PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns at dawn

John Falstaff
31-08-03, 17:57
Hello everyone,

:(

I was woken up first thing this morning by shotguns being let off. Yes the annual hunting season is upon us, though I think they've started a day early, and will last for several months.

I get really uptight about this at this time of year. :mad: Not least because, amongst other things, the hunters tend to shoot domestic pets, like cats and dogs. As I have two of each animal I get really worried, especially at weekends - when it sounds like a number of major skirmishes are going around all over the place. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/violent.gif

It's not very funny. :(

stephaniedp
31-08-03, 18:06
GASP!

They even shoot pets?! To be honest with you, I don't understand people who shoot animals 'for fun'. What fun is there in killing a creature who cannot even defend itself??? I hope your pets are safe and you yourself be careful!

Steven B
31-08-03, 18:10
I agree, it's horrible, and some people even call it a "sport", what's the fun in going round shooting animals that are defenseless and scared! :( :mad: :(

tippucat
31-08-03, 19:20
Hi John! Do the so called hunters not know the difference? What are they shooting for anyway? I still can't fathom why anyone sees any pleasure in shooting animals for fun! :mad:

John Falstaff
31-08-03, 19:33
Yes,

I don't understand the hunting thing, how can killing something be seen as 'fun' or 'sport'. If your going to eat it ..... well maybe? :confused:

But even that doesn't work. A lot of what they're shooting at here are 'game' birds like pheasant or grouse. These are raised domestically and then released into the 'wild' to be shot. The birds are tame and a real pain. They hang around houses waiting to be fed for God's sake. If you really want one you can just grab hold of it! Or better still don't bother to release them into the 'wild' in the first place.

If you really want to prove how macho you are go after a grizzly bear with a Bowie knife or a wild boar with a spear. :mad:

Yes they do shoot pets! :(

The worst case I know of was a man (?) who shot HIS WIFE'S cat. He was then so sensitive that he took the cat's body and stood there laughing while his wife cried her heart out! :mad:

Sometimes I really do not understand people. :confused:

John Falstaff
31-08-03, 21:12
Tippucat,

I can see why you might be worried! (wan smile)

In answer to your questions, a couple of observations.

a) if ones eyesight is so poor that you can't see what your shooting at, one should not be out there with a gun!

b) if one does not have a clear shot, and can't see what your shooting at, one should not be pulling the trigger!

c) 'accidents' do happen, and sometimes the hunters shoot each other.

Nevertheless, they do know what they are shooting at.

They are meant to be shooting:

rabbits/hares
'game birds'
deer
wild boar.

I feel that the basic reason that they shoot other people's dogs and cats is out of meanness. The 'justification' for killing cats is that they kill rabbits. This is sometimes true. But the rabbits do not belong to anyone legally or emotionally: However, this not true of the cats or dogs.

I'm sorry to bang on about this but it really does upset me.

neil4768
31-08-03, 22:45
I don't agrre with the shooting of animals for sport but for food its another thing as long as it is done humanly. A local butcher here does wild rabbit that has been shot and I don;t see that as problem the rabbit had a natural life and was killed quickly with a clean shot I hope, Better than snaring them.
The problem with game birds is that they are released into the enviromebt just to be shot is wrong, but the estates that organise this shoots also maintain the uplands that support other wildlife , so the shoots pays for the upkeep of the uplands its really playing devil advocates. Do you want the uplands kept as there are? or there would turn into forests eventually

John Falstaff
31-08-03, 23:04
I don't mind hunting, per se, if one is going to eat 'it'. But hunting as a game/fun makes no sense to me at all. The shooting of people's pets is even worse.

Yes, a lot of the British countryside has been 'shaped' by hunting 'requirements'. But at the end of the day what is wrong with letting it all revert back to woodland or forest?

neil4768
31-08-03, 23:13
True but what about the fauna and flora that would be lost if it turned back into forest. We are responsible for what we do either way

They shoukd use some of the grants/subsidies that are used for the CAP, that produces food mountains?lakes ( I think even tobacco that can;t be used in the EU) which we then dump onto the 3rd world, we should use that to maintain the ecosystems that we have

I hope that makes sense

John Falstaff
31-08-03, 23:24
Yes it makes sense.

