sorry, it's against the law for them to be drinking and that if they are caught, then they have to be dealt with, then that is their problem.

It is not a case of teachers being 'hypocrites' - I am an adult, and therefore it is perfectly legal for me to go and have a drink in my own time; however it is NOT legal for those who are underage - I am aware of the exceptions to the rule, but that does not apply here - it simply isn't worth the headache and possible legal backlash for any school anywhere to let kids get away with drinking.

I still stand by it, I know I was generalising, but the vast majority of teachers are hypocrites. I have met very few that aren't. Not saying that you are Elysia of course.

It comes with most job titles that involve enforcing rules, police being the worst of them all. It drives me insane.

Elysia
15-04-08, 21:42
this is how i think of all drunks, not trying to be rude or anything, but drunks should just give up drinking IMHO
Heh, true... but it goes doubly for teens. Sorry, but there is nothing worse - and yes, I did it, too; I got appallingly drunk at 16 and I have no doubt I was awful - I still cringe about it today.

Usually, when adults go out for a drink, they have a couple, have a bit of a laugh (sitting down - no leaping about, being silly), and then go home (well, that's what my friends and I do, anyway). We do not hang around on street corners, hassling passers by, shouting, screeching and generally being a nuisance, which, I am afriad to say, I see a lot of my pupils doing.

I still stand by it, I know I was generalising, but the vast majority of teachers are hypocrites. I have met very few that aren't. Not saying that you are Elysia of course.

It comes with most job titles that involve enforcing rules, police being the worst of them all. It drives me insane.
Well, in that case, we're all hypocrites in our own way. How many of us do things that we know we shouldn't, and often tell those younger than us not to do it? My mum told me not to go out with boys too young, when she was married at 16. I used to have to teach anti-smoking stuff when I was a smoker. My Dad goes mad if my brother goes over the speedlimit, but he tears around everywhere at 80mph himself.

Thing with teachers is they have a job to do - and quite honestly, they aren't prepared to lose their livelihood over a bunch of teenagers wanting to drink. Cynical, but true.

Inkheart
15-04-08, 21:48
Sorry, but there is nothing worse - and yes, I did it, too; I got appallingly drunk at 16 and I have no doubt I was awful - I still cringe about it today.

Something we all experience. I got drunk on my seventeenth, stumbled around the pub and fell out the door, slicing open my chin after colliding with a couple of cars. It's really put me off alcohol. Apparently, I was barred from the pub, but not being able to remember everything and having to trust my friend's memories, I can't confirm this. No, I haven't been back to the pub since out of embarrassment!

Seb_01225
15-04-08, 22:11

excusme i attend school everyday.
rude much

spikejones
15-04-08, 22:34
Why do 13/14 year olds wanna get drunk?

Wouldn't have even entered my head when I was that age. No one I grew up with was getting drunk at 13/14 either.

For ****'s sake; teenagers today have got more to keep them occupied and entertained than at any point in the history of the universe!

Way too harsh.

coming from a recovering alcoholic here (going on three years):

I used to think that the point of drinking was to get drunk, and that everyone did it. WRONG! Normal people do not drink for the purposes of getting drunk, they use it as a social lubricant. Maybe one or two drinks. Very seldom does a normal person get drunk. I can tell you also that letting someone get so drunk they end up sick and/or have to get their stomach pumped is not going to teach them a lesson not to drink. How many people here have gotten sick after their first drinking party, swore to themselves they would never drink again, and within a week or two found themselves drinking again????? That's what I thought.

I can see how people in different countries can say that this was a harsh punishment. Not every country has the same regulations on alcohol, and some places it is even a part of the culture. The US has the age limit of drinking set to 21 because statistically speaking people under that age are not mature enough to drink responsibly. They just want to get ****ed up. And here's another thought for you, something I just learned not to long ago.... the human brain is not finished developing until the age of 25. So anything you do that affects the functioning of your brain before that age can really **** you up more than you wanted to be!

But, what is going to make an alcoholic quit drinking? They have to hit their own personal bottom, admit to themselves they have a problem, seek help, and have an honest desire to quit.

rickybazire
15-04-08, 22:35
I'm with you Elysia when you say all that.

