PDA

View Full Version : Baby Names

Lonely Istari
11-05-08, 19:06
:wve: Hey guys! I was just having a discussion with my sister about the names we like for our future babies if we have them some day. And I was wondering if there were any really cool original names out there? What are some of your favorite baby names? What would your top choices be for boys and girls' names? Or if you already have kids, what are their names? (First names only if you prefer... not trying to stalk anyone here :p) Or even names of characters from books/stories you have read or written or movies that you like?

I'll tell you my favorites:

For a boy - Declan
For a girl - Raelyn

I'm not sure what middle names would go best those yet.

What are your baby names?? :D

PoisonParadise
11-05-08, 19:12
Jay for a girl or boy :)
No middle names, they're useless imo :ton:

RockSteady101
11-05-08, 19:18
I dunno about a Boy name, but Dylan for a Girl, IMO, is the shiz-niz :)

Vertigo
11-05-08, 19:22
I dunno about a Boy name, but Dylan for a Girl, IMO, is the shiz-niz :)

:yik: All the same!!! I don`t wanna have kids but my next pet will be DYLAN no doubt!!

Lonely Istari
11-05-08, 19:25
Dylan... hmm. I really like that name too! And that is different spelling for it. I've always seen it spelled 'Dillon' - or maybe that's just a last name spelling. But anyway, I like!

remote91
11-05-08, 19:33
Ethan for a boy and maybe Isobelle for a girl.

TR 4 LIFE
11-05-08, 19:42
oh! If I had a girl, I would name it MAYA....to me, that's the coolest name!:D For a boy, I would name it after me, but in another language.........like in hawaiian, AKONI! ;)

Voni
11-05-08, 20:09
I'm sad, I have it all figured out already. Edward Jake for a boy, and Madeline Susan for a girl.

Lonely Istari
11-05-08, 20:10
Great names Voni! I love Madeline! :tmb:

Voni
11-05-08, 20:12
Great names Voni! I love Madeline! :tmb:

Thanks! Actually, Madeline's the only name I didn't pull out of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King :cln:

Trigger_happy
11-05-08, 20:17

How can you say that! I've got three...:D

Anyway, I don't really know. For a girl, something short and sweet, like Elle, Eliza or Tru: You can tell I watch too much tv.

Lonely Istari
11-05-08, 20:25
^ I like Elle.. that's very pretty :tmb: And close to my middle name ;)

Rivendell
11-05-08, 20:28
Mine would always be Dylan / Brandon for a boy, or Louise / Angharad for a girl. :wve:

Voni
11-05-08, 20:30
Mine would always be Dylan / Brandon for a boy, or Louise / Angharad for a girl. :wve:

Where does Angharad come from? It's a pretty name.

Rivendell
11-05-08, 20:37
It's Welsh, it's believed to mean 'Loving'. :tmb:

da tomb raider!
11-05-08, 20:40
Kurtis for a boy, and Lara for a girl. :D

Angel666
11-05-08, 20:52
I love the names Eileen and Alison for girls. I like Jack and Adrien for boys. Sascha too.

Quasimodo
11-05-08, 21:12
Noah for a boy, Donna for a girl

Indiana Croft
11-05-08, 23:20
For a boy Aiden
For a girl, i'm torn between Jude and Quinn

Legend of Lara
11-05-08, 23:29
For a boy: Vincent
For a girl: Karin
Yeah, I know. :tea:

Camera Obscura
11-05-08, 23:36
This thread is pure gold! Now I can get some names for my OCs I'm writing about. :D

As for names I would probably go with

Boy
Nicholas
Christian
Valentino
Fabio
Nolan

Girl
Luciana
Lola (or Lollita)
Génesis (Has a nice sound to it if you say it in spanish)

Is it strange to be thinking about having kids at such a young age? :p

Roddy100
11-05-08, 23:51
For a girl, I love Isabella which is obviously why I gave my daughter that name :)

For a boy, I quite like Elliott.

ihatecold17
12-05-08, 00:11
Boy
Christian

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THAT NAME. Its actually my name lol.

