PDA

View Full Version : A weird Script Problem!

Seth94
18-04-08, 15:27
Hi everyone,
When I changed the name of one of my levels and added the load screen and key names, etc, after adding this to the English script, I pressed the English.bat icon, but then as it usually does it should come up with the warning thing which didn't come up. I then pressed enter and started my game. But the level name didn't change, there was no load screen and the keys still said load. Such an unusual problem. Why is this happening?

ajewers
18-04-08, 15:31
Umm, did you copy the script and english files into the main trle folder? apart from that i have no clue...

Yasin
18-04-08, 15:41
What ajewers said plus:

If you do not get the warning message such as "Could not find <randomlanguage> " that means you made an error in your script which is not located in your english.txt

My advice would be manually ( going trough the command prompt ) create the script files so you can actually see the error.

Seth94
18-04-08, 17:17
Thanks for your time though even if I make changes that are wrong it doesn't even recognise them when you press the English.bat icon.

Yasin
18-04-08, 18:47
That is why I said go manually trough it =| Do you know how to do that ?

Anyway I can give you suggestion to figure out the error, even with the english script.bat. Follow these steps.
1) Open this file with notepad
2) add pause at the end

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/8323/errlb5.jpg

3) save the file and doubleclick it.

After it tries to creates the script it will halt and waiting for a key to be pressed. This gives you the opertunity to read the error. example:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8315/err2oo9.jpg

There are plenty of ways to do it. I myself use NGscripter program to script normally, it also shows errors and warnings.

Seth94
19-04-08, 11:45
Okay, I tried that, but there is no error. What the problem is is that my script won't work at all! Nothing- can't rename keys, levels, at load screens, and resize key items. It won't allow anything!

ajewers
19-04-08, 12:02
umm stupid question did you save the script after editing it??

Seth94
19-04-08, 12:05
Yes.

Yasin
19-04-08, 12:22
That seems very odd... Can you be more precise of what you are trying to do. You are lacking the detail of your problem.

Edit: By rereading your first post you are saying your keys show up as "load" etc. And also you mentioned adding. Keep in mind that you cannot add new lines to your English.txt only replace. You have to replace excisting lines ( strings ) with the custom text you want to use. Make sure that the text in Script.txt must be excactly the same as in English.txt else it will show errors. If this is not the case then atleast show us what you are trying to do in a detailed way =|

Seth94
19-04-08, 12:28
I can tell you something else odd. The level I deleted for my new one, that's the level I made when I first started, that had a key called Sandy Key in Key Item 2. And in my level now, in key slot 2, I have it as Ship Main Key, but it still says Sandy Key! From the level before??? There is something going on, maybe my script has corrupted or something.

Seth94
19-04-08, 12:38
I am replacing the names of the keys but when I do, it still doesn't recognise it and says load- that's the problem with the script.

Yasin
19-04-08, 12:42
Why don't you show part of your script where we can see excactly what you are trying to rename plus the part where you replaced in your english.txt

Seth94
19-04-08, 13:04
My computer doesn't let me insert screenshots. Can you tell me how to just in case i am doing it wrong.

Yasin
19-04-08, 13:28
By showing I didn't specificly meant showing a screenshot. Hence you can also copy/paste your script here and wrap with around with [code] tags.

aktrekker
20-04-08, 00:22
Make sure the new script.dat and english.dat get copied to the main trle folder.

Yasin
20-04-08, 08:31
Doesn't the batch file moves the files by its own ?

aktrekker
20-04-08, 22:39
There are different versions of the batch file. Some do, some don't. If your changes don't happen, check to make sure the .dat files were moved.

Seth94
21-04-08, 17:09
Could this be the problem:

Since I have installed the latest Nero my Script and English.dat files have changed into video files, still being opened by the notepad. If it is, how to I change it back to the .dat files?

aktrekker
22-04-08, 07:05
Ah, Nero handles .dat files for video CD's.It really doesn't matter unless you try to open the .dat files by clicking on them.
If you really want to change the association, this is how I do it on Win98/Win2K.

