PDA

View Full Version : global warming

xoger
17-04-08, 19:31
i dont think global warming is being caused by carbon dioxide
i think carbon dioxide can make a difference but its only increased by 0.001% of the earths total air

we have seen no undeniable evidence that carbon dioxide is causing global warming, if this evidence exists wy haven't they shown it

the average temperature started increasing long before the amount of carbon dioxide did.

Lenochka
17-04-08, 19:35
My usual answer to global warming...
iOtm0wQSZwk

Go global warming! xD

KC Mraz
17-04-08, 19:38
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u252/kcmraz/global_warming-_proof.jpg

:D

xoger
17-04-08, 19:41
i didnt start this topic so everyone could make jokes

this is a very important topic

(lol)

Inkheart
17-04-08, 19:45
i didnt start this topic so everyone could make jokes

OK - my humble opinion. It's a tax wheeze! The government have persuaded all the polar bears to start hiding ice to make it look like it's melting. They're also pouring tea into the oceans to heat it up, and bribing scientists to say that global warming's happening so that they can get more money out of us. OK, it's not really my opinion, but it is a genuine theory.

Basically, I think it's really over-exaggerated.

Angelus
17-04-08, 19:46
I think that global warming is a pleb.

See what I did there?

xoger
does anyony have a useful argument

Larapink
I watched a programme quite a while ago about global warming, we shouldn't be using so much resources from the earth.

Nenya awakens
17-04-08, 19:49
Calm down calm down

Theirs different arguments, i dont no enough about it to have a succesfull argument,
i no the ice is melting, i no that polar bears are being made homeless

sounds to me like the world is heating up

"" i feel sorry for the bears "

xoger
finely :yah::yah:

reasorses like coal and oil will be replaced with vegetable oil and fusion power

Angelus
I watched a programme quite a while ago about global warming, we shouldn't be using so much resources from the earth.

Which is why people are cutting down and finding more renewable resources to use. :)

Mr.Burns
17-04-08, 19:50
does anyony have a useful argument

Patience is a virtue. Try displaying some.

Titanium
17-04-08, 20:37
While the earth is warming up, some people still think C02 is a minor contributor, and that the earths natural cycle is causing the major warming.

Also we hear all this about 80m sea-rises. Chances are thats never gonna happen. We will be out of the main polluting energy sources probably within the next 150 years. And although some ice sheets are melting, parts are also thickening up. Also with floods, people now blame climate change for that, yet there have been so many floods like this over the hundreds of years.

We're at the point that, every bit of extreme weather is blamed on climate change. Even if they happened before in the past when there wasnt major C02 rises.

Seb_01225
17-04-08, 20:45
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u252/kcmraz/global_warming-_proof.jpg

:D

hahahhahahahashhahahahahhahahaha!

you jus made my day

rowanlim
17-04-08, 21:08
Global warning is a serious issue. Already there are more natural disasters like floods & droughts happening all over the world. Yet we are still far off from actually stopping or reducing the cause of this. It's not just the release of CO2 gases. Other gases such as hydrogen sulfide, nitrous oxide, etc are harmful to humans & also play a part in global warming.

KC Mraz
17-04-08, 21:18
Global warming is just a big exaggeration.

And the 90% of the people that are "doing something" are hypocrite. Why are they being "eco-friendly" now and no 10 years ago? :rolleyes:.

interstellardave
17-04-08, 21:18
Global Warming and Global Cooling have happened many times to many different degrees throughout history, all without Mans' influence. Yes we are doing things that are obviously not good for the environment and I think we should stop such things ASAP. Still, I have a very strong suspicion that Global Climate changes will continue (in our lifetimes) regardless. It may just be time for a change here on Planet Earth. All the dire predictions I've heard are still not nearly as severe as other episodes in Earth history. We could take a huge hit as a species and even more species may die off but with any kind of long term climate changes renewal will also eventually occur. A warmer climate globally, with decreased Human intervention (or none at all) would probably lead to the return of lush forestation... and an explosion of new species to inherit the Earth.

Well, I've been rambling a bit... but it would be cool to see the Earth a few thousand years from now, wouldn't it?!

