PDA

View Full Version : Deadly new Superbug surfaces in Eastern Australia

Lara's Backpack
16-05-08, 08:52
A deadly new superbug has surfaced in Australia's eastern cities and has already claimed the life of one Sydney teenager.

Health care professionals are warning the MRSA superbug, which already kills 2000 Australian hospital patients a year on average, has evolved into a much more aggressive strain.

However, while the antibiotic-resistant bacteria was previously only found in hospitals, doctors have discovered it is now being found in the wider community and can be passed from one member of the public to the other.

An investigation by the Sunday program found the new superbug CA-MRSA (Community Aquired Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) can target anyone, including the young and healthy.

Sixteen-year-old Sydneysider Reis Gray died late last year from a CA-MRSA infection in his lungs.

His family told Sunday that Reis was a healthy teenager who had what everyone thought was the flu.

"The weekend before he [went to hospital] he just had a sniffily nose," Reis' mother Julia Gray said.

Within days he was on life support. Reis later died from necrotising pneumonia his lungs were literally eaten away by the killer bug.

Pathology Queensland's microbiology director Graeme Nimmo says the number of CA-MRSA cases in Australian cities has leapt by 700 percent from 2000 to 2007.

"This is an epidemic," he told the Sunday program. "Nothing like this has ever been seen. Both the Queensland and South Pacific strain have a toxin called 'PVL' which can destroy white blood cells causing necrotising, or flesh eating infections of the skin, bone and lungs."

The highly transmittable and aggressive bacteria can be spread through any dirty surface including taxis, public transport and door handles.

CA-MRSA is resistant to antibiotics and has evolved into separate strains around the world. In Australia there are the Western Australian, Queensland and South West Pacific strains, with the latter two becoming increasingly common along the east coast.

For the full story watch the Sunday program on the Nine Network at 7:30am on Sunday.

I found this really scary - disease is one of my biggest fears, Im not a germ paranoid person, but infectious deadly diseases really creap me out, and now a strain of something this deadly is really quite frightning to me, nacrotising symptoms :s

MrBear
16-05-08, 09:02
Do you live in Australia? It is indeed scary, but what is (nearly?) worse is the infectious spread of fear that the media can cause.. Don't let it affect your life too much :) it's a given that bacteria evolves like we do, I don't think that can ever be avoided.. It's in the very nature of organisms :)

Drone
16-05-08, 09:07
crap, another one mass murderer. Nature will always try to wipe humankind out of the Earth coz man kills everything :wve:

Geck-o-Lizard
16-05-08, 09:11
Remember bird flu?

MrBear
16-05-08, 09:13
^ Exactly :)

Nature will always try to wipe humankind out of the Earth coz man kills everything :wve:

Or natural selection, perhaps? Ensuring only the strongest parts of mankind lives on, thus promoting a constantly forward-moving development of homo sapiens? ;)

I find it strange to attach 'revenge' to Nature...

iamlaracroft
16-05-08, 09:21
if it were plausible--maybe mother nature should to take revenge on man...

...or is she doing that already? finally striking back after years of abuse and neglect? katrina, tsunami, heat waves, wacky unpredictable weather shifts, snow in mexico... :confused:

Lara's Backpack
16-05-08, 09:24
if it were plausible--maybe mother nature should to take revenge on man...

...or is she doing that already? finally striking back after years of abuse and neglect? katrina, tsunami, heat waves, wacky unpredictable weather shifts, snow in mexico... :confused:

Scary isnt it?

And yes, to whomever asked above - I do live in Australia. Eastern Australia!! (Kind of why I freaked alittle when I read this)

MrBear
16-05-08, 09:25
^ Ah, yes, I thought as much.. But hey, don't worry too much :)

Do you actually assign feelings to Nature? I thought it would be obvious that Nature is a non-scentient being :)

I won't say that what you call 'revenge on Man' is uncalled for, though... I just hope my children can grow up in a world where rain forests still exist.. Oh well, there'll always be the national parks..

Lara's Backpack
16-05-08, 09:30
^ Ah, yes, I thought as much.. But hey, don't worry too much :)

Do you actually assign feelings to Nature? I thought it would be obvious that Nature is a non-scentient being :)

I won't say that what you call 'revenge on Man' is uncalled for, though... I just hope my children can grow up in a world where rain forests still exist.. Oh well, there'll always be the national parks..

Move them to Australia :p The Population to Area ratio here is so vast its something like 1 person to every 10 kilometres squared :ton:

MrBear
16-05-08, 09:46
Move them to Australia :p The Population to Area ratio here is so vast its something like 1 person to every 10 kilometres squared :ton:

Yeah, I heard about that :p but at the same time you're all crowded in the urban areas, hehe.. But seriously, about the 'superbug': don't stay at home for fear of catching a disease like that... It's like terrorism, don't let it interfere with the quality of your life ;)

iamlaracroft
16-05-08, 09:50
it is so scary that I have vowed not to bring a human into this world. Not on my watch. What for? To clean up our hot mess of a war-torn world? To deal with the fall out of our misdeeds? Try to resurrect countries infested with economic decay and ever-dwindling natural resources?
Its common trivia that our sun is scheduled to fizz out and die in 3 billion years...translation, the end of our solar system. Yeah, I know, 3 billion years is, well, 3 billion years away--let's not mark our calendars or anything, but c'mon...our planet is dying and at this rate, with this point of no return we're so fastidiously treading on, we'll be lucky if see the other end of this century.