It was underage drinking...therefore illegal...

But I still stand by the fact, that the punishment was too much.

trXD
15-04-08, 22:52
Way too harsh!

i dont see how that works at all:confused:

spikejones
15-04-08, 23:03
I'm with you Elysia when you say all that.

It was underage drinking...therefore illegal...

But I still stand by the fact, that the punishment was too much.

How about a for instance here:
lets say that you live with your family in the United states and you are 16. Your parents let you and your friends have a party, and they are home for it. You and your friends are drunk. for some reason or other (noise violation usually) the police show up at your house, and find that you and your friends are drunk. Your parents get cited for contributing to the delinquency of minors.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The school faces much greater charges than that by not dealing with students who break the law during a school sponsored event. Imagine if someone had spiked the punch bowl with the intentions of getting some girl so drunk that they could rape her without her fighting it. I can smell a lawsuit.

Gabi
15-04-08, 23:12
i dont see how that works at all:confused:

That is quite sad. I will spell it out for you, then:

He does not see why it is a bad thing (bringing vodka into school at the age of 13/14).
He takes alcohol to school regularly and gets drunk and smokes while skipping lessons.
He thinks that it is fun.
Yet he claims that he is not immature (because he does not get rowdy - oh how very mature :rolleyes:)
Therefore the whole post proves the statement, that he is not immature, wrong.
I hope I was able to enlighten you.

myrmaad
15-04-08, 23:36
coming from a recovering alcoholic here (going on three years):

I used to think that the point of drinking was to get drunk, and that everyone did it. WRONG! Normal people do not drink for the purposes of getting drunk, they use it as a social lubricant. Maybe one or two drinks. Very seldom does a normal person get drunk. I can tell you also that letting someone get so drunk they end up sick and/or have to get their stomach pumped is not going to teach them a lesson not to drink. How many people here have gotten sick after their first drinking party, swore to themselves they would never drink again, and within a week or two found themselves drinking again????? That's what I thought.

I can see how people in different countries can say that this was a harsh punishment. Not every country has the same regulations on alcohol, and some places it is even a part of the culture. The US has the age limit of drinking set to 21 because statistically speaking people under that age are not mature enough to drink responsibly. They just want to get ****ed up. And here's another thought for you, something I just learned not to long ago.... the human brain is not finished developing until the age of 25. So anything you do that affects the functioning of your brain before that age can really **** you up more than you wanted to be!

But, what is going to make an alcoholic quit drinking? They have to hit their own personal bottom, admit to themselves they have a problem, seek help, and have an honest desire to quit.

For the record when I was a teenager the legal drinking age was 18. Times have changed a lot and attitudes about drugs and alcohol and even cigarettes have changed with the times, to a much less lenient position then was the case when I was young. I wasn't ever much into drinking. Probably why I was really drunk only once.

While I was in high school a friend of mine drank so much that he got "alcohol on the brain" and died. I'm not condoning drinking, I just believe people are not doomed to repeat their mistakes.

Nenya awakens
16-04-08, 02:31
rude much

But yet you say you skip lessons to drink and smoke...

I did it, i messed up my education completly, i was in line for A's and B's in my GCSE's but in my ast year at school i skipped classes, went to school drunk, stoned, i passed out in the cafeteria because i never ate,
i was suspended twice, AND tried to leave when i turned 16, they wouldnt let me so i walked out and did not go back for a month until i was assigned a social worker.

i messed up and i regret it. I got 4 C's which was good concidering i guess.

but then i was a Manager of a store at 19, for 2 years so i made my success elsewhere

jamieoliver22
16-04-08, 07:11
rude much

But yet you skip most of your lessons? Doesn't that defeat the object much? Just don't come running to us if you end up with a crap mark at the end of it all... :rolleyes:

tomblover
16-04-08, 07:40
^ just have a cuppa tea and the headaches gone
i know what i do is stupid but because i do somthing stupid that dosent make me and entirely stupid person like your making out You're not entirely stupid, but you're being almost entirely stupid by skipping lessons just so you can have a fag (A smoke, sorry if I offend any gay peoples.) and a sip. :wve:

I agree with jamieoliver22 anyway. Don't come and make a thread about your crappy grades later. (I'm not saying you're absolutely gonna get them. It's just that it's a huge chance if you're being as irresponsible as it seems. If you at least do your homework you may get somewhat OK grades though.)

