PDA

View Full Version : 22/12/2012

hey_jude
10-05-08, 23:47
What do you think it is going to happen on that day? :confused:

If it's possibile, I'd like to have a SERIOUS discussion.

oocladableeblah
10-05-08, 23:48
idk, I thought the end of the world was the first day on the year 2012 not the end of the year.

Gregori
10-05-08, 23:49
the planet will spin back to the previous day, in avoidance

Mrshina
Wow thats hard question...but if i look where we are now so where we will be in that day.....:(:hea::hea::hea:

Larson_1988
I'll probably be decorating for Christmas. :)

Vertigo
Mayas were so smart ancient civilization. And that calendar says there was 4 ends of the world and here comes fifth. I`m a pessimist also and I think we`re all gonna die. I`m gonna die young! Hooray! XD

Mad Tony
10-05-08, 23:50
I've said this many times before and I'll say it again:
It will be like any other day. The sun will rise, the sun will set. Nothing out of the ordinary is going to happen, or anything out of the ordinary does happen, it's not going to have anything to do with this silly little prediction.

KC Mraz
10-05-08, 23:50
Nothing :).

Vertigo
10-05-08, 23:51
By the way isn`t it December 12?

hey_jude
10-05-08, 23:53
No, it is the 22. :)

Vertigo
10-05-08, 23:54
Thank you!
Read my siggy and you will know I don`t care about Apocalypse XD

Legend of Lara
10-05-08, 23:54

So will I. :) Christmas shopping all done, so I'll put the final touches on my decorations and wait for a lovely Christmas day.

BTW, I thought it was the 21st? :p

Encore
10-05-08, 23:56
I hope we'll all go down with a bang :D I've always thought that the most awesome way to die is in a huge catastrophe like "The Day After Tomorrow"... or "Cloverfield". YEAH!

ben croft
10-05-08, 23:57
The same that happened back in 09/09/1999

:p

kooky
10-05-08, 23:58
I think it will just be another ordinary day where kids will get excited for Christmas & people will get ready for 2013. :)

Legend of Lara
10-05-08, 23:59
I hope we'll all go down with a bang :D I've always thought that the most awesome way to die is in a huge catastrophe like "The Day After Tomorrow"... or "Cloverfield". YEAH!

No, the most awesome way to go is in Final Fantasy VII. Gigantic. Meteor. Launched by a vengeful demi-god. :p

digitizedboy
11-05-08, 00:01
Dunno, people going Christmas shopping?

Legend of Lara
11-05-08, 00:02
Dunno, people going Christmas shopping?

2 days before Christmas Eve? :p

KC Mraz
11-05-08, 00:03

And in 06/06/2006 ("666").

Vertigo
11-05-08, 00:03
Actually I don`t care. I can`t change anything so I`m gonna see what happens.

hey_jude
11-05-08, 00:04

That date is not contemplated by the Mayas. However, many websites talk about a day of cataclysms, other mention the end of the world, but other keep telling that it could be a day were the human race will reborn, and new horizons will overspread. Somebody talks about the advent of a new civilization, like at the beginning of the previous cycle of life (our is the fifth, started in 3114 AD) with the coming of Sumerians.

Legend of Lara
11-05-08, 00:08
That date is not contemplated by the Mayas. However, many websites talk about a day of cataclysms, other mention the end of the world, but other keep telling that it could be a day were the human race will reborn, and new horizons will overspread. Somebody talks about the advent of a new civilization, like at the beginning of the previous cycle of life (our is the fifth, started in 3114 AD), with the coming of Sumerians.

Gigantic load of crap IMHO. These types of theories and prophesies are unprovable are pretty much false.

Hybrid Soldier
11-05-08, 00:09
It will be like any other day. The sun will rise, the sun will set. Nothing out of the ordinary is going to happen, or anything out of the ordinary does happen, it's not going to have anything to do with this silly little prediction.

I'll lol at you if something does happen. :p

hey_jude
11-05-08, 00:09
Gigantic load of crap IMHO. These types of theories and prophesies are unprovable are pretty much false.

Why?

Legend of Lara
11-05-08, 00:10
Why?

As I said:
Unprovable.

Mad Tony
11-05-08, 00:12
I'll lol at you if something does happen. :pYeah? Well, I'll... I'll lol at you if you lose the soul patch! :p

hey_jude
11-05-08, 00:14
As I said:
Unprovable.

So nothing says it will be a normal day. It's a 50:50.

Encore
11-05-08, 00:14
2 days before Christmas Eve? :p

You bet!!!! You should see the shopping malls 2 days before Christmas here in Portugal.

In fact, maybe THAT'S the apocalypse the mayans saw. Christmas shopping spree... aaaaahhhhhhhhh :yik:

Admles
11-05-08, 00:15
It will be like any other of the billions of other days on this planet.

Mad Tony
11-05-08, 00:15
So nothing says it will be a normal day. It's a 50:50.It's a heck of a lot less than that. The odds of the world ending (or whatever they predicted) must be like a trillion to one. Think of how many days have passed without that happening.

Encore
11-05-08, 00:18
It's a heck of a lot less than that. The odds of the world ending (or whatever they predicted) must be like a trillion to one. Think of how many days have passed without that happening.

Actually no! The world WILL end. That much is inevitable. You should say "the odds of the world ending at that precise date must be like a trillion to one"

Even so, that's probably not true, since statistically speaking, there must be equal probabilities of any event whatsoever happening at any given day, and that includes a catastrophe. But whatever.

hey_jude
11-05-08, 00:19
You bet!!!! You should see the shopping malls 2 days before Christmas here in Portugal.

In fact, maybe THAT'S the apocalypse the mayans saw. Christmas shopping spree... aaaaahhhhhhhhh :yik:

Please, if you don't believe or don't wanna share a serious opinion, don't poke fun about this thread and leave. I thought it would be interesting to discuss, there's no need to always being sarcastic. Freely express your opinion, but a serious one if it's possible.

Encore
11-05-08, 00:20
Please, if you don't believe or don't wanna share a serious opinion, don't poke fun about this thread and leave. I thought it would be interesting to discuss, there's no need to always being sarcastic. Freely express your opinion, but a serious one if it's possible.

..... O_o
I just did (read above your post)

A "no jokes allowed" thread. Ok..

Mad Tony
11-05-08, 00:21
Actually no! The world WILL end. That much is inevitable. You should say "the odds of the world ending at that precise date must be like a trillion to one"

Even so, that's probably not true, since statistically speaking, there must be equal probabilities of any event whatsoever happening at any given day, and that includes a catastrophe. But whatever.Oh yeah, the world will end. But the odds of this prediction coming true at this point in time must be ridiculously low.

hey_jude
11-05-08, 00:22
..... O_o
I just did (read above your post)

A "no jokes allowed" thread. Ok..

(We wrote at the same time) It was not an attack, don't worry. :hug: Just a way to avoid this thread becoming a joke.

hey_jude
11-05-08, 00:23
Oh yeah, the world will end. But the odds of this prediction coming true at this point in time must be ridiculously low.

Well maybe not the end of the world, but... something else?

kooky
11-05-08, 00:23
Oh yeah, the world will end. But the odds of this prediction coming true at this point in time must be ridiculously low.

Exactly that is what I was about to say... The world won't possibly end for a long, long time.

Mad Tony
11-05-08, 00:24
Well maybe not the end of the world, but... something else?Again, probably very low chance. What makes this prediction so believable anyway? As Legend of Lara said, there is no evidence to support it.

Legend of Lara
11-05-08, 00:26
Hypothetical Question: HOW do you think the world would end? A crumble? Blood-red skies and brimstone? Or just in the blink of an eye?

