PDA

View Full Version : Coldplay's Plagiarism Song

ECB
21-06-08, 21:48
Coldplay's Plagiarism Song
Friday, 20 June 2008, 1:14 pm
Press Release: LawFuel

Coldplay's Plagiarism Song - A YouTube Fabrication Or Another Viral Hit?

www.LawFuel.co.nz

Coldplay were on a roll - a new album going to No 1, 300,000 sales in three days, concert sellouts and now this! A damn plagiarism claim from a band called Creaky Boards. Who ever heard of Creaky Boards anyway? They issued the standard categorical denial of allegations that they copied the title track to their new record, Viva La Vida Or Death and All His Friends.

In a video posted on the video-sharing website YouTube, Andrew Hoepfner, Creaky Boards' singer and songwriter, claimed that the melody of Coldplay's song, "Viva La Vida", is pinched from a track he wrote last year called, ironically, "The Songs I Didn't Write".

He blamed Chris Martin for the alleged artistic theft, saying that Coldplay's frontman attended a Creaky Boards concert in New York last year. The clip, which was first posted on Sunday, rapidly went viral. By last night, it had been watched by nearly 300,000 people, many thousands of whom had typed comments remarking upon the various similarities between the two tracks. In an industry where even small chord sequences can become subject of costly copyright disputes, allegations of plagiarism are as potentially damaging to a musician's finances as they are to their reputation.

Maybe it's just clever marketing. Hoepfner's video clip has succeeded in gaining a new following for his band, and was driving traffic to their MySpace page. The YouTube video concludes: "I wish Coldplay the best of luck. If they ever want to collaborate, I've got some microphones we could use in my bedroom."

ENDS

Source (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0806/S00195.htm)

tesorosbaby
21-06-08, 21:50
pffft

Vertigo
21-06-08, 21:55
Talk about plagiarism, mister Martin? Radiohead? U2? What else? I hate this idiot with his weird teeth. His band had a friendship with U2 ( if stoling the songs is friendship) and NOW Martin says things like "Bono is so dumb, U2 songs are nothing!" Watch your mouth, plagiatrix!

Titanium
21-06-08, 22:44
That video shows no comparison, its just the iTunes advert for the new album.

stereopathic
21-06-08, 22:46
if new order lost their lawsuit against the cure over "the walk" copying "blue monday," then there's no such thing as plagiarism in music.

*but the vid seriously is just an ad.

Dakaruch
21-06-08, 22:51
Either if it is plagiarism or not, it seems obvious that this band would take this opportunity to score some money. After all Coldplay are getting lots of success and lots of money as well, so it was only a question of time before some of those opportunistic bands showed up.
Probably it will end with Coldplay continuing their success like if nothing ever happened, and that little band not scoring any money at all...

Encore
21-06-08, 23:16
It's so unfair. A small bands get ****ed on by a bigger band and people call them opportunists. There's just no winning with these greedy money making *******s.

I hate Coldplay. :hea:

Lenochka
21-06-08, 23:24
It makes me laugh when little bands have to scream "Plagiarism!" to latch onto the fame of a song that is currently doing well the on the charts and shiz, Its also rather funny that he mentions that he seen Martin at a performance they did... um, proof please? Apparently Martin on that night that he supposedly was at there concert was in London in the studio working on the album, how is it possible to be in 2 places at once? :vlol: Oh, and get this, The coldplay song was written 7 months and demo'd before that performance Chris Martin supposedly attended.. Was listening to the story on the radio, they brought up statements and facts and discussed it for a few minutes.
Anyways... I listened to the comparison and It sounds a wee bit similar in a few parts but don't all songs sound a bit like others at times? I mean come on, It's just to ironic that they decide to bring this out when the song starts doing really well.

Dakaruch
21-06-08, 23:31
Creaky Boards version
eUhFLiw6h6s

Coldplay version
BrrwWhDsCoU

It sounds similar at some parts, but it seems highly convenient that Creaky Boards strike now. If the song was not successful material, they would never say that it was plagiarism...

Real Life Raider
21-06-08, 23:43
Indeed.

Plagiarism in music is often difficult to prove, from a legal point of view.

Talking of legal, please remember that allegations have to be proven and we all have a responsibility to TRF to keep our comments litigation-free!

:)

Dakaruch
21-06-08, 23:48
Talking of legal, please remember that allegations have to be proven and we all have a responsibility to TRF to keep our comments litigation-free!

:)

Well i don't think that anyone here is making any accusations towards either Coldplay or Creaky Boards. After all we are only expressing our opinions! :)

Real Life Raider
21-06-08, 23:50
we are only expressing our opinions! :)

Yes I know Dak, I just didn't want anyone to go too far and get into trouble :)

Encore
21-06-08, 23:56
It sounds similar at some parts, but it seems highly convenient that Creaky Boards strike now. If the song was not successful material, they would never say that it was plagiarism...

That's ridiculous. This band could only know about this song now that the album is released. Duh.

george_croft
22-06-08, 00:03
It's so unfair. A small bands get ****ed on by a bigger band and people call them opportunists. There's just no winning with these greedy money making *******s.

Agreed.

