PDA

View Full Version : "wet rooms" - this is disturbingly wrong!


andromeda_eats
01-09-03, 04:07
i was just reading the newspaper and was shocked to discover that sydney is introducing underage drinking rooms or "wet rooms." apparently underage drinking is such a problem on the streets that these wet rooms will allow underagers and CHILDREN to drink "safely" without police interference. ahem. children as young as 12 are expected to show up.
i am appalled. my sister is 16 and i think she is too young let alone a 12 year old!! if underage drinking is such a problem then this is so not going to solve it. i am so shocked.

does this happen in other countries????

Ihavenoname
01-09-03, 04:10
I think that's absolutely disgusting. And it won't solve the problem at all...

neil4768
01-09-03, 08:51
Totally wrong if its a bar like place what is need is a culture like the French have were you are brought up with alcohol, from an early age, with your meals so that you respect it.

Any how how are they getting the alcohol, from shops?, these are the poeple the police need to be getting tough with.

julialee
01-09-03, 09:52
Oh, what is the world coming to when this sort of thing is happening in our towns and citys :mad:
To think that my kids are going to grow up in this society lead by drink and drugs :rolleyes:
I wonder if I have done the right thing by bringing them into this world of ours :(
Why are we not trying to educate our kids to respect alcohol, not to let them get away with drinking at sutch a young age.
You would think that a lovely place like Australia
would have a grip on it's social drinking problem.
Here in the UK, drugs and alcohol seem to be a young persons way of life. ( only my oppinion)
:(

the croft woman!
01-09-03, 12:09
Im 16 and i do get drunk with mates some times, but i totaly disagree with this. I wouldnt disagree so much if the youngest was say 16, but at 12 years old! This kind of club is going to incourage them, and god knows how they will turn out at an older age!
I hope to god this club dont last!

Titanium
01-09-03, 12:14
Im 14 and i do drink but not to much so i get drunk.
lol imagine if a 7 year old asked for a beer

AndrewII
01-09-03, 12:18
What next, 7 year old kids puffing on cigs? Things like this is truely wrong.

NatEcho
01-09-03, 13:14
I know someone who became an alcoholic at age 11 or so... "trouble at home" was the cause.

Sadly, this has become almost a fashion here... Really young people get really drunk almost every weekend "just to fit in"... It's outrageous! I agree with Neil, you should be brought up with it in a way that makes you understand what it does and why so that you respect it! I always had the "approval" from my parents to have a glass of something if I wanted to, as long as I had it at home - with them! Today I never drink! Maybe once every three years at most!

If society is to stop this epidemic, parents (or whoever you live with) have to get involved at an early age! Kids need to know that you can have quite a good time even if you're sober and "as a bonus" you even get to remember what you did when you wake up the next day!!! ;)

Starting up "wet rooms" is not the right way to approach this problem!

neil4768
01-09-03, 13:28
Nat

I was allowed a glass of wine with my food from about the age of 10 with a meal you've got to respect alcohol, I know I like a drink or 2, as you will see from other threads, I never get totally drunk to the extent of not knowing what I am doing. Its down the parents of these children not knowing what they ae doing or trying to blame others, see other threads for my views on that. When I was that young I know it seemed a pain at the time I had to tell my parents were I was and what I was going to do and what time I would be home, like most of my peers at the time, and yes they did check up on me, thank god that they did care enough about me.

The Croft Woman why do you feel the need to get drunk is it because your peers do? rise above them at your age they is plenty to do, definitlty more than what I had, without the need for getting drunk.

Jules you right there is too much drink and drugs available you just have to listen to the kids, what is the world coming to? Tough love is the best love.

Sorry to sound off a bit but these things effect us all and I don't mind to sound like an old fart.

TRChik
01-09-03, 14:25
im 16, i don't drink, but i do find underaged drinking is a big problem for people my age... even younger.

but, in places where there is no legal drinking age, there is less abuse of it because people can do it and not feel like they are rebelling and breaking the law.

Draco
01-09-03, 15:34
Well, I dun drink or smoke http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yuck.gif ...

I'm of the opinion that if it's illegal for people under a certain age, why should it be legal for people over that age...

neil4768
01-09-03, 15:49
Originally posted by Draco:
Well, I dun drink or smoke http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yuck.gif ...

I'm of the opinion that if it's illegal for people under a certain age, why should it be legal for people over that age...Hows the drivers licence Draco?

