PDA

View Full Version : it's a grapple GUN!

josh2l
06-05-08, 00:29
i just looked at this pic, and it definitely reveals the grapple as more of a gun this time around:

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/underworld/screenshots_360_01.html

it's the second pic down on the left side.
pretty interesting concept...:D

aussie500
06-05-08, 00:32
l have no idea what picture you are referring to josh2l, but we have seen Lara using the grapple, it looks the same as the old one, nothing like a gun.

KC Mraz
06-05-08, 00:33
Nothing new.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u252/kcmraz/gancho.jpg

josh2l
06-05-08, 00:35
^;)

there it is.
sorry KC, didn't know this had been discussed before.
i certainly had never noticed till now.

aussie500
06-05-08, 00:40
Sorry l had just not noticed it at all, a picture would help when starting a thread.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/Tomb%208/screen003ddd.jpg

Larapink
06-05-08, 00:44
I thought the grapple was going to be the same as from Legend. :confused:

I didn't know about it aswell, but nicely spotted. :tmb:

Endow
06-05-08, 00:45
Nicely spotted, new to me.

kissmelara
06-05-08, 00:47
That's no news there. Grappling guns are similar to flair guns. Or better yet, remember Batman Begins?

Sweets
06-05-08, 00:48
That is very exciting that her grapple is now a grapple gun. I always wanted her to have a grapple gun, I just hope it is utilized right.

Quasimodo
06-05-08, 00:50
Sorry l had just not noticed it at all, a picture would help when starting a thread.

Holy fudge! How did I not notice that before!? Now Lara can grapple batman-style :D

Gamd1011
06-05-08, 00:52
You mean this? :confused:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee24/gamd1011/screen003_2.jpg

KC Mraz
06-05-08, 00:53
^ That's not the grapple. That is a little bag that Lara have on her leg :)

PD: Gamd, do you have the full image of your avatar?, I've never seen it before :eek:

gtkilla
06-05-08, 00:55
I've noticed this since we first got the HQ screens, but it seems quite a few people haven't, so thanks for posting. :tmb:

aussie500
06-05-08, 00:57
Well Lara did have a grapple gun in TR5 (l think it was TR5 anyway) but it was not as small as this one. Explains how it can "stick" to more things, but how is Lara going to get it back? We could always manually target with the old ones even if it never stuck and the final look still seems to be the same, grapple cable coming from Lara's belt, unless it has been changed. Will be interesting to see what the animation looks like. Nicely spotted josh2l. :tmb:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/aussie500/Tomb%208/tru-screenshot-008.jpg

Story and the actual game are things that grab my interest. Cannot say Lara's weapons have ever been of much interest to me l have not even bothered to look at the guns. :o

Gamd1011
06-05-08, 01:29
I found it on Tomb Raider Chronicles, but for some reason I can't find it anymore.

KC Mraz
06-05-08, 01:37
^ WOW, that's weird o_O.

Tear
06-05-08, 01:45
Hey, I never noticed either..:D

KC Mraz
06-05-08, 01:49
I found it on Tomb Raider Chronicles, but for some reason I can't find it anymore.

I found it :):

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4107/14gz8js8.jpg

But why wasn't released a HQ version of that image? :confused:

Gamd1011
06-05-08, 01:51
Oh that explains why I couldn't find it. :tea:

Shrantellatessa
06-05-08, 03:41
WoW!!! Awesome find :tmb:

AmericanAssassin
06-05-08, 04:07
It looks freakin' awesome! :tmb: I can't wait to see the new grapple animations. I hope it has some crazy new abilities! :D

Conway
06-05-08, 04:24
Definitely new to me. :tmb:

Jedd Fletcher
06-05-08, 04:38
Excellent! I've always loved Batman-style grapple guns, and think it would look great in Underworld.

aussie500
06-05-08, 05:09
I found it :):

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4107/14gz8js8.jpg

But why wasn't released a HQ version of that image? :confused:

That would be because when Keir and Justin gave us those nice high res screenshots they ended up with a thread full of complaints that they were not good enough. There are a lot of screenshots that are not available in high resolution, we could have possibly had them all if fans had shown they appreciated them.

AmericanAssassin
06-05-08, 05:11
That would be because when Keir and Justin gave us those nice high res screenshots they ended up with a thread full of complaints that they were not good enough. There are a lot of screenshots that are not available in high resolution, we could have possibly had them all if fans had shown they appreciated them.

