PDA

View Full Version : Diana Spencer

Naomichi
23-05-08, 09:02
I was going through one of the threads earlier when I noticed a post from Daventry, deploring the Royal family over Diana Spencer’s memorial.

Rather than drag that thread off topic, which wouldn’t have been fair to Raiderfun, I decided to open this one, because I’m interested to know what other’s opinions are on that subject.

As for me, I don’t blame the royal family in the slightest.

Ask yourself this, would YOU want a heaping big gravestone, surrounded by mewling mongoloids muttering about ‘the Queen of our hearts’, visible 24/7 outside the back of your house? A memorial that, by the way, puts to shame those of your own family?

Furthermore why should they care about Diana? How many families keep in touch to any great degree with the divorced husbands/wives of their offspring?

This virtual deification of Diana Spencer bugs the Hell out of me, especially when you consider that at around the same time Mother Theresa, who had genuinely done a huge amount of good, died as well, and there was nothing close to the same hysterical outpouring of grief.

On one had you had someone whose life was replete with good works, and on the other hand you had ‘Princess’ Di, who was, lest we forget, actually from an upper class family herself, hardly the ‘peoples Princess’, and appeared in any number of tawdry stories such as the absurd ‘squidgygate’ affair.

This is, as you may have become aware, one of my pet hates, and I was just wondering what everyone else’s opinions are.

Orionvalentine
23-05-08, 09:13
The whole Diana discussion and 'mass love' for her really gets to me, yes, she was a royal, yes she died in unfortunate circumstances. But why the heck people go to her memorial and CRY is beyond me! The public didn't know her, they had no connection to her. She is just another human being, given the deification treatment after she's dead.

People look to absurd ideas that she was murdered, just to shift the blame onto somebody, when in reality it was just an unfortunate accident. I'm just sick of hearing about her, seeing tonnes of books and documentaries churned out about the same story. Sometimes I wonder that humanity needs to get a grip. But this is just one opinion, don't let this sway the direction of the thread. Keep on topic guys and gals :)

myrmaad
23-05-08, 09:52
Furthermore why should they care about Diana? How many families keep in touch to any great degree with the divorced husbands/wives of their offspring?

I'd say most in my experience. It seems like it's been a long time since Diana died, funny, I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news, it was a terrible shock, and I'm American. For many of us who were of her generation, she was a treasure.

A little about me: I never buy gossip magazines, only pay peripheral attention to tabloid news, and believe hollywood is vastly overrated, but Diana was special.

bloodstormaoa
23-05-08, 10:11
The whole Diana discussion and 'mass love' for her really gets to me, yes, she was a royal, yes she died in unfortunate circumstances. But why the heck people go to her memorial and CRY is beyond me! The public didn't know her, they had no connection to her. She is just another human being, given the deification treatment after she's dead.

People look to absurd ideas that she was murdered, just to shift the blame onto somebody, when in reality it was just an unfortunate accident. I'm just sick of hearing about her, seeing tonnes of books and documentaries churned out about the same story. Sometimes I wonder that humanity needs to get a grip. But this is just one opinion, don't let this sway the direction of the thread. Keep on topic guys and gals :)

Totally agree with you there :tmb:

Real Life Raider
23-05-08, 10:34
why the heck people go to her memorial and CRY is beyond me! The public didn't know her, they had no connection to her. She is just another human being, given the deification treatment after she's dead.

It seems to be fashionable in the current age to jump on the emotional bandwagon as soon as a high media-profile death or murder takes place.

I remember when Holly Wells & Jessica Chapman were murdered (which was horrible) our local supermarket opened a book of condolence.....why? We live 150 miles from them and never knew them.

I believe Boris Johnson got into a lot of trouble over this very subject, not Diana particularly but a similar over reaction.

touchthesky
23-05-08, 12:01
It's okay saying that people aren't really upset but at the same time there will be those that she touched who didn't know her. There will be people that she "helped" in some way or another. Whether just by being herself or something she said.

myrmaad
23-05-08, 12:08
It seems to be fashionable in the current age to jump on the emotional bandwagon as soon as a high media-profile death or murder takes place.

I remember when Holly Wells & Jessica Chapman were murdered (which was horrible) our local supermarket opened a book of condolence.....why? We live 150 miles from them and never knew them.

I believe Boris Johnson got into a lot of trouble over this very subject, not Diana particularly but a similar over reaction.

Frankly I don't know who those people are, but I resent your implicated accusation that I'm a lemming. It seems fashionable, to me, to be moronic.