But I love girl names. I love Cadelaria, Elyse, Adrianne, Britney, Lisa, Tawny, Lara (not just because of Tomb Raider), and a lot of others. Ive had a Babynames.com account since i was like 12 because I love names. America's Next Top Model has a lot of really interesting and unique names. Like Xiomara, Jenascia, Yoanna, Yaya, Lluvy, Tatiana, Naima, Kahlen, kyle (for a girl), Furonda, Melrose (melissa rose), Caridee, Christian (totally should have won cycle 7.), Jaslene, Dionne, Jael, Saliesha, Katarzyna, Anya and fatima. Those are all i can think of out of the interesting names from there, and I love those names. I know a lot of them are common in places that arent America, Like Katarzyna.

Lonely Istari
12-05-08, 00:13
Is it strange to be thinking about having kids at such a young age? :p

How old are you CO? I'm sure its no matter, because I've been thinking about the names for my children since I was probably 12 years old. :p

For a boy, I quite like Elliott.

Great name! :tmb:

But I love girl names. I love Cadelaria, Elyse, Adrianne, Britney, Lisa, Tawny, Lara (not just because of Tomb Raider), and a lot of others. Ive had a Babynames.com account since i was like 12 because I love names. America's Next Top Model has a lot of really interesting and unique names. Like Xiomara, Jenascia, Yoanna, Yaya, Lluvy, Tatiana, Naima, Kahlen, kyle (for a girl), Furonda, Melrose (melissa rose), Caridee, Christian (totally should have won cycle 7.), Jaslene, Dionne, Jael, Saliesha, Katarzyna, Anya and fatima. Those are all i can think of out of the interesting names from there, and I love those names. I know a lot of them are common in places that arent America, Like Katarzyna.

I love the Top Model names! :tmb: I love that show! :jmp: I think Katarzyna is my favorite name from that show!

Where does Cadelaria come from? I really like that name a lot! I don't think I've ever heard it before but it's gorgeous!!

Camera Obscura
12-05-08, 00:18
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THAT NAME. Its actually my name lol.

Yeah, I love that name so much it'll probably be my first choice. :D

How old are you CO? I'm sure its no matter, because I've been thinking about the names for my children since I was probably 12 years old. :p

lol I'll be turning 18 in November. So I suppose I'm not the only one who thinks of baby names at a young age.

Bowie
12-05-08, 00:24
Boy: Reef, Topher, Liam, Ethan, Zaq

Girl: Diamond, Celeste, Sophia, Jenna, Hazel

ihatecold17
12-05-08, 00:24
Yeah, I love that name so much it'll probably be my first choice. :D

Im honored.

I had a teacher once who told me he only remembered my name because it was his sons name, and he was a cool teacher and he liked me and such, so i told people he named him after me, even though the kid was born before i met him lol.

TO be honest though, i hate the name lol

Lonely Istari
12-05-08, 00:28
TO be honest though, i hate the name lol

It's funny. Most people don't really like their own name. "My name is Mary." <-- That just sounds so boring! :p

^that is my name in case you were wondering... not just picking a random name to make fun of :p

Boardachick
12-05-08, 00:32
Girl- Athena, Jade, Sapphira, Milla and Natalie. Khadija is a cool one too, (pronounced ka DEE sha)
Boy- James or Jeffery, I also like Judas, though most hate that name for obvious reasons.

Camera Obscura
12-05-08, 00:35
It's funny. Most people don't really like their own name.

I actually like my name.

Mine is Wilkins. It's unique because I've never met anyone or heard of anyone with a first name Wilkins. It's better than being just another common Bob, Paul, or Justin. (No offense to those with said names).

The only downside is that I constantly get the "Wilkins? I asked for your first name." "THAT IS MY FIRST NAME!!!" :hea:

ihatecold17
12-05-08, 00:36
I wish i had a cool name though. I dont really like any boy names though.

Camera Obscura
12-05-08, 00:37
^^^ So you'd rather be named Jessica or Mary? :whi:

ihatecold17
12-05-08, 00:53
lol, no its just i dont like boys names. I would rather have a boy name, obviously, but I find girl names so much more interesting.