Lara's Backpack
17-04-08, 21:55
There needs to be something done soon, thats all I know. You get burned for going outside in Australia, all it takes is half an hour.

I never used to burn - Im 7th generation Australian (pretty tough skin!), now it happens to everybody.

viper456
17-04-08, 21:59
pfft its freezing here, and it snowed recently. That ain't no global warming!

Tihocan9
17-04-08, 22:05
Although I agree we are destroying a lot of our earth by polluting but I am wondering is it possible that the change could be natural, since the earth's climate has change dramatically before we were here to do anything to cause it, such as the Ice Age, could it be possible that we are only a minor part of this? I am not saying this as a fact I am simpling wondering if this could be a reason

Quasimodo
17-04-08, 22:13
As a rule of thumb, when someone tries to convince me with their theories, then tries to sell me something, I get suspicious.

Usually the people who are supporting the global warming theory also try to sell us things like books, DVDs, solar panels, windmills, bio fuel, hybrid cars, 'green' appliances...

SamReeves
17-04-08, 23:34
As a rule of thumb, when someone tries to convince me with their theories, then tries to sell me something, I get suspicious.

Usually the people who are supporting the global warming theory also try to sell us things like books, DVDs, solar panels, windmills, bio fuel, hybrid cars, 'green' appliances...

Exactamundo. And they pass legislation to make it harder for normal businesses to do business. :mad:

cococomics_pres
17-04-08, 23:39
^^right.
I'm not buying global warming as actual fact just yet, but i DO support preserving the environment as much as possible. I don't think that in the fraction of a fraction of a fraction of an eye-blink that mankind has been around POST-industrial-revolution we could have caused such dramatic effects as are sometimes claimed, but we certainly aren't helping anything by polluting.

Tidus
17-04-08, 23:48
^^right.
I'm not buying global warming as actual fact just yet, but i DO support preserving the environment as much as possible. I don't think that in the fraction of a fraction of a fraction of an eye-blink that mankind has been around POST-industrial-revolution we could have caused such dramatic effects as are sometimes claimed, but we certainly aren't helping anything by polluting.

My sentiments exactly. I mean I consider myself an environmentalist, but some parts of Global Warming just don't fit with me. But again it doesnt matter whether it exists or not, we need to preserve our earth as much as possible, it's the only one we have.

Obscure
17-04-08, 23:49
Global warning is a serious issue. Already there are more natural disasters like floods & droughts happening all over the world. Yet we are still far off from actually stopping or reducing the cause of this. It's not just the release of CO2 gases. Other gases such as hydrogen sulfide, nitrous oxide, etc are harmful to humans & also play a part in global warming.

There have always been floods and droughts, even before this Global Warming hype. It's just a media frenzy, an excuse for a front pager when the journalists have nothing better to write about, just like Bird Flu which seems to alert the media with "We're all going to die" to two years of not one article.

Quasimodo
18-04-08, 00:03

Only in the past few decades have scientists been able to accurately measure global temperature fluctuations. Our knowledge of climates in history shows many fluctuations. How can you scientifically prove that human activity has such an impact on global temperatures?

Think about it, everyone - what better way can you sell something to someone than to guilt them into it? No one wants to think they're destroying beautiful rainforests or killing sweet little animals. Here, give some money to such-and-such organization to offset your carbon emissions. Reminds me a bit of when the catholic church used to sell indulgences.

interstellardave
18-04-08, 00:09
Only in the past few decades have scientists been able to accurately measure global temperature fluctuations. Our knowledge of climates in history shows many fluctuations. How can you scientifically prove that human activity has such an impact on global temperatures?

Think about it, everyone - what better way can you sell something to someone than to guilt them into it? No one wants to think they're destroying beautiful rainforests or killing sweet little animals. Here, give some money to such-and-such organization to offset your carbon emissions. Reminds me a bit of when the catholic church used to sell indulgences.

I agree that some of our more subtle influences can be questionable in the extent of their effects, however, destruction of rainforests (and the subsequent killing of little animals) IS being actively done day after day. And that is highly short-sighted on our part as a species.