Geck-o-Lizard
11-05-08, 00:29
So nothing says it will be a normal day. It's a 50:50.It's a heck of a lot less than that. The odds of the world ending (or whatever they predicted) must be like a trillion to one. Think of how many days have passed without that happening.

Well, it could be 50:50. Either the world ends or it doesn't. :p

But, naw. Nothing's going to happen. It'll probably rain.

Hybrid Soldier
11-05-08, 00:30
Yeah? Well, I'll... I'll lol at you if you lose the soul patch! :p

I don't think i will.. so that means you won't lol at me! :p

hey_jude
11-05-08, 00:32
Nobody said it has to be the end of the world. Speculations talk about a pole wondering, an alignment of the Sun, the Earth and a bunch of Pleiades with the center of our galaxy. I don't know if this celestial phenomenon will bring some kind of disaster.

amiro1989
11-05-08, 00:33

My sister's birthday...:D She'll be 25.

No seriously, I don't think there'll be any kind of cataclysm. Global Warming has enough for us in a near future...

Encore
11-05-08, 00:36
Exactly that is what I was about to say... The world won't possibly end for a long, long time.

The only way other than that, would be self-destruction (mankind destroying itself). Even though perhaps the planet would survive such a thing (although very diferent from what we know now, possibly sterile?), our race would be extinguished meaning in fact the end of our world.

I think this is very probable, but not in a single one day event (unless old Cold War fears of nuclear apocalypse come true, we never know). I think we're doing it slowly, and the process of our own destruction will take many decades to be complete.

Encore
11-05-08, 00:37
Nobody said it has to be the end of the world. Speculations talk about a pole wondering, an alignment of the Sun, the Earth and a bunch of Pleiades with the center of our galaxy. I don't know if this celestial phenomenon will bring some kind of disaster.

If it's an astronomic phenomenon, wouldn't the astronomers already know about it? They can predict those types of movements.

kooky
11-05-08, 00:38
The only way other than that, would be self-destruction (mankind destroying itself). Even though perhaps the planet would survive such a thing (although very diferent from what we know now, possibly sterile?), our race would be extinguished meaning in fact the end of our world.

I think this is very probable, but not in a single one day event (unless old Cold War fears of nuclear apocalypse come true, we never know). I think we're doing it slowly, and the process of our own destruction will take many decades to be complete.

If there is a Nuclear war, chances of mankind destroying itself in the near future are really low.

Legend of Lara
11-05-08, 00:40

Who knows? Maybe it'll bring kittens, love and happiness.

hey_jude
11-05-08, 00:42
If it's an astronomic phenomenon, wouldn't the astronomers already know about it? They can predict those types of movements.

I don't know for sure, I'm reading about this just now, but it seems that they already confirmed that event.

Encore
11-05-08, 00:43
From Wikipedia.

Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbrath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that "We [the archaeological community] have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end" in 2012.[13]

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, Inc. in Crystal River, Florida. To render December 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."

:confused:

hey_jude
11-05-08, 00:52
I know astronomers discovered a big black hole in the middle of the Milky Way: according to them, this black hole is capable to swallow up stars. I read the in some Mayan drawings, this black hole is clearly at the center of our galaxy.

kooky
11-05-08, 00:56
I know astronomers discovered a big black hole in the middle of the Milky Way: according to them, this black hole is capable to swallow up stars. I read the in some Mayan drawings, this black hole is clearly at the center of our galaxy.

We would most likely not get swallowed up in it, the black hole in the center of the galaxy is too far away from the earth. We live on the very edge of this galaxy.

Encore
11-05-08, 01:06
Some astronomers think there's a black hole in the center of every galaxy. I assume that's not a catastrophic discovery.

Conway
11-05-08, 01:10
Yeah, I'd say that too. Back when we were approaching the new millennium, people though a lot of catastrophic things will happen...and, nada.

amiro1989
11-05-08, 01:12
We would most likely not get swallowed up in it, the black hole in the center of the galaxy is too far away from the earth. We live on the very edge of this galaxy.

Even if we were swallowed by it, we wouldn't even feel it.... We would be dead in a matter of miliseconds.

digitizedboy
11-05-08, 01:16
Everyone's talking about the milky way and black holes. But what they forget is that there are other galaxies in this universe too. Probably with planets that are inhabited by crazy fools just as ourselves. Maybe they're talking about the same subjects we are now. lol

Shrantellatessa
11-05-08, 02:04
Only God knows when the world will end, not the Maya, so don't worry :wve:

spikejones
11-05-08, 02:44
the sun will rise, we will probably be going christmas shopping, drinking coffee at starbucks, perhaps catch a movie at the theatre. at night, the sun will set, we'll get excited about the presents under the tree and the stockings above the fireplace. We might even turn the gas on in the fireplace. Then we will get tired of conversation and go to bed. The sun will rise again on the 23rd and everything will be the same, only it will be one day later.

Admles
11-05-08, 02:48
Only God knows when the world will end, not the Maya, so don't worry :wve:

Nobody knows when the world will end

findme
11-05-08, 02:51
Probably stressing over not doing the xmas shopping early.

Shrantellatessa
11-05-08, 02:53
"Bart's Comet", the 14th episode of The Simpsons' sixth season, might answer the question too.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/Shrantellatessa/BartsComet.jpg

Watch it and you'll understand ;)

Nobody knows when the world will end

That's my point. Coz only God (who is not a person) knows.

tranniversary119
11-05-08, 03:11
Nothing will happen im not woried either :wve:

irjudd
11-05-08, 03:22
Y2k

kooky
11-05-08, 03:37
Y2K

What is that? :confused:

ben croft
11-05-08, 03:47
Some says 03:00 am is the Devil's hour. :eek:

:wve:

Sweets
11-05-08, 03:49
I always thought it was the Witching Hour?

Naomichi
11-05-08, 06:36
Honestly I expect nothing out of the ordinary to happen.

kryptonite23
11-05-08, 06:37
People might have some preparation for Christmas :D

Amarok
11-05-08, 06:54

actually the poles are already starting to "wander". the north pole is moving its way twords Russia. this is causing problems navigating old coordinates by compass because magnetic north (the pole) is moving. its one of the reasons why if you buy a gps you can set it to read magnetic north or "true" north. within half a century (so 50 years) magnetic north will be some where in siberia.

oh and if i remember correctly there has been a polar shift, or flip flop as it were, roughly 800,000 years ago and its happened many times before that.

Lara's Backpack
11-05-08, 07:00
Im going to trip on the sidewalk and land in the arms of my soul mate :wve: duh.

CAISACO
11-05-08, 07:08
It will be any other day.

Survival
11-05-08, 07:29
I´m still waiting for XF3 to find out ;)

Drone
11-05-08, 08:47
22/12/2012 Cthulhu will eat your brains away :wve:

scion05
11-05-08, 09:15
hmmmmm, i might go out shopping in Manchester :D

Lafa Cvoft
11-05-08, 09:26
22 - not crastmas, but 3 days to come :D
12 - means december - a lot of things to say about this...:rolleyes:
2012 - o_0.....

I think, that it'll be winter games ( :vlol:) sry.....just kidding :D
i think, that it'll be the day, when the 3 world war comes :( ot smth like that.....i listened to words about future by Hanga.....she said it.....that the 3 world war comes.....:(

PoisonParadise
11-05-08, 09:59
I don't believe in this, but it really does fascinate me. Maybe I do believe in it somewhere. Myths or stories like this always draw my attention. But tbh, I wouldn't mind dying because I'm old instead of dying because the world ends :rolleyes:

KIKO
11-05-08, 10:44
22/12/2012

Hmm... let me think.
TR11 ?