Open My Computer.
On the menus select Tools->Folder Options
Click the File Types tab
Scroll to DAT and select it. Click the Delete button
This will unregister the .DAT extension which is normal.
Click OK

Seth94
23-04-08, 18:07
Well, there must be something totally wrong. I've even downloaded it again and pressed the English.bat file and it still doesn't work on the new one. Also, I got an error when installing it about some strings thing and it says in the english.bat, that it can't find the strings.h. What on earth is that? Has anyone ever had this severe problem before?

aktrekker
24-04-08, 07:08
You should have a copy of strings.h in the script folder. If not, copy it from the main trle folder.
Also make sure script.dat and english.dat are not read only, both in the script folder and the main trle folder.

Yasin
24-04-08, 07:22
I don't seem to understand why some people fail to follow advice given by the people who are trying to help out.

Also as second. Aktrekker, It does not matter if Script.dat and English.dat are located in the script folder or not. Neither it matter if it is readonly or not. Because they are generated new from the Script.txt and English.txt. You can delete them a 1000 times and they will still be generated. Hence why you have to move the .dat files to the TRLE folder.

And finally. Seth94, you are not really cooperating in order to fix your problem. Either explain step by step what you have or trying to do and what the error message excactly is. You can do this two ways: Or start explaining in detail the issue or reinstall TRLE so you got a clean script folder and then start working your way again trough the changes.

Seth94
24-04-08, 15:20
1. There is no error message.
2. I've tried reinstalling it but that script doesn't work.
3. I've explained millions of times what the problem is.

I don't know what you want me to say- shall I repeat what I said before- or what? Somebody must have had this problem before!!! That is what makes me angry! But even if they haven't, there must be a solution.

Sorry- Aktrekker, I don't seem to have the strings.h in my TRLE folder.

Light a Flare
24-04-08, 16:07
I don't seem to understand why some people fail to follow advice given by the people who are trying to help out.

Also as second. Aktrekker, It does not matter if Script.dat and English.dat are located in the script folder or not. Neither it matter if it is readonly or not. Because they are generated new from the Script.txt and English.txt. You can delete them a 1000 times and they will still be generated. Hence why you have to move the .dat files to the TRLE folder.

And finally. Seth94, you are not really cooperating in order to fix your problem. Either explain step by step what you have or trying to do and what the error message excactly is. You can do this two ways: Or start explaining in detail the issue or reinstall TRLE so you got a clean script folder and then start working your way again trough the changes.

I am unsure you actually understand what his problem is. Saying "post a screenshot" or "error report" of the script isn't really helpful from what I understand of the problem. It seems that everything was working perfectly fine (i.e. making small changes to the script.txt, for example key names and level names, and then adding them to the english.txt.) Then suddenly, the script.bat, when run, simply didn't make the assigned changes.

Fair enough, it's easy saying make sure you check that you have typed in exactly the same text in the english.txt as you did in script.txt, but unless it states an error in the command menu after running the script.bat, then that suggestion is irrelevant, especially seeing as he has re-installed level editor.

I am no super-tech, so I don't know anything much about these problems, but in Seth94's favour, I think some of you, especially Yasin, don't completely understand the problem and are so feeding back irrelevant solutions (perhaps not your fault.)

Anyway, I hope this has cleared some things up, because this post seemed to be in a bit of mess.

Regards,
LaF

Yasin
24-04-08, 17:31
Edit: nvm it is useless to start an discussion here. I rest my case.

Seth94
24-04-08, 18:10
I'm just saying I don't understand what you are trying to say- You keep telling me to explain step by step but I have already done that in my previous posts haven't I?

1. I make changes, i.e- rename a level/ key, etc.
2. I overwrite an existing name with the new name in the English file.
3. I press the English.bat icon.
4. It says it can't find strings.h, and doesn't tell me anything like it used to, i.e, warning languages, tells me it's converting scripts.
5. I test the changes, (but there aren't any.)

