PDA

View Full Version : "I am your father"

silver_wolf
15-04-08, 02:50
I wasn't around to be able to see the original Star Wars movies in theaters, but for those of you who did, I'm curious: what was your reaction and the theater's reaction when Vader revealed he was Luke's father?

rowanlim
15-04-08, 02:56
Well I was watching it at home with my family, I was about 9 I guess, so there was huge gasps from me & my baby sisters (one was 7, the other was just 4 haha), we were talking about it for days after :D

digitizedboy
15-04-08, 03:53
I was old enough to remember it in the cinema, but I was still young (6 or something). I guess I didn't really care that much at the time.
When I saw it on VHS again though, I loved that part, it was so dramatic, and unexpected. lol Best movie of the trilogy if you ask me.

Shark_Blade
15-04-08, 04:24
I was very young so I guess my reaction was "So what?"

And whenever I look back at that part on dvd I think it was very corny lol.

knightgames
15-04-08, 06:20
It was quite a shocker. It was probably the one scene in all of the original Star Wars movies that made me want to know what made Darth Vader, Darth Vader.

Until that point most of the movies' attention was paid to Luke and his band of merry men. Darth was just a foil of sorts. (A VERY good character. I mean not to diminish him)

The intimacy of the relationship (father to son) and the polar opposites of the two main characters had me waiting in anticipation for a prequel. Rumurs were even going around back in '79 that Lucas wanted to do a larger series than the original three.

That one scene spawned many comedy sketches and one liners for a decade. I can't think of too many other movie scenes that did that.

Earthcane
15-04-08, 07:29
It was quite a shocker. It was probably the one scene in all of the original Star Wars movies that made me want to know what made Darth Vader, Darth Vader.

Until that point most of the movies' attention was paid to Luke and his band of merry men. Darth was just a foil of sorts. (A VERY good character. I mean not to diminish him)

The intimacy of the relationship (father to son) and the polar opposites of the two main characters had me waiting in anticipation for a prequel. Rumurs were even going around back in '79 that Lucas wanted to do a larger series than the original three.

That one scene spawned many comedy sketches and one liners for a decade. I can't think of too many other movie scenes that did that.
I first watched The Empire Strikes Back when I was 8.

And I wasn't really surprised by this certain shocking revelation.
It was that episode of the Simpsons where Homer comes out of the movie theatre that ruined it for me :p

Some really good points made there, Knightgames.
Totally agree with you- can anyone else name any other franchise where the main villian
turns out to be the father of the hero? No? Didn't think so :p

And it has been parodied so many times for one sole fact- it was totally original, and shocking, for audiences at the time.

When i got around to watching the movie, the epicness of the moment struck me. First Vader slices off his own sons's hand, tells him the truth, and then practically forces Luke to jump down Bespin's reactor shaft? :o

I never mean to boast, and don't in general, but I bet I've watched that seen way more times than all the members of this board put together :p
(Lol, but I am one of the biggest original trilogy fans on this board :ton: )

http://i29.************/20js9ix.jpg

It wasn't really Vader telling Luke the truth that astonished me, but the fact that Ben lied to Luke.
A very powerful moment, where we see cinema st its best.

And the icing on the cake, for me, was Yoda's revelation just as Luke took off from Dagobah in the X-Wing:

"There is another...."

Another very powerful moment in Cinema. People say that Lucas hasn't the balls for the job as director, especially after the abysmal Episodes, but it's the little things like this that make the original trilogy damn-near unforgettable.

:tmb::tmb::tmb:

Angelus
15-04-08, 08:50
I haven't seen the film.

*Shock, horror*

thanatos
15-04-08, 09:04
Wait a minute, you're saying Vadar is Luke's father??!! Well there goes the enjoyment of me renting out THAT film tonight

Earthcane
15-04-08, 12:24
^^ You guys gotta be kidding, right? :ton:

tranniversary119
15-04-08, 12:27
Well I started with the original series and watched the first one which really didn't show to much so I borrowed my cousins original 3 movies and watched them all I knew it was coming and I knew who Darth Sidous was :p

rowanlim
15-04-08, 12:29
I haven't seen the film.

*Shock, horror*

Wait a minute, you're saying Vadar is Luke's father??!! Well there goes the enjoyment of me renting out THAT film tonight

Hahahaha you guys are such a tease...That movie was memorable. Me & my sisters looked at our dad with a suspicious light in our eyes :rolleyes: :p

Angelus
15-04-08, 12:56
Hahahaha you guys are such a tease...That movie was memorable. Me & my sisters looked at our dad with a suspicious light in our eyes :rolleyes: :p

I was being serious... I haven't seen the film.