If they weren't so bad, we would have appreciated them. :p We were only being truthful, as we should be. I hate lying kiss-ups.

Lara.Jolie7
06-05-08, 05:38
Mmm
never saw that, Thx for share!

kryptonite23
06-05-08, 06:59
Nice Find there! :tmb: :D

Drone
06-05-08, 07:50
thanks

McGloomy
06-05-08, 07:58
Seriously? Reminds me of my kindergarten (the behaviour of some people but also the "punishment"...) :rolleyes:

I guess they'll change the animation a bit. It would be strange if she still made that throwing animation.

RAID
06-05-08, 08:12
Knew this :)

A grapple gun makes sense. Much better than throwing a rope impulsively hoping it attaches...which by the way never missed :rolleyes:

Angelus
06-05-08, 09:00

A grapple gun makes sense. Much better than throwing a rope impulsively hoping it attaches...which by the way never missed :rolleyes:

*Giggles*

Totally agree. :D

Endow
06-05-08, 09:04

You still have to aim a grapple gun.

Only TR lover
06-05-08, 10:32
Wow... I didn't notice that before!!! Gun looks cool ;)

Obscure
06-05-08, 10:40
Amazing :tmb:
I swear some people have eagle eyes. I'm the complete opposite :D I'm more of a "Wow that looks great!" *Clicks off*

I wonder how the grapple will be intergrated into the game this time around.

rowanlim
06-05-08, 11:23
Great find! That looks really cool! :tmb: ;)

PS I was distracted by her hips. She looks great :D

CroftScionGuard
06-05-08, 11:43
Maybe, and perhaps the grappling now may be more interesting. Maybe now the grapple may attach to everything in the environment instead of metallic surfaces (TR:L), or yellow stupid rings (TR:A).

This new grapple may be used as if it was a gun, but not to grapple enemies of course;):tmb:

aussie500
06-05-08, 11:48
l wonder if they are going to have the wall run, l can just see Lara doing a double wall run with a grapple gun. Aim, shoot, jump, wall run, jump, aim .....splat! Perhaps we get double the cable so no more double wall runs. :)

Edit - Actually no l can see a few problems on the horizon for doing wall runs with double the cable.

CroftScionGuard
06-05-08, 11:49
l wonder if they are going to have the wall run, l can just see Lara doing a double wall run with a grapple gun. Aim, shoot, jump, wall run, jump, aim .....splat! Perhaps we get double the cable so no more double wall runs. :)
Actually, I prefer if they don't bring the double grappling like in the other two games. *squish**squish*

No plz, I don't find it funny

Alex Fly
06-05-08, 11:52
Wow I've never noticed it was a grapple gun. I've just seen the round part of it and I thought it was exactly the same model as the Legend one but in black. Great find, and the idea a grapple gun sounds exciting. :tmb:

aussie500
06-05-08, 11:54
Actually, I prefer if they don't bring the double grappling like in the other two games. *squish**squish*

No plz, I don't find it funny

l have to admit it was not that believable, but it added challenge sometimes. l do like the wall run though and would love a couple of more fancy rappelling moves.

CroftScionGuard
06-05-08, 12:03
l have to admit it was not that believable, but it added challenge sometimes. l do like the wall run though and would love a couple of more fancy rappelling moves.
I don't mean I didn't like the grapple moves Lara does, but I think that double (and triple) grapple use, one following another, like the ones in Nepal's temple in TR:L and the double wall-run in Temple of khamoon in TR:A are nice, and possible. Lara may be a very good athletic, but I would like to see her doing the possible. Grappling a ring in the air (after jumping), then perform wall-run, jumping again to then grappling again a second yellow ring to then perform a second wall-run to reach the other side is impossible without bad luck in the way. Lara's so good at doing so that she can throw the grapple to the ring after jumping, and the grapple hook will attach to the ring.

"you know you're lucky, right?"
"I'd like to think some skill was involved"

No double grapple-moves plz

aussie500
06-05-08, 12:08
It was not so much the impossibility of throwing it twice, but in TRA it was an old fashioned grapple, with prongs that need to be shaken a bit to detach, no way would Lara get it of in time to throw it again while in mid air. If they can do it and it looks reasonably believable l will suspend my disbelief, but l agree, no doubles or triples would be preferable.

jeffrey van oort
06-05-08, 13:16
Wow !!!
YES!!!
JIPPIEJ!!!
HAPPINESS!!!
!!!!
OOOEEJAHH!!! :D
Very Ada RE4 Alike:D

CroftScionGuard
06-05-08, 17:41
Very Ada RE4 Alike:D
I doubt of it!