Archetype
11-05-08, 10:45
Windows 40000!

kryptonite23
11-05-08, 10:46
22/12/2012

Hmm... let me think.
TR11 ?

Windows 40000!
The Earth will be techonologized 100% :p

Archetype
11-05-08, 10:49
The Earth will be techonologized 100% :p

Digital pizza :/

kryptonite23
11-05-08, 10:50
Digital pizza :/

lol :vlol:

All kinds of food will be digital :D

Cristina
11-05-08, 10:55
by oocladableeblah- idk, I thought the end of the world was the first day on the year 2012 not the end of the year.

in my county in year 2000 was to end but im still alive...:p

Rexie
11-05-08, 11:05
Windows XP 65456654654654565413535354535135432 **** Hapenned edition

Chipmunks take over the world

Angeal (From FFVII: Crisis Core) is going to have revenge because some wear, tear and rust got on his sword, and after that, he will kill Tetsua Nomura, but first have a small chat with him about weather

The :jmp: smile will die

Lara jr Trent Conway Croft: Tomb Raider 85

Zip and Alister will die

I will Finish this list

I don't think anything will happen on 22.12.2012

kryptonite23
11-05-08, 11:09
Angeal (From FFVII: Crisis Core) is going to have revenge because some wear, tear and rust got on his sword, and after that, he will kill Tetsua Nomura, but first have a small chat with him about weather

That's going to happen :jmp: :D

Alex Fly
11-05-08, 11:11
Nothing special will happen, just a normal day. :)

Lara's home
11-05-08, 11:13
I have no idea.

Crystal girl
11-05-08, 11:43
I don't think anything will happen, I don't believe in these things.

Chocolate
11-05-08, 11:47

Cute answer. ^_^

Windows XP 65456654654654565413535354535135432 **** Hapenned edition

Chipmunks take over the world

The :jmp: smile will die

Lara jr Trent Conway Croft: Tomb Raider 85

Zip and Alister will die

I will Finish this list

:vlol:

But yeah, in all honesty I don't think anything will happen. I know it may seem obvious, but people need to remember that the dates, months and years are just an artificial human time tracking system, invented many years after the earth had formed. :p

Gabi
11-05-08, 12:00
Well, it's only about 4 years and 7 months away. Let's all meet up here again that day and report what happened.

Bumio
11-05-08, 12:02
nothing will happen :ton:

Dark Lugia 2
11-05-08, 12:27
Nothing. :p The mayan thingy doesnt even mention the world ending so I dont get how these theories suddenly came up. :confused:

KurtisLonely
11-05-08, 12:39
Mayas were so smart ancient civilization. And that calendar says there was 4 ends of the world and here comes fifth.
I also believe in this fifth world end.. but I don't REALLY think that something will happen at that date... way too early... I think it's just a normal day.

tomblover
11-05-08, 12:40
What will happen? I'll have my collection of Dead Or Alive and TR action figures done for then! xD

Seb_01225
11-05-08, 12:45
i think the universe will line up with a black whole like some scientists have said and the world will spin or something and everything will be destroyed.

i hope nothing drastic happens if anything does!

Capt. Murphy
11-05-08, 14:12
I thought it was 2013 that that Mayan calander ended. :confused: Maybe I heard wrong. :pi:

And wasn't it January? That would be like the 13th month (12=December + 1 month = 13 or January).:cln:

bloodstormaoa
11-05-08, 14:17
I´m still waiting for XF3 to find out ;)

Me too! :jmp:

Benguitar
11-05-08, 14:22

Personally I think Nothing is going to happen.

Because no one on earth knows when the "world ends".

digitizedboy
11-05-08, 14:32
I also believe in this fifth world end.. but I don't REALLY think that something will happen at that date... way too early... I think it's just a normal day.

It's all bull**** and it gets on my nerves to be honest. We could all sit here and predict things that will never happen. Just because it's predicted by an ancient tribe we all sit up and take notice. gosh. Life is fragile anyway, something sooner or later is going to happen, we shouldn't need to know about it.

2kool4u
11-05-08, 14:37

that is so late, where the hell is your spirit :ton:
AS for the topic ill be in my fourth year at college :jmp:

Larapink
11-05-08, 14:45
Nothing to worry about really, they said the same thing at 06/06/2006. Nothing happend so don't worry. :hug:

Rexie
11-05-08, 14:47
Personally I think Nothing is going to happen.

Because no one on earth knows when the "world ends".

I read once in an article it said the worlds end is going to be at 2058
Well, it's only about 4 years and 7 months away. Let's all meet up here again that day and report what happened.

*puts this thread on the favorite list on every browser on her computer*

Anniversary
11-05-08, 15:13
You know, my friends are discussing this quite a lot actually. I for one, forgot all they said! I don't actually believe any of it, but i do recall them saying that the Mayan and Egyptian calendars point to that day as the final day of the Earth. So then they made pyramids in which they could hide when that day comes.

And btw, it is December 12.

But one this IS for sure, there will be chaos. I mean this "rumor", if you will is so popular and widespread that people are bound to start panicking!:p

Legend of Lara
11-05-08, 15:26
Nothing. :p The mayan thingy doesnt even mention the world ending so I dont get how these theories suddenly came up. :confused:

Maybe they just got lazy and couldn't be arsed to continue the calendar. :p

Vertigo
11-05-08, 15:50
I SAID it`s December 12 but Jude told me its 21! XD

Domino
11-05-08, 15:55
I'm really not sure. I have a feeling something bad will happen, ala the start and end of a nucleur war, a black hole swallows the Earth, the core in the center of Earth expands and melts us, Jordan gets her breasts deflated, Crystal Dynamics makes another TR game etc. I think a part of me wants soemthing bad for happen, just so I can test myself and record it for survivors and people of the future if I don't survive. :) I'm just odd.

However, I think it may just be a normal day. 50:50 I think.

Andromeda66
11-05-08, 15:59
I'm hoping its a metaphor for the end of the vile ways in which we live our lives.

In any case, I don't make plans that far ahead ince I can't guarantee the next breath I take.

hey_jude
11-05-08, 16:03

I SAID it`s December 12 but Jude told me its 21! XD

According to italian Wikipedia:

Secondo i maya, ciascun ciclo del Lungo computo corrisponde ad un'era del mondo; il passaggio da un'era all'altra è segnato da catastrofi e distruzioni. Il ciclo attualmente in corso è iniziato il 6 settembre del 3114 a.C. ed è molto vicino al termine: il nuovo ciclo inizierà il 22 dicembre 2012.

It says that each cycle of life coincides with a world era; when this occurs, an episode of catyclism and disaster will happen. The actual cycle began on September, 6th 3114 AD and it's going to end on December, 22nd 2012.

Look here too: http://www.december212012.com/ ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11iCmzGnOI8 ; http://www.dougbrittonbooks.com/onlinebiblestudies-newagespiritualwarfare/mayancalendarprediction-december212012.asp

It seems there are both the 12 and the 22, but the exact one is the 22 (at least EVERY Italian website tells so).

Nannonxyay
11-05-08, 16:03
I'll be 18 and finally able to go out and have some fun. :vlol:

But seriously, I think it'll be a normal day.

Vertigo
11-05-08, 16:05
Jude, I meant you said it`s 22 :o
Ah nevermind. I always thought it`s better don`t know then know about something. Surprises XD

hey_jude
11-05-08, 16:09
Jude, I meant you said it`s 22

... I didn't get it. I said 22, yes.

trXD
11-05-08, 16:09
There has been a lot of controversy and debate over the issue of December 21, 2012 being the "End of the World". People have been basing this on Mayan Prophecies and the fact that the Mayan Calendar ends on the above-mentioned date.

