PDA

View Full Version : How do I make Lara swing on horizontal poles?

Lara's #1 Pal
21-04-08, 02:22
I got the animation, I took the horozontal pole object from tr5, now what?

Zique
21-04-08, 22:51
I don't know, sorry :(

Lara's #1 Pal
22-04-08, 03:18
Comon, i need help. An answer would make my day.

SSJ6Wolf
22-04-08, 03:29
The animations need to be reworked in conjunction with a horizontal version of the polerope to work in the TR4 engine. Tomo has done this and provided a tutorial of sorts with "Last Saga 4".

Lara's #1 Pal
22-04-08, 03:40
Can you post a link to the tutorial of sorts?

SSJ6Wolf
22-04-08, 14:26
Here is the level it was released with: http://trle.net/reviewsearch/levelfeatures.php?lid=983 I have not been able to find any downloads for just the tutorial itself.

God Horus
22-04-08, 20:13
Take the polerope out of Tomo's Last Saga, and just retexture it. Don't use some of the other ones, because Lara won't hold the pole properly in them.

Lara's #1 Pal
23-04-08, 01:03
Its to big of a file. It will take 4 hours to download. God Horus, could you take the item out yourself and put it on trsearch?

ReeceMix
23-04-08, 16:10
I don't know, sorry :(

LOL You've GOT to love this forum

Download the Bar here;

http://trsearch.org/Media.php?action=getitem&dbitem=1935

If you want Lara to swing around it also , you need to use the Jump trigger(for lara to grab) texture it invisible remove the pull down animations and insert the swinging ones find the correct controll commands and divert the animation to the normal jumping animation ,, pretty easy really, im surprised no-ones released it , but maybe their keeping it a secret :rolleyes:

Titak
23-04-08, 18:33

Download the Bar here;

http://trsearch.org/Media.php?action=getitem&dbitem=1935

If you want Lara to swing around it also , you need to use the Jump trigger(for lara to grab) texture it invisible remove the pull down animations and insert the swinging ones find the correct controll commands and divert the animation to the normal jumping animation ,, pretty easy really, im surprised no-ones released it , but maybe their keeping it a secret :rolleyes:This jump-switch setup you are describing is not included in that download you linked to.
With that setup the polerope object is used for the swinging-around and the death-slide is used to make the walking-on-tight-rope possible.

What you are referring to is the jump-switch method, which is not included in the download you posted. ;)

Well, what's keeping you from releasing it then. You'll be the first one. :D

Zique
23-04-08, 19:28

yeah I love it :jmp:
that answer was also a little bump, so somebody else that knows how to do it could help him, since the topic was going to another page :c

Lara's #1 Pal
23-04-08, 21:02
If you want Lara to swing around it also , you need to use the Jump trigger(for lara to grab) texture it invisible remove the pull down animations and insert the swinging ones find the correct controll commands and divert the animation to the normal jumping animation ,, pretty easy really, im surprised no-ones released it , but maybe their keeping it a secret :rolleyes:

:confused:What?:confused:

Could you say that again I didnt understand a word you said, could someone make a tutorial?

And I ALSO need to keep the regular polerope object. All these things are going in my gym.

Kitkat
23-04-08, 21:25
Sorry, the option is polerope, swingpole or tightrope. Only one - not all three. They all use the same slot in the wad, you see. :(

Try this tutorial:

http://www.tomb-raider-editor.com/english/tut-ziplines-en.php

It covers two of the above items plus the zip line. There is also a download with the objects and animations. :)

Lara's #1 Pal
23-04-08, 21:48
:yah::yah::yah::yah::yah::yah::yah:
:yah::yah::yah:!!!AT LAST SOMETHING USEFULL!!!:yah::yah::yah:
:yah::yah::yah::yah::yah::yah::yah:

P.S.Do you think that they would mind if i posted their tutorial in the tutorial section?

Kitkat
23-04-08, 21:57
You should ask them first! ;)

They have a disclaimer that says:

Links to these tutorials are permitted. However, any changes, full or partial publication on other sites or forums of these tutorials, their images or their translations is forbidden without their authors' prior permission. All rights reserved.

ReeceMix
24-04-08, 01:04
Well, what's keeping you from releasing it then. You'll be the first one. :D

Basically because lara has to grab it directly in the center its imperfect, I dont wanna spend time on making something nearly work or buggy

but Ive had a think and if Ensi/Harly/Palone or GOD itself, can find the jumpswitch data in the exe and extend the handle/interaction area length to the full square length, lara will be able to swing on it anywhere on the square.

In the end, with whatever palones working on, now we can use boats im sure a piffy pole wont be far off.

