PDA

View Full Version : Best buy coming to UK?!

jaywalker
12-05-08, 13:59
Not sure if this been discussed at all, but after Best Buy paid $1.1bn for a share of Carphonewarehouse, its rumoured today that that will buy the DSGi group and Kesa - These are the companies who own PC world, Dixons, Curries, and Comet..

I reckon bring it on, get the US style electronic stores over here asap. i LOVE em. Huge, well stocked and you could spend hours wandering around trying things out :)

What you all think? you want huge superstore sized electronic stores? :)

Geck-o-Lizard
12-05-08, 14:01
Not bothered tbh. The internet is the way to go for electronic goods.

jaywalker
12-05-08, 14:02

but online u dont get to play with things, and then when u break it walk away quickly :)

Obscure
12-05-08, 14:03

I second that :)
I can already order US Electronics through Ebay for a little extra P&P. There's not a lot of need for a big new store when we have so many already.

jaywalker
12-05-08, 14:20
I second that :)
I can already order US Electronics through Ebay for a little extra P&P. There's not a lot of need for a big new store when we have so many already.

Ahh but if they buy out DSGi/kesa, then that would mean they replaced anyway.. you wont have dixons/currys/pcworld/comet anymore (in theory)

disneyprincess20
12-05-08, 14:24
No one should go into a comet store anyway *shudders*

I don't see the point of these big stores really. I only ever go in one if it's on my way or there's something I really want but I want a play test first. I go into the big store, play/break it, then go and buy if for half the price on the internet. That's their only use in my opinion, play-testing.

Obscure
12-05-08, 14:27
Ahh but if they buy out DSGi/kesa, then that would mean they replaced anyway.. you wont have dixons/currys/pcworld/comet anymore (in theory)

I love PC World :hug: They can't get rid of them :( They have some of the best deals I've ever seen :tmb:

Geck-o-Lizard
12-05-08, 14:29
Best deals you've ever seen? Where have you been looking?!

Last thing I bought from PC world was a 512MB SD card for twenty quid when they were generally a tenner online. And get this, it turned out that it was an illegal counterfeit too.

oocladableeblah
12-05-08, 14:38
That's good for you, I love best buy they have good deals for rebates and stuff usually. I prefer to go into the store, you get out of the house, plus like Jay said you get to play with the electronics. I also hate waiting for deliveries if you go to the sore you just just grab it and go (or you can pay for it :p)

Obscure
12-05-08, 14:44

Last thing I bought from PC world was a 512MB SD card for twenty quid when they were generally a tenner online. And get this, it turned out that it was an illegal counterfeit too.

Oh no, PC World can be quite expensive, depending on what your looking at :P I meant to say, when they have offers going they have some really great deals :tmb: I bought a lot of my RAM from there as it was going for peanuts.

jaywalker
12-05-08, 14:46
I get the feeling best buy would be a lot cheaper then Pc world would be.. they also price match heavily.. i was in the US years back saw a camera in the store i liked, did a search online found a cheaper price, and took printout, instantly price matched and voila i got item :)

Eddie Haskell
12-05-08, 15:27
I get the feeling best buy would be a lot cheaper then Pc world would be.. they also price match heavily.. i was in the US years back saw a camera in the store i liked, did a search online found a cheaper price, and took printout, instantly price matched and voila i got item :)

You are correct. Best Buy and most of the brick and mortar stores will price match (or better sometimes), particularly in today's competitive market. The customer has a huge advantage these days. I bought my last plasma display at a bit more than wholesale cost at Circuit City, when I went on line in the store and showed them where I would buy it otherwise. They were not stupid, they made the sale.

SamReeves
12-05-08, 16:50
Best Buy is great for going in and test driving gizmos. However when it comes time to buy, I'd rather do online with Amazon or B&H Photo. That way I can avoid the sales tax.

jamieoliver22
12-05-08, 17:07
I love PC World :hug: They can't get rid of them :( They have some of the best deals I've ever seen :tmb:

PC World is a horrible place, the prices are ridiculous and they just rip off people who have little knowledge into computers. Take their 'TechGuys' thing for example, they charge 90 to plug in your computer, 50 to install an operating system and even 15 just to download a sodding driver - see HERE (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/the-techguys). I remember years ago (when I wasn't as advanced on computers), I took it into them for a free health check - and when I got it back, all they did was install some crappy bloating software and they broke my Internet Explorer. Most of the staff there seem to know sod all about computers anyway, including the so called TechGuys.

This video about sums it up, thanks to Weebl and Bob: http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/upgrade%202.htm

Melonie Tomb Raider
12-05-08, 17:14
I <3 Best Buy. One of my fav stores. :jmp:

CerebralAssassin
12-05-08, 17:16
I say bring it.you Brits are lucky.I don't think Best Buy (or wal-mart,for that matter) won't come to Greece anytime soon :(

Titanium
12-05-08, 17:17
Take their 'TechGuys' thing for example, they charge 90 to plug in your computer

[/url]

As in, just the standard leads? That take about five minutes to do?

jamieoliver22
12-05-08, 17:18
As in, just the standard leads? That take about five minutes to do?

More or less, yeah - take a look here about it: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/842053

Agent 47
12-05-08, 19:23
Not sure if this been discussed at all, but after Best Buy paid $1.1bn for a share of Carphonewarehouse, its rumoured today that that will buy the DSGi group and Kesa - These are the companies who own PC world, Dixons, Curries, and Comet..

I reckon bring it on, get the US style electronic stores over here asap. i LOVE em. Huge, well stocked and you could spend hours wandering around trying things out :)

why don't we just sell the entire UK and be done with it.....do we actually still own anything???? :(

Minty Mouth
12-05-08, 19:27
I think its a wonderful idea! I love tech shops and there are loads of American companies that have no stores over here in the U.k!

ben_the_joka
12-05-08, 19:59

Exactly what I though...

PC World is overpriced.

Tbh the only people i know who go to electronics stores are the people who aren't the slightest tech-savvy, therefore, places like currys can con them into buying **** for higher prices. They get my dad every time. I tell him he should consult me or my brother dan 1st but he don't. His loss i guess lol.

Obscure
12-05-08, 20:06
PC World is a horrible place, the prices are ridiculous and they just rip off people who have little knowledge into computers. Take their 'TechGuys' thing for example, they charge 90 to plug in your computer, 50 to install an operating system and even 15 just to download a sodding driver - see HERE (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/the-techguys). I remember years ago (when I wasn't as advanced on computers), I took it into them for a free health check - and when I got it back, all they did was install some crappy bloating software and they broke my Internet Explorer. Most of the staff there seem to know sod all about computers anyway, including the so called TechGuys.

This video about sums it up, thanks to Weebl and Bob: http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/upgrade%202.htm

What I meant to say and I did say later in the thread is that they have some really good offers in PC World. I'd never let them touch my computer nor would I buy anything else from them other than in their deal sections. They also have really cheap games in there :tmb: I went in there the other day and they had new-ish games going for 2.00 :)
I agree about the Tech Guys as well, they're not exactly Computer clued up but neither am I to be honest so who am I to judge?
I do most of my computer shopping at my local electronic shop :) But I did buy all my RAM for less than twenty pounds in PC World :tmb:

Larapink
12-05-08, 21:41
We have enough technology shops/stores here we don't really need another. :vlol:

Rachel Croft
12-05-08, 21:43

i they are coming to the UK, you will enjoy them. I live in America, and they are EVERYWHERE.

Larapink
12-05-08, 21:47
i they are coming to the UK, you will enjoy them. I live in America, and they are EVERYWHERE.
Thats funny because the last time when I went to America I never saw a Best Buy :confused:, I always saw loads of Wal-Marts we already have Wal-Mart here but it's called ASDA here in the UK.

irjudd
12-05-08, 22:57
I like going to best buy and making the sales people look like jerks by correcting all the wrong things they tell customers when it comes to technology. :mis:

Lenochka
13-05-08, 01:42
Best Buy is simply amazing :tmb:
I sometimes spend a few hours in there just looking around at things, testing things out etc. Music/Movies/Games for some reason tend to be cheaper there. :)