The reality of this is that people have misunderstood and misinterpreted the Mayan Philosophies and the workings of the Mayan Calendar. This is something that has upset a lot of Mayans.

If you speak to the Mayans, as I have done, they will tell you that indeed, 2012 is the end of the world. They will also tell you that this will be the fifth time the world has ended, and that the world ends every 5125 years. In other words, it is not a literal translation. In fact, the Mayans explain this as meaning the end of one era and the beginning of a new era. They do say that during this time there will be major changes in the Earth and its inhabitants, but not an actual destruction of the physical planet.

So, the Question is why every 5125 years?

In order to answer this question, one has to understand the workings of the Mayan Calendar, and the reasoning and science behind it. In fact, you also need to know the Mayan perception of time.

Most people perceive time as a straight line, moving ever forward. Mayans perceive time as a circle, "What has happened will happen". Even though this statement pertains to a Mayan philosophy about events in history, it also has a bigger meaning from which the statement originated. The bigger meaning pertains to cycles in nature and in the universe, as understood in Mayan astronomy. And this perception of time is the first building block for the Mayan Calendar.

The Mayan Calendar is actually three calendars working as one, kind of like three cogged wheels. These calendars are known as the Tzolkin, the Haab, and the Long Count.

The Tzolkin, also known as the Mayans' Religious or Spiritual Calendar, is 260 days long. It measures the Mayan 20 day weeks of which there are 13. (NOTE: The year marked by the Tzolkin is not incorporated in the Mayan date).

The Haab, also known as the Mayans' Civilian or Solar Calendar, is 365 days long. It measures the months of which there are 20 (19 months have 20 days each and 1 month has 5 days in it for a total of 365 days).

These two calendars working together are known as the "Calendar Round" and create a cycle of days that do not repeat for 52 years. Incidentally, the reset of this calendar every 52 years also keeps this portion of the Mayan Date in sync with the seasons on Earth, much in the same way as our "Leap Year", only it is much more accurate.

The Long Count, also known as the "Day Count", is what the Mayans use to mark the days in the 5125 year cycle of the Mayan Calendar. Incidentally, the Mayans can tell you what day it is on the "Long Count", which is impressive due to the fact that there are 1,870,625 days in the "Long Count".

So, with these three calendars working together as one Mayan Calendar, no date on this calendar repeats itself for 5125 years (then the process starts over again).

Now back to the question, "Why 5125 years?"

This is because the Mayan Calendar is not based on the Sun and the Moon. Though it uses the Sun and the Moon in part of its workings, the Mayan Calendar is actually based on the time it takes our Milky Way Galaxy to make a complete orbit around the Pleiades Cluster. It is a mystery as to why they chose this phenomenon as a basis for a calendar or how they even knew about it.

So, will we still be here after 2012?

More than likely, the answer is yes. And we may be witness to some really interesting things in the process.

The last time the Mayan Calendar came to an end was 3113 B.C. This puts it around the time of the "Great Flood", which is spoken of, not only in the Bible, but also in Mayan History and other cultures as well (and mankind is still here).

Is this ending of the Mayan Calendar different from any of the previous endings?

The answer is most definitely, "Yes".

With this ending of the Mayan Calendar, our solar system will be entering the "Galactic Plain" on its journey from the topside of our galaxy to the bottoms side. This phenomenon occurs every 25625 years, which is exactly 5 cycles of the Mayan Calendar. With 2012 being the 5th ending to the Mayan Calendar, you can count back and find that the very first cycle of the Mayan Calendar began with our solar system in the "Galactic Plain" on its journey from the bottom side of the galaxy to the topside.

"What has happened will happen".

Vertigo
11-05-08, 16:11
... I didn't get it. I said 22, yes.

Never mind, I was just dissapointing about dates. So it`s 12.12.2012 or probably 22.12.2012? Fine I will be not that old XD

~*~Chloe~*~
11-05-08, 16:23
Are we all gonna die? :yik:

*runs off and hides*

McGloomy
11-05-08, 16:28

I'll carry my advent calendar around so I can eat the last two pieces of chocolate before the world ends. :)

Larson_1988
11-05-08, 16:30
I'll carry my advent calendar around so I can eat the last two pieces of chocolate before the world ends. :)

Good idea! :)

Rexie
11-05-08, 16:37
Ill eat Lithuanish candy, anbd maybe share with you.Hey! Lets have a TRF party at that day!!

22.12.2012 6am to 6pm In London Train Station
TRFers PARTAAAY!!!

thanatos
11-05-08, 16:37
You know, my friends are discussing this quite a lot actually. I for one, forgot all they said! I don't actually believe any of it, but i do recall them saying that the Mayan and Egyptian calendars point to that day as the final day of the Earth. So then they made pyramids in which they could hide when that day comes.

But one this IS for sure, there will be chaos. I mean this "rumor", if you will is so popular and widespread that people are bound to start panicking!:p

its the 22nd‚ assassins creed told me so!

SpongeBob Lover
11-05-08, 16:41

im with you on that one :tmb:

Vertigo
11-05-08, 16:42
Ill eat Lithuanish candy, anbd maybe share with you.Hey! Lets have a TRF party at that day!!

Oh great. Aldwych station. What about red wine?:D

-DaNnEe..
11-05-08, 16:44
Well it better not be the end of the world. :eek:

hey_jude
11-05-08, 16:44
its the 22nd‚ assassins creed told me so!

Correct, I also noted the date on the walls in the bedroom. :tmb:

SPOILER

And remember an X-Files episode, where aliens invade the Earth on that date (if I remember well........)

EDIT: yes, I remembered well! :) It was the final episode:

In New Mexico, Scully and Mulder arrive at a pueblo where a dying Cigarette Smoking Man is hiding out to survive the colonization — an event that will happen on December 22, 2012. This corresponds to a significant date in the Mayan Calendar — perhaps the end of the world. Outside, Reyes and Doggett face off against Rohrer, who has been sent to kill Mulder and the Smoking Man.

Survival
11-05-08, 16:49
Correct, I also noted the date on the walls in the bedroom. :tmb: And remember fhe final X-Files episode, where aliens invade the Earth on that date (if I remember well........)

Tss tsss spoilers! If Angelus enters this thread in any point and will be spoiled you´ll be the one to blame! :vlol: (Visit The X Files thread for more :D)

Endow
11-05-08, 17:20

Dreamcast?

I would love a new Sega console.

Angelx14
11-05-08, 17:32
Another day will pass?

Benguitar
11-05-08, 19:40
I read once in an article it said the worlds end is going to be at 2058

No offense to you personally but you can't always believe what you read.... :)

ChrisIVX
11-05-08, 20:07
Home will be released, and then the world will promptly end.

da tomb raider!
11-05-08, 20:09
Core Design will come back and start developing Tomb Raider games again! :jmp:

Seriously, though, nothing will happen. It's just a date.

Draco
11-05-08, 23:02
2012 has nothing at all to do with the End of the World.

It's just a passing of the Age of Pisces.

PandaINC
11-05-08, 23:31
I know nothing will happen but....

I really hope something does. Like, a famous building collapsing out of nowhere.

iamlaracroft
12-05-08, 00:00

o.m.g.

how awesome was that movie????
cloverfield is the single most scary movie i have EVER seen.
i love love love loved it!

i totally bought the dvd midnight the day it came out lol;)

iamlaracroft
12-05-08, 00:02

labas ;)

ihatecold17
12-05-08, 00:27
probably nothing. Im not scared for the end of the world though. You cant really avoid it lol...

Hairhelmet12
12-05-08, 00:29

UHH? why i dont know is there supost to be something on that day?

cococomics_pres
12-05-08, 02:10
Hopefully something exciting. I plan on having a huge party the day before.
[ooh my 1,111th post!]

