PDA

View Full Version : IsisEngine

matrix54
16-04-08, 20:52
^spelled wrong

Frow Wikipedia:

IrisEngine
"A completely new engine and level editor that mimic the Tomb Raider games and will be completely open-source. The IrisEngine will also be cross-platform so it will run on Windows, Linux and Mac."

Is there any truth to this? if so Im happy!!

God Horus
16-04-08, 20:56
Hmmm... interesting!

mattlsu
16-04-08, 21:49
I don't think much of it at this point. Wikipedia is extremely unreliable, and there is always the possibility that some kid who thinks he can program an engine wrote that. There is virtually no information on it, so it's either:

A. Not going public within the next two years, or
B. Never going public.

Don't get too excited about it, if it does come around, it will most likely be a slightly-modified version of NGLE. There's not much to improve on with the current TR4 level editor. Now if this was to be an AOD Engine, that, would really be a treat.

TRF
27-01-09, 19:03
There is an Coder here on the forum, working on that project...
It's the same as TRLE, only with new graphics, animations and TRL, TRA, TRU possibilities... Etleast, he's saying that...

Now i can't find this thread anymore, otherwise i would have placed the link..
But i know he's somewhere around here...

Dustie
27-01-09, 19:25
Yes, and there is also a sourceforge (open source software portal) profile on this project, I believe...

So I think it is quite reliable - not some Wikipedia kid-hack.

TRF
27-01-09, 19:29
I do think it's reliable....
I have spoken to Jeroen (the editor) and he says it's getting along pretty well....

Dustie
27-01-09, 19:42
I would honestly hope they're actually aiming at expanding the engine to be able to achieve graphics compareable to AoD... Becouse in the end, what's the point in just cloning the TR4 engine?

I was thinking somebody should do a TPP game engine that runs off the graphic model of Heavy Metal FAKK2, Darkan and alike - these have very decent environment detail while retaining a full accesibility to every area that you can craft. I think that would be the best direction for an amateur Tomb Raider clone.

sebsmax
27-01-09, 19:44
someone here wanted to do a new engine...

here : http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=125078&highlight=iris+engine

TRF
27-01-09, 19:47
He is... He is trying to make it handle the Legend anniversary Objects, Animations, Lara and Enemies... But it's still grid work though...

He might also work on a more, detailed version (maybe an add-on or already included) for cave details like Anniversary....

If it can handle the details of Underworld, we can only hope and wait...

But what in god name is TPP engine????

EDIT: THANKS sebsmax....
That's the thread i was looking for....

Angelina Jolie
27-01-09, 19:59
He can make it on a grid system, to make the details, he will have to extend the engine features and limits.
Since we can already create beautiful sceneries like TRU with meta. That's not the deal. Now what makes the game look like the actual generation would be adding shadows maps, adding bum maps to everything, also making the entire surface of the scenery light interactive, it would interact to light at a 100%, making shadows to a desired direction. That's it! With that, we can create more than the expected. No need to get rid of the grid system or animations...

We are already able to make ANYTHING WE WANT, ANY BIG, EXTRA HUGHLY FULL SCENERY FULL OF POLYGONS AND HIGH DEFINITION TEXTURES. Easy as talk. Now the problem is that our dear OLD engine crash the game since it cant handle the amount of information... So, no need to create a completely new engine or whatever, just get rid of limits.

For example:
I made CD manor and to make just the main entrance. I had to use 12 little rooms instead of 1 big(SINCE THERE WAS TO MUCH DETAIL PER ROOM). Can you imagine how *** hard was... And for nothing; since at the end, I got it to work, and after play a little, the game crashed, the wad got destroyed and now i will have to start all over, the details of my scenery were too big for the old engine, making it destroy everything. Just getting rid of these limits, we can make whatever we want.

larafan25
28-01-09, 16:43
it'll work good for open world levels;)

Dustie
28-01-09, 16:59
I hope they don't give up, that's all I can say.

For example:
I made CD manor and to make just the main entrance. I had to use 12 little rooms instead of 1 big(SINCE THERE WAS TO MUCH DETAIL PER ROOM). Can you imagine how *** hard was... And for nothing; since at the end, I got it to work, and after play a little, the game crashed, the wad got destroyed and now i will have to start all over, the details of my scenery were too big for the old engine, making it destroy everything. Just getting rid of these limits, we can make whatever we want.
The game crashing couldn't have anything to do with your WAD getting corrupted. The tomb4.exe doesn't even touch the WAD files, it only loads up the compiled tr4. files. Unless there was an error on your hard drive due to the game crash? But a fine HDD doesn't get corrupted just becouse of an old game crashing.

If your WAD got corrupted then it really had to be something else. WADmerger tends to corrupt WADs, for example, if it crashes while moving objects or saving modified WAD over the old one, but even then, that doesn't happen that often.

Yasin
28-01-09, 17:15
Have you people even noticed that this thread is nearly 10 months old ?

And TRF was it really nessecary to bump up a thread from "APRIL 2008" ?

TRF
28-01-09, 17:29
I'm sorry Yasin..
I didn't saw that...

And it was on the first page when i posted it....

Dustie
28-01-09, 17:38
OMG. People can dig up anything these days lol!

Congratulations TRF, such a find ;)

Zebra
28-01-09, 17:42
I would honestly hope they're actually aiming at expanding the engine to be able to achieve graphics compareable to AoD... Becouse in the end, what's the point in just cloning the TR4 engine?

That way we have the sourcecode and can modify the engine in any way we like (If you know how to program, of course :p).

Dustie
28-01-09, 18:30
That way we have the sourcecode and can modify the engine in any way we like (If you know how to program, of course :p).

Exactly ;) And if we don't and they just make a 1:1 clone... Not sure who, if anyone, would pick it up to implement support for detailed graphics or all the other stuff we would want in it :p

larafan25
28-01-09, 18:44
whats the problem with posting on an old thread????thats why they are created is it not;)

Angelina Jolie
28-01-09, 20:07
Hello? Nobody can close this thread, since its an important thread, its a new engine, the owner has not posted for a while cause is working hard. Not because its a "dead zone". So, yes, even after 10 months we can still post here, since that's the time for the owner to give updates, and the last one he did was not 10 months ago... Duh

Zebra
28-01-09, 20:11
Hello? Nobody can close this thread, since its an important thread, its a new engine, the owner has not posted for a while cause is working hard. Not because its a "dead zone". So, yes, even after 10 months we can still post here, since that's the time for the owner to give updates, and the last one he did was not 10 months ago... Duh

Nope. You're wrong. The developer of Isis Engine hasn't posted in this thread at all. He has his own thread. Read the first post of this thread and you'll get it.

larafan25
28-01-09, 22:39
I think angelina jolie thought they were talking about his actualy thread and not this one,although I don't see a reason for this to be closed or not used:)

Yasin
29-01-09, 06:50
1) There is already a IrisEngine thread by Godmodder (builder of the engine), it is recently bumped up again from few pages.

2) And a thread which is being revived by mistake + without anything NEW being added is in my opinion not a reason to bump up.

Well mods decide at the end if they close it or not.

aktrekker
29-01-09, 08:15
The original post was is the Iris Engine for real. The answer has been given. No need to keep posting in this thread. So let's put an end to it.