Margot*Croft
15-04-08, 13:05
My mother had already told me everything before I could watch it myself ...
spoilers are her speciality! :p

Bumio
15-04-08, 13:08
i was little. i didnt care! :p

actually i hated dialog scenes, it annoyed me in some way :rolleyes: i always wanted to see only action and fighting scenes, dialogs seemed to be pointless to me on that time :p

stereopathic
15-04-08, 13:22
i was convinced that vader was lying. as a little kid, he seemed like pure evil to me and it made sense to me that an evil person would lie about something like that.

i was also really disturbed that luke's arm got chopped off. but felt better when he got the mechanical one. :)

rr_carroll
15-04-08, 13:36
...i was also really disturbed that luke's arm got chopped off. but felt better when he got the mechanical one. :)
The 7-year old son of a friend marvelled how Luke got "binonics". The Six-Million Dollar Man was a popular TV show of the time.

Somewhat off-topic, I was sure Obiwan Kenobi would turn out to be a droid. As, O-B-1 Ken O-B. Like Isaac Asimov's R. Daneel Olivaw.

myrmaad
15-04-08, 13:43
I only ever watched the first one.. ho hum so over it.

petujaymz
15-04-08, 14:39
I soooo didn't get Star Wars when I was likkle. XD

Take Jabba The Hutt; I thought he was on the same side as Darth Vader.

Goodies 'n' baddies, ya know. XD

What was with The Emperor? Why wasn't he in the first two? I thought Darth Vader was the boss.

I don't remember being particularly shocked by the I am your father moment. I just didn't get it. XD

How can he be his dad?

:wve:

Soma Holiday
15-04-08, 14:41
I was like 6 when I saw it...so it really wasn't a big deal to me haha. I just assumed he already knew that lolol. :D

Inkheart
15-04-08, 15:05
I saw the classics when they were re-released, so I was quite young. Seven-ish, methinks. Nevertheless, the whole trilogy absolutely stunned me to bits (Return of the Jedi is my favourite, the battles at the end get me every time!).

And yes, the 'I am your father' line shocked me to pieces. Originally, the film was my least-favourite film of all time because, as my mum put it - 'The Baddies win'. But later, of course, I grew to love it almost as much as the other two.

touchthesky
15-04-08, 15:07
I think I might be the only person on this planet who only likes Episode 1. That's all. Dont like the others.

thanatos
15-04-08, 15:12
I think I might be the only person on this planet who only likes Episode 1. That's all. Dont like the others.

WAHHHHHAAAAHHH I seriously cannot comprehend such a thing! New Hope and Empire are the only two which are really great movies, all the others are only really enjoyable because they expand upon the mythology.

silver_wolf
15-04-08, 21:09
Yes. You are. I like the prequals, too, though. They may be kinda bad in some places, but when you compare the originals to them, there's the same amount of corniness and bad acting(Plus in the prequals we get to see bad-ass lightsaber fights). That's one of the things I like about SW. The movies aren't perfect but that somehow makes them that much better. The first SW movie I saw was A New Hope when it was re-released in a theater in my town. I was really confused and got sick when it showed Vader spinning in his ship, but I still liked it. I remember I got one of those old-school plastic lightsabers that was basically a flashlight with a white plastic blade. Anyway, the revelation that Vader was Luke's father didn't shock me because I had already been told.

da tomb raider!
15-04-08, 21:17
I've never watched Star Wars (although I own some of the games). :p

trXD
15-04-08, 21:27
I haven't seen the film.

*Shock, horror*

i havent seen any star wars film or lord of the rings film
*gets hit by a brick*

Drone
15-04-08, 21:59
I had a normal reaction lol. Dunno why but I felt somehow that he is a skywalker's dad

Inkheart
15-04-08, 22:11
i havent seen any star wars film or lord of the rings film
*gets hit by a brick*

*fetches the brick and throws it again!* Spawn of Satan! :p

Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are amazing films. Classic Star Wars only, though, I loathed the prequels. That actor who played Anakin with the name starting with H, but I can't spell it, they should have removed him and simply had a plank of wood play the character. Tonnes more emotion. What fears a lightsaber more than a plank of wood? Seriously - Darth Vader - amazing character wasted on such a terrible actor. I shed tears.

Mister_Creazil
15-04-08, 22:59

If you've seen Episode 3 it already gives this away. LMAO!
I've only seen episodes 1 + 3. I don't like sci-fi that much.

Forwen
16-04-08, 00:42
Vader revealed he was Luke's father

What?! Spoilsport!

PS. SW:KotOR1 has a better plot twist. Shame BioWare didn't manage to release it before '78.

thanatos
16-04-08, 10:28
If you've seen Episode 3 it already gives this away. LMAO!
I've only seen episodes 1 + 3. I don't like sci-fi that much.

So that was Anakin in the darth Vadar suit at the end of Ep. 3, its all so much clearer now!