I'm getting tired of huge artists copying unsigned artists and bands. Its insulting, and horrible, that's what it is. Now IF the lead singer from Coldplay saw that show, and stole the song, then he should REALLY be ashamed of himself. Having someone copy your art really hurts, especially if you're using it to gain millions of dollars. Seriously, did he think the band would never hear the song? Pfft, what a dumbass. :rolleyes:

Dakaruch
22-06-08, 00:11
And why are you saying that those guys were victims of plagiarism? Honestly i've heard the two versions of the song, and sure it has some similar things on it, but i don't see plagiarism there.

And don't forget about what Lenochka said, "Oh, and get this, The coldplay song was written 7 months and demo'd before that performance Chris Martin supposedly attended..". So if this is true, which i'm not saying it is, i don't see any plagiarism at all. Of course that if Coldplay are guilty, then they should be ashamed, and pay for it, but it is yet too soon to say that Coldpay copied those guys song.

@Encore-What i was saying was that if the music wasn't such a big hit, like it became, then Creaky Boards would never strike like they did. After all they only said that it was plagiarism after the song started appearing on TV and on websites like youtube. ;)

Dingaling
22-06-08, 00:13
Dakaruch - they probably wouldn't scream plagiarism because they would never have heard of it most likely. And if they did they probably would still scream as Coldplay are well-known and it would get their band publicity.

Encore
22-06-08, 00:35
Even if it's legally plagiarism or not - and I seriously doubt it is because a small band doesn't stand a chance against big entertainment - Coldplay don't have a single shred of ORIGINALITY in them so they go and steal people's reefs and style. It's a fact.
Just like the assassination they did to Kraftwerk's "Computer Love" with their horrible single "Talk" (yes it was licensed, I'm just saying it SUCKS).

Simply put, even if this goes nowhere I hope people realise how bland and unimaginative Coldplay really are.

ECB
22-06-08, 00:40
How does Coldplay have no originality? I love a lot of their songs from their new album.

One to his own I guess.

OT: I love The Killers, btw!

Encore
22-06-08, 00:57
^ I think Coldplay made some good songs with their first album but then became repetitive and lost ideas, that's all I'm saying.. :o

Glad to see a fellow Killers fan though :tmb:

Real Life Raider
22-06-08, 01:03
Glad to see a fellow Killers fan though :tmb:

Another one here! :wve:

Encore
22-06-08, 01:15
Another one here! :wve:

Really?? You should have told me already :D *highfive*

digitizedboy
22-06-08, 01:42
I know nothing about this topic whatsoever, as I don't listen to Coldplay anymore. But weren't some of their songs classics anyway? I mean "clocks" and stuff? Maybe they're just making money from inspiration rather than copyright? I dunno... It's allowed isn't it?

Feather Duster
22-06-08, 01:43
Actually, in my opinion, plagiarism is when the words are exactly the same ( including the melody ) How come Miley wasn't accused of plagiarism when her song rockstar sounded a little similar to another bands song, ( I can't remember the name of the band, but the riffs sounded the same )

Neteru
22-06-08, 01:53
"All artists are thieves".

ECB
22-06-08, 01:57
Also, what about Rhianna's song "SOS". It has the background of Tainted Love.

digitizedboy
22-06-08, 01:57
Actually, in my opinion, plagiarism is when the words are exactly the same ( including the melody ) How come Miley wasn't accused of plagiarism when her song rockstar sounded a little similar to another bands song, ( I can't remember the name of the band, but the riffs sounded the same )

Well if it's Coldplay, who cares anyway, everyone will realise and stop buying their albums. lol. I mean, they're only trying to gain attention again anyway because no one listens to them anymore. lol.

I dunno, never did like Chris Martin, prat. lol

Who is Miley btw?

Real Life Raider
22-06-08, 02:00
Also, what about Rhianna's song "SOS". It has the background of Tainted Love.

That was a sample, used with permission.

And Tainted Love by Soft Cell was in itself a cover version also used with permission.

ECB
22-06-08, 02:02
That was a sample, used with permission.

And Tainted Love by Soft Cell was in itself a cover version also used with permission.

Oh, got me there.

Me= OWNED... :p

Encore
22-06-08, 02:09
Ahah :vlol:
Tainted Love is COOL. The Soft Cell version anyways. What is the original??

Feather Duster
22-06-08, 02:13
"All artists are thieves".

That is true, take a look at rap, every other word is shawty or a harty haha, and most rap artists take lyrics from other artists. :rolleyes:

digitizedboy
22-06-08, 02:20
Ahah :vlol:
Tainted Love is COOL. The Soft Cell version anyways. What is the original??

Google it. lol

Encore
22-06-08, 02:21
That is true, take a look at rap, every other word is shawty or a harty haha, and most rap artists take lyrics from other artists. :rolleyes:

Rappers aren't artists :p

ECB
22-06-08, 02:22
Don't litter, throw away the rappers. :p

Feather Duster
22-06-08, 02:23
Don't litter, throw away the rappers. :p

:vlol:

look what i found

RAP

R etards
A ttempting
P oetry

it was on youtube

Encore
22-06-08, 02:24
:vlol:

ECB
22-06-08, 02:26
Yeah, I have nothing against people who like rap. I personally think some of it is okay, but not hardcