PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox Easter Egg!

spikejones
24-04-08, 07:53
OK, I'm bored so I figured I'd let you guys know about this little easter egg. If you use mozilla firefox, and I believe it works with Netscape as well, but not IE. type the following in your address bar:

about:mozilla

The message is different from version to version if I recall correctly.

Cochrane
24-04-08, 07:59
Yes, different versions show different messages, although I'm not certain whether Firefox itself ever switched (this started back in the Netscape days and got carried on to Mozilla). Internet Explorer 5 at least displayed an empty blue page, no idea what the modern versions do.

Bumio
24-04-08, 08:02
ha ha ha ha... the book of Mozilla :vlol: :rolleyes:

touchthesky
24-04-08, 08:27
Lol thats ace, thankyou for sharing.

jamieoliver22
24-04-08, 08:50
Yeah, seen it before :p

*hugs his Firefox*

sjam_raider
24-04-08, 09:22
That's quite amusing :D

Rivendell
24-04-08, 09:27
And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced.
But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird.
The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire
and thunder upon them. For the beast had been
reborn with its strength renewed, and the
followers of Mammon cowered in horror.

from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

:D Cool!

kryptonite23
24-04-08, 09:32
Thanks for sharinG! :D

spikejones
24-04-08, 16:25
Yes, different versions show different messages, although I'm not certain whether Firefox itself ever switched (this started back in the Netscape days and got carried on to Mozilla). Internet Explorer 5 at least displayed an empty blue page, no idea what the modern versions do.

yeah, its something I learned about 9 or 10 year ago, when I was in high school. I don't think about it too often. I'm not sure if the behavior in IE was supposed to be Microsofts way of saying that Mozilla would cause the BSOD or if it had something to do with the fact that you used to be able to enter about:[insert color name here] in IE and see that color fill the browser window.

Cochrane
24-04-08, 18:09
One can, by the way, see something about the state of the Mozilla project from the message at the time it was written. I think the first Mozilla versions had something about a rising of the great beast against the unbelievers, i.e. Mozillas dragon against Microsoft. Firefox then has the great beast defeated, showing that Mozilla (as originally planned) never managed to take off. The bird rising from the ash is of course a Phoenix, which is what Firefox was originally called. It went from there to Firebird before settling on it's final name due to the other names already being taken.

Alex Fly
24-04-08, 18:11
Lol, that's nice. Thanks for sharing.
I have exactly the same message than Rivendell, but in french. :D