Quasimodo
18-04-08, 00:11
I agree that some of our more subtle influences can be questionable in the extent of their effects, however, destruction of rainforests (and the subsequent killing of little animals) IS being actively done day after day. And that is highly short-sighted on our part as a species.

True. Logging and clearing rain forests to raise cattle a the most direct causes of rainforest depletion - it'd make more sense to help those people find different ways to support themselves instead of worrying about how many carbon emissions our stoves gives off.

Encore
18-04-08, 00:44
Let's take a musical break and check this out

HC6zEi3e6iE

:ton:

xoger
18-04-08, 06:37
the earth is definitely heating up

the correlation between temperature and sunspot activity is stronger than, temperature to carbon dioxide

after my research is complete, i will post graphs supporting this

domina
18-04-08, 06:47
I think it's way over-hyped. The earth does have climate shifts and will continue to do so with or without our influence. Sure, we're doing some bad things to the environment, and in the instance of cars and fuels, we will be forced to find an alternative means of energy, but that's just because it's a limited resource; it's got nothing to do with how it impacts the environment. I think we're giving the human race way too much credit here. ;)

Drone
18-04-08, 06:58
earth's temperature always changing. No matter is it global warming or global freezing. And no scientist ever can't be sure is it because of human activity or not. I ain't gonna listen to their crap. Today they blame the CO2 tomorrow they blame industry the day after tomorrow they will blame .. I don't know maybe Tarzan

EscondeR
18-04-08, 07:13
Xoger, check your PM inbox

Punaxe
18-04-08, 07:57
Well as many has said it's indeed true that Earth has its natural temperature shifts, but according to the diagram below we are certainly having a (rather significant) impact on it.

http://files.noctifer.net/greenhouse.jpg

It indicates that actually, if there had been no (damaging) human activity, it would be a lot colder now. It suggests that our influence is already very much present, in the sense that we are keeping the temperature level while it shouldn't be. It foresees that once the natural state returns after a period of relatively high temperatures, the global temperature will drop dramatically.

(Adapted from Ruddiman, Scientific American, 2002.)

Just throwing that in.

Leaving besides us whether or not global warming is really an effect of our energy consumption and pollution, it is evident that our energy consumption and pollution have an effect on nature and it is a bad one. One can be free to think global warming is a hype around it, but the actual problem is very real and should not be ignored.

Drone
18-04-08, 08:05
Leaving besides us whether or not global warming is really an effect of our energy consumption and pollution, it is evident that our energy consumption and pollution have an effect on nature and it is a bad one. One can be free to think global warming is a hype around it, but the actual problem is very real and should not be ignored.

Concur rather than being hyped people need to reduce their appetites and find an alternate (hydroenergetics is a good example). Oil need to be left behind, it's xxist century now

kryptonite23
18-04-08, 09:32
Global warming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming)

Now...I am experiencing the effect of Global Warming,it's getting hotter now than last year's summer :(. I don't like hot weather :p

:wve:

MrBear
18-04-08, 09:41
I think it's a shame that scientists can't just stick their heads together, look at the data, and make some sort of clear, unanimous statement about the exact impact we have on Nature.. I very much dislike all the bickering and the academic environment with its competitiveness and nit-picking and making a name for yourself... (I'm sort of part of the academic world, but that just makes me dislike it even more)

Okay, that's all the negativity I'm gonna express.. On the plus side, there are many interesting posts here!

OK - my humble opinion. It's a tax wheeze! The government have persuaded all the polar bears to start hiding ice to make it look like it's melting.

Hey, don't gimme that look.. I get good money and as a bonus I prefer my gin on the rocks!

interstellardave
18-04-08, 10:46
I'd just like to point out that glaciation--if that were the next "natural" cycle absent human activity--wouldn't benefit us as a species any more than global warming. Nor would it be good for many other species. So, either way it's bad news for some... and good news for others. There are always winners, as well as losers, you have to remember that...

matrix54
18-04-08, 11:29
i blame the government. just pic one!!:tea:

JamesTRaider
18-04-08, 14:43
One of the biggest scams of all time. There is a bright side to this scam, the people who believe the scam won't be driving fast cars anytime soon so that means more fast cars for me. :tea: The darker side of it is those hybrids are rolling toxic waste dumps. They switched one poison for another, only the acid in those batteries is ten times worse than any engine emission. The scam was also about money people like Gore had money invested in companies like toyota and honda plus the "environment helping" companies that make those prius batteries and so on. Why go to siminars when you can with a little help from democrats scam millions of people into buying something. Politicians only talk about climate change enough to get people to vote for them. Hey thats the quota of bull****, talk about a whole bunch of stuff and throw in climate change for good measure.

