PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! My Cat Is Driving Me Crazy!

Real Life Raider
10-05-08, 23:06
Ok, some of you guys might remember last summer I got a little kitty-cat.

Yeah...cute.

Now he's grown up and he will not keep his paws on the floor.

He knows he shouldn't but he is always jumping onto shelves, knocking things down, causing damage, eating houseplants etc.

Is there someway I can tame his bad behaviour, especially when I'm not around?

Oh by the way...he is neutered but he is still a little monster when he's on his own.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Geck-o-Lizard
10-05-08, 23:21
Is he allowed outside? Ours used to do that until they were finally allowed to frolic outdoors, and now they exhaust themselves scampering around the neighbourhood and just sleep when they come inside.

ben croft
10-05-08, 23:25
Is he allowed outside? Ours used to do that until they were finally allowed to frolic outdoors, and now they exhaust themselves scampering around the neighbourhood and just sleep when they come inside.

:D :mis:

Mrshina
10-05-08, 23:31
For one cat is quite normal that he have got too much energy so he is playing with everything and do all that things....maybe he want some cat friend or a dog friend or maybe some more attention and make some games with him...i have 10 cats and they re fine:)

KC Mraz
10-05-08, 23:33
Get a little girl-cat lol.

Real Life Raider
10-05-08, 23:36
have 10 cats

10 cats? You must have nerves of steel!

@Geck, he has recently started going outside in the back garden but only when somebody is outside too.

I was thinking about having a catflap fitted so he can go outside when he wants. You think this might help?

EDIT:

He's neutered!

Mrshina
10-05-08, 23:39
10 cats? You must have nerves of steel!

@Geck, he has recently started going outside in the back garden but only when somebody is outside too.

I was thinking about having a catflap fitted so he can go outside when he wants. You think this might help?

EDIT:

He's neutered!

I think that it helps...yes 10 cats but they are nice:o

Geck-o-Lizard
11-05-08, 00:02

Yeah for sure. Ours have a flap and they can use it whenever they like. If there's a spot in the garden for him to use as a loo then you won't need to clean out litter trays any more either. :D

Basically, once a cat knows where "home" is (ie. the place where food is) then he'll always return to it. Cats have an awsome sense of direction, so there's no need to worry about them getting lost, 'specially since yours has been with you for a year already. They don't run away for miles on their first time out alone either; ours spent most of their first week outside just exploring the back garden before venturing out any further.

It was really hilarious. Dante and Evey were wee terrors when we first got them; they were two bundles of inexhaustable chaotic energy. The first day they were allowed to go outside, they were sprinting all over the garden for hours, and by 6pm they were both zonked out for the night. :vlol:

ben croft
11-05-08, 00:05

That's my boy :mis:

Geck-o-Lizard
11-05-08, 01:24
Woah, the joys of cats. Evey just took a LIVE mouse up to my room, as a present I guess. It escaped, and now it's currently hiding under a cushion on my bed. o_o

Real Life Raider
11-05-08, 01:28
Woah, the joys of cats. Evey just took a LIVE mouse up to my room, as a present I guess. It escaped, and now it's currently hiding under a cushion on my bed. o_o

Nice.

Evey's loss is, it would appear, your gain.

:)

Geck-o-Lizard
11-05-08, 01:38
Here she is. I've named her Mudkip. :D

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9692/mudkipthemousede4.jpg

Larson_1988
11-05-08, 01:42
Here she is. I've named her Mudkip. :D

:D

Get that thing out of my face!!! "http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s57/larson1988/runaway.gif"

I remember my cat coming in with one of those and started eating it while i had almost gotten to sleep! :eek: I'm still traumatized of it! :tea:

So you're gonna keep her? :p

Geck-o-Lizard
11-05-08, 01:44
Nah, I'll take her out to the park tomorrow and let her go where she's less likely to be immediately caught by the cats again. For tonight, she can have some rat muesli and stay in her box.

Larson_1988
11-05-08, 01:45
You're so kind to the small animals! :) I would have taken it out straight away. :p

Real Life Raider
11-05-08, 01:57
OMG.

Geck tells me to let the cat out....and shows me the consequences.........

.........can anybody else help............?

Geck-o-Lizard
11-05-08, 02:06
:vlol:

Tbh ours mostly only go after bees and wasps. This is the first non-insect we've been presented with.

