PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad? (Weight issue)

rickybazire
20-05-08, 19:20
I did a weight test type thing on the 19th January 2008. I'm 6ft 5in and weighed 15st 7pounds, and my BMI was 28, (I think). The healthy BMI is 16-24.

On the 22nd January, I had my knee accident and I couldn't eat as much because I couldn't move around as much.

When I was back at school, I just didn't feel hungry so I didn't eat any break or lunch. Ended up only eating two slices of toast in the morning, and a dinner in the evening.

My weight went down to 12st 5pounds in the space of nearly 4 months. My BMI is now down to 21, healthy being 16-24.

All my friends are like giving me stuff to eat, but I just don't feel hungry.

I used to have quite a bit of flab on me...but now when I tense my muscles on my chest, they show...:D...which I suppose is kinda good.

What are your views?

Gregori
20-05-08, 19:23
Did you make this thread just to show off your new found muscles?

Chocolate
20-05-08, 19:24
Crash diets are never really a good thing (yeah, I know you aren't on one :p) but I guess what's done is done, and it's a good idea to eat healthily as well as maintaining your current weight. I hope your knee is better though! :hug:

BMI says I'm 18. o.o But apparently it's normal for oriental people to have slightly lower BMIs than others.

Dingaling
20-05-08, 19:26
Your loss of appetitie is worrying, deffo see a doctor about that. I mean it's okay to not feel hungry at times it happens to everyone especially at times of exams or weddings or if someone is in hospital but this seems a bit continous.

Well done on losing the weight though :). As Chocolate said even though you haven't done a crash diet the effects may be pretty similar so watch what you do eat because the pounds may pile on pretty quickly.

jamieoliver22
20-05-08, 19:26
Seems like the weight loss has done you good, but if I was you I should get back into the swing of eating more than just breakfast and a dinner. Try to eat something at lunch time, even if it isn't a lot - just something quick and healthy.

@Gregori - don't be an ass :pi:

domina
20-05-08, 19:30
I don't know if I'd say it's bad, but it likely won't last.

Anytime I've been really sick, like strep throat or the flu, I pretty much stop eating for the duration of the illness. Maybe have a cup of soup or tea to alleviate any pains. And then for a few weeks following, my appetite is almost non-existent, but as I start nibbling on things more and more, it goes back to how it usually is.

Sometimes even periods of dramatic change or stress influence my appetite for weeks on end, but eventually, I go back to how I was before.

The best thing you can do is to make sure you're getting enough calories for basic daily functions ('cause it will likely get to the point in which you're feeling very tired and lethargic from lack of nutrients) from healthy foods. It might even be a good time to start adjusting your diet to something healthier, provided you ate poorly before, and start a new habit to continue to maintain your new bod.

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-05-08, 19:34
My BMI is 17.8.

Last time I went to the doctor he said I was in excellent shape though. BMI charts are good generalized tools in some ways, but it has many flaws as well.

BTW, 16-24 isn't accurate with the BMI chart as the healthy range, it's actually 18.5- 24.9.

Not trying to correct you in a rude way, please don't take it like that. :p

rickybazire
20-05-08, 19:40
My BMI is 17.8.

Last time I went to the doctor he said I was in excellent shape though. BMI charts are good generalized tools in some ways, but it has many flaws as well.

BTW, 16-24 isn't accurate with the BMI chart as the healthy range, it's actually 18.5- 24.9.

Not trying to correct you in a rude way, please don't take it like that. :p

Naa it's alright.

Catlantean
20-05-08, 19:50
If you feel better and healthier now that you weigh less, keep it that way :)

EgyptianSoul
20-05-08, 19:51
My BMI is 19. I'm very skinny but I've always been that way and the doctors say I'm healthy. I can't put on weight no matter what I did, doctors say that it must be in the genetics. And since I'm fairly tiny, height only 162cm, i don't seem overly skinny.

jamieoliver22
20-05-08, 19:52

There are two different ranges for healthy BMI put forward by different, but respected, sources. The British Nutrition Foundation (http://www.nutrition.org.uk/information/dietandhealth/healthyweight.htm), for example, gives 20-25 as healthy range and less than 20 as underweight. The Food Standards Agency's BMI calculator (http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/healthiereating/are_you_healthyweight/bmi_calc) gives 18.5-25 as healthy and less than 18.5 as underweight. Cancer Research UK (http://www.newyearsresolutions.org/loseweight/bmicalculator.asp) gives both ranges in different sections of its website. It seems that we can be a bit relaxed about a BMI of between 18.5 and 20, and not start worrying about being underweight unless BMI is less than 18.5. Having said that, we would not recommend that anybody with a current BMI of less than 20 should try to lose weight.

:wve:

CroftScionGuard
20-05-08, 19:57
well, I'm getting 22 in the BMI, and I'm loosing more and more everyday, thanks to my efforts

Azerutan
20-05-08, 23:08
My BMI is 19. I'm very skinny but I've always been that way and the doctors say I'm healthy. I can't put on weight no matter what I did, doctors say that it must be in the genetics. And since I'm fairly tiny, height only 162cm, i don't seem overly skinny.
I'm just like you, but man with 1m74, I really look skinny, I just can't get fat.

oocladableeblah
20-05-08, 23:16
idk what my view is I don't really know what the conversion from stones to lbs is. All I know is your tall.

Admles
21-05-08, 04:00
BMI is complete rubbish because it does not take into account muscle.. any gymnast or sprinter would rate as overweight via BMI - some even rate obese

Aphrodite22
21-05-08, 16:28
i think ur BMI is fine : D

mine is 16,8

BMI is complete rubbish because it does not take into account muscle.. any gymnast or sprinter would rate as overweight via BMI - some even rate obese

yeah ppl with lots of muscles have the BMI very high