Sage
01-09-03, 17:37
I was smoking at 7 and drinking heavily at 12. By 16, was an alchoholic and full blown drug addict. At 19 and again six months after getting out, was back in. At 22, rehab. Why???
Because of the people I associated myself with. I am 31, and not the same B###H I was. If you hang out with bad people, you will do bad things.
Kids need self esteem and a feeling of security. NOT a place for letting them sink more into self destructiveness. :(

Harryu
01-09-03, 20:00
Originally posted by Sage:
I was smoking at 7 and drinking heavily at 12. By 16, was an alchoholic and full blown drug addict. At 19 and again six months after getting out, was back in. At 22, rehab. Why???
Because of the people I associated myself with. I am 31, and not the same B###H I was. Glad to hear you came through it in one piece; did you do it by yourself or with professional help?

Aza

Ocean-Sirius
01-09-03, 20:18
I am nineteen and the culture where I am is that adults and young people feel clubs and getting drunk are the essentials to have fun. I don't believe in getting drunk, although I do drink and I forbid myself to smoke. I don't want your pity or anything but you are probably aware that I find a surplus of intolerance where I live and I can tell you that some people (usually young people) have given me abuse because I refuse to live by the "right" culture.

All many people talk about is "how mashed they got last night." I myself was allowed a drink from an early age and I still enjoy a drink now but I don't feel the need to overdo it. I always like to be in control so getting drunk would scare me anyway. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif That is part the reason why I can't enjoy the culture I live amongst...I have a mind of my own and people cannot take it.

As part of my voluntary work, I am around some people who have drink problems and you should see the states that they are in...they shake uncontrollably and I feel sad for those who feel they HAVE to abuse substances to be happy. It is worse for the people I'm working with, as they are on medication of one kind or another. Sage, congratulations for beating alcoholism. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I am against the idea of "wet rooms" too but on the other hand, if adults keep telling them it's "naughty" then won't they want to drink more? It could be similar to a naughty puppy who does bad when he's getting the attention but when realising he isn't causing a stir gives up his behaviour. You got to ask yourself how youngsters end up with booze at a young age to start with.

neil4768
01-09-03, 20:24
Originally posted by Ocean-Sirius:
I am nineteen and the culture where I am is that adults and young people feel clubs and getting drunk are the essentials to have fun. I don't believe in getting drunk, although I do drink and I forbid myself to smoke. I don't want your pity or anything but you are probably aware that I find a surplus of intolerance where I live and I can tell you that some people (usually young people) have given me abuse because I refuse to live by the "right" culture.

All many people talk about is "how mashed they got last night." I myself was allowed a drink from an early age and I still enjoy a drink now but I don't feel the need to overdo it. I always like to be in control so getting drunk would scare me anyway. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif That is part the reason why I can't enjoy the culture I live amongst...I have a mind of my own and people cannot take it.

As part of my voluntary work, I am around some people who have drink problems and you should see the states that they are in...they shake uncontrollably and I feel sad for those who feel they HAVE to abuse substances to be happy. It is worse for the people I'm working with, as they are on medication of one kind or another. Sage, congratulations for beating alcoholism. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I am against the idea of "wet rooms" too but on the other hand, if adults keep telling them it's "naughty" then won't they want to drink more? It could be similar to a naughty puppy who does bad when he's getting the attention but when realising he isn't causing a stir gives up his behaviour. You got to ask yourself how youngsters end up with booze at a young age to start with.Good on you a sensible head on young shoulders and you final paragraph is so true

andromeda_eats
02-09-03, 01:02
when they first brought in safe herion injecting rooms i kind of understood the reasoning in that, so they can stop the spread of AIDS and look after addicts so they dont OD and die, but this drinking buisness is a load of bull and i am so against it. its just so wrong!!

Draco
02-09-03, 06:31
Originally posted by neil4768:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Draco:
Well, I dun drink or smoke http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yuck.gif ...

I'm of the opinion that if it's illegal for people under a certain age, why should it be legal for people over that age...Hows the drivers licence Draco?</font>[/QUOTE]I knew someone would say that...

Smoking and drinking by themselves don't become dangerous, but a novice and immature driver is dangerous...

And it harm none, do as ye will...

Sage
02-09-03, 10:07
Thank you Draco, well said. It is in maturity that you will find responsibility.

To AZA: I lost a wonderful friend that year in a bizarre accident that involved drinking, underage, and lost 3 more later that year. Enough of a wake up call. I did it with the help of friends and family.

The hardest part is forgiving yourself. I spend my time with younger children, and let them know without being pushy the dangers of this situation. All my friends drank at very early ages, and now, we counsel our children in the responsible ways to drink.