PDA

View Full Version : Bollywood movies?

jaywalker
20-05-08, 11:09
Getting addicted to em.. my local Cineworld shows them all time, at least 1 new movie a week opens (and as an Unlimited member get to see as many movies as like for 1 price)

Anyone else a big fan of the movie genre?

Saw Jannat last night, was funny, but sad too.. they just have this way of telling a story in such a way that morals always come thru and love conquers etc.

JinSlayer
20-05-08, 12:06
I'm Pakistani but I hate Bollywood movies. Most of them are rip off' from Hollywood movies. And they've got far too many annoying songs in them :hea:

But I recommend watching Sholay. All time classic

george_croft
20-05-08, 12:13
Not a huge fan, but some of them are simply fantastic! Ever seen Devdas, with Aishwarya Rai ? A three hours long classic, amazing from beginning to end. :tmb:

c5S3myAiqqU

And the music is outstanding!
IiIL-w_jD8o

Larapink
20-05-08, 12:26
I love them! For obvious reasons why is because I am Indian. :D

I'm Pakistani but I hate Bollywood movies. Most of them are rip off' from Hollywood movies. And they've got far too many annoying songs in them :hea:

But I recommend watching Sholay. All time classic
Bollywood films are nothing like Hollywood films, they don't rip off Hollywood films. To be honest there are alot of Pakisrani actors in Indian films. ;)

rowanlim
20-05-08, 13:17
I like the 2 biggest favorites, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai & Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham :tmb:

I haven't watched Devdas but I want to :)

thanatos
20-05-08, 13:27
I love them! For obvious reasons why is because I am Indian. :D

Bollywood films are nothing like Hollywood films, they don't rip off Hollywood films. To be honest there are alot of Pakisrani actors in Indian films. ;)

Bollywood is famous for remaking other popular films, only they're not really remakes as they never pay anything to do it!
Some of them include:
Zinda ripping off Oldboy,
Fight Club,
Matrix (scenes rather than whole film).

To be honest most bollywood ripoffs fall more into the spoof catagory if you ask me because they are laughably bad (fight club being case in point.)

Of course I'm not saying all Bollywood movies are awfull, some don't even feature musical numbers. But as for the most famous, stereotypical Bollywood musical extravaganza, not really my cup of tea.

jaywalker
20-05-08, 13:28
Am just getting started on em, so dont know names much yet

Saw Tashan other week, was fun.. oh and another one called, erm, a `Dream Team` remake

I think the ode to Hollywood is the charm of them. Knowing the original movies and seeing how its been interpretted is cool :)

As for the songs, i dont mind em at all :)

thanatos
20-05-08, 13:31
Just dug this out for you all:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XhGrA0KwkVg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XhGrA0KwkVg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Wouldn't call this an interpretation, it's closer to piracy, but you've got to laugh haven't you! It's not really hurting the Matrix or the Wachowski brothers at the end of the day.

JinSlayer
20-05-08, 14:02
Larapink: There are q a few bollywood films that are copies of hollywood films like thanatos said. But I think I was a bit harsh the way I phrased what I said so I'm sorry if I offended you

Larapink
20-05-08, 14:35
To be honest lets just celebrate Bollywood films for their creative ways in the film industry. Bollywood produces 200 films a month it is the biggest film industry in the world.

Jin it's okay. You haven't really offended me much, but there are a vast amount of Pakistani's that enjoy Indian films too.

JinSlayer
20-05-08, 14:45
Yes LP I know they do, but I just hate watching them tbh. Sitting in a room with family with zee tv on :hea:

Larapink
20-05-08, 14:51
Yes LP I know they do, but I just hate watching them tbh. Sitting in a room with family with zee tv on :hea:
There are quite a few action Bollywood films maybe you might be interested in those. How about Dhoom?

JinSlayer
20-05-08, 14:52
There are quite a few action Bollywood films maybe you might be interested in those. How about Dhoom?

Never heard of it darlin, is that a remake of Doom?