Another option, I guess, would be to get another cat to keep it company. But then there's the chance that it might not solve anything, and you'd have two hyper cats to deal with.

spikejones
11-05-08, 02:38
letting the cat out is a good idea. they are hunter gatherers by nature. usually though when they bring back a "present" like a mouse or vole, it is dead. That's kinda strange that geck0 got a live one. Don't let the cat see you getting rid of the presents, do it when they are not looking, otherwise they wont get rid of the rodents that might actually be in the house. I wouldn't worry about the cat running away. if you keep it fed, it will return. I had picked up a stray kitten once that I had only had for a couple days when it decided to pee on me. I threw it out of the house (not too hard), and it still came back that same night.

Hairhelmet12
11-05-08, 04:48
Heres something i use to get my cats away from a place i dont want

TEST THIS FIRST

Get a cotton swab
then dip it in some nail polish remover. put it to your cats nose and if that dont like the smell then BLAM! there it is put some of it around the area that you dont want them to be around and that should stay away from the area i dont know if this works but i seen it work with my cats.

Or!

I seen on this show that thay have thease little mats that you put on your counters and stuff and if the cats get up there then thay get a little shock on there paws but not enuf to hurt then just enuf to geive them the message to satay down

i hope this works!

LeggyFoot
11-05-08, 05:09
Ok, some of you guys might remember last summer I got a little kitty-cat.

Yeah...cute.

Now he's grown up and he will not keep his paws on the floor.

He knows he shouldn't but he is always jumping onto shelves, knocking things down, causing damage, eating houseplants etc.

Is there someway I can tame his bad behaviour, especially when I'm not around?

Oh by the way...he is neutered but he is still a little monster when he's on his own.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)

LOL! THIS IS THE CUTEST THREAD EVER LOL.

OMG. LOL. Cutest post i've ever read here.
:jmp:

touchthesky
11-05-08, 06:15
Toys, toys, toys!

Also, he might be looking for attention so don't give him any when he does it. Ignore him. Remove anything valuable first, obviously.

LeggyFoot
11-05-08, 06:18
Heres something i use to get my cats away from a place i dont want

TEST THIS FIRST

Get a cotton swab
then dip it in some nail polish remover. put it to your cats nose and if that dont like the smell then BLAM! there it is put some of it around the area that you dont want them to be around and that should stay away from the area i dont know if this works but i seen it work with my cats.

Or!

I seen on this show that thay have thease little mats that you put on your counters and stuff and if the cats get up there then thay get a little shock on there paws but not enuf to hurt then just enuf to geive them the message to satay down

i hope this works!

That's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. I want to see what Jenni says about it. :D

kryptonite23
11-05-08, 06:23
Have a dog that will scare our cat out and your cat will always be at your side.

Then keep or loose the dog. ;)

Greenkey2
11-05-08, 10:21
ROFL at the zapper mat! :vlol: Knowing our lot they'd just ignore it, or start a new trend with the neighbourhood cats. Sleek n' Static maybe? :cln:

Honestly though, Geck et al have the right idea. Cats - especially when they're young - are hyper and need a lot of stimulation and exercise to keep from tearing up every house plant and antique vase they come across.

If you live in a relatively quiet area then a cat flap is a great idea. However, best to get the cat microchipped beforehand (collars have a bad habit of conveniently getting lost - we once found one belonging to one of ours halfway up a tree :pi:).

About getting another cat; they say cats are solitary animals. Wrong. They're always happier if they've a pal to play with/fight/sleep next to/steal food from/gossip with/go to bingo with (okay maybe not the last one - cats have standards :p). If your cat seems bored (and you can afford to) best to introduce another one to keep them company :tmb:

Plenty of toys, sanctioned places to climb (those climbing frame/scratching posts are ideal, especially if you spray them with catnip :whi:), regular fuss and play, treats and talking to them like the equals they are will all help your cat thrive. Please can we have pictures? :jmp:

@ Grace: At least it wasn't a shrew. Shrews are evil little buggers :pi:

Inkheart
11-05-08, 11:52
Well said, Jenni! All good ways of preventing cats from ripping apart your house by actually solving the cats problem, not just yours.

I'd advise you to make the most of this period while your cat's young, because when he gets old, he might not want to charge around and play anymore, and you will miss that. My old moggy does virtually nothing now apart from sleep and demand food and fuss (and he dribbles when he's really happy - sweet! :D). Of course, I still love him to bits, but I do sometimes wish he was a little bit more playful.

touchthesky
11-05-08, 21:24
If you live in a relatively quiet area then a cat flap is a great idea. However, best to get the cat microchipped beforehand (collars have a bad habit of conveniently getting lost - we once found one belonging to one of ours halfway up a tree :pi:).

Collars are the devil lol. You want your cat to be safe so you buy one..but a regular one is dangerous so you buy a snap-free one and they come off every 2 seconds!