Twilight
12-05-08, 02:20
either nothing or people will realize something as a whole.

cococomics_pres
12-05-08, 02:28
either nothing or people will realize something as a whole.

I'm hoping we realize something as a whole. Seriously, it's about time we all realized something together.

Twilight
12-05-08, 02:30
I'm hoping we realize something as a whole. Seriously, it's about time we all realized something together.

yes. something eye-opening. like, humanity reawakened. its near Christmas, people are usually more humane during that time because its traditional. but hopefully it can stay like that, and not just for a holiday.

JamesFKirk
12-05-08, 07:39
Don't know. It'll probably snow, if climate is still all right at that time. ;)
Well... Oh, nothing. I gave enough 'end of the 12th b'ak'tun cycle and as such, beginning of another pak'tun cycle' speeches here already. :)

Mister_Creazil
12-05-08, 08:45
No one can predict the future, I mean, the end of the world was supposed to happen somewhere at the end of 2000 and 2003 aswell, but did they happen? No.

No human being can predict the future and day of the end of the world, it's impossible. This day will be a normal day and we'll all be dead before the end of the world comes and to be quite honest, I don't even think that will come.

Grenade
12-05-08, 11:42
Hmm why are people going on about 2012? First a friend of mine says it, and now people are going on about it here? What's so special about it? :confused:

Mister_Creazil
12-05-08, 11:59
How exactly has someone predicted this day being the end of the world? I want to laugh in their face and tell them they need help. I mean, 2000, 2003 and 06/06/06 too.

Nothing happens. Normal day.

hey_jude
12-05-08, 13:04
How exactly has someone predicted this day being the end of the world? I want to laugh in their face and tell them they need help. I mean, 2000, 2003 and 06/06/06 too.

Nothing happens. Normal day.

If we're gonna horribly die, I will phone you and say "I told you!". :D

Encore
12-05-08, 13:09
How exactly has someone predicted this day being the end of the world?

I am pretty confused here actually, cause according to Wikipedia there's no record at all of the Mayans themselves saying it'll be the end of the world. So where the hell did this urban legend come from??

Vertigo
12-05-08, 13:15
I am pretty confused here actually, cause according to Wikipedia there's no record at all of the Mayans themselves saying it'll be the end of the world. So where the hell did this urban legend come from??

My answer: I`ve read one sci-fi magazine in 2005 and they said it`s the 4th end of the world. So I thought it`s true. But some guys (and you) told me it`s just new era. But I think it`s gonna be at least some catoclysme (Sp?)

jjbennett
12-05-08, 13:23
I reckon that i will be sitting playing COD 6, drinking beer and with Carmen Electra begging me to go to the bedroom.

Vertigo
12-05-08, 13:35
^^I`m afraid she will be too old :o

jjbennett
12-05-08, 13:37
She'll only be 40! And frankly, Liz Hurley is incredible and she's 42 :o

Vertigo
12-05-08, 13:40
She'll only be 40! And frankly, Liz Hurley is incredible and she's 42 :o

I`m agree. For me Debbie Harry looks amazing still and shes in middle 60s!

jjbennett
12-05-08, 13:53
Hmm, i think that a 20 year gap is acceptable, that would be like my gran though.

EDIT - ooo one more post :D

Mister_Creazil
12-05-08, 18:55
If we're gonna horribly die, I will phone you and say "I told you!". :D

Aha! Phone if you can. :P

And to the other person, the Mayans were around. They were some civilization and they had an amazing knowledge about the stars and shizz like that.

According to Wikipedia and other sites I've seen, on this day "21st December, 2012" is supposed to be when the sun sits in one unusual space in time with the galaxy or it has some connection to the milky way thing, and then they came up with two solutions of what will happen.

The first was that the sun will open up a gate when in this position it will wipe away all hatred and fear, leaving a peaceful world, apparently. But this I don't understand, how can you forget how to hate if we already have hated? What if someone killed your mother on the 20th of December, the day before, and you walked up to him the day after shaking his hand, hugging him?? Impossible.

Anyway, the other theory is, yeah, the end of the world theory.

kooky
12-05-08, 21:53
I also have another thing to say, the prediction from the Mayans on 12-22-2012 was the beginning of a New Age cycle, Pieces changing to Ares the Ram again, they did not predict the end of the World, no one knows when the world will end, it could end the next day, next few hours, next week, next month, next year, next century, but no one truly knows when it will end. Christians believe that Christ will return this day to banish all wicked & Evil off the face of the earth & save the good people.

No offense to you personally but you can't always believe what you read.... :)

Exactly Lol!

Christi
12-05-08, 22:02
There was one thing...about the whole SUPER VALCANO under yellowstone national park. I have so much information on it. All of yellowstone national park is a resting valcano that erupts once every 600,000 years. Maybe that day will be the day it erupts. More info-PM me...

Mad Tony
12-05-08, 22:05
There was one thing...about the whole SUPER VALCANO under yellowstone national park. I have so much information on it. All of yellowstone national park is a resting valcano that erupts once every 600,000 years. Maybe that day will be the day it erupts. More info-PM me...I watched the documentary about it, and we're overdue by something like 40,000 years, but scientists say it's highly unlikely that it will erupt anytime soon.

Christi
12-05-08, 22:11
I thought they said they were unsure. Don't believe anything that people say to the public because they are all not tellng the truth!!

Mad Tony
12-05-08, 22:16
I thought they said they were unsure. Don't believe anything that people say to the public because they are all not tellng the truth!!No, they said it's very unlikely. Why would they lie? They're geologists (I think). They study that thing and know more about it than you and I do.

Christi
12-05-08, 22:18
Yeah...but still. You can't trust anybody untill you get to know what kindof person they are. I can tell what kind of person anyone is purty fast.:p

Mad Tony
12-05-08, 22:21
Yeah...but still. You can't trust anybody untill you get to know what kindof person they are. I can tell what kind of person anyone is purty fast.:pBut you don't even know these people. But the likelihood is, they're not lying. As I said, they're just geologists and they know way more about it than we do.

Sir Croft
12-05-08, 23:31

Yeah... and 06/06/2006

Mister_Creazil
13-05-08, 08:44
With all this drama about this day, I wonder what happened in the year 666 AD. Hmmmmmm, it's a big wonder. Even the year 666 BC.

Don't you ever wonder?

godmodder
13-05-08, 09:26
I remember this day! It's the release date for Duke Nukem Forever :D

Drone
13-05-08, 09:27
I remember this day! It's the release date for Duke Nukem Forever :D

hail to the king, baby. Come, get some!

Rivendell
13-05-08, 09:29
Yeah... and 06/06/2006

Ahh, that fateful day TR:AE was discovered. :( :)

McGloomy
13-05-08, 09:51
Let's see what they discover 2012... An unreleased AoD 2 in alpha stage? (OK, now I'm getting cruel. :mis:)

matrix54
13-05-08, 12:01
NOTHING!!

Mister_Creazil
13-05-08, 12:09
NOTHING!!

Best answer I've seen so far. Infact, no, it's not nothing, 'cos we will wake up and fall back to sleep on the night. :) So we'll live a normal day.

Anleva
13-05-08, 17:44
22 december... Oh dear thats my b-day

Mister_Creazil
13-05-08, 17:50
22 december... Oh dear thats my b-day

No, the date the Mayans said was the 21st December.

Vertigo
13-05-08, 18:11
No, the date the Mayans said was the 21st December.

I`m confused. 22,21,12... OK there will be Apocalypse all year!!!! XD Remember the song I wish there was Christmas every day?:p

Mister_Creazil
13-05-08, 18:24
What's that song got to do with it? Lmfao!

