PDA

View Full Version : How to watch higher quality YouTube.com videos

tlr online
20-04-08, 02:24
By putting the code below after the youtube.com video code, you get the same video in higher quality.

&fmt=18

Check out this example.

U5kB2AcIrjk

Neteru
20-04-08, 02:27
And I'd assume we put that code inside the youtube tags, right?

tlr online
20-04-08, 02:31
Yeah. Alternatively, you can select HQ in your youtube playback options if you are signed in.

Fish.
20-04-08, 02:37
I saw MrSafety's video about this, it's quite useful! :tmb:

Neteru
20-04-08, 02:39
LOL My eyes must be failing me. I don't see any difference. :D

tlr online
20-04-08, 02:44
LOL My eyes must be failing me. I don't see any difference. :D

I think ordinarily it's connection speed dependent. This bypasses that and displays the better quality version of the video. If you have a fat connection, you probably already get the HQ version.

oocladableeblah
20-04-08, 02:49
I don't see a difference, and on your account you can select to have higher quality of a video.

Larapink
20-04-08, 02:50
Oh the good old notepad works well as always, lol. :vlol:

Neteru
20-04-08, 02:52
I think ordinarily it's connection speed dependent. This bypasses that and displays the better quality version of the video. If you have a fat connection, you probably already get the HQ version.Ah, that explains it. So basically, you're saying I'm fat. :mad: :D

Sir Croft
20-04-08, 02:55
Nice! :D
Thanks for posting!

I think ordinarily it's connection speed dependent. This bypasses that and displays the better quality version of the video. If you have a fat connection, you probably already get the HQ version.

I think some videos have the HQ version and others don't. I tried the trick with the video for Mariah Carey - Touch my Body, no difference, but then I tried with Britney Spears - Piece of Me, and a huge difference!

Lonely Istari
20-04-08, 03:01
Ah, that explains it. So basically, you're saying I'm fat. :mad: :D

I think he means Phat. ;) (pretty hot and tempting!) :D

Shrantellatessa
20-04-08, 03:53
It worked for me, I could clearly see the difference :tmb: Thanks Justin :)

Rachel Croft
20-04-08, 04:40
hey what do you know, it works! :) even though my pc is pretty new. thanks a million Justin

george_croft
20-04-08, 06:24
Wow, thanks Justin! It's working perfectly for me, but sadly its not working when you embed videos. Here's a perfect example of a video with horrible quality clearing up and becoming high-Q:

Low-Q: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0iY54LxqXog

High-Q: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0iY54LxqXog&fmt=18

In case your connection speed wont let you tell the difference, here's a comparison pic:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/george_ganno/omg%20new/youtube.jpg
Love it. :tmb:

only Croft
20-04-08, 10:41
tnks for posting this info Justin you just made buhmillions of videos watchable XD

findme
20-04-08, 10:43
Wow neat trick.

Titanium
20-04-08, 11:06
You can also click the TV icon on a youtube video page and choose high quality from there. Only some videos will contain it however, quality depends on the video the user uploaded.

scion05
20-04-08, 11:13
I've just watched some clips with it, and it really does depend on the original video :tmb: :wve:

tlr online
20-04-08, 11:16
You can also click the TV icon on a youtube video page and choose high quality from there. Only some videos will contain it however, quality depends on the video the user uploaded.

Never noticed that icon before. Well spotted :tmb:

raiderfun
20-04-08, 12:06
This function does not work with all videos actually, there are some which stay bad even if you do the tip ;)

there is another hint, no need to add the tag everytime :

Go to My Account - Account (below) - Video Playback Quality - therefore, you choose either option depending on your connection speed.

-Choose my video quality dynamically based on the current connection speed.

-I have a slow connection. Never play higher-quality video.

-I have a fast connection. Always play higher-quality video when it's available.

Note that you can also choose the third option if you have a slow speed, however you'll wait longer for the loading ;)

Titanium
20-04-08, 12:17
This function does not work with all videos actually, there are some which stay bad even if you do the tip ;)

Well that could be due to the fact, the higher quality video is only just above the standard quality anyway. Or somebody took a low quality video, resaved it as high quality although it looks the same, and then uploaded it. :)

digitizedboy
20-04-08, 12:21
didn't look high quality to me, it looked the same.

kryptonite23
20-04-08, 14:29
Thanks for the info Justin!! :hug: :tmb:

Mister_Creazil
20-04-08, 14:54
I did it to one video and all that changed is the bass of the sound.

MiCkiZ88
20-04-08, 14:55
It's great, but some of my vids go off sync when using highquality for some reason. :/

Mister_Creazil
20-04-08, 14:57
It's great, but some of my vids go off sync when using highquality for some reason. :/

Most videos seem to be off sync these days, well, to me anyway. I've been trying to find a music video now for about 2 weeks, and all the ones I've found have been out of sync.

tomblover
20-04-08, 15:09
Weird, YouTube's never outta sync for me if it isn't the point of the video. O.O

Anyway, I checked this out with my newly released music "video". Hugely different!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/tomblover_2006/Comparison.jpg

Mister_Creazil
20-04-08, 15:11
Weird, YouTube's never outta sync for me if it isn't the point of the video. O.O

Anyway, I checked this out with my newly released music "video". Hugely different!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/tomblover_2006/Comparison.jpg

I tried the same thing with your video and it does actually work. xD

Seb_01225
20-04-08, 15:24
i noticed this a few days back! :D

its a good feature!

Conway
21-04-08, 01:53
Apparently, the quality of the sound also improves. Neat!

kooky
21-04-08, 01:56
Well, I still see not all the videos have higher quality options, I noticed a few days ago that my many deaths of Lara Croft series had higher quality options, but not the rest of my videos. :confused: