PDA

View Full Version : Neuromarketing: deciding your tastes for you

Geck-o-Lizard
19-04-08, 17:15
For an ad campaign that started a revolution in marketing, the Pepsi Challenge TV spots of the 1970s and '80s were almost absurdly simple. Little more than a series of blind taste tests, these ads showed people being asked to choose between Pepsi and Coke without knowing which one they were consuming. Not surprisingly, given the sponsor, Pepsi was usually the winner.

But 30 years after the commercials debuted, neuroscientist Read Montague was still thinking about them. Something didn't make sense. If people preferred the taste of Pepsi, the drink should have dominated the market. It didn't. So in the summer of 2003, Montague gave himself a 'Pepsi Challenge' of a different sort: to figure out why people would buy a product they didn't particularly like.

What he found was the first data from an entirely new field: neuromarketing, the study of the brain's responses to ads, brands, and the rest of the messages littering the cultural landscape. Montague had his subjects take the Pepsi Challenge while he watched their neural activity with a functional MRI machine, which tracks blood flow to different regions of the brain. Without knowing what they were drinking, about half of them said they preferred Pepsi. But once Montague told them which samples were Coke, three-fourths said that drink tasted better, and their brain activity changed too. Coke "lit up" the medial prefrontal cortex -- a part of the brain that controls higher thinking. Montague's hunch was that the brain was recalling images and ideas from commercials, and the brand was overriding the actual quality of the product. For years, in the face of failed brands and laughably bad ad campaigns, marketers had argued that they could influence consumers' choices. Now, there appeared to be solid neurological proof. Montague published his findings in the October 2004 issue of Neuron, and a cottage industry was born.

Read the rest here (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/persuaders/etc/neuro.html
).

So. Pepsi or Coke? :mis: How much do YOU think branding influences your choices?

Mr.Burns
19-04-08, 17:20
Interesting article Geck :) Been known for years but it's interesting to see the neurological side of this.

Encore
19-04-08, 17:22
But once Montague told them which samples were Coke, three-fourths said that drink tasted better, and their brain activity changed too. Coke "lit up" the medial prefrontal cortex -- a part of the brain that controls higher thinking. Montague's hunch was that the brain was recalling images and ideas from commercials, and the brand was overriding the actual quality of the product.

A hunch doesn't sound very scientific to me.
I love most of Nike's ads. Yet, I don't own a single Nike piece of clothing or shoes...
I think advertisement plays a part but I highly doubt it's this significant.

Mr.Burns
19-04-08, 17:29
It also depends on the susceptibility of the person viewing the advert.

Encore
23-04-08, 16:55
It also depends on the susceptibility of the person viewing the advert.

I supose... But in the case of Coke and Pepsi, issues of status and stuff like that aren't even involved (as is in the clothing department, brand names mean status). It's a bit like McDonald's vs Burger King, it puzzles me.

..but my question now is: why was this thread ignored? I'd like to see other people's opinions! :confused: :rolleyes:

Titanium
23-04-08, 17:00
So. Pepsi or Coke? :mis: How much do YOU think branding influences your choices?

"Walks like a zombie" Beckham... likes pepsi.... so I should to...

Nah, to be honest I just drink what I feel like. :p

Apofiss
23-04-08, 17:08
Neuromarketing, old as the world itself... neuro-programing is a one hellish thing, in nowdays that is :-D

tomblover
23-04-08, 17:13
Pepsi or Coke? Both, if ya please. :p

McGloomy
23-04-08, 20:00
Q: Pepsi or Coke?
A: Vita Cola!

http://shop02.webpage.t-com.de/WebRoot/Store/Shops/Shop423/Products/Vita_0020_Cola/Vita_0020_Cola_0020_neu2_h.jpg

I think both companies have actually a very bad image, so I prefer this German Cola brand. I'd also say that it tastes better of course. :p

Kerrigan
23-04-08, 20:12
Yet I still prefer Pepsi! Although when I'm with more people arond who drink Coke, if I taste it from someone's can, it tastes really good.
I guess I have come to associate Coke with social gatherings rather than with adds.

Gregori
23-04-08, 22:51
What can I say, coke tastes better.

interstellardave
24-04-08, 03:19
I prefer R.C. (Royal Crown Cola) to both of them!

But it's not in the machines where I work; they have pepsi and coke... I drink pepsi more often when choosing just between those two.

Veronica Ma
24-04-08, 09:05
So. Pepsi or Coke? :mis: How much do YOU think branding influences your choices?First observation I found interesting is how many only answered the first question... which I thought was a rhetorical buildup to the second. :vlol:

Oh, I think branding influences more than we realize. Branding gets us where we are most vulnerable... our egos. And as much as we'd like to think we don't have one, we do. We identify with everything and those marketers know it. That's why branding exists. Take for example, cars. If an alien came down to Earth and looked at the symbols on two identical cars, would he be able to pick out that the Mercedes was the most expensive? :D

thanatos
24-04-08, 12:47
Pepsi or Cola, why put either junk in my body? I drink water and fresh juice thanks.

Hang on, this post is way off topic and preacher!! Let me get back on-topic. I think it's always been known marketing makes the product (the sports gear I own is almost all exclusive Nike, I'm such a tool :() but it's interesting to read about someone whose conducted scientific research into it. It's especially interesting when it's concerning two products that are so close to one another in taste, customer demographic and advertising style.

Branding gives the item an 'image', if that image is cool/sophisticated/funny/sexy we will buy that product because that's how we'd like to think of ourselves.

Soma Holiday
24-04-08, 13:48
I drink the diet versions of both, and I prefer Coke...but that doesn't mean I don't like Pepsi...Pepsi is just a little bit sweeter...Coke has a much better kick hehe...

I never really saw all these ads...so I'd say I'm bring honest with my taste buds. :D

digitizedboy
24-04-08, 13:49
Interesting,

But I personally don't think I would go in a shop and buy a certain brand of something just because I remembered an advertisement I saw on TV or in a magazine. It would be down solely to my own tastes.
Maybe I would think an advert is cleverly (or cunningly) designed. In order to get people to buy their product though.

For me, Pepsi or Cola? I'd be happy with a bottle of economical cola, with a white label on the front and bold black lettering.

thanatos
24-04-08, 14:04
Interesting,

But I personally don't think I would go in a shop and buy a certain brand of something just because I remembered an advertisement I saw on TV or in a magazine. It would be down solely to my own tastes.
Maybe I would think an advert is cleverly (or cunningly) designed. In order to get people to buy their product though.

Advertising is sub-concious, you may not realise it but they're affecting your tastes!