Vertigo
13-05-08, 18:30
What's that song got to do with it? Lmfao!

lol I mean I`m gonna be a pop-star in 2012 with my single "I wish there was the end of the world every day!" XD

Christi
13-05-08, 19:14
DEAR LORD THE DATE WAS month-12 day-21 year-2012...Lol...so much on this useless topic and you don't even know the date correctly...:vlol:

Minty Mouth
13-05-08, 19:22
Is this supposed to be the end of the world? Tell me, what evidence do we have?

Sir Croft
13-05-08, 19:35

lol Didn't know it was that day :p
As much as I thought Core was doing a bad job, I'd love to try that one. Unfortunately, it's not likely to happen.

AODdigger
13-05-08, 19:44
Satan, this is such a meaningless thread.. Sorry for being so direct, but NOTHING WILL HAPPEN ON THAT DAY. People have tried to predict the End of Days (wooo) since the dawn of time. This is just another meaningless date and nothing will happen on it. End of. :)

Mister_Creazil
13-05-08, 21:52
Is this supposed to be the end of the world? Tell me, what evidence do we have?

Heyy Jake. The evidence is basically the knowledge the Mayans had I suppose? I mean, apparently everything else they had on their calender had come true, they were real good astronomers and stuff.

remote91
13-05-08, 22:04
Heyy Jake. The evidence is basically the knowledge the Mayans had I suppose? I mean, apparently everything else they had on their calender had come true, they were real good astronomers and stuff.
Maybe it doesnt mean the end of the world then? Does it actually say 22/12/2012 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=2704013#post2704013) = End of the world?

Mister_Creazil
13-05-08, 22:25
Well, some people say it'll bring peace to the earth, the sun will sit in a certain spot in the universe and open a gateway absorbing all hatred and fear. That's the other solution the Mayans came up with.

remote91
13-05-08, 22:31
Well, some people say it'll bring peace to the earth, the sun will sit in a certain spot in the universe and open a gateway absorbing all hatred and fear. That's the other solution the Mayans came up with.
Death or world peace?

Those Mayan's, eh? One extreme to the other.

lisa_croft
13-05-08, 22:35
Tbh if it's the end of the world why talk about it? if you really beleive it will be the end then go do things you have always wanted to do, y'know?

But i don't think it will end....
i have heard its going to be on the 25th, 22nd, 12th, 27th.......rumour much?

all i think is....if it happens it happens........bring it on.

Maybe there is going to be another ice age? or we will all burn to death because of the global warming?

idc tbh!

croft94
13-05-08, 22:37
I'm still planning on how i'm i gonna spend my last young hours

Vertigo
13-05-08, 22:37
I'm still planning on how i'm i gonna spend my last young hours

Indeed (really!)

lisa_croft
13-05-08, 22:42
Indeed (really!)

and if the end doesnt happen, you wasted your time planning it.

Vertigo
13-05-08, 22:47
and if the end doesnt happen, you wasted your time planning it.

Why? Live like your next day is your last!

kooky
13-05-08, 22:55

Exactly, it is just the beginning of a new age, Pieces changing to Ares the Ram again. (it has happened many times in the past.), not the end of time. ;)

Dominic. [:
13-05-08, 22:58
It's a new beginning. Although, what about those facts and theories about Nibiru and Planet X? Now that scares me. :p

Vertigo
13-05-08, 22:59
It will be funny!!!

If it will be "another day in our lives". Optimists to pessimists: Ha-ha! You`re sad morons!!! We`re alive still huh?

If it will be the end of the world (of course NOT total end coz we`ll be still alive; just fallen meteors or something...). Pessimists to optimists: Well we TOLD YOU! And now we`re gonna die coz YOU haven`t underground stuff, rockets for meteorit`s destroying etc. Well bye!

kooky
13-05-08, 23:06
It's a new beginning. Although, what about those facts and theories about Nibiru and Planet X? Now that scares me. :p

Oh, enough of this pathetic stuff, just like Werner Von Croy said "Oh ancient Hocus Pocus".

Dominic. [:
13-05-08, 23:22
Oh, enough of this pathetic stuff, just like Werner Von Croy said "Oh ancient Hocus Pocus".

I'm just contributing to the thread's focus and point.
It's not pathetic if it has a reason. :)

Vickkyyy
13-05-08, 23:40
i'm pretty sure i read the 26th of december.
boxing day,
the day after jesus's birth.. ( if your catholic )
who knows man, im not too worried..
i'm thinking its a myth

Legend of Lara
13-05-08, 23:43
Nothing more than a theory. A very very unlikely theory.

Nenya awakens
14-05-08, 05:48
i'm pretty sure i would have worked the night before, so i'm sure i'll be in bed..

if the world does end i'll sleep through it :)

ECB
12-06-08, 04:41
I don't want the world to end, but is it just me, or does an alien invasion sound good?

just*raidin*tomb
12-06-08, 04:48
I've theories that a comet will come extremely close to Earth in the near future and possible hit Earth a few years later.

rowanlim
12-06-08, 04:52
I wonder if the end of the world in this sense means a total wipeout or the beginning of extinction? Because I prefer the former :)

Tihocan9
12-06-08, 05:03
I don't want the world to end, but is it just me, or does an alien invasion sound good?

Only if they are friendly :o

Honestly I don't know what to think about, I don't want the world to end but at the same time they seemed to know what they were talking about, and they were pretty smart. I guess we will all just wait and see.

I've theories that a comet will come extremely close to Earth in the near future and possible hit Earth a few years later.

I heard that as well in 2029 there is supposed to be a fly by of a comet/meteor then 10 years later it is supposed to hit with devastating effects but I also heard there was a miscalculation and it isn't going to hit us but I am not sure

Archetype
12-06-08, 10:44
Will probably be like any other day.. :/

people said that the 6/6/06 would be the end of the world but.. 2 years later.. we're still here.

Legend of Lara
12-06-08, 11:00
Will probably be like any other day.. :/

people said that the 6/6/06 would be the end of the world but.. 2 years later.. we're still here.

Don't forget the Y2K panic in 1999. DID all the computers in the world fail? :rolleyes:

Naomichi
12-06-08, 11:02
Nothing will happen that's even slightly out of the ordinary.

Rexie
12-06-08, 11:51
labas ;)

sveikas!! nezinojau kat tu buvai is Lietuvos...

(HEy! Din't knew you was from Lithuania)

Don't forget the Y2K panic in 1999. DID all the computers in the world fail?

mine did.. the screen exploded.

Draco
12-06-08, 15:28
Don't forget the Y2K panic in 1999. DID all the computers in the world fail? :rolleyes:

While it was blown out of proportion to grab money from the consumers, it was an actual problem that existed.

Larapink
12-06-08, 15:31
Nothing will happen, a day like any other day that is all.

interstellardave
12-06-08, 15:37
While it was blown out of proportion to grab money from the consumers, it was an actual problem that existed.

Very true, and let's also remember that "nothing happened" because a lot of people worked hard to make it that way. If everyone had just been cynical about it and not taken it seriously there would have been problems...

xxitsxnadyaxx
09-07-08, 08:10
ok seriously... this is my answer to the question
I think...
that the mayans just got hella tired of counting and writing the dates so they just said "screw this" and stopped.

stranger1992
09-07-08, 09:17
:vlol:

just croft
09-07-08, 10:56
that the mayans just got hella tired of counting and writing the dates so they just said "screw this" and stopped.

Most probably. Why make the calendar for 1000 years later?

Anyway it's as probable the earth ends on that days as it is that it ends today.

