PDA

View Full Version : Man hypnotises himself before surgery.

Neteru
19-04-08, 01:07
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44581000/jpg/_44581958_alexlenkei226b_pa.jpg

A hypnotist from West Sussex has undergone surgery on his right hand without a general anaesthetic.

Alex Lenkei, 61, from Worthing, chose to sedate himself by hypnosis before undergoing the 83-minute operation. He said he was fully aware of everything going on around him during the procedure but was free from pain. The operation at Worthing Hospital involved removing some bone in the base of the thumb and fusing some joints in an attempt to improve his arthritis.

Consultant orthopaedic surgeon David Llewellyn-Clark said he was happy in agreeing to the unusual sedation on Mr Lenkei, a registered hypnotist who has been practising since the age of 16. Mr Lenkei said Wednesday's surgery "went amazingly well. It took between 30 seconds to a minute for me to place myself under hypnosis, and from that point I felt a very deep relaxation. I was aware of everything around me, from people talking and at one stage a hammer and chisel was used as well as a surgical saw, but I felt no pain."

Throughout the operation, an anaesthetist was on standby to administer an anaesthetic if necessary. Mr Llewellyn-Clark said he had been confident that Mr Lenkei was a skilled hypnotist and was "delighted all went well".

Story bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7355523.stm).

Chiki Mina
19-04-08, 01:15
I think I rather get an anaesthetic instead. Just because I wouldn't like to be hearing all that goes around me especially them using the necessary equipment/tools for the operation. That would freak me out. I really don't believe in hipnosis, though, it's interesting but it's something that I don't feel comfortable on doing.

Either way, this is a rather interesting story. I'm pretty amazed that these doctors didn't insist and agreed on his decision.

Gabi
20-04-08, 12:19
Generally a brilliant replacement for anaesthetics, but also a potential loophole for disaster.
And the legal side of things really needs to be very clear to everyone.

digitizedboy
20-04-08, 12:32
quite disturbing actually, who would want to hear their own bones been chiseled away at? I'm sure hipnosis wouldn't be an alternative if it was a more serious procedure though?

Rivendell
20-04-08, 12:44
Fascinating! :tmb:

Cochrane
20-04-08, 13:20
Interesting to see that it works for him, but I'd always prefer conventional methods when it comes to myself.

Seb_01225
20-04-08, 13:28
i guess they should use it for some people!

because my friend is immune to being put to sleep and anesthetics!
so it would be a help to people like him who woke up during surgery because the anesthetics dont work on him!

Hardcore Nerd
21-04-08, 14:34
Hm.. Interesting. But it is strange that he did it to himself! :)

rowanlim
21-04-08, 15:02
That's an interesting story, I recalled watching a Discovery documentary, where a guy meditated HIMSELF as he underwent a ROOT CANAL EXTRACTION...That was weird because they recorded the operation, & as the dentist got to the root, he started moaning, because the pain got through, but he managed to complete the surgery without any complications :p

JamesFKirk
21-04-08, 15:03
Just imagine the man staring into mirror saying "Look into my eyes..."... :vlol:

Drone
21-04-08, 15:56
yup I've heard about such things b4 :) It's good for people who have immunity against the anaesthetics

and anyway anaesthetics aint' good for health

Lonely Istari
21-04-08, 16:39
Wow, that's really interesting. It would freak me out though hearing all that sawing and such... and I'm sure the smells aren't anything too pleasing... :eek:

i guess they should use it for some people!

because my friend is immune to being put to sleep and anesthetics!
so it would be a help to people like him who woke up during surgery because the anesthetics dont work on him!

Good point. And I dunno if it's true, but I saw an episode of Grey's Anatomy where a guy was alergic to the anaesthetic, so they had to do an awake surgery... where he felt no pain but was fully aware and able to speak and all. So, I guess if those sort of situations do occur then it would be a nice alternative.

Hardcore Nerd
21-04-08, 18:14
Just imagine the man staring into mirror saying "Look into my eyes..."... :vlol:

:p Nice way!