It is, after carrot juice. :yik:

Shark_Blade
16-04-08, 07:50
HUGE UPDATE

now, there are a lot of people suspended... and i dread to think what might happen tomorrowGather as much eye witnesses and convince the headmaster that the ***** started it all. It's the only evidence I could think off at the moment based on your description.

And about the vodka thing, I think it's a little too much for you to talk with the principal about this. How about asking your parent to talk with the headmaster about that unjust corporal punishment? maybe they'll soften the sentence and give them another chance. Worth a try rather than doing nothing right? ;) Good luck.

myrmaad
16-04-08, 08:13
I don't think we should give advice on the love triangle because we're only getting one side of a vague story, again. Could be the friend deserved an ass-whooping.

Shark_Blade
16-04-08, 08:32
I don't think we should give advice on the love triangle because we're only getting one side of a vague story, again.
I agree with you on this myrmaad. We should view things from all angles. The story might be incomplete for all we know.
:)
Could be the friend deserved an ass-whooping.
I disagree with this one. As appealing as it might sound, no matter what the reason, the one who pulled the first punch is still to be blame for starting the fight in my opinion (isn't that always the case?;)).

myrmaad
16-04-08, 08:38
I'll say this, anyone messing with my husband is damn lucky I let the ***** live.

-an innocent flirtation is one thing, actively interfering in my relationship is is unforgivable and has dire consequences for the fool that thinks she can go there.

rickybazire
16-04-08, 09:32
Gather as much eye witnesses and convince the headmaster that the ***** started it all. It's the only evidence I could think off at the moment based on your description.

Yeah, I would do that as well.

myrmaad
16-04-08, 09:53
Why was his friend messing with another girl's boyfriend in the first place. Don't give me that "they were going to break up" crap. People always say that when they interfere in other people's relationships. I think the "friend" is the skank and she probably got what's coming. I'm glad the school is punishing both of them.

The right thing to do is stay out of it until some time has passed to be sure the feelings he had for the other girl are really over.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/icons/DanaHo.png

Elysia
16-04-08, 10:05
Or how about just do the time and let it go?

Kids - newsflash. Teachers do not care about the whole ins and outs of your relationships and why so and so said this and so and so did that... You get caught doing something stupid, no matter what it is (in this case, drinking and fighting), we punish the behaviour, as per the school rules. Everyone is treated the same.

No one is an exception. No one is 'above the rules'. Schools simply don't need the crap that goes with it... did you know, that a lot of local newspapers have channels set up to watch the net, so that if any school is mentioned upon You Tube or the like, they will get a message, telling them of this? (I know this, because it happened to me - luckily, in a positive way - a kiddie put a thing I did for charity upon You Tube, and our local newspaper got hold of it without our knowledge and contacted the school, wanting to do an article on the charity work our school does and how teachers get involved in such things), and so if some idiot decides to brag about things like this online, using the school name, it could get into the press, and the media would have a field day with rubbish like this. This stuff is waaaaaaay beyond 'meanie teachers, not understanding us', you know...

myrmaad
16-04-08, 10:11
Or how about just do the time and let it go?
:tmb:

Kids - newsflash. Teachers do not care about the whole ins and outs of your relationships and why so and so said this and so and so did that... You get caught doing something stupid, no matter what it is (in this case, drinking and fighting), we punish the behaviour, as per the school rules. Everyone is treated the same.

Which is perfect. In my experience, people who get caught up in drama like this always had something to do with creating the drama.