Much of the fauna in the UK (and elsewhere) is dependent on human created eco-systems. But I do not think that should allow a group of sons of bachelors to take potshots at my cats.!

Isabella
31-08-03, 23:38
Originally posted by John Falstaff:
Yes it makes sense.

Much of the fauna in the UK (and elsewhere) is dependent on human created eco-systems. But I do not think that should allow a group of sons of bachelors to take potshots at my cats.!
:( Good evening all.

John, this is terrible.
Maybe you should find a bee bee gun aim hide somewhere while aiming for their kneee caps. See how they like it.

John Falstaff
31-08-03, 23:43
Hi Isabella,

What's a BB gun? Does it only hurt total wxxxers?

What if they do like it? (Whatever 'it' may be.)

Draco
01-09-03, 00:50
BB gun aka airgun, pellet gun...

I dun really like the whole Sport Hunter mentality...

But I have no problem with hunting for survival...

John Falstaff
01-09-03, 01:12
Survival - OK

Sport - http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yuck.gif

But Draco, what do you think about St.George,
;)

Draco
01-09-03, 01:20
Originally posted by John Falstaff:
Survival - OK

Sport - http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yuck.gif

But Draco, what do you think about St.George,
;) Depraved individual, in need of psychiatric help in a swift way...

He was easier to slay than I expected...*shrug*

John Falstaff
01-09-03, 01:27
I guess he only had a 'BB' gun!

Be glad, he might have had, a hypothetical, Weapon of Mass Desruction!

;)

tippucat
01-09-03, 01:43
I don't believe for a sec that the developed word hunts for survival. It is about a 'few' having 'fun' in a cruel and nonsensical fashion.

I'm not sure that the eco argument is totally valid as the countryside reverts back to what is was before humankind interfered? If you go back far enough (in the great schemem of things a relatively short period of time) there was a time when much of the UK and Europe was heavily forested. It was with the advent of sailing that the forests began to disappear. De-forestation was complete during the industrial revolution. So, maybe it's time that humans allowed nature to have it's comeback.

As for me, I'll go to Sainsbury's tomorrow to get the shopping. I don't need to make an excuse to do that. :(

neil4768
01-09-03, 08:33
Originally posted by tippucat:
As for me, I'll go to Sainsbury's tomorrow to get the shopping. I don't need to make an excuse to do that. :( By that you will be maintaing the eco-sysytem as it is at the moment. Farms were originally covered in forest.

What we need to do is work with the countryside and not to over expolit it leave fields fallow for a year Stopping grubbing up hedgerows
And a I think its an important one start using more organic food, I know you will say about the cost but the more that it is done the price will drop. Meat will taste much better as it is allowed to grow at its natural speed with no anti-botics, growth hormones and the plants will not have been sprayed with god know what chemicals

tippucat
01-09-03, 20:03
Hiya Niel. I agree with your latter points. I'm not an eco warrior, tree hugger, anything like that but, wanton cruelty and sport hunting? Nah!

I'm in favour of organic farming methods and would buy organic produce. As for Sainsbury's. It is 100 yards away from where I live with very little choice of anything else. that's the only reason I go there. I know that major players such as Tesco, Sainsburys etc have been under scrutiny in the past for promoting poor farming methods. I exercise a double standard but I do hope that food production is improving. I keep a 'weather eye' on things. Take care. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

neil4768
01-09-03, 20:17
I work at Waitrose and you can tell from what the public say they want less pesticides and a more ecological farming methods , which I know Waistrose supports. But the big boys Asds Sainsbury Tesco and Safeway are more cost driven it is up to us the consumer to demand from them want we want money speaks volumes to them so they will listen , but being ecologicaly friendly does cost more which I feel is a cost worthwile

creativetwo
02-09-03, 13:37
I could never understand the appeal of hunting and still can't.
Seems downright stupid to me.
I've been fishing once...deep sea fishing.
Didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did and it was so cool bringing home fish that I'd caught.
I caught enough for dinner for me and my mom. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
Tina