PDA

View Full Version : Got any good books to reccomend?

satombraider
01-09-03, 20:07
Hi.I would strongly reccomend "River God" by Wilbur Smith.
The whole book has been translated from 10 ancient scrolls that they found in a tomb dating back 4000 years.A piece of plaster broke away while the were examining the walls and inside they found these scrolls in a alabastor jar, written by a slave called Taita(I'm not talking rubbish I promise).This story is excellent and exciting!I highly reccomend everybody who loves Tomb Raider to read this book!!!! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/privateeye.gif

Genocide
01-09-03, 20:13
i recomend that you read "a child called it" it's a really depressing book-its a biograpy of a guy who-when was a child was beaten and tortured by his mother....very depressing-how could people treat a child like that??

neil4768
01-09-03, 20:20
The Lord of the Rings triology I read that about 15 years ago for the first time and after the Fellowship of the Ring was released, Along book but very good As far as I am concerned the film does a job of following the book

Genocide
01-09-03, 20:22
before you read the trilogy-read the hobbit-it explains everything properly....

St. Anger
01-09-03, 20:24
"Without Remorse" - Tom Clancy

its awesome!! ;)

Pinguicha
01-09-03, 20:27
I recmmend Sabriel by Garth Nix or His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. They're very good, though Sabriel is not veeeery proper for my age... but I read it, and for my surprise I enjoyed it http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif !

rogue_eclipse
01-09-03, 20:31
AH nice post SA tombraider!

I will indeed check out River God by Wilbur Smith! Thank you for the tip.

For all the romantics out there. I recommend Jane Eyre for the women (by Jane Austin) and The Keeper of the Crystal spring (by Naomi and Deborah Bultuck)

If you like ancient egypt then one of my favorites (although I don,t think guys would be too interested) is called House of Dreams by Pauline Gedge.

For those of you who like fantasy a good one is called The Stone and the Maiden and it is sort of like the Lord of the Rings. VERY VERY interesting and suspenseful. four out of Five stars.

Anyone else have any reccommendations? This is a great topic. Again Bravo to the one who started it!
Rogue http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/mischievous.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

satombraider
01-09-03, 20:34
Thanks!

satombraider
01-09-03, 20:35
P.S If you read it please tell me what you think!

neil4768
01-09-03, 20:36
Originally posted by Genocide:
before you read the trilogy-read the hobbit-it explains everything properly....I did its ahme they did not make that into a flim befroe realsing LOTR triolgy as you say it does answer quite a lot of questions

Marcus T
01-09-03, 20:44
I'd recommend Steve Alten's "Meg", a very suspensful thriller. Kind of in the same style as "Jaws". Meg is short for the latin "Megalodon Carcharodon" which is a prehistoric shark, there are fossiles and remains of it still in existence. It is well written and suspensful indeed.

stephaniedp
01-09-03, 20:47
Fall On Your Knees by Anne-Marie MacDonald

and

Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. These are AWESOME, no wonder I am writing my PhD on them!!! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

In order of publication:

Interview with the Vampire
The Vampire Lestat
The Queen of the Damned
The Tale of the Body Thief
Memnoch the Devil
The Vampire Armand
Merrick
Blood and Gold
Blackwood Farm

Blood Canticle (expected to be the last one, out in the Fall!!!)

shandroid
01-09-03, 20:55
I really liked The Nanny Diaries. A bit lighter reading than the above suggestions, but hey! I am a busy Mom!!

And SA Tombraider, I really like your avatar!! And your book suggestion.

rogue_eclipse
01-09-03, 21:24
SA tombraider: Yes I will tell you as soon as I start reading it. I'll either post something or send you a private message.

I didn't like fall on your knees- not my cup of tea and then with that whole lesbianism thing. It just wasn't my style. I didn't finish it.

Opps! I think I said Jane Austin as being the writer for Jane Eyre. It'S actually Emily Bronté (I think) Can't remember right now.

Tom CLancey... Well I've got lots to say about him but I'll keep my mouth shut for once. ALL I can say is that his book and me- we don't understand eack other. Heheh But I got to admit it he makes very well thought out plots. I tried reading Sum of All fears and The Chamber but they deal with lots of leagal/political/cop like plots that are not really my type.

Oh The Vasmpire Chronicles! Yey Lestat! He'S my favorite. Has anyone seen Queen of the damned? It's pretty good and Stuart Townsend plays him wonderfully. He has such a great bod. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/flirt.gif

Bye all talk to ya all tomorrow. Rogue http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/mischievous.gif

TombRaiderfreaky
01-09-03, 21:29
Steph, have you read the Sleeping Beauty Chronicles of Anne Rice? I would suggest that you read them if you enjoy a very *sensual* novel. Its under the pseudonym A.N. Roquelare.

Anyways i suggest Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg. amazing book!

St. Anger
01-09-03, 21:33
Hey Rogue eclipse http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif ,

I agree Tom Clancy's books are very political and confusing, but that is why "Without Remorse" is so good - it isn't that political, tho it does have the vietnam war in it.
Also it doesn't involve Jack Ryan - the usual main character of his novels - its a great book about revenge - definately a classic and too epic to be a movie - and probably too dark too!!

stephaniedp
01-09-03, 21:58
Originally posted by TombRaiderfreaky:
Steph, have you read the Sleeping Beauty Chronicles of Anne Rice? I would suggest that you read them if you enjoy a very *sensual* novel. Its under the pseudonym A.N. Roquelare.