Seb_01225
16-04-08, 10:50
But yet you skip most of your lessons? Doesn't that defeat the object much? Just don't come running to us if you end up with a crap mark at the end of it all... :rolleyes:

who said i skip lessons regularly?
because i certainly don't recall me saying it?

only on occasaions
basically i only drink when i've skipped those lessons i dont exactly get drunk in class.

i bring it in
but don't drink it unless i skip lessons
and anyway i only skip lessons like PE which i dont even take for GCSE its just something the government makes us do. so i don't see why its so bad to be skipping PE i exersize enough so i dont see why i have to spend an hour with some sick bunch of people playing basketball

Elysia
16-04-08, 11:27
Why on earth are you bringing alcohol in to school in the first place?

2 reasons as to why people drink in inappropriate, non social situations:

1) Because they are 'bored', trying to avoid something, think getting drunk is the way to solve this - these people by definition have a problem with alcohol.

2) Because it's seen as a hard or rebellious thing to do.

Which one are you, Seb?

It's not big, it's not clever, it doesn't make you look hard, and if you're doing it because 'school is boring', you seriously need to get some kind of help, because, when the chips are down, this is life. School, college, uni, work... it's all the same - we all have to do things we don't want to do, and if you bring alcohol into those other situations to help you overcome your boredom, you are on a very slippery slope indeed.

People drink to relax, usually in social situations, and they normally have a couple at the most. They do not drink to get them through the day unless they have a problem.

Lara Croft!
16-04-08, 11:35
Of course they should be punished, but not being allowed to graduate is too much! If they are thrown away from school how will they be educated and not end up as vodka drunkards?

trXD
16-04-08, 11:57
That is quite sad. I will spell it out for you, then:

He does not see why it is a bad thing (bringing vodka into school at the age of 13/14).
He takes alcohol to school regularly and gets drunk and smokes while skipping lessons.
He thinks that it is fun.
Yet he claims that he is not immature (because he does not get rowdy - oh how very mature :rolleyes:)
Therefore the whole post proves the statement, that he is not immature, wrong.
I hope I was able to enlighten you.

Doing all those things does not make someone immature! Some people can handle stuff like that and some cant as said in his original post. I think your just going with the stereotype of mature there, which isnt very mature:rolleyes:

Elysia
16-04-08, 12:11
Doing all those things does not make someone immature! Some people can handle stuff like that and some cant as said in his original post. I think your just going with the stereotype of mature there, which isnt very mature:rolleyes:
Sorry, trXD, but do you seriously and honestly think that adults smuggle drink into work and then run off when the boss isn't looking and go and get trashed? People who do this have a special name, you know - they're called alcoholics.

Bringing drink to school is immature - end of.

trXD
16-04-08, 12:17
Sorry, trXD, but do you seriously and honestly think that adults smuggle drink into work and then run off when the boss isn't looking and go and get trashed? People who do this have a special name, you know - they're called alcoholics.

Bringing drink to school is immature - end of.

I can see where your coming from but i dont see anything wrong with drinking if you can handle it. Im not going to drink much when im older though since i dont think i will be able to handle it. I tripped over my dog and into the pond last time when my mum got me drunk, dont worry it was my pond in my garden it wasnt public or anything lol

oh and about the "do you seriously think adults ect" i hate it when people use adults as the example of maturity. As if all adults are mature:rolleyes:

myrmaad
16-04-08, 12:20
Science proves that "maturity" comes with age. Imagine that!
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=adolescent+brain+development&btnG=Google+Search

DREWY
16-04-08, 12:21
The fact that some can't see what's wrong with taking alcohol to school speaks volumes in itself for maturity. It has nothing to do with whether they can handle it and it has nothing to do with if they are noisy when drunk.

Gabi
16-04-08, 12:22
No, it does not make someone immature - it shows that someone is immature.
And age is not coming into it here. If someone did that at age 40 (just an example), I would still call them immature and irresponsible.

myrmaad
16-04-08, 12:23
trXD, if you still have the same opinion when your brain has fully matured and you're an adult, you'll just be wrong. :D

trXD
Science proves that "maturity" comes with age. Imagine that!
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=adolescent+brain+development&btnG=Google+Search

That seems to be the case alot though i think i was just as mature back then as i was before i went through the whole brain development thing:p
No, it does not make someone immature - it shows that someone is immature.
And age is not coming into it here. If someone did that at age 40 (just an example), I would still call them immature and irresponsible.