JamesTRaider
18-04-08, 14:45
Well as many has said it's indeed true that Earth has its natural temperature shifts, but according to the diagram below we are certainly having a (rather significant) impact on it.

http://files.noctifer.net/greenhouse.jpg

It indicates that actually, if there had been no (damaging) human activity, it would be a lot colder now. It suggests that our influence is already very much present, in the sense that we are keeping the temperature level while it shouldn't be. It foresees that once the natural state returns after a period of relatively high temperatures, the global temperature will drop dramatically.

(Adapted from Ruddiman, Scientific American, 2002.)

Just throwing that in.

I love fake graphs they are so entertaining. :cen:

DA MAIN MAN
18-04-08, 15:07
We are never told how much is caused by nature ie the sun, volcanic activity, etc. We're constantly being bombarded with "humans are 120% to blame" and nothing else.

Yes the worlds temp has always fluctuated.

Natural causes include a warming of the ocean water near the Pacific equator.

Volcanic eruptions that spread sulfur aerosols (tiny particles about the size of a micron or less) into the stratosphere, which reflect some of the sunlight back to space, cooling the surface. Can last for a couple of years.

(Not warming here, but shows how nature can play its part when it comes to temperature)

total solar irradiance also has a significant effect. Explains the mini Iceage between 1300 to 1800 where almost all the worlds glaciers advanced. In which previously there was a period of warm weather, 900 to 1300. Its a sun cycle.

Also, models are used which are too trusted in my opinion. They are estimated guesses at best but are spewed out as rock hard and idisputable fact by governments, environmental agencies, etc.

Yes we are harming the earth with deforestation, pollution, etc, but a lot of this global warming has been overhyped too much! There needs to be more research done and I'm sick of the doomsayers having too much of a say.:mad::mad:

xoger
18-04-08, 15:19
I love fake graphs they are so entertaining. :cen:

well put, this graph is completely different to any I've ever seen

Drone
18-04-08, 15:23
neither of real or fake graphs wont describe the real picture anyway

JamesTRaider
18-04-08, 15:26
well put, this graph is completely different to any I've ever seen

I don't pay attention to "global warming" graphs as far as I'm concerned those graphs are just another way to lie to people. It's a scam, the weather proves it by being cold alot enough said. It was cold last week too, it's cool at night and sometimes we get cold days still so where is this apocalyptic warming? Doesn't Exist, next. :mad:

SamReeves
18-04-08, 16:21
One of the biggest scams of all time. There is a bright side to this scam, the people who believe the scam won't be driving fast cars anytime soon so that means more fast cars for me. :tea: The darker side of it is those hybrids are rolling toxic waste dumps. They switched one poison for another, only the acid in those batteries is ten times worse than any engine emission. The scam was also about money people like Gore had money invested in companies like toyota and honda plus the "environment helping" companies that make those prius batteries and so on. Why go to siminars when you can with a little help from democrats scam millions of people into buying something. Politicians only talk about climate change enough to get people to vote for them. Hey thats the quota of bull****, talk about a whole bunch of stuff and throw in climate change for good measure.

