PDA

View Full Version : Skin Care Questions

Nausinous
22-05-08, 06:53
Okay I'm an absolute perfectionist so I have to know that when I'm doing my daily routine that I'm doing it right. So I did do my research before hand but don't seem to be getting a definate answer from the forums that turned up on google :p So I need to know do you shave, exfoliate and then moisturise or do you exfoliate, shave and then moisturise? Surely I should exfoliate after I shave to get rid of the oily shaving balm and loose hairs? I must say I'm confused and could do with some help if anyone doesn't mind assissting me :confused: Please :hug: Oh and feel discuss anything about Skin Care while your at it :ton:

RAID
22-05-08, 08:00
Personally, I avoid any kind of moisturiser, as they can cause acne. Especially if you have oily skin/hair, which still gets oil on your skin.

Was your face on a daily basis, and when shaving, make sure that the blade is not rusted or dirty. Also, careful while shaving not to press the blade too close to your face. Do not wash your face and shave right after, or vice versa. Give your skin some time to tone, like an hour or two.

Careful with oily food and try to eat healthy.

touchthesky
22-05-08, 08:02
If you moisterise after shaving ensure you don't use an alcohol or perfume based one. Because that baby will sting like a mofo.

MiCkiZ88
22-05-08, 08:12
Shaving: Never dry shave, nor shave against the grain unless you want ingrown hair, shaving bumps, rash and infected wounds. (did that for a long while)

Start by washing your face (not with regular soap, or just with water). That will soften the whiskers, and the warm water and steam will open up the pores. It would be great if you took an shower before shaving. Once your face is washed, add good shaving foam, or gel. The cheap stuff will dry out your face, so don't be picky about the foams. Do not use too much, nor too less foam, as that will only end up making the razor skip and clog, thus causing cuts and razor rash. Always shave with the grain, and if you need to take care of few hard spots, don't shave against the grain. Just repeat the face wash and foaming.
Note: if you have been shaving against the grain, it might take a few days or weeks for your skin to adjust to the new shaving method, so the shave might not be that close for a while. Your skin will look much better though.

After the shave, wash your face with cool/cold water. That will close the pores and making them less vulnerable for dirt. Use aftershave balm (none of those fancy smelly stuff, as they will further irritate the skin) to calm the possible irritation, and to protect from ingrown hairs. Lastly use moisturiser specially made for men's skin.

Other skin care tips:

Always wash your face with warm water and rinse the soap of with cool water.
Wash twice a day, or just before a shave.
Replace sugary drinks with water and juices. That will ease up the acne.
Sunlight can cure acne, but be sure to protect your skin. Personally tan bed does the same for me, though it dries it away.

george_croft
22-05-08, 08:13
Wash your face with warm water, shave, exfoliate, use a mild face tonic (if you wear any kind of concealer or makeup) and then moisturize.

I remember reading somewhere (i think it was a pamphlet from Nivea) that you should wash>shave>moisturize, but i reckon its complete bull**** since leaving shaving balm on the skin can't be good (its got lots of perfumes in it).

MiCkiZ88
22-05-08, 08:15
I remember reading somewhere (i think it was a pamphlet from Nivea) that you should wash>shave>moisturize, but i reckon its complete bull**** since leaving shaving balm on the skin can't be good (its got lots of perfumes in it).
Depends what kind of balm you use. I only use scentless shaving balm for very sensitive skin, and it works like magic. Gots no razor bumps, rash nor ingrown hair anymore.

george_croft
22-05-08, 08:26
Depends what kind of balm you use. I only use scentless shaving balm for very sensitive skin, and it works like magic. Gots no razor bumps, rash nor ingrown hair anymore.

Yup, but mine claims its for sensitive skin and it still has perfume in it. =l

LegenDarY
22-05-08, 08:42
Shaving: Never dry shave, nor shave against the grain unless you want ingrown hair, shaving bumps, rash and infected wounds. (did that for a long while)

Start by washing your face (not with regular soap, or just with water). That will soften the whiskers, and the warm water and steam will open up the pores. It would be great if you took an shower before shaving. Once your face is washed, add good shaving foam, or gel. The cheap stuff will dry out your face, so don't be picky about the foams. Do not use too much, nor too less foam, as that will only end up making the razor skip and clog, thus causing cuts and razor rash. Always shave with the grain, and if you need to take care of few hard spots, don't shave against the grain. Just repeat the face wash and foaming.
Note: if you have been shaving against the grain, it might take a few days or weeks for your skin to adjust to the new shaving method, so the shave might not be that close for a while. Your skin will look much better though.

After the shave, wash your face with cool/cold water. That will close the pores and making them less vulnerable for dirt. Use aftershave balm (none of those fancy smelly stuff, as they will further irritate the skin) to calm the possible irritation, and to protect from ingrown hairs. Lastly use moisturiser specially made for men's skin.

Other skin care tips:

Always wash your face with warm water and rinse the soap of with cool water.
Wash twice a day, or just before a shave.
Replace sugary drinks with water and juices. That will ease up the acne.
Sunlight can cure acne, but be sure to protect your skin. Personally tan bed does the same for me, though it dries it away.

Wow, that's exactly what I do.. every single step.. and it does really help. The irritation will go down to a minimum when I it like this.

You have been doing your research on the internet.. cause I've read this whole step by step thing as well. There is a site (I can remember you qouted that site before) that describes it step by step.

MiCkiZ88
22-05-08, 08:47
Yup, but mine claims its for sensitive skin and it still has perfume in it. =lNot sure what brand you use, but I have nivea shaving balm for very sensitive skin. It still smells a bit, but that might be just cause of the different ingredients.

Wow, that's exactly what I do.. every single step.. and it does really help. The irritation will go down to a minimum when I it like this.

You have been doing your research on the internet.. cause I've read this whole step by step thing as well. There is a site (I can remember you qouted that site before) that describes it step by step.Yep. I started looking at different sites for a week or two, and the best method was that. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the site. =/

LegenDarY
22-05-08, 08:50
Yep. I started looking at different sites for a week or two, and the best method was that. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the site. =/

Same thing I did.. I tried a few methods from differents sites.. untill I came across this one, it really does help.

I can't remember the site either, but I remember every single step. The washing your face with cold water after shaving really helps.. it calms the skin down.

Nausinous
22-05-08, 08:55
Cheers guys :eek: Really in depth :hug:

Ilves
22-05-08, 08:59
I recommend a daily intake of Omega-3 fatty acids. Keep it up for about 3 weeks and you'll notice an improvement of your skin all over.

And gentlemen, one shave a week is more than enough. Yay for facial hair! :D

Nausinous
22-05-08, 09:10
I recommend a daily intake of Omega-3 fatty acids. Keep it up for about 3 weeks and you'll notice an improvement of your skin all over.

And gentlemen, one shave a week is more than enough. Yay for facial hair! :D

I'll go buy some Omega-3 tablets from the store :D

petujaymz
22-05-08, 12:35
I haven't used soap to wash my face since the age of sixteen; I'm now twenty nine. It's worked for me. On a good day I look twenty three. I wet shave and blast my face with ice cold water before going to bed; that's about it.

:wve:

LaraLuvrrr
28-05-08, 18:02
Shave, exfoliate, cleanse, and then tone. I dont moisturize because it causes acne. Unless you use a purely benzol peroxide lotion... Exfoliate lightly because shaving already exfoliates in a way.