Sweets
12-05-08, 01:45
Girl- Jeisa, Isabell, Ali, Natasha
Boy- Arron, James(Jimmy for short), Hunter, Joesph

Lonely Istari
12-05-08, 02:00
Girl- Jeisa, Isabell, Ali, Natasha
Boy- Arron, James(Jimmy for short), Hunter, Joesph

Jeisa - that's really pretty!

I have always loved the names Hunter and Joseph as well. But I figured it would be kind of funny to name my future son Joseph... since my name is Mary. lol I guess it would be more wierd to name him Jesus.... :p

I read a book once called "Lost Yesterday" and the guy's name was Hunter Pierce. I've loved the name ever since then. There's just something masculine and sexy about it. :D

Twilight
12-05-08, 02:06
i like names that are exotic and sound nice.
usually hard to pronounce :D

although, i dont like kids, i dont want kids, at all.

Sweets
12-05-08, 02:07
Hmm, Hunter Pierce...I like that name too. You're right it is a sexy name :D

I really like the name Jeisa too, it's not a very common name.

matrix54
12-05-08, 02:09
my Middle name is Quahe'.

thats a bit TOO original if you ask me. Im gonna go watch family guy and american dad now. BU-BYE!!

EgyptianSoul
12-05-08, 02:13
If I could reproduce, I'd let my children decide are they boy or girl or whatever. :) I don't have the right to choose things for them. And they could choose their own names too.

Lonely Istari
12-05-08, 02:23
^ Well then what would you call them until they are old enough to decide their names?? And they would probably be wanting to change their name every day as kids... lol

EgyptianSoul
12-05-08, 03:06
^ Well then what would you call them until they are old enough to decide their names?? And they would probably be wanting to change their name every day as kids... lol

That is if I could have children. I've grown up to hate this society we live in because it has treated me horribly and I'd rather let my children be free and choose everything for themselves. I was forced to boxes I didn't belong because people wanted to feel that I wasn't that bad of a threat to what they call "normality". Anyways I'm not able to have children and don't you think it hurts knowing that.

Shrantellatessa
12-05-08, 03:08
Hind for the girl maybe, as for the boy, I'll let his dad choose :p

kryptonite23
12-05-08, 03:17
You can bet the name from any artists. ;)

Lonely Istari
12-05-08, 03:18
That is if I could have children. I've grown up to hate this society we live in because it has treated me horribly and I'd rather let my children be free and choose everything for themselves. I was forced to boxes I didn't belong because people wanted to feel that I wasn't that bad of a threat to what they call "normality". Anyways I'm not able to have children and don't you think it hurts knowing that.

I meant no offense at all ES! I'm sorry if it sounded like I did :o I am afraid that I could face that same future as well for certain reasons I won't share here. So, I know somewhat how you might feel. :hug: Please know that I meant no offense.

EgyptianSoul
12-05-08, 03:21
I meant no offense at all ES! I'm sorry if it sounded like I did :o I am afraid that I could face that same future as well for certain reasons I won't share here. So, I know somewhat how you might feel. :hug: Please know that I meant no offense.

It's ok. No offence taken. :hug: Sorry that I snapped at you, I didn't mean to. Just having a bad morning. :D I'm sad to hear that you might lose the chance to have offspring too. I won't ask why, don't wanna upset you. Anyways, gotta go out soon.

Indiana Croft
12-05-08, 03:25
I love the name Vittoria for a girl, but my sister's name is VICtoria, so naming my kid that would be weird so yea lol

Lonely Istari
12-05-08, 03:38
It's ok. No offence taken. :hug: Sorry that I snapped at you, I didn't mean to. Just having a bad morning. :D I'm sad to hear that you might lose the chance to have offspring too. I won't ask why, don't wanna upset you. Anyways, gotta go out soon.

:hug: It's ok, we all have those mornings :) Hope your day brightens up a bit! :wve:

As for my reasons they are just biological. It's a frightening thought, but I'm still optimistic.

EgyptianSoul
12-05-08, 04:33
:hug: It's ok, we all have those mornings :) Hope your day brightens up a bit! :wve:

As for my reasons they are just biological. It's a frightening thought, but I'm still optimistic.