Danged right. What do you do with those hybrid batteries after they are exhuasted? It creates another enviromental problem. It's better to stick with a normal internal-combustion engine, and give the auto makers the time to perfect their emissions systems. Jumping on the hybrid bandwagon does nothing to "save the world." ;)

da tomb raider!
18-04-08, 16:33
The way I see it, it really doesn't matter if global warming is happening or not, because nobody's really going to do anything about it anyway. I've yet to meet someone who lives in the woods and hunts for his own food to prevent global warming.

interstellardave
18-04-08, 17:09
Danged right. What do you do with those hybrid batteries after they are exhuasted? It creates another enviromental problem. It's better to stick with a normal internal-combustion engine, and give the auto makers the time to perfect their emissions systems. Jumping on the hybrid bandwagon does nothing to "save the world." ;)

I read something in Discover magazine just yesterday about vehicle emissions. The article stated that, although everyone focuses on the SUV's being driven by so many in the US, the real problem is in many Asian countries where small vehicles (like those 3 wheeled ones) and motorcycles are so prevelant--and they use 2 stroke engines, which are ridiculously worse for the air than 4 stroke engines that are most prevalant in the West.

I found a link to an interesting article about this:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1247506

JamesTRaider
19-04-08, 20:41
Global warming isn't happening, in fact on ABC last night they had a 20/20 episode with John Stossel on myths lie and whatever. I think they said Gore's movie used footage from The Day After Tomorrow to get it's point across. Specifically the melting glacier stuff I couldn't hear the tv but they were comparing the two pieces of footage and they were the exact same thing. it's sad pathetic and all of the above to know that it took this long for the general public to come out of their coma and realize that global warming is a load of crap and has been all along. I've seen some older movies in the past few months that are at least 10 years old and those talk about global warming in a limited fashion. I see what hollywood did, they snuck in global warming bull**** in then later opened the proverbial floodgates of global warming talk in new movies. That's how they work though, they sneak something in then later figure everyone is so brainwashed from being flooded with messages drummed into their heads that they can go ahead and open the floodgates the rest of the way and the public would not even notice. It's all a big conspiracy to control people, toobad it's worked for the most part. Drum it into peoples' heads, eventually it will sink in and those brainwashed will believe anything they are told. I love how the news tries to control people's thougts and opinions, yesterday they reported China is now the world's biggest polluter, in reality Southeast Asia has always been the biggest polluter . Why not blame the US anyway right, the world blames us for everything else why not call us the biggest polluter for kicks.

JamesTRaider
19-04-08, 20:45

It's usually the old run down pieces of crap that have the worst exhaust.

thiagosmr
19-04-08, 21:02
Has anyone here saw the Inconvenient True by Al Gore? If not... you really should! Global warming is serious! Im from Brazil and here we dont have snow. And sure is a lot more warm than usual the last few years! Just becouse some country has snow does not mean its not warming more than usual. You should really consider the warnings.. not for you, but for your children!

cococomics_pres
19-04-08, 21:47
Actually I've heard that the people presented in Gore's movie represent a rather small portion of the meteorological community. Also I am no meteorologist, but I would think that
A) A few years is not a long enough span to accurately judge any natural or manmade environmental processes. and
B) The earth most likely has natural processes of fluxuating temperature.

TR 4 LIFE
20-04-08, 01:10
global warming is pretty serious.......we have to take care of this planet for us AND the new generation!! :yik:

JamesTRaider
20-04-08, 03:25
Has anyone here saw the Inconvenient True by Al Gore? If not... you really should! Global warming is serious! Im from Brazil and here we dont have snow. And sure is a lot more warm than usual the last few years! Just becouse some country has snow does not mean its not warming more than usual. You should really consider the warnings.. not for you, but for your children!

You don't have snow because Brazil is near the Equator. HAHAHAHAHA get a clue please. Did this person just say Brazil doesn't have snow? OMFG brazil never has snow.

Draco
20-04-08, 03:32
Global Warming is a fad.

tranniversary119
20-04-08, 03:39
Honestly, I don't care..No not because I don't care about our planet Just because I think the government are behind it all WEATHER CONTROL PEOPLE! :p

Drone
20-04-08, 09:44
global warming is pretty serious.......we have to take care of this planet for us AND the new generation!! :yik:

yes but I bet everyone uses a car with the fire engine

JamesTRaider
21-04-08, 00:50
Global Warming is a fad.

Pretty much and its a conspiracy that's a fact too. Not a mythical conspiracy like some past events.

USP
21-04-08, 00:51
Even the IPCC admits that the earth has been cooling since 1998.