PDA

View Full Version : M.E Awareness Week!

Greenkey2
12-05-08, 12:21
Every year thousands of people are diagnosed with M.E (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome or post-viral fatigue syndrome). It is estimated that some 250,000 people live with the condition in the UK alone.

It affects children, teenagers, adults, men and women. It is no respecter of health, social status or lifestyle choice. Many people are so badly affected they must be hospitalized for months or years at a time, and even the most basic tasks of eating, walking and concentrating leave them feeling drained and exhausted.

There are only limited treatments, and no known cure. The prospects, however, are good if support and careful management are given as early as possible. It is possible to recover from M.E, but only when good support and greater education are given to raise awareness of how it affects lives.

I've had this condition for ten years now, and am happy to say a quick diagnosis and a supportive family and health team has meant all the difference. From being virtually bed-bound I'm now studying at home part time and managing limited voluntary work.

But there are thousands of people still suffering the worst effects of this illness, and many struggle to gain support from health professionals and social stigma that - even now, after NICE has officially recognised the disease! - maintain that M.E is 'all in the mind'.

This week is M.E Awareness Week - when volunteers and support networks all over the country (and world) will be taking part in awareness campaigns and fundraising events.

On Wednesday, I'll be doing my bit by being sponsored to go to work as Lara Croft :D But sponsorship isn't half as important as raising awareness and understanding of this condition, showing sufferers that there is light at the end of the tunnel :tmb:

You can find out more about M.E and its impact on people's lives here (http://www.afme.org.uk/allaboutme.asp?table=contenttypetwo&id=1), and M.E Awareness Week here (http://www.afme.org.uk/gettinginvolved.asp?id=63).

Thanks for reading this - I appreciate there is a lot! Hopefully I'll have pictures later this week to show how my work event went :D

Explorer
12-05-08, 12:54
Sorry to hear about you suffering from this unpleasent condition :(

Hope your sponser goes well, and look forward to seeing the pics :tmb:

Domino
12-05-08, 15:22
Well you've made at least one person aware Jenni. :hug:

Sorry to hear that you have the condition, but as long as you're surrounded by people who care I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

disneyprincess20
12-05-08, 15:45
Good luck for the walk! I'll look forward to seeing the photos!

Inkheart
12-05-08, 15:50
I'm glad it's M.E awareness week because to be honest, I've never heard of it before. :o *heads to Wiki to find out more*. And if you're dressing up as Lara, photos are necessary! :mis:

EDIT: oooh, you've supplied links! *clicks*