Legend 4ever
09-07-08, 10:57
Dunno, don't care...I live for today...

dcw123
09-07-08, 11:24
Doubt its gonna happen... although I heard of a comet or something that suppost to hit earth soon LOL?:o
If you beleieve everything like that, its no good....
Diet Coke gives you cancer, but ya know.. I still drink it LOL:p

Christi
09-07-08, 11:38
ok seriously... this is my answer to the question
I think...

OMG THATS SO TRUE...It made me giggle :p :vlol:...But really I think that might be true :whi:

khFREAK
09-07-08, 11:59
forgive me.. but is this date supposedly the end of the world? or am I getting confused?

dcw123
09-07-08, 12:02
forgive me.. but is this date supposedly the end of the world? or am I getting confused?

Yeah, its 'suppost' to be the apocalypse..:p

khFREAK
09-07-08, 12:05
oh! well.. If it happens. We won't know or live to tell the tale. I say, we live life to the full till then and if we live till the 23rd...

we can go tell them they got it wrong :D

Apofiss
09-07-08, 12:15

The world is not going to end on that date. Here's an article about what the Mayans really think about it.

2012: The End of the World, but not Literally
An article by John W. Reeves III

There has been a lot of controversy and debate over the issue of December 21, 2012 being the "End of the World". People have been basing this on Mayan Prophecies and the fact that the Mayan Calendar ends on the above-mentioned date.

The reality of this is that people have misunderstood and misinterpreted the Mayan Philosophies and the workings of the Mayan Calendar. This is something that has upset a lot of Mayans.

If you speak to the Mayans, as I have done, they will tell you that indeed, 2012 is the end of the world. They will also tell you that this will be the fifth time the world has ended, and that the world ends every 5125 years. In other words, it is not a literal translation. In fact, the Mayans explain this as meaning the end of one era and the beginning of a new era. They do say that during this time there will be major changes in the Earth and its inhabitants, but not an actual destruction of the physical planet.

So, the Question is why every 5125 years?

In order to answer this question, one has to understand the workings of the Mayan Calendar, and the reasoning and science behind it. In fact, you also need to know the Mayan perception of time.

Most people perceive time as a straight line, moving ever forward. Mayans perceive time as a circle, "What has happened will happen". Even though this statement pertains to a Mayan philosophy about events in history, it also has a bigger meaning from which the statement originated. The bigger meaning pertains to cycles in nature and in the universe, as understood in Mayan astronomy. And this perception of time is the first building block for the Mayan Calendar.

The Mayan Calendar is actually three calendars working as one, kind of like three cogged wheels. These calendars are known as the Tzolkin, the Haab, and the Long Count.

The Tzolkin, also known as the Mayans' Religious or Spiritual Calendar, is 260 days long. It measures the Mayan 20 day weeks of which there are 13. (NOTE: The year marked by the Tzolkin is not incorporated in the Mayan date).

The Haab, also known as the Mayans' Civilian or Solar Calendar, is 365 days long. It measures the months of which there are 20 (19 months have 20 days each and 1 month has 5 days in it for a total of 365 days).

These two calendars working together are known as the "Calendar Round" and create a cycle of days that do not repeat for 52 years. Incidentally, the reset of this calendar every 52 years also keeps this portion of the Mayan Date in sync with the seasons on Earth, much in the same way as our "Leap Year", only it is much more accurate.

The Long Count, also known as the "Day Count", is what the Mayans use to mark the days in the 5125 year cycle of the Mayan Calendar. Incidentally, the Mayans can tell you what day it is on the "Long Count", which is impressive due to the fact that there are 1,870,625 days in the "Long Count".

So, with these three calendars working together as one Mayan Calendar, no date on this calendar repeats itself for 5125 years (then the process starts over again).

Now back to the question, "Why 5125 years?"

This is because the Mayan Calendar is not based on the Sun and the Moon. Though it uses the Sun and the Moon in part of its workings, the Mayan Calendar is actually based on the time it takes our Milky Way Galaxy to make a complete orbit around the Pleiades Cluster. It is a mystery as to why they chose this phenomenon as a basis for a calendar or how they even knew about it.

So, will we still be here after 2012?

More than likely, the answer is yes. And we may be witness to some really interesting things in the process.

The last time the Mayan Calendar came to an end was 3113 B.C. This puts it around the time of the "Great Flood", which is spoken of, not only in the Bible, but also in Mayan History and other cultures as well (and mankind is still here).

Is this ending of the Mayan Calendar different from any of the previous endings?

The answer is most definitely, "Yes".

With this ending of the Mayan Calendar, our solar system will be entering the "Galactic Plain" on its journey from the topside of our galaxy to the bottoms side. This phenomenon occurs every 25625 years, which is exactly 5 cycles of the Mayan Calendar. With 2012 being the 5th ending to the Mayan Calendar, you can count back and find that the very first cycle of the Mayan Calendar began with our solar system in the "Galactic Plain" on its journey from the bottom side of the galaxy to the topside.

"What has happened will happen".

Draco
09-07-08, 14:56

No, it has nothing at all to do with the apocalypse, ragnarok, etc..

robm_2007
09-07-08, 16:58

well, i dont beileive that the world will end on that day. but no one knows except God.

Indiana Croft
09-07-08, 17:45
The worst that I think will happen is that oreos get recalled for salmenella contamination :vlol:

xxitsxnadyaxx
09-07-08, 17:55
Most probably. Why make the calendar for 1000 years later?

Anyway it's as probable the earth ends on that days as it is that it ends today.

seriously O_O

OMG THATS SO TRUE...It made me giggle :p :vlol:...But really I think that might be true :whi:

haha yeah i bet nothing's gonna happen :]

just croft
09-07-08, 21:45
Thanks for the article Apofiss. Some of my belives are in there (history repeats it self, always) but I'd never put it in such a way. And now when I look at it again All I can think is of the worlds biggest problems today.

Millennium Development Goals :
Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
Achieve universal primary education
Promote gender equality and empower women
Reduce child mortality
Improve maternal health
Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
Ensure environmental sustainability
Develop a global partnership for development

Call me crazy, blind, newly-mayan, what ever but afterall aren't we giving so much attention to the subject?

seriously O_O

Would you?

Lara Croft!
09-07-08, 22:00
Hopefully I'll be still alive
Hopefully there will be TR games
Hopefully TRF will be alive and kicking

If all that works, we'll discuss it then...:D

takamotosan
09-07-08, 22:45
i doubt anything will happen.

i mean, if the end of the world was coming, wouldn't there be signs?

findme
09-07-08, 22:46
Not another 2012 thread.

But, I guess it's just gonna be a normal day, with me dreading over christmas shopping.

Rachel Croft
09-07-08, 23:32
No, it is the 22. :)

NO, its the 12th, AND NOTHING WILL FREAKIN' HAPPEN. Remember in 2000 when everybody said the computers were going to go crazy and kill us all? Guess what, that never happened. I'm so sick of people bringing this crap up. No offense to you.

Angelus
09-07-08, 23:36
Not another 2012 thread.

But, I guess it's just gonna be a normal day, with me dreading over christmas shopping.

Oh God... I'll be 21. :eek: Guess I'll have no excuse not to buy anyone presents then. :D

Draco
09-07-08, 23:43
NO, its the 12th, AND NOTHING WILL FREAKIN' HAPPEN. Remember in 2000 when everybody said the computers were going to go crazy and kill us all? Guess what, that never happened. I'm so sick of people bringing this crap up. No offense to you.

The whole y2k thing has absolutely nothing in common with the Mayan calendar.

The y2k problem was real however, it was only blown out of proportion to make a buck off the fix. It was never going to actually happen.

xxitsxnadyaxx
09-07-08, 23:48
Would you?

would i what??

Immortalis08
09-07-08, 23:53
There are several speculations that span this world as to the meaning of that day.