I doubt Lara will used this grapple gun to push herself to where she wants to go, unlike Ada.

Lara will use it as a rope to balance, and Ada doesn't do that.

But yes, it's far better:D

Chiki Mina
06-05-08, 17:46
I never noticed that. So you can just shoot it and grab anything. I would like to do that, instead of grapping only the shiny things where you can only grab.

Tom1358
06-05-08, 17:51
thanks again for the spoiling title of this thread!

Chiki Mina
06-05-08, 18:01
thanks again for the spoiling title of this thread!

In here, there's gonna be lots of spoilers. So get used to it :rolleyes:

Lara_Fan
06-05-08, 18:14

WOW, I haven't noticed it at all before. Now that's another realistic thing. I wouldn't've tought to update the grapple too. Neat. I like the new accessory :cln:

badboy70
06-05-08, 18:14
I hope this'll mean manual aiming with the grapple instead of throwing it automatically at strangely shining objects xD

No_more_bullets
06-05-08, 18:18

Maybe they didn't know how to upload a picure with their post like i don't (forgive my ignorance) you shouldn't criticise someone when their directions were perfectly adequate without a picture.
The grapple is undeniably more gun like in form. Is that a trigger? One would assume she no longer throws it but aims and shoots at the target instead? Cool.

buffytabor
06-05-08, 18:32
Very cool. I hadn't spotted it either. :)

thevman
06-05-08, 18:42
Pic is so dark, I still couldn't find it... for a while! :o

never_the_same
06-05-08, 19:22
I thought the grapple was going to be the same as from Legend. :confused:

NO!!
Lara is able to apply pressure to the grapple!
it's not the same like in legend, you can do more things with it (than in TRL)

Ilie_Fusarau
06-05-08, 23:38
Great find josh2l ! :tmb:

MadCroy101
06-05-08, 23:41
Really wicked. Looks like a little pistol or something.

Twilight
07-05-08, 01:39
looks like it'll be more manual, so more realistic. cool :)

Shrantellatessa
07-05-08, 02:13
It means that we not only gona use the grapple for that stupid wall run, more uses will be added (as shown in some screenshots); which will be fuuuuuuuuuuuun :jmp:

RAID
07-05-08, 06:49
Which is exactly why I want manual aim for the grapple, just like how it was in the Tenchu games.

hLlhEYADeyw
Second video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj_nlPW2eF0)
Without flying like Superman of course...

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

They way it was in Legend/Anniversary didn't make sense for plenty of reasons.

1. There's no way someone can throw a rope that straight (only possible with a gun)
2. There's no aiming and it still attaches
3. Somehow she manages to retrieve it in a sec

Grapple gun is the way to go. Makes much more sense and can be retrieved in a few seconds, and shot in a straight line. All you have to do is aim with it, which means no throwing it in mid-air :)

robm_2007
07-05-08, 19:58
so will it have a magnet or the hook

tranniversary119
07-05-08, 20:02
They way it was in Legend/Anniversary didn't make sense for plenty of reasons.

1. There's no way someone can throw a rope that straight (only possible with a gun)
2. There's no aiming and it still attaches
3. Somehow she manages to retrieve it in a sec

Grapple gun is the way to go. Makes much more sense and can be retrieved in a few seconds, and shot in a straight line. All you have to do is aim with it, which means no throwing it in mid-air :)

Well its only a game :whi: :p

Justflipit
08-05-08, 04:21
all these new things in this game scare me... maybe my pc wont run it =(((((
I usually get games for free. Only games i buy are the TR-s got all of them :D and well i just hope by some insain way the requirements will be similar to legends and not higher then assassins creed ^^ then i can make eidos happy and buy one ^^

Evan C.
08-05-08, 04:28
Well,considerating that the game will be released also for PS2,im sure that you could choose if you wanna low or high details and stuff.

Shark_Blade
08-05-08, 13:30
It looks nice and modern. I hope it's not magnetic like Legend.

RAID
08-05-08, 13:46
It looks nice and modern. I hope it's not magnetic like Legend.
I hope so too. Though I doubt we will get auto-aim and attachable to anything feature. The tenchu grapple was excellently made.