PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't we publish our works with a watermark?

tampi
16-04-08, 19:38
Last there have been several threads speaking on the author rights and watermarks.
It's a pity that all the amount of photos, drawings and all kind of works that we make doesn't have a reference towards "our" favorite and dear forum.:confused::)
We could publish always our works with a small water mark of the logo of the forum so that any person who saw that drawing or photo later, knew that its origin is this.

What do you think????? :wve:

Sweets
16-04-08, 19:39
What does this have to do with TRU?

tampi
16-04-08, 19:45
Oh, sorry :o:o:o:o:o

This is for General Chat. :(:(:(

:ohn::pi:

Neteru
16-04-08, 19:54
Moving to Gen Chat. ...

ajrich17901
16-04-08, 19:57
I say who care doesnt matter if theres a water mark or not people can still remove it, ive seen it done

SamReeves
16-04-08, 20:14
The best way to prevent theft of images online is to not make the images large. Most of my archived images on my website are 5x7's. A 5x7 isn't too useful for much of anything these days, therefore I doubt image pirates would want to steal it.

tampi
16-04-08, 22:34
Thanks Sam but it's not for copyrights and as ajrich says, that people can remove it. The reason is do Tomb Raider forum and our works more famous and well-known.
I'm talking about put a little water mark in all kind of pictures and drawings.
There are threads like "funny pictures of Lara, Amanda and Kurtis..." that is a good exemple for this.
I'm talking about that all the drawings without any artist interest too, are lost because nobody knows where these drawings come.

It is an attempt to make know our work and ours amused drawings to the people. And that those that they have the possibility of seeing them in the net, accidentally or not, can know that it is this forum, we, who do them. :)

Sir Croft
16-04-08, 22:50
I've seen a video showing Lara renders, using Riv's comparison pics.
I agree, they should put some watermarks, I hate people who steal other's works.

tampi
16-04-08, 22:58
I've seen a video showing Lara renders, using Riv's comparison pics.
I agree, they should put some watermarks, I hate people who steal other's works.

....And do it for a no member forum, isn't it? :whi:

Do you see ?
With a little "reference" people can know that that pictures come from here.
Maybe they delete some of them, but not all the watermarks in all the pictures and drawings :)

Camera Obscura
16-04-08, 23:11
Well the decision of placing watermarks falls onto the hands of the artist. If he or she refuses to place watermarks on their works and it's stolen then its their own fault. I understand that many don't like watermarks because they can sometimes ruin the quality of the picture, so therefore there really is no easy way of sharing your art without considering those who like to steal them and/or pass them off as their own.

Sir Croft
16-04-08, 23:26
....And do it for a no member forum, isn't it? :whi:

Do you see ?
With a little "reference" people can know that that pictures come from here.
Maybe they delete some of them, but not all the watermarks in all the pictures and drawings :)

The video was in the Fan Section of GameTrailers.com, you can also see parte of the TRC.com watermark in the renders, it only shows the "Tomb Raider Underworld" part though.

tampi
16-04-08, 23:30
Well, I don't know it.....
I think that I will preach it with the example from now on.:)

Cochrane
17-04-08, 05:30
My opinion is that others have to take care that they do not infringe my copyright, not the other way round. I give pretty clear instructions that others have to link to my homepage if they use my images, and I think this is enough for most purposes. Most people don't bother to upload stuff to their own webserver, so I can just block web traffic coming "bad sites" and the problem is solved.

The main reason I don't put watermarks on the stuff I make is because I don't like to look at watermarks on other work either.

spikejones
17-04-08, 06:03
the way that I look at it is this:
If it's on the internet, it's gonna get snatched and abused and you have to be prepared for that inevitability. The web is pretty much open source and therefore anyone can take anything that they can see or hear. Whether it be morally or legally wrong, it can and will happen. If there is something that you really don't want to get treated in this fashion, your best odds are to not put it on the web.

Bumio
17-04-08, 08:27
well i usually put watermark on my works, also i put on the internet only small size of the work. but its only when im submitting my it at DA... never thought about doing so here :confused:
but i like ur idea :tmb: people can know where from the work came :)

tampi
17-04-08, 14:30
Thanks Bumio.
that is what I also think :)

I don't afraid about copyright I try to do the forum more well known :)

touchthesky
17-04-08, 14:32
It's a nice idea to put a small artist signature on it I think BUT at the end of the day, if you put something on the internet, you are putting it into other peoples hands.

tampi
17-04-08, 14:35
It's a nice idea to put a small artist signature on it I think BUT at the end of the day, if you put something on the internet, you are putting it into other peoples hands.

I know perfectly but people knew that we, the forum, (not me or you or Bumio ,....) did it:)

touchthesky
17-04-08, 14:36
I see what you mean, well, I guess it would be up to the person who did the work. Some people might think it ruined the image or something? :)

tampi
17-04-08, 14:47
Ok this is an example.

http://i28.************/f225up.jpg

I don't want copyright about that picture . It's for fun!!!
But now in the internet if somebody sees it , he will know that that picture is from here. :)

touchthesky
17-04-08, 14:48
That's pretty..and it would certainly mean the forum got more publicity.

tampi
17-04-08, 14:49
That's pretty..and it would certainly mean the forum got more publicity.

Exactly!!!!!. That is the intention!!! :tmb:

Bumio
17-04-08, 14:49
Ok this is an example.

http://i28.************/f225up.jpg

I don't want copyright about that picture . It's for fun!!!
But now in the internet if somebody sees it , he will know that that picture is from here. :)
oh cool, i like that little watermark :cln:
yeah, i agree with this :D

tampi
17-04-08, 14:57
We can do a watermark comunity for all us :).......well ,....all this if the boss want to do it :whi:

:wve:

rowanlim
17-04-08, 16:06
We can do a watermark comunity for all us :).......well ,....all this if the boss want to do it :whi:

:wve:

Agreed. If the artist is fine with it, we should protect their rights & of course, lead unsuspecting TR art fans here :whi: :D

Earthcane
17-04-08, 17:39
Totally support this, Tampi.

But to be honest, I really don't know anything about removing images to pirate them.

I'd still feel a lot safer if my image had a watermark on it, though :tmb: