PDA

View Full Version : The best and worst covers of songs?

Titanium
14-05-08, 18:46
What song covers do you consider the best and what ones do you consider so bad that its a disgrace to the original songs name?

Encore
14-05-08, 18:48
Perhaps they aren't technically covers, but I passionately detest every single one of those rap/hip hop/ rīnīb songs that basically steal the rythm and chorus of older songs and add their terrible mumbling "lyrics" over it. :hea:

Nannonxyay
14-05-08, 18:49
I consider Fall Out Boy's Beat It to be a good cover, not exactly better than the original, but I think Patrick's voice is really great in it. A bad cover would have to be 'New Found Glory''s My Heart Will Go On. I mean, it just is terrible imo. I thought the original was bad. :vlol:

Vertigo
14-05-08, 18:53
Well all those bad covers of beautiful songs when original song-writer is genius and cover-singer is nothing. Like "Working class hero" by Green Day (not so bad tho), disgusting "Imagine" and "Knockin` on haven`s door" by Avril (how people could love her voice?), Britney`s "I love rock`n`roll", "Satisfaction" and "Trouble" (OMG!!!) and so on.

I love Duran Duran`s cover of "Perfect Day"
Dusty Springfield`s "Piece of my heart"
Sex Pistols`s "Johnny B Goode" (perfectly messy)
Ten Paul Tudor`s "Rock around the clock"
Travis`s "Baby one more time" is brilliant XD

JinSlayer
14-05-08, 18:54
I love dimmu borgir's cover of twisted sister's song burn in hell

Natey168
14-05-08, 18:57
I love Rasputina's covers of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd and "Tourniquet" by Marilyn Manson (I like that one better than the original). Oh, and Johnny Cash's "Hurt", which I also like better than the original. I can't really think of any bad covers at the moment..

Encore
14-05-08, 18:59
Now here's some covers I do like

Police & Thieves by The Clash :tmb: (original by Junior Murvin).

The Killers' cover of Shadowplay (original by Joy Division).

Stripped by Rammstein (original by Depeche Mode), absolutely brilliant example of how to make a cover the right way.

Many of the covers in Garage, Inc. by Metallica, including Turn The Page (original: Bob Seger) and Last Caress + Green Hell (original: The Misfits).

Hunter by 30 Seconds To Mars (original is from Bjork), the cover is pretty much like the original but I think the male vocals add a lot to it.

If I think of more I'll add later..

Forwen
14-05-08, 18:59
Alanis Morisette - My Humps. Pure class.

W91sqAs-_-g

Tony Blair - Should I Stay or Should I Go (outdated) - decide for yourself...

a1vwKZiDsY4

And even more outdated but still amusing - Der Steuersong (not exactly a cover though)

mV5r7SwS-YY

Natey168
14-05-08, 19:06
Oh, yeah! I love Alanis's version of My Humps. :vlol: ^^

Legends
14-05-08, 19:18
Best version: Celine Dion All By Myself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq28UQmxDnw&feature=related)

Worst version: Eric Carmen All By Myself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ecPaKTg5U)

Christi
14-05-08, 19:26
OOOHH MMYYYY GOOODD!!!!!!!!!

You gave me a 6 pack from laughing so hard on the Alanis Morrisette song!! I LOVE ALANIS! BUT THAT WAS JUST TOO FUNNY!!!!:vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol:

Eddie Haskell
14-05-08, 19:29
Best version: Celine Dion All By Myself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq28UQmxDnw&feature=related)

Worst version: Eric Carmen All By Myself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ecPaKTg5U)

The man wrote the song. It is therefore the definitive version, like it or not. I happen to love it. :D

Worst Cover Ever= It's My Life - Gwen Stefani

Best Cover Ever= Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Fanfare For the Common Man

Trigger_happy
14-05-08, 19:34
You gave me a 6 pack from laughing so hard

I wanna be able to laugh that hard...

Back on topic, Alanis Morisette's version of My humps is a classic. Also, form the BBC Live Lounge CD, there are Jamelia's cover of "Numb", Biffy Clyro's cover of "Umbrella" and Arctic Monkey's cover of "Love machine".

Natey168
14-05-08, 19:39

That's a cover? (And it's actually No Doubt...unless Gwen did a cover of her own band's song..)

Eddie Haskell
14-05-08, 19:42
That's a cover?

Good lord, I keep forgetting that there are kids in here. The song was a classic Talk Talk number and their #1 hit. The video was (and still is) super.

vvAVJTQeFiQ

Domino
14-05-08, 19:44
I wanna be able to laugh that hard...