thats what i meant

Elysia
I can see where your coming from but i dont see anything wrong with drinking if you can handle it. Im not going to drink much when im older though since i dont think i will be able to handle it. I tripped over my dog and into the pond last time when my mum got me drunk, dont worry it was my pond in my garden it wasnt public or anything lol

oh and about the "do you seriously think adults ect" i hate it when people use adults as the example of maturity. As if all adults are mature:rolleyes:
I can handle my drink well enough... but that doesn't mean I take it to work and drink there. I drink at home in the evenings with my husband (usually on a Friday night) and when I go down the pub. That's it.

And as for the 'using adults as an example of maturity' thing - well, yes, there are a few examples of immature adults out there, but I am afraid there are a lot of mature ones, too. How else do you think they country gets run, hmmm? There is a reason why teenagers can't vote and don't hold seats in parliament - and it certainly isn't down to adults being meanies. I know some very mature teenagers - heh, some of them indeed act more mature than some adults I know - but when it comes down to it, for every one I know, I know a good ten that aren't. There is a lot more to maturity than doing things that are perceived as 'adult' in nature - in fact, a lot of the time, you learn that maturity is actually about knowing when to say 'no' to these things...

myrmaad
16-04-08, 12:25
That seems to be the case alot though i think i was just as mature back then as i was before i went through the whole brain development thing:p

My darling Science proves that the adolescent brain does not reach full maturity until after the age 25.

That's what reading the articles linked shows.

People certainly can "act" mature before their brain has matured fully, but that is selling those people short, they will act much more mature when their brains have fully developed and they have reached full maturity.

Those "adults" who act immature, are often the same ones who damaged their developing brains when their brains were still developing.

There are links there that discuss the effect of alcohol abuse on that developing adolescent brain, for example, if you look all the way down through the links.

trXD
16-04-08, 12:30
I can handle my drink well enough... but that doesn't mean I take it to work and drink there. I drink at home in the evenings with my husband (usually on a Friday night) and when I go down the pub. That's it.

And as for the 'using adults as an example of maturity' thing - well, yes, there are a few examples of immature adults out there, but I am afraid there are a lot of mature ones, too. How else do you think they country gets run, hmmm? There is a reason why teenagers can't vote and don't hold seats in parliament - and it certainly isn't down to adults being meanies. I know some very mature teenagers - heh, some of them indeed act more mature than some adults I know - but when it comes down to it, for every one I know, I know a good ten that aren't. There is a lot more to maturity than doing things that are perceived as 'adult' in nature - in fact, a lot of the time, you learn that maturity is actually about knowing when to say 'no' to these things...
Alcohol at school is immature but like i said if they dont harm anyone then i dont see the problem. And i know alot of adults are mature i was just saying that not all of them are.
My darling Science proves that the adolescent brain does not reach full maturity until after the age 25.

That's what reading the articles linked shows.
Does that mean its impossible to be mature at a young age?

Lara's home
16-04-08, 12:34
Yet, I see so many adults acting more immature then us immature kids.

myrmaad
16-04-08, 12:36
Please read my edited post fully.

Elysia
16-04-08, 12:38
Alcohol at school is immature but like i said if they dont harm anyone then i dont see the problem. And i know alot of adults are mature i was just saying that not all of them are.

But I *does* harm someone. It harms the person drinking it, and as an underage child, they are actually, in the eyes of the law, incapable of making that decision, and so saying 'it's their choice' does not wash. It also harms those who have to deal with the person who is drunk. Drink stays in the system for a while, so when they go back to class, they may think they are being fine, when in fact they are being unintentionally disruptive (low level disruption) and therefore ruining other's education. Just by the teacher having to tell them to concentrate and get on with their work is classed as disruption, because it detracts from what should be going on - learning.

No one wins. There simply is no excuse whatsoever for bringing drink into school, and no matter how much one tries to rationalise it, it is a silly, not to mention illegal, thing to do.