Larapink
20-05-08, 14:54
Never heard of it darlin, is that a remake of Doom?
No it's not that film, it has nothing to do with that film. It is an action film with Dhoom the main star in it is Hrithik Roshan.

Or How about Krrish?

There is a great list of Top Bollywood films on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_Bollywood_films

JinSlayer
20-05-08, 14:58
Sorry sweetheart I've never heard of it. I aint watched a bollywood movie since I was like 9 lol. I did used to love Amita Butchan (however u spell his name) when I was younger. He's pure class :tmb:

Larapink
20-05-08, 14:59
It's okay, I just thought you might be interested in Bollywood again. Oh and Star and B4U is better that Zee TV. :p

JinSlayer
20-05-08, 15:00
I only ever watch star sports sometimes, and that's only cuz they show premiership football :p

Larapink
20-05-08, 15:03
Haha. Thats mostly why you only watch Star.

Anyway I am so glad that there are people from other cultures and backgrounds enjoying Indian films. :):tmb:

Dark Lugia 2
20-05-08, 16:30
Ooooh I love em :D I really wanna see.. well I've seen my desired ones already :S LOL I love any with aishwarya in them :cln: I also LOVE Kahani Ghar Ghar Kii on star plus. :D :D

I've seen so many awsome ones but cant name a single one off the bat! XD Don's overrated imo, its good though :8} Om Shanti Om's awsome, oh, Black has a place on my most favorite films list :D and Provoked!

Ohh and I'm well, english but like half pakistani :p I dont see how that creates a barrier between you and bollywood films though :D I dont really like the old ones as much as the new ones (the new ones are so modern, and dont have the sterotypical woman in sari singing idea :p )

Little-Lara
20-05-08, 18:29
It's very invigorating to see other cultures make amazing films and music. very sweet to know that there's such artistic creativity around the world. While a few of the other war-ridden cultures make me sad, the Hindi culture makes me smile.

Larapink
20-05-08, 18:37
It's very invigorating to see other cultures make amazing films and music. very sweet to know that there's such artistic creativity around the world. While a few of the other war-ridden cultures make me sad, the Hindi culture makes me smile.
Agreed. But you mean Indian culture, because Hindi is a Language and Hinduism is a religion that both are parts of Indian culture. I hope you don't mind me correcting you.:o

Little-Lara
20-05-08, 18:52
Agreed. But you mean Indian culture, because Hindi is a Language and Hinduism is a religion that both are parts of Indian culture. I hope you don't mind me correcting you.:o

First I used to say "Indian" but then someone else told me i should say "Hindi" I guess it works both ways. :cln:
No i didn't mind.

Grenade
20-05-08, 19:13
I also LOVE Kahani Ghar Ghar Kii on star plus. :D :D

LOL, my mum watches that a lot. :p

Dark Lugia 2
20-05-08, 20:07
LOL, my mum watches that a lot. :p

Oooo :D have you ever watched it yourself? omg, I loved todays ep. :8} mega cliffhangers :C

Twilight
20-05-08, 22:37
i never really liked them. a lot of singing, sorta repetetive. my aunts have a lot of DVDs of them. even when i was younger i never really got that into it.

Grenade
21-05-08, 17:37
Oooo :D have you ever watched it yourself? omg, I loved todays ep. :8} mega cliffhangers :C
Yeah I watched it a few times. :p Not my cup of tea, but there's a heck of a lot of cliffhangers. XD

It's kinda funny at times too. :p

star girl
23-05-08, 17:40
Aww man... I remember those days... 1999 World Cup, Pakistan vs. Australia in finals where all the legends were in our team (Wasim, Waqar, Mushtaqs etc.) and I used to watch Kuch Kuch hota hay right after those matches... !!!! *sob*

I'm not a BIIIG Bollywood fan, and I am SICK of OM SHANTI OM - PLEASE, I guess the Hindu concept of " seven ressurrections" does not go well with me, but it was a bit too over-hyped, IMHO... The songs are nice though.. :)

JinSlayer
23-05-08, 17:45
This is why I don't like bollywood movies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_4C7TDyVfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Pjo0WjBcs&feature=related
I mean seriously...