Anyways i suggest Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg. amazing book!Yes I know everything about her production :D :D :D

Isabella
01-09-03, 23:13
One Thousand Years of Solitude
Love in The Time of Cholera both by Gabriel Garcia

Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Outer Banks by Anne Rivers Siddons

St. Anger
01-09-03, 23:19
"Fatherland", "Enigma" and "Archangel" by Robert Harris

TombRaiderfreaky
01-09-03, 23:28
well steph, did you read them????? i highly recommend them, since unlike most sensual novels out there, it actually has a plot, but its quite complex. But if you've read any Anne Rice books (i've read 8, including the 3 Sleeping Beauty books) then you'll know that they're all complex. ;)

andromeda_eats
02-09-03, 01:10
phillip pullmans dark materials triology is AWESOME!!! i loved it! but my favourite author is Matthew Reilly he is an Aussie author
and my fav series of books, and the ones im still trying to finish at the mo is Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan. it is the ultimate fantasy series...everyone should read them. there are 13 books though so it is a struggle.....

Flipper1987
02-09-03, 01:11
What a great topic!

Some of my fav. non-literature books:

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum (MUCH BETTER than the movie)

FLIPPER

TRChik
02-09-03, 01:31
either The Bone Collector, The Empty Chair, The Coffin Dancer, or The Stone Monkey. they are all by Jeffery Deaver :D those are my personal favorties http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Jeffery Deaver is brilliant!

TRChik
02-09-03, 01:32
oh! and Mystic River by Dennis LeHane http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

satombraider
02-09-03, 09:59
Originally posted by shandroid:
I really liked The Nanny Diaries. A bit lighter reading than the above suggestions, but hey! I am a busy Mom!!

And SA Tombraider, I really like your avatar!! And your book suggestion.Thanks! :D

Sage
02-09-03, 10:31
There is a great series by Diana Gabaldon involving Scotland, time travel, romance, action, true historic facts and great history. There are three so far, possibly four. Highly recomend. And for the Wizard of Oz fans, a great book called Wicked, the Life and Times of the wicked witch of the west. A little slow, really have to pay attention. But good. I think Rober Maguire is the author. he also wrote a book on Sleeping Beauty called Step sister i think.

tippucat
02-09-03, 21:47
MY obvious choice would be the Hobbit and LOTR but also (acknowledgely hard going), Silmirillion. That really puts the other two books into context. Stephen King: The Dark Tower series. Brilliant! Fifth book out next month.

I like Tom Clancy, read most of them. Also like James Clavell's 'Japenese' series ie Shogun, etc. Nelson De Mille: writes a ripping good yarn.

You've found my weakness! I read everything and anything. What especial genre do you like, SA Tombraider?

John Falstaff
02-09-03, 22:15
Tippucat,

Have you read, what's your opinion of, 'The Unfinished Tales' (volumes 1-n)?

satombraider
03-09-03, 10:33
I love science fiction novels!But in River Gods case I made an exeption.I say again, that book is brilliant! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif

Sage
03-09-03, 10:39
I love stephen King, I have read most of his books, but stopped after Jareds game. I read the Gunslinger trio and got to Wizards and Glass and never finished it. For one reason, I am really mad that he keeps dragging previous charachters into his new novels.
I was loving Wizards until the references (At the end) to a previous co-written book with Peter Straub. This angered me to no end. I am all for a great book, i usually read 3 or more at the same time, but, I don't want to read about charachters I know died in an earlier book. he did the same thing in Needful things. He used the same charachters from a previous story.
Sorry, i had to vent that. Thank you for listening to my useless babble.

BunnyGirl
03-09-03, 11:25
Oh, what a great topic!!

I love books, especially horror books. Here are a few of my personal favourites.

Stephen King:
IT
Needful Things
Misery
The Tommyknockers
All have been made into films, but the books are still way better.

Dean Koontz:
Fear Nothing
Seize The Night
Lightening
Midnight
The Bad Place
Whispers

Simon Clark:
Vampyrrhic
King Blood
Darker
Blood Crazy

Richard Laymon:
One Rainy Night
In The Dark- My all time favourite
Body Rides

James Herbert:
The Fog-Much better than the film
Fluke- Named my own dog after this wonderful character. Also made into a film.
The Dark
The Magic Cottage

And lastly, my all time favourite author

Clive Barker:
Everything he's ever written.

:D

Sage
03-09-03, 12:25
Hey Bunny girl, try Dean Koontz, Door to December, From the corner of his eye, and One door away from Heaven.

Agathie Christie is a fav of mine. I have 300 books, some first additions. Not a fan, am I.

Another Good book is 'The Celestine Prophecy' by James Redfield.

BunnyGirl
03-09-03, 12:33
Oh!!! :eek:
Thanks Sage for the reminder.

I've already read 'From the corner of his eye', I can't believe I forgot to include that one, what a great book!

I'm about to start on 'One door away from Heaven' next.

And I'll definately be giving 'Door to December' a try sometime soon.

tippucat
03-09-03, 20:02
Originally posted by Sage:
I was loving Wizards until the references (At the end) to a previous co-written book with Peter Straub. This angered me to no end. I am all for a great book, i usually read 3 or more at the same time, but, I don't want to read about charachters I know died in an earlier book.Hey Sage, isn't it funny how different things affect different people! It is the exact interweaving of stories, characters and themes from his other novels that he has used in his 'Gunslinger' books that kept me going. It certainly works for me in this series. 'Wolves of Callas' is out in October and I shall be scratching at Waterstones doors!

Sir 'J', I read 'Unfinished Tales' many, many moons ago. I do not have my own copy as I do LOTR, Hobbit and Silmirillion. Did you spot my post about 'Entmoot'? Well worth a visit if you're a devotee.

Is anyone into Arthurian legend? I have read many different books by different authors on the Arthurian legend. My favourites are by Mary Stewart. I also like T.H.White's interpretation. Tolkein did a take on 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'.