:(

interstellardave
16-05-08, 10:44
The planet isn't dying... no need to be overly dramatic. If you say animal species are dying, or even Man is dying out, you are (or could be) right about that. The planet will be just fine, however... new species will arise and all will be renewed--regardless of what changes occur in the meantime. It's happened before many times even before Man existed.

Lara's Backpack
16-05-08, 11:14
The planet isn't dying... no need to be overly dramatic. If you say animal species are dying, or even Man is dying out, you are (or could be) right about that. The planet will be just fine, however... new species will arise and all will be renewed--regardless of what changes occur in the meantime. It's happened before many times even before Man existed.

I agree, there's no need to get melodramtic

I was just thinking - Imagine getting sick at a hospital?

The doctor leans over you wearing a mask, and says, "There's nothing we can do."

How would you feel being told that there was no treatment? No antibiotics?

Just woah, wierd. However Im not dramatasizing or anything... :p

Drone
16-05-08, 12:01
Or natural selection, perhaps? Ensuring only the strongest parts of mankind lives on, thus promoting a constantly forward-moving development of homo sapiens? ;)

I find it strange to attach 'revenge' to Nature...

Killing/destruction is not a natural selection. Self-preservative instinct has lost its sense so long time b4. Nature gave up and we sacrificed love and democracy. Morons are happy to burn the forest down just to earn another freaking buck. And I don't talk about 'revenge' of Nature. You didn't udnerstand :) I'm tired of reading the papers and be broken by the news :wve:

Capt. Murphy
16-05-08, 12:48
Can't say I'm surprised. :pi:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7187497.stm

Things have a way of finding a balance. :mis:

MrBear
16-05-08, 14:19
Killing/destruction is not a natural selection. Self-preservative instinct has lost its sense so long time b4. Nature gave up and we sacrificed love and democracy. Morons are happy to burn the forest down just to earn another freaking buck. And I don't talk about 'revenge' of Nature. You didn't udnerstand :) I'm tired of reading the papers and be broken by the news :wve:

And you misunderstood me... I didn't say that killing and destruction is natural selection.. And you're saying that you didn't talk about Nature's revenge, but I cannot interpret your post any other way :confused:

crap, another one mass murderer. Nature will always try to wipe humankind out of the Earth coz man kills everything :wve:

Ikas90
16-05-08, 14:29
Great, something to look forward to when I go back. :(

Mr.Burns
16-05-08, 15:11
Yet another attempt by nature to control the population growth. I wonder if this time it will out smart humanity.

Soma Holiday
16-05-08, 16:34
We've had MRSA in Virginia for quite a while now. I think about 3 people have died and that 3 kids have gotten it, but they were treated. I'm sure its a different strain, but this one is found more commonly in gyms or public showers, and its a staff infection that is usually accompanied by a large sore.

They call this an epidemic...but seriously, if more people die annually in car accidents, can it really be called such??;)

Plus I believe the first human case of mad-cow disease in the US occured in VA not to long ago. I honestly am more worried about getting shot at school than catching some superbug. Hand Sanitizer! W00T! :p

myrmaad
16-05-08, 17:09
My husband has MRSA now; I don't. He caught it from the hospital after he had to have two surgeries for being bitten by a brown recluse spider. :wve:

iamlaracroft
16-05-08, 21:02

lol not being "overly dramatic", love, just giving my two cents--ya know...like what everyone else does at a forum. Although I do appreciate your edited version, even though I wouldn't have minded your pre-edited post where you wrote "Oh for God's sake, no need to be endlessly dramatic.."...lol sounds like the pot calling the kettle black, eh? ;)

Question: have you not seen an inconvenient truth??

You say "it's happened before many times even before Man existed."

...well, yes we've gone through ice ages and dark ages and extinctions of species, but nothing comes close to what man has done to the planet now. The evidence is in the weather, the animals dying and being run out of their natural habitats, the insatiable consumerism that demands more, more, more resources, natural or not. This state we're in, with the cars and the CO2 levels and the green house gases being trapped in the atmosphere, heating the earth to unbearable temperatures (i.e. heat waves in northern europe) melting the glaciers, decreasing the amount of heat reflecting surface area, further heating the earth...those are symptoms of a planet in peril, if not on its deathbed.

So, yeah....I don't think automobiles, factories and 6 billion natural resource-consuming beings "happened before Man existed."

Lara's Backpack
16-05-08, 22:04
My husband has MRSA now; I don't. He caught it from the hospital after he had to have two surgeries for being bitten by a brown recluse spider. :wve:

How is he doing? :Hug:

Drone
17-05-08, 10:18

yup I totally agree it's been so many times b4 and will be after too :)

Humankind survived through all these million years, we are tough guys. Don't know whether we're good or bad :D I hope we will do it all right. My pessimism is on holidays :)

rowanlim
18-05-08, 15:57
Well this reminds me of the Japanese Encephalitis outbreak in Malaysia...Scary scary thought :(