.. In the process of writing this I have had a brainwave that might solve the problem but its only theoritical and probabally imperfect , I will try it

ReeceMix
24-04-08, 01:58
I will try it

Ok Ive done a rough test and it works, it its not perfect;
Im not explaining it in great detail, just the very baisc idea of it

When Lara jumps onto a slanted floor with no wall her legs dangle slighty, this is a completely different animation to when there is a wall infront of lara below the edge of the grip

Replace this dangle animation with the spinning around the pole animation
and add set position (0,0,1024) this is so it moves lara's dummy mesh (not the animating one) forward out of the way of the ledge at shes hanging from at the end of the spinning animation, if you dont do that she just hits into the ledge at the end of the animation and doesnt move

direct that animation to the jumping forward animation with a 'set grab command' and direct that animation to laras 'catching' animation
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/4861/mehoa4.jpg
The Pros:
Lara can catch the ledge at any part of the pole

The Cons:
She can only catch the pole from one side
You have to build the rooms around the slanted (invisible)floor
You have to make sure lara cant jump ontop of the slanted floor
You have to make sure you dont create any more slanted floors that could trigger the spinning animation
Edit: Cant use monkeybars
Its not perfect but at least im thinking :mis:

laralives
24-04-08, 03:05
Nvm. :(

SSJ6Wolf
24-04-08, 11:33
ReeceMix, that is interesting. However I have another "con" for you - you cannot use monkeyswings if you do that. Lara uses the same animation when grabbing monkeyswings. Also, because of the set position command you would need to edit the pole swinging animaiton so that she shifts forward at the end, or else Lara would just jump forward a square when taking off.

ReeceMix
24-04-08, 14:50
Lara uses the same animation when grabbing monkeyswings. Also, because of the set position command you would need to edit the pole swinging animaiton so that she shifts forward at the end, or else Lara would just jump forward a square when taking off.

Yes you are correct

Titak
25-04-08, 16:00
Basically because lara has to grab it directly in the center its imperfect, I dont wanna spend time on making something nearly work or buggy

but Ive had a think and if Ensi/Harly/Palone or GOD itself, can find the jumpswitch data in the exe and extend the handle/interaction area length to the full square length, lara will be able to swing on it anywhere on the square.

In the end, with whatever palones working on, now we can use boats im sure a piffy pole wont be far off.

.. In the process of writing this I have had a brainwave that might solve the problem but its only theoritical and probabally imperfect , I will try it
This is not my biggest concern actually. (Although it would be great if it could be made possible!)
What bugs me about the regular swingpole setup (the one from Tomo's Last Saga levels) is that Lara does not always grab the pole at the correct height. :(
I tried to get around this as much as possible by placing the swingpoles in such a way that Lara had to perform a running jump to be able to grab the pole, but it did not always work perfectly. :(

I'm going to have a look at the tutorial/package Kitkat linked to now. :D

ReeceMix
26-04-08, 10:57
What bugs me about the regular swingpole setup (the one from Tomo's Last Saga levels) is that Lara does not always grab the pole at the correct height. :(

I think this is because the polerope is used for lara to swing on, and the polerope is originally a 'vertical grab interaction', your only changing the animations not the way lara interacts with the object, the only way to be sure lara grabs it at the correct hight is to use the jumpswitch or the way I described.

The only other way I theorised it could be possible is if you created a monkeybar roof and used trep to force lara into the correct position and then used 'play anim' to start lara swinging or something like that, but I cant be bothered wasting time on it when a patch or TRNG will make it work soon enough

Titak
27-04-08, 17:16
I think this is because the polerope is used for lara to swing on, and the polerope is originally a 'vertical grab interaction', your only changing the animations not the way lara interacts with the object, the only way to be sure lara grabs it at the correct hight is to use the jumpswitch or the way I described.

The only other way I theorised it could be possible is if you created a monkeybar roof and used trep to force lara into the correct position and then used 'play anim' to start lara swinging or something like that, but I cant be bothered wasting time on it when a patch or TRNG will make it work soon enough
Correct.
That darn pole-rope slot has some hardcoded thing for that 'vertical grab interaction'.
At least the jumpswitch setup fixes that part. :D

Now all we have to do is wait for a patch to fix it all. :D

Fluen
24-05-08, 11:47
Sorry, the option is polerope, swingpole or tightrope. Only one - not all three. They all use the same slot in the wad, you see. :(

Try this tutorial:

http://www.tomb-raider-editor.com/english/tut-ziplines-en.php

It covers two of the above items plus the zip line. There is also a download with the objects and animations. :)

In that case I suggest you download "Egyptian Dream" by MagPlus. It contains both a playable level and the project itself because it was meant as a tutorial. And it's a great game.

But it contains both a swingpole and a tightrope. So they don't go into the same slot. And the wad comes with the download.