Yet, I see so many adults acting more immature then us immature kids.
Oddly enough, I don't...

myrmaad
16-04-08, 12:47
Elysia I had to study adolescent brain development last year in college, because I was pursuing a degree that has a high possibility of being used to teach. I'm just wondering if you had to, of course, maybe not.

Generally to all:
Alcohol is particularly damaging to adolescent brain development. There is more going on in the adolescent brain than at any other time including infancy, outside the womb.

What do you guys think is secreting all those hormones?????

Alcohol over time is also damaging to a fully developed mature brain as well. It basically "pickles" the brain, creating an inability to think clearly, not just while you're drunk but all the time. When a heavy drinker quits drinking, it takes about two years at the least for the brain to heal, and of course some of it is damaged beyond repair.

trXD
16-04-08, 12:52
But I *does* harm someone. It harms the person drinking it, and as an underage child, they are actually, in the eyes of the law, incapable of making that decision, and so saying 'it's their choice' does not wash. It also harms those who have to deal with the person who is drunk. Drink stays in the system for a while, so when they go back to class, they may think they are being fine, when in fact they are being unintentionally disruptive (low level disruption) and therefore ruining other's education. Just by the teacher having to tell them to concentrate and get on with their work is classed as disruption, because it detracts from what should be going on - learning.

No one wins. There simply is no excuse whatsoever for bringing drink into school, and no matter how much one tries to rationalise it, it is a silly, not to mention illegal, thing to do.

Oddly enough, I don't...

Like i said, drinking in school is bad but drinking outside and not harming anyone is ok.
Elysia I had to study adolescent brain development last year in college, because I was pursuing a degree that has a high possibility of being used to teach. I'm just wondering if you had to, of course, maybe not.

Generally to all:
Alcohol is particularly damaging to adolescent brain development. There is more going on in the adolescent brain than at any other time including infancy, outside the womb.

What do you guys think is secreting all those hormones?????

Alcohol over time is also damaging to a fully developed mature brain as well. It basically "pickles" the brain, creating an inability to think clearly, not just while you're drunk but all the time. When a heavy drinker quits drinking, it takes about two years at the least for the brain to heal, and of course some of it is damaged beyond repair.

I didnt say i was ok with over drinking

myrmaad
16-04-08, 12:55
Drinking is harmful to the person drinking, and the person drinking can become a danger to others. The laws are designed to be a protection. The younger the person, and the more alcohol that is consumed, the more the damage.

Gabi
16-04-08, 13:03
Like i said, drinking in school is bad but drinking outside and not harming anyone is ok.

But they are harming someone- themselves!

myrmaad
16-04-08, 13:10
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=797

CRIME AND ADOLESCENT BRAIN DEVELOPMENT

Research shows that the adolescent brain continues to develop up until the age of 25, prompting some legal experts to argue that teens who commit crimes should not be subject to capital punishment.
Researchers from the National Institute of Mental Health tracked the brain development through magnetic resonance imaging of 13 individuals between ages 4 and 21:
During the teen years, the brain's "gray matter" is pruned by about 1 percent per year, being replaced by "white matter," which are neuron projections covered in a protective sheath.
The frontal lobe, which controls impulse behavior, does not fully mature until about 17 years of age.In other words, the frontal lobe takes control over emotional responses -- it keeps an individual from "killing someone" when they are insulted in a social situation.
Moreover, Dr. Abigail Baird of Harvard Medical School notes that teens have difficulty assessing future consequences of their behavior due to their lack of experiences they can mentally process. While adolescents may score well on tests, this can be mistaken for a sign of maturity.
Most scientists are hesitant to translate adolescent brain development research into sweeping punishment standards for teen criminals. However, the Supreme Court will hear a case in October involving a 17-year-old who committed murder. Defense attorneys hope to compare juvenile brain development with mental retardation, thereby exempting him from the death penalty.
Source: Mary Beckman, "Crime, Culpability, and the Adolescent Brain," Science, July 30, 2004; and Jules Asher, "Imaging Study Shows Brain Maturing," National Institute of Mental Health, May 17, 2004.
For Science text (subscription required): http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/305/5684/599
For NIMH study press release: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/press/prbrainmaturing.cfm
For more on Crime:
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_Category=14