Apofiss
11-05-08, 21:47
Well, cats need enough space/freedom to begin with... huge yard + cat = happy cat :]

TRfan23
11-05-08, 21:48
I love cats sooo much, trouble is that, we don't have one. My dad hates them completly, and he's allergic to their fur, same with my mum, but she doesn't hate them so much. My bro is also allergic to their fur, I am but the allergy doesn't set off as much. My sis isn't allergic to any animals at all. :yik: Typical!

Anyway once I went round my aunties house, and I was playing with her cat all the time. I let it climb on me etc... Then that night I had a dodgey dream, well you don't want to know very sick! Normally men + woman, but in this case it was me + cat. ewwwwwww. :yik:

If you asked my dad for help he'll say attach it to a firework rocket, and set it off.

stranger1992
11-05-08, 21:56
I love cats sooo much, trouble is that, we don't have one. My dad hates them completly, and he's allergic to their fur, same with my mum, but she doesn't hate them so much. My bro is also allergic to their fur, I am but the allergy doesn't set off as much. My sis isn't allergic to any animals at all. :yik: Typical!

Anyway once I went round my aunties house, and I was playing with her cat all the time. I let it climb on me etc... Then that night I had a dodgey dream, well you don't want to know very sick! Normally men + woman, but in this case it was me + cat. ewwwwwww. :yik:

If you asked my dad for help he'll say attach it to a firework rocket, and set it off.

right...moving on a wee bit.

I would actually quite like a cat though I could bet many times over the family won't see it that way. I am afraid of dogs (especially when they are running) so having a feline friend would be good. Also considering I talk to myself a lot if anyone hears me then i could say i was talking to the cat..and somehow i would'nt seem mental. :)

Geck-o-Lizard
11-05-08, 22:03
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cat_proximity.png

Angel666
11-05-08, 22:06
:vlol:

TRfan23
11-05-08, 22:13
Request Deletion.

stranger1992
11-05-08, 23:03
Trust me, with those stupid PM's you keep sending me I am goign to block.block.block you. STOP sneding me such disturbing PM's :(

Back on topic.

Real Life Raider
11-05-08, 23:40
Hey Folks!

The cat has been outside all day today and now he is zonked. Mind you, today was very nice....what can I do when it's chucking it down outside??!!

@Geck...yes this one goes after big flies and bees too, but I've not yet been treated to a mouse!

@Spike: Why do they bring back their trophies as 'presents'?

@Greenkey, this puss will not wear a collar! I tried. He ran around and started banging his head on the floor so I had to remove it very quickly!

Pictures you say?

Here he is last August.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/RobBo-imagick/UTF-8BMjAwODA3LTAwMDEuanBn.jpg

And here he is now.....!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/RobBo-imagick/DSC000071.jpg

spikejones
11-05-08, 23:58
cute cat. as per your question about the presents... have you ever seen a show about lions in the wild? Much can be learned about the behavior of the common house cat by watching their relatives in the wild. The leader of the pride eats first. If your cat is loyal to you and views you as the leader of the pride (most do) they will bring their kills to you. If on the other hand, the cat eats the creature first and brings you scrap, they are treating you as being inferior to them. Basic animal psychology. Another thing, you shouldn't let your cat lounge around in a place that is higher in elevation than you are (dogs either). When they do this, they are asserting their dominance over those around them - including the humans. If that behavior is tolerated, you are basically giving them a free pass to do whatever they please.

Real Life Raider
12-05-08, 00:30
you shouldn't let your cat lounge around in a place that is higher in elevation than you are

Ha ha! Thanks spike!

As far as I'm concerned the 'dog shelf' (floor) is fine for cats.

He has a kind of bed-hammock thing that he got for Christmas (I ask you!) and he sometimes kips on a window-seat. Other than that he is not allowed on any furniture.

When there is no-one in the room however..........

Hairhelmet12
12-05-08, 00:32
That's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

Jezz.rude. i was just trying to help and the nail polish thing DOES work ive tryed it

Real Life Raider
12-05-08, 00:35
Jezz.rude. i was just trying to help and the nail polish thing DOES work ive tryed it

And your help is appreciated :) Thank you.

Elysia
12-05-08, 06:44
*goes all gooey* Awww, kittie... :o

In all honesty, he sounds exactly like my two when they were babies (now they're nearly 9, they're big lumps that just laze around the place... :rolleyes:). I'll never forget Akira bringing me home a little wicker basket ("Yes! Umm, well done? That must have been very hard to catch..." *has visions of kitten infiltrating neighbours houses and stealing things*) and Rabbit getting herself stuck on the roof not one, not two, but three times (she has a hip problem, meaning she can't jump as far as other cats - she's also about three times more stubborn than any other cat I've met, and so she wouldn't try to go back the way she came - she just sat on the roof and howled for ages...).