My problem is biological too. I don't have the necessary reproductive organs. :( But maybe I'll adopt a child someday.

I hope you still have a chance. Even a little. :)

Tthe Spirit
12-05-08, 05:16
Lamar is a very nice one... :)

Or Marya...

For a boy: i like Marcos alot... :)

Lara Coft Baby
12-05-08, 07:11
I have a few names but for some reason I don't like to share them. For the fear of some one taking them and using them. Cause thats what happened to my sister. She was going to name her son Hayden but her boyfriends sister named her daughter Jayden. Or whatever, and my sister didnt want them to have rhyming names :vlol: So I try to keep them secret till I actually have kids :ton:

iamlaracroft
12-05-08, 08:07
Jay for a girl or boy :)

I have gone by my middle name since birth.

to the OP:
Please, whatever you do, give your kid(s) truly original names.

Not:
-names of countries or cities (Paris, Asia, Sydney)

-universally common and overused names that are just spelled differently under the guise that they are "unique" (Ashley vs Ashlee, Crystal vs Krystal, Jackie vs Jaqui)
No one likes the girl who always has to make sure everyone knows "it's Kelli with an 'i'" :hea:

-definitely don't name him or her an adjective or noun like "Faith" or "Rose" or "Unique"

-pick a name that only has one way of pronouncing it-- please, none of this "it's An-dray-UH" or "AHN-dray-uh" or "An-dree-UH" :hea:

-whatever you do--SPELL CHECK FIRST! There is nothing worse than seeing a kid's name on something official and realizing their parents didn't bother to check how it's spelled. I knew so many people in school with misspelled names, like: Shardannay, or Stefanyuh (not kidding) or the absolute worst that drove me :cen:ing nuts:

Schuyler.

I beg of you, tell me what name you think that's supposed to be?

I have two extremely unique names, both french, and in many ways, they shaped who I became in life.
Do you want your child to drown in a sea of common and become one of 100 million Jessica's or Ashlee's or Amanda's? No offense to those who call themselves these names-- but let's not beat around the bush--those are very common names. I think we all know probably 10 ashley's, 10 jessica's, 10 sara's, 15 amanda's each!
Picking out your future child's name isn't like picking out a loaf of bread at the market-- it's a big deal. Don't get hung up on meanings or family names or giving your child the name of someone they nor you have ever met (like a dead relative, cmon).

People gave Gweneth so much trouble for naming her baby Apple, but that is the most refreshing and delightfully unique name I've heard, well, since my own names. ;)

Think outside the box. Think long and hard. Research it. Just make sure you spell check it!!

EgyptianSoul
12-05-08, 08:25
I've changed my name once in my life and now I feel I wanna change it again because it doesn't feel right. My birth name was nothing like me, neither my new name. I feel like I'm going through a constant search of who I am and I still don't know even though I'm 21 now. I don't know myself.

Nausinous
12-05-08, 09:56
Ruben for a boy and Lilly for a girl.

Rexie
12-05-08, 12:44
depends on who's the daddy :whi:

Vertigo
12-05-08, 12:54
Lena Not because my mother is Lena, I just love this name. Very pretty XD
John I know and love so many famous Johns and I just love this name. Don`t care it`s simple, I`m not that person who goes to "exotic" names like most of the famous people: Banga-Bang-Clarisse-Shimmer-Dah-Dah-Bling (or something). It`s fool!

McGloomy
12-05-08, 13:06
My brother and me are named after my parent's grandparents. Unfortunately my grandfathers are called Werner and Horst. :o

Boy:

Michael (after my deceased uncle)
Matthias (my best friend)
Tobias (I just like the name ;))

Girl:

Josephine (my mother wanted to call me that name in case I became a girl)
Kathleen (a tribute to J.K. Rowling)
Astrid (a tribute to Astrid Lindgren; at least I'm not calling my daughter Windowshade :p)

(All those names are pronounced in the German way. :))

cammy.
12-05-08, 13:14
I can't even remember all the names I like at the moment...but for a boy I love Yoji and Tommy, there's lots more but I always forget them seeings im not thinking of having kids anytime soon.