So what do I do now? I've tried everything.

Yasin
24-04-08, 18:51
According to your step 3 and 4 it says: "cannot find <installdirectory> strings.h right ? If this message occurs it means there is an error in your script ( like you said: The changes don't occur. No other way. I tried along with you and reproduced every possible scene. Like deleting Strings.h aswell to see what happens, but the script converts fine and the changes occur. It must be something else...

I can offer you to take a look by sending me your script.txt and english.txt so that I can try it on my pc. That way we can determine if it is something else or not. Else we hitting a mystery here.

McRaider
24-04-08, 19:08
Why you don't change the Script file for a new one and start all over again ?
Thats was what I did and works for me.

When I change the name of the level and load screen coordinates had the same problem
and what I did was the solution..

Seth94
24-04-08, 20:13
It must be the Strings.h file Yasin, because:

1. It says it can't find it and that is holding it up.
2. When installing another TRLE, it comes up with the error,

ISDX_ERR_BADWINDOWSVERSION- entry not found in strings table.

Notice the strings part of the error- could this be the problem?

Yasin
24-04-08, 20:54
(O.O) Never seen such an error before and thus goes beyond my boundaries. My apologies then for being unable to help further =|

aktrekker
25-04-08, 07:00
You should NEVER get that error. It is trying to install DirectX 6 that comes with the LE. You need to do a custom install of LE and uncheck DirectX.

Seth94
25-04-08, 16:20
Well, I am able to use the smilies now at least:)- but I already have DirectX 6, shall I uninstall level editor again and reinstall it to see if that works. :hea:
:hea:- Why can't everything just work?

aktrekker
26-04-08, 07:08
OK. let's review.

You got an error on installation, which means DirectX6 probably didn't install. Hopefully trle had a successful install and everything is ok.

You get an error converting the script that indicates strings.h can't be found. This error actually comes from the script.bat or english.bat, whichever you have. It means the file is not there. It is created by script.exe, so there must be an error converting the script.

Try converting the original script.txt and english.txt. If that works, the problem is obviously in your script file. You can make sure it works by checking the date/time on the new script.dat.
If the original script won't convert, we can figure out what to do next.

Seth94
27-04-08, 14:14
No, the origonal script doesn't work. Light a Flare gave me a copy of his script which worked for his levels, but I tried it on mine and they didn't work...:(

I don't know what to do. If I use a different computer then I will have to start all over again!:(

Kevin
27-04-08, 14:57
If you are not able to convert one of the original scripts then the problem is probably your computer.

I had a similar (perhaps the same) problem, where no one was able to help me to convert my scripts.

The problem was that a file (dunno which) was missing on my computer. After installing SP2 (I have XP) it worked without any problem.

Seth94
27-04-08, 20:55
SP2?

How can I install it? I might try it to see if it works on my computer.

Maybe this is what I need!;)

aktrekker
27-04-08, 21:40
Since you aren't able to convert any scripts, the problem is probably permissions. Others have fixed this problem by installing trle in My Documents. But it never hurts to install service packs, so go ahead and do it, if you can still find it.
On the Start menu select Windows Update (that's where it is on Win2K anyway). It should automatically find any updates you need. At least it will find the right place on the website so you can download the service pack.

Seth94
29-04-08, 15:44
:D:D:D

Since I thought I had the service pack 2, i didn't however, so i installed it and now the level names rename and the script works! :yah:

Thank you all for your ideas to help,

Seth94

Von croy1992
05-05-08, 21:18
what you have to do is edit the scrip onto the main menu, then you cionfigure UYHTY. onto the dependant people of "allow".

Seth94
05-05-08, 21:20
what you have to do is edit the scrip onto the main menu, then you cionfigure UYHTY. onto the dependant people of "allow".

What is this meant to mean? :confused:

Seth94
05-05-08, 22:27
It's fine now Von Croy1992. ;)

The problem was sorted a time ago now.