Toys are a godsend. Mine still play and make toys out of anything and everything - last night, Rabbit decided to start empting an amazon box of all its little packaging noodles one by one so she could jump on them and bat them around. We do get mice occasionally, but on the whole, they are happy with their toys. Going out helps a lot - in winter, when the weather is bad and they stay in, they can be a bit of a nightmare, but they do tend to chase each other around rather than being destructive.

Basically, he will grow out of a lot of it. I kind of miss the manic energy mine had when they were young (but then I remember the sleepless nights, listening to them thundering around the house and the times they would sit by the bed and meow for ages because they wanted to play and I realise that maybe then growing out of it all isn't such a bad thing after all!). If he insists on being destructive when you're out, then you might need to shut him in the kitchen or something - make sure the sides are clear, put toys on the floor and give him water / food / bed / litter tray (if he needs one) and let him get on with it - he will then learn to entertain himself with 'approved' toys and not your houseplants etc.

JamesFKirk
12-05-08, 07:44
My flatmates have two cats. And I have a few hamsters. Once, one of the cats tried to make a funny meal of one of the smaller ones. I was lucky I got there in time. After that, the cat got a "flying lesson" (got long corridor between rooms; and no, the cat was not harmed). After that, my hamsters live in peace (live is the important word). I simply showed the cat who is the boss.

Greenkey2
12-05-08, 11:55
@ Grace: :vlol: That's made my day!

@ Real Life Raider: awwww, so sweet :o Give them a fuss from me :hug:

@ Elysia: lol about getting stuck on the roof :D Our Jasper has done that a couple of times - once on Christmas day while we were watching Dr Who. It suddenly dawned on us that the constant meowing was not part of the soundtrack....

cammy.
12-05-08, 13:45
I have one cat. He's an ******* but I love him. He's really well behaved actually, apart from the fact that he's overweight and never stops looking for food. And he doesn't really like being picked up and carried. He hates it actually which I think is weird because everyone I know's cat's like it.

I suggest letting it outside that way it can tire itself out during the day and go nuts, and that way when you let him in he should pretty much go straight to sleep lol.

Capt. Murphy
12-05-08, 14:49
Your cat is most likely at that 'jerk' stage of his adolescent kitty years. So yeah. He needs to be let loose - out doors. Or, if you're afraid of him getting attacked by dogs or hit by a car... (like I'd be)... Maybe you could get him a toy mouse or... cat gym... thing. :-/ Or just smack the crud out of him when he acts up. That'll teach him! :mis:

petujaymz
12-05-08, 16:33
If your cat was a dog I'd have a few suggestions for you.

It's Me Or The Dog, Dog Borstal, The Dog Whisperer...

When there's jack on I tend to watch crap like this.

:wve:

interstellardave
12-05-08, 16:42
Not meaning to be accusatory, here, just asking... but, do you play with him a lot when you are home? Maybe he wants your attention... people think cats are loners but they need attention too; not as much as dogs but some good play time with you might calm him down even when you're not home.

Real Life Raider
13-05-08, 23:18
*goes all gooey* Awww, kittie... :o

In all honesty, he sounds exactly like my two when they were babies .....Akira ...and Rabbit .

Wait...you have a cat called Rabbit? :D

@ Dave^^ Yes mate, he gets LOADS of fuss. All the time!

TRfan23
14-05-08, 16:58
Request Deletion.

TRfan23
14-05-08, 17:00
Request Deletion.

dream raider
14-05-08, 18:25
Good luck with your cat! I just wanted to show you my kittens...

http://i30.************/2zghmh1.jpg

They aren't mine, by the way. :p It's a pic I found on the net. ;)

I only have a dog.

RockSteady101
14-05-08, 18:48
...I'm sorry for random Spammage, but this thread just reminds me of the scene from Scary Movie 2...

SOMEONE HELP ME! MY PUSSY'S GONE CRAZY!

:vlol::D

Aside that, no advice i'm afraid, my cats are lil' angels! :)

TRfan23
17-05-08, 12:17
Request Deletion.

lisa_croft
17-05-08, 12:57
-while youre not in keep him outside.
-When he does something bad, punish him straight after he did it. (smack his nose)
-when he does something bad, dont give him attention
-if hes good give him attention
-if he did something good, give him a treat
-if he poo's/wee's stick his nose in it then throw him outside

They are some of the things i do with my kitty-cat :)

Hope it helps.

TRfan23
17-05-08, 13:10
Request Deletion.