Sedge
12-05-08, 14:35
Hmm, I wouldn't make the final decision after just confirming whether it's a boy or a girl.. I'd like to pick a name that fits the child I'm giving it to, a name that looks and "feels" right for her/him. :) Knowing myself, I'd probably do quite a bit of research aswell to confirm it didn't mean anything too nasty or something in other languages.. XD But yeah, a Finnish(or at least sounds like one) name definitely. I have a few in my mind but won't share them, bwhaha. ^_~

I don't know much about how other countries handle their "namings" by the way.. I guess it may depend on religion aswell? And I remember reading somewhere that at least in the USA the name has to be decided right after birth, or am I right.. ? O.o What about other countries? I'm interested! :D

Most of the Finnish people are Christians, so we usually have this blessing ceremony called "christening"(..or something?) at a church after a few months(counting from birth), where the name is also given.. I know of a couple who couldn't decide what name to give to their child even by that day, so they sort of chose it randomly at the place after some grandgrand..something. :p And a classmate of mine actually got a bit different name from the one chosen by her parents due to a misspelling(or something) in the priest's papers! :eek:

Names are interesting~

Lonely Istari
12-05-08, 16:03
I was just thinking of some more names that I rather like.

Blake - for a boy or girl
Sage - for a girl

star-dust
12-05-08, 16:08
Mmm, when I think of names for kids, I always think of a boys name because I always think of myself as having a boy... :o:p

Boy:
Leland or Matthew

Girls:
Meghan

Nannonxyay
12-05-08, 16:09
Patrick for a boy and Helena or Raven for a girl.

Elysia
12-05-08, 16:55
I tend to like traditional names - I went through my 'oh, if I have a girl she's going to be called Lucrecia or Sable and if I have a boy, it'll be Vladimir or Kai!' stage about 10 years ago...

So, boys:
James
Kieran (or Ciaran)
Alexander
Jonathan
Christopher (my father's name)
David (my father in law)

For girls:
Jennifer (she would never be a Jenny)
Elspeth (my husband like this name, too - I know this, because all his female roleplaying characters are called Elspeth... :D)
Felicity
Evelyn
Sheila (my mother and grandmother - yep, my father married a woman with the same name as his mum! :vlol:)
Marilyn (my mother in law)

SkyPuppy
12-05-08, 18:28
for a girl: Aya, Bridget, Lauren, April, Larissa, Cindy, Jamie, Jill.

for a boy: Jacob, Matthew, Conan, Eric, Tommy, Jason, Adam.

those are all the names I like that I can think of at the moment. :)

ajrich17901
12-05-08, 18:48
For a boy: Chase, Jason, Steven,
For a girl: Sara, lara, Aya

ben_the_joka
12-05-08, 20:01
This is kinda sad that i've thought about this but...

Boy: Ralph

Girl: Phoebe

lmao

the morningstar
12-05-08, 20:18
if i have kids
for a girl - Adelaide
for a boy - Adam (my middle name)

rickybazire
12-05-08, 20:34
Boy - Jimmy with middle name being Alan, because it's the middle name of my two best friends...:D
Girl - Haven't thought of one.

robm_2007
12-05-08, 21:22
Boy-
Janus
Dylan

Girl-
Fiona

Inkheart
12-05-08, 21:56
Alexander

Great name! Definitely the best! (Yes, it's mine . . .)

Well, I'm never going to have children, so I'll just give you all my favourite names.

I love William. It's my brother's middle name, and I've always loved and envied it (I don't have a middle name, but I'm not too bothered) especially when I realised that my idol Liam Mower has a first name that comes from William (WilLiam. See?) Favourite girls name . . . hmm, that's more difficult. Possibly Kerry after the stage actress Kerry Ellis, who will one day come along and proclaim her love to me! (erm, yeah right, Alex, get a life . . . )

Drone
12-05-08, 21:58
Heather for a girl and Sam for a boy. Yeah I think that is

Clara [CA]
12-05-08, 22:05
Guys
Liam, Matteo, Benjamin, Gil, Tristan.

Girls
Emily, Helen (or Hélène, that depends), Fleur (no, not Delacour, thank you), Isabel, Clara (:p).