1. Reverse Rotation
- In other words, the Earth's axis will begin to spin in the opposite direction, quite possibly resulting in violent and drastic climate changes. Possible destruction, but not necessarily the end of our species.

2. Destruction
-Quite possibly the most popular. Basically, the apocalypse. However, according to raging enthusiasts, if all the mythical crystal skulls left behind, and scattered by the Mayans are reunited, it may reverse the effects of the oncoming apocalypse. Some have already been retrieved. So they are not that mythical, but in fact, real.

3. Rare astrological alignment
-It is speculated that the earth and solar system will directly align with the center of the galaxy...I do not remember what that meaning may be.

4. The Beginning
-Marks the day that humanity will enter the dawn of a new era. It may not be an apocalypse, it may be the end of the world we know, but the beginning of a new one as well. This idea may be correlated with the drastic change brought upon by a reverse rotation (if it were to occur)

5. No Space Left
-The Mayans simply ran out of space...or died before completing it.

I hope this was helpful...:wve: I for one am not worried.

Aphrodite22
09-07-08, 23:59
And in 06/06/2006 ("666").

noono.. cuz thats gonna be in 06/06/6666

but i think that should had happened in 06/06/666

:)

Draco
10-07-08, 13:28
1. Reverse Rotation
- In other words, the Earth's axis will begin to spin in the opposite direction, quite possibly resulting in violent and drastic climate changes. Possible destruction, but not necessarily the end of our species.

This will not happen by natural means. If it were to happen, everything on Earth would be thrown into space at speeds none of it would survive. The entire planet would fracture and possibly explode.

2. Destruction
-Quite possibly the most popular. Basically, the apocalypse. However, according to raging enthusiasts, if all the mythical crystal skulls left behind, and scattered by the Mayans are reunited, it may reverse the effects of the oncoming apocalypse. Some have already been retrieved. So they are not that mythical, but in fact, real.

The only destruction Earth has to worry about is self inflicted, that of a major impact event, the death of Sol, or an attack by an outside force of artificial means. None of which is even a tiny bit likely.

3. Rare astrological alignment
-It is speculated that the earth and solar system will directly align with the center of the galaxy...I do not remember what that meaning may be.

When are we not aligned with the center of the galaxy?

4. The Beginning
-Marks the day that humanity will enter the dawn of a new era. It may not be an apocalypse, it may be the end of the world we know, but the beginning of a new one as well. This idea may be correlated with the drastic change brought upon by a reverse rotation (if it were to occur)

That is how the Mayan calendar works chief, every 5125 years our planet enters a new Age. The Age of Pisces ends in 2012.

5. No Space Left
-The Mayans simply ran out of space...or died before completing it.

I don't know how you can come to the conclusion a circular calendar could be unfinished when it has already gone through several revolutions.

I hope this was helpful...:wve: I for one am not worried.

I am only worried about what my fellow idiot humans will do. With any luck natural selection will prevail and I'll live in a better world.

Immortalis08
10-07-08, 20:54
This will not happen by natural means. If it were to happen, everything on Earth would be thrown into space at speeds none of it would survive. The entire planet would fracture and possibly explode.

The only destruction Earth has to worry about is self inflicted, that of a major impact event, the death of Sol, or an attack by an outside force of artificial means. None of which is even a tiny bit likely.

When are we not aligned with the center of the galaxy?

That is how the Mayan calendar works chief, every 5125 years our planet enters a new Age. The Age of Pisces ends in 2012.

I don't know how you can come to the conclusion a circular calendar could be unfinished when it has already gone through several revolutions.

I am only worried about what my fellow idiot humans will do. With any luck natural selection will prevail and I'll live in a better world.

Good to know. :wve: The majority of the info i had was based on a documentary on the history channel. I am merely stating several speculations that exist so these aren't my theories. And no the solar system isn't always PERFECTLY aligned with the center of the galaxy. As far as im concerned there it is believed that there will be a unique planetary alignment on that day. It is also stated that there is an incomplete Description left behind on the Tortuguero Monument that records that date specifically. Whether or not the calendar is finished, the information regarding that point in time is left unfinished.

I do agree that any fate that will befall this world will mostly likely be due to human interaction. And with any luck fellow idiot human beings will drag everyone down with them. Its just the way it works. ;)

just croft
10-07-08, 20:58
would i what??

make a calender for 1000 years later? It's not just the legend telling the story... the mayan calendar ends in 2012... they say it's connected to it but for real why make a calendar for so many years later?

Cochrane
10-07-08, 20:59
What annoys me is that so far, I haven't seen a single reason for stuff happening at that date. Why would the world reverse it's rotation or do, well, just about anything out of the ordinary then? "Because dead Mayans said it had to" is anything but a scientific theory.

Immortalis08
10-07-08, 21:00
why make a calendar for so many years later?

...maybe they thought the info might help their empire in the future (they probably envisioned their empire lasting for hundreds, if not thousands of years)...although its quite ironic...the mayan culture has been severely reduced.:whi:

Cochrane- i don't remember what was the scientific explanation to the sudden reverse rotation. Honestly i don't believe anything will happen and as of yet there are no particular signs as to what will happen on that date. I just happen to be very interested in supposed doomsday topics. :D

People just fear that day because supposedly Mayans have predicted many major world events through their calendar. But its all just a matter of whether you want to believe or not. I just find this stuff fascinating.

dox online
10-07-08, 21:13
Core will have another sneaky attempt to create another tomb raider game and will not fail this time!

Catapharact
10-07-08, 21:20
Has everyone forgotten about the incident involving the Solar Temple?

If you have, let me refresh you memories:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple#Mass_murders_and_suicide s:_leaving_the_planet.2C_destination:_Sirius

dox online
10-07-08, 21:27

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple#Mass_murders_and_suicide s:_leaving_the_planet.2C_destination:_Sirius
What does it have to do with this thread?

Immortalis08
10-07-08, 21:31
What does it have to do with this thread?

:vlol: Yeah im slightly confused...what does a circle of cult activists and suicides have to do with the mayan calendar. Was it predicted?

Catapharact
10-07-08, 21:32
Well, to give you the jist of it all, some of the members of the Order of the Solar Temple make their own cooky connections as to when the supposable rapture would happen. So in order to "save themselves," they performed ritual suicide to re-enact the Last Supper of Jesus Christ and his Apostles. They claimed they had all the right resources to back their predictions.

Well... I see no rapture now do I. It was a terrible tragedy.

To state in a delicate way: If you try to look hard enough for connections, you will find them. That doesn't mean however that they are accurate in any way.

Immortalis08
10-07-08, 21:39
To state in a delicate way: If you try to look hard enough to connections, you will find them. That doesn't mean however that they are accurate in any way.

I absolutely agree with that. :tmb:

And now i get your point. People are just setting themselves up to be scared. They may commit regrettable actions when in which the end clearly did not justify the means. The only thing I predict is that enthusiasts and dedicated believers may begin rioting, as with every cliche apocalyptic prophesy. Similar to that old simpsons episode.

2kool4u
10-07-08, 23:24

Do you think those people will do the same thing? Or was the cult leader just looking for money. It says there that they donated over 1 million dollars to the leader. The guy knew what he was doing. He brainwashed them into giving him the money and made them kill themselves so they wouldnt ask questions.

Catapharact
10-07-08, 23:39
What I think is that paranoia and despiration brings out the worse in everyone... and I do mean EVERYONE. The Mayans could possibly be talking in metaphores for all we know and the date could be an indication of a set Mayan cyclic time phase and reaching that point could be marked as the "end of a great journey."

Remember that the Mayans also believed in blood sacrifices to satisfy their gods and to call upon the vision serpent. Any volunteers?