PDA

View Full Version : As this ever happened to you?

zappo3000
24-05-08, 10:41
you here about something that you have never heard of before or havent heard of for ages, and then in the same day you here about it again. as this ever happened to anyone here?

MrBear
24-05-08, 10:49
And yes, I have tried that numerous times, but just think about how many words we hear, or rather how much input we take in, every day - it's bound to happen.. I fail to see why it's a big deal, though :)

zappo3000
24-05-08, 10:51
^because its more than coincedence for me now

Bastet
24-05-08, 10:51
Yes, this has happened to me loads of time before (although I'm struggling to think of an example now)! It makes me wonder, was I just not paying attention before, and whatever it was was always commonly (and I'm just 'aware' of it now) or is it just one of those weird coincidences?

MrBear
24-05-08, 10:53
^because its more than coincedence for me now

How can it be more than coincidence? Please elaborate, it's difficult to understand when you're vague :)

Drone
24-05-08, 10:54
happens everyday

zappo3000
24-05-08, 11:03
How can it be more than coincidence? Please elaborate, it's difficult to understand when you're vague :)

ok, an example...

at school i was in ict and was looking at tour locations for a band that i like.
one of the locations was perth in australia-perth isnt a place that i hear about everyday and i had notheard about it in a long while.
anyway, later that night i was watching t.v and the adverts came on- there was an advert(that i had never seen before in my life) for perth,australia.

another example...

again in school, my teacher used the letters X Y Z to represent something that could be said by someone. i had not really heard anyone use this before.
later that day i heard it again from someone else(on the t.v i think).

remote91
24-05-08, 11:08
It's not uncommon, really. Just coincidence like Mr Bear said.

MrBear
24-05-08, 11:11
[...]-perth isnt a place that i hear about everyday and i had notheard about it in a long while.[...]

Ah, I see now :) well, to be honest I do think you've heard Perth more recently than you think, you probably just didn't remember hearing it.. Just think about the amount of words you hear every day: it should be obvious to you that our brain cannot store information about every noun we hear every day... But then you checked out that band and you saw the location Perth - and because you're interested in the band, your brain deemed it worth remembering! And so, it was only a matter of coincidence that some other input corresponded to something you chose to remember...

In other words, I bet the same thing would happen if you'd remembered, I don't know, the word 'Middleterranean'.. Whether today, tomorrow or next year, at some point you'd have the exact same experience..

Trust me, it is coincidence and it's bound to happen again, I can assure you :)

Kerrigan
24-05-08, 11:15
Yes, it happens to me all the time.One day I learn a new word or I find out about something I hadn't heard of before, and then everyone keeps using that word or keeps talking about it.And it's not only about things that you see on the news, they might also be old, completely random things.

MrBear
24-05-08, 11:20
One day I learn a new word or I find out about something I hadn't heard of before, and then everyone keeps using that word or keeps talking about it.

Again, you just remember hearing those words, if you hadn't learnt the new word in question you would subconsciously disregard it :)

Kerrigan
24-05-08, 13:59
Probably, because there has to be an expanation.I just described the way it felt.

patriots88888
24-05-08, 14:42
Deja Vu? Happens to me all the time. Happens to me all the time. :p

Greenkey2
24-05-08, 14:43
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=108819

Thanks.