There's a remote chance that, in the end, I won't chose any of these tho.

Christi
12-05-08, 22:09
Guy-Thor
Girl-Paige;)

Roddy100
13-05-08, 00:09
Elspeth (my husband like this name, too - I know this, because all his female roleplaying characters are called Elspeth... :D)

That's my mother's name. :D

digitizedboy
13-05-08, 00:14
dunno, I'm never going to be capable of having children but if it was possible -
for a male I would call my son Adam and for a female I would call her Mary, or Maria. yeah biblical names, so what. :D

Encore
13-05-08, 00:19
Yeah I don't think I'll be having children either. But I think Alexander is a wonderful name for a boy because it breathes in some inspiration from Alexander the Great. And Sophia (or Sophie, whatever) for a girl, because Sophia means wisdom!

Larapink
13-05-08, 01:01
Well I am only 20, I have never really seen myself with children but that may change later in my life late 30's I might but I really doubt that for now or I might adopt like Angie did if I really wanted a child.

Never thought of names to be honest.

ihatecold17
13-05-08, 03:46
-universally common and overused names that are just spelled differently under the guise that they are "unique" (Ashley vs Ashlee, Crystal vs Krystal, Jackie vs Jaqui)
No one likes the girl who always has to make sure everyone knows "it's Kelli with an 'i'" :hea:

-whatever you do--SPELL CHECK FIRST! There is nothing worse than seeing a kid's name on something official and realizing their parents didn't bother to check how it's spelled.

Think outside the box. Think long and hard. Research it. Just make sure you spell check it!!

have you ever heard the comedian Brian regan? In one of his little skit things during his show he talks about meeting a girl named amy but it was spelled aimye or something, and he goes on to say HI IM BRIAN- BRIVOLBN THE NUMBER SEVEN THE LETTER Q! LOOK AT MY NAMETAG---its big.

That made me think of that.

My health teacher last year told us about a person who named their child clamidia and another who named their daughter Mercomium because they were pretty words they heard when their babies were born.

Lonely Istari
13-05-08, 16:19
My health teacher last year told us about a person who named their child clamidia and another who named their daughter Mercomium because they were pretty words they heard when their babies were born.

I've heard of a lady who had twins and named them V***** (of course she changed the pronunciation to Vahjeenah or something) and Aquanet! :mad: Why would you do that to your children?!

rowanlim
13-05-08, 16:30
Girl: Erin.
Boy: Rhys.

I like Irish names :wve: :D

Mad Tony
13-05-08, 16:46
I never want to have kids, but if I did then I would name t Jessica if it was a girl and David if it was a boy. :)

Lonely Istari
13-05-08, 16:54
I like Irish names :wve: :D

Me too!!!!! :D

Hence my preference for Declan. I really like the name Aidan too, but it has become too popular. IF I did go with Aidan, I would probably change the spelling to Aedan. :)

Angelx14
13-05-08, 16:58
If I'd be able to have kids, then their names definitely would be something unique, asian-like. But for now I'm thinking of Neo for a boy and for a girl something I don't know. =]

sjam_raider
13-05-08, 17:17
for girls: Maisie, Hannah, Enna, Bella, Chloe and maybe Anna.
for boys: Edward, Alasdair, James, Alex/Alexander.
These are my favourites at the moment but they will most likely change. :D

rowanlim
13-05-08, 17:39
Me too!!!!! :D

Hence my preference for Declan. I really like the name Aidan too, but it has become too popular. IF I did go with Aidan, I would probably change the spelling to Aedan. :)

Hahaha I like Declan too. I like Michael too :D

Devilian
13-05-08, 17:43
For girl - Rayan
For boy - Liam

Wayne_Scales
13-05-08, 17:45
For a girl: ann

For a boy: doody

Laurencarter
13-05-08, 18:33
For a girl:

Christelle: any variant of that name (it's my own name)

Helena: But that's my mother and my sister in law's name so it's allready taken and thus won't be unique.

For a boy:

Timothy: Cause McGee is so darn cute in NCIS.

and Harry: The name of a guy I had a crush on a while back.