Back on topic, Alanis Morisette's version of My humps is a classic. Also, form the BBC Live Lounge CD, there are Jamelia's cover of "Numb", Biffy Clyro's cover of "Umbrella" and Arctic Monkey's cover of "Love machine".

I love Jamelia's cover of "Numb", it brings something new to the song.

Legends
14-05-08, 19:46
The man wrote the song. It is therefore the definitive version, like it or not. I happen to love it. :D

Best Cover Ever= Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Fanfare For the Common Man

So because he wrote the song he's got the best version? Dion's vocal performance is much better than Carmen's. You can't even compare them. Face it whether he wrote it or not, she made it her own. How many singers cover his version now? It's all hers.

Natey168
14-05-08, 19:48
Good lord, I keep forgetting that there are kids in here. The song was a classic Talk Talk number and their #1 hit. The video was (and still is) super.

Wow, I can't believe I've never heard that.

Eddie Haskell
14-05-08, 19:49
So because he wrote the song he's got the best version? Dion's vocal performance is much better than Carmen's. You can't even compare than. Face it whether he wrote it or not, she made it her own. How many singers cover his version now? It's all hers.

All of that is irrelevant. His is not a cover version.

touchthesky
14-05-08, 19:51
72ojJkhOc0A

<3.

Legends
14-05-08, 19:51
All of that is irrelevant. His is not a cover version.

No it isn't, and you didn't answer my question. This is a thread about cover versions, and if that is irrelevant because he's got the original version then you missed the point of this thread.

touchthesky
14-05-08, 19:53
Another good Patrick cover;

opeE5yfd_0c

I hate the original tho.

Eddie Haskell
14-05-08, 19:54
No it isn't, and you didn't answer my question. This is a thread about cover versions, and if that is irrelevant because he's got the original version then you missed the point of this thread.

You must be joking.

The best and worst covers of songs?

Not originals.

Voni
14-05-08, 19:56
Ok children, let's not fight. It's boring the hell out of me.

On topic, I get angry when I hear terrible covers of classic rock songs. For example, 'Walk this Way' done by Sugababes and Girls Aloud is an utter disgrace and a crime against ears. Fact.

One of the best covers I've heard is 'I Will Survive' by Cake.

Carbonek_0051
14-05-08, 19:59
IMHO this is one of the best covers:

Against All Odds - The Postal Service

kehHqPfRhPo

This is the original:

Against All Odds - Phil Collins

sjt0av-GWak

touchthesky
14-05-08, 20:00
The MCR/The Used Under pressure is pretty decent.

I'll find a vid.

Y7eliOabU3I

Edit; I love The Postal Service <3.

jarekhanzelka
14-05-08, 20:00
Best: Vanilla Sky's cover for Umbrella by Rihanna and Andy McKee's acoustic cover for Africa by Toto (simply breathtaking)

WORST: Karl Wolf's cover for Africa by Toto (it's not even officialy called as cover, is it?) and 5ive's cover for We Will Rock You by Queen (I just hate the ingredience of pop in that)

Eddie Haskell
14-05-08, 20:02
IMHO this is one of the best covers:

Against All Odds - The Postal Service

This is the original:

Against All Odds - Phil Collins

Wow, my wife and I love that song. The original that is, never heard the cover version. And I have always had a great crush on Rachel Ward. Damn, she was always smokin' hot!

TR93
14-05-08, 20:05
Fave Cover-
New Found Glory- Kiss Me

Carbonek_0051
14-05-08, 20:05
Wow, my wife and I love that song. The original that is, never heard the cover version. And I have always had a great crush on Rachel Ward. Damn, she was always smokin' hot!

I love Phil Collins, amazing artist I thought it was dumb when Mariah Carey tried to cover it....:rolleyes:

But the Postal Service actually pulled it off...:)

EDIT: Worst cover: Mariah Carey - Against All Odds

JqJSYjRERE8

Dingaling
14-05-08, 20:23
Placebo's version of "Running Up That Hill" by The Goddess (to the uninitiated The Goddess is Kate Bush) is cringeworthy and pukeworthy. It is awful. I can't sing and even I do a better version.

Best cover? I rather like Avril's version of "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer. And a friend of mine (who is trying to get signed and all) did a rather fantastic cover of Linkin Park's "Numb".

TR93
14-05-08, 20:45
Best cover? I rather like Avril's version of "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer. And a friend of mine (who is trying to get signed and all) did a rather fantastic cover of Linkin Park's "Numb".

I Love Linkin Park, I'm trying to find a band so I can play their songs( guitar) but can't find no one. I bet your friend is great.To a good cover of LP, it's not easy. Hope to hear it someday, I bet it's awesome awesome
:)

Carbonek_0051
14-05-08, 21:54
Another Good Cover

Exploding Boy - Alkaline Trio

ePb1joih8ww

The Original:

Exploding Boy - The Cure

DD5x3dxxfrs

bloodstormaoa
14-05-08, 22:37
I love Phil Collins, amazing artist I thought it was dumb when Mariah Carey tried to cover it....:rolleyes:

But the Postal Service actually pulled it off...:)

EDIT: Worst cover: Mariah Carey - Against All Odds

JqJSYjRERE8

In all fairness to Mariah though, that's her at her best :tmb:

Not all this r'n'b crap she's came out with for the last few years.

Admles
15-05-08, 00:28
Worst covers of songs include:

DJ Sammy - Boys of Summer
The Ataris - Boys of Summer
Madonna - American Pie
DJ Sammy - Heaven
Linda Ronstadt - Desperado

Theres a few more but cbf'd remembering them right now

viper456
15-05-08, 00:34
MZrYDwNe5Ek

Harry's cover of Imagination PWNS BIG STYLIN' YO!

Carbonek_0051
15-05-08, 00:44
OH! I just remembered a good one

Umbrella - All Time Low

o-MnPSSeBsI

Original:

Umbrella - Rihanna

qQHMcZVPnNE

]{eith
15-05-08, 01:02
More of a spoof or parody than a cover but still definitley worth a listen:

ORIGINAL - Alanis Morissette - Thank U
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1WJlxjxAZE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b1WJlxjxAZE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

COVER - Jennifer Saunders - Aimless Morris Minor
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gITr1alPvD4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gITr1alPvD4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

touchthesky
15-05-08, 14:11
John Barrowmans covers always rawk.

xD

UA72AuQWTDQ

\/ personal fav <3
zyNYcvY7crg

Nannonxyay
15-05-08, 17:38
Another good Patrick cover;

opeE5yfd_0c

I hate the original tho.

Patrick is amazing. He's practically made for singing. :tmb:

myrmaad
15-05-08, 18:00
One of my favorite covers is Frou Frou's of Holding Out For A Hero - the awful old Bonnie Tyler hit.

Drone
15-05-08, 18:08
Lookin' For A Love very good song by Neil Young has been covered by Idlewild I love it :)

zanga
15-05-08, 18:21
the best by far is bowling for soup - London bridge

Paul H
15-05-08, 18:52
My favourite cover is April Sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXXwIk7iHGg) by Vinnie Moore, which is a guitar version of JS Bach’s Air on a G String.

Too many terrible cover versions around to pick out just one, but all of those awful covers by Girls Aloud spring to mind.

findme
15-05-08, 18:59
Just about any covers of Umbrella to be honest, they all tend to ruin the song for me. God the MCR and Mandy Moore covers are HORRIBLE.

ChocChipCookie
15-05-08, 19:04
Worst covers of songs include:

DJ Sammy - Heaven

Oh I liked that one :o:D

I'm sure there's many bad covers, but the one that always springs to mind is Rolf Harris' cover of Stairway to Heaven. I mean, WHY???!!! :smk:

Tyrannosaurus
15-05-08, 21:59
Cradle of Filth have a special place in hell for butchering "Hallowed be Thy Name."

I liked Death's version of "Painkiller," though.

Drone
15-05-08, 22:01
worst cover imo is working class hero by greenday

Vertigo
15-05-08, 22:37
worst cover imo is working class hero by greenday

You haven`t heard Imagine by Avril then:eek:

remote91
15-05-08, 22:39
I love Evanescence's cover of Thoughtless by Korn.

And also Gary Jules' version of Mad World by Tears For Fears is great.

Vertigo
15-05-08, 22:40
OMG! I`m idiot! I forgot awful Atomic Kitten`s The tide is high!!

Sweets
15-05-08, 22:41
Best cover IMO is Creedence Clearwater Revival's version of Heard It Through the Grapevine. It kicks ass, totally. Usually I like the original versions of songs better, but not in this case. CCR's version pwns.

Dominic. [:
15-05-08, 22:42
..Portal - Still Alive Remix by Atomic Inc. :hug:

I'm addicted to this song, but believe me.. I'm not usually into this sort of music. :p

Agent 47
15-05-08, 23:00
OMG! I`m idiot! I forgot awful Atomic Kitten`s The tide is high!!

no, you're not an idiot..........you meant to forget it:D

Vertigo
15-05-08, 23:05
no, you're not an idiot..........you meant to forget it:D

XD Actually my dream is FORGET all those bad songs I ever knew in my life

M.A.
16-05-08, 02:38
4ruic_HgQ6U&h

Justin Timberlake's Lovestoned (I Think That She Knows) Interlude.

Covered by the awesome John Mayer. (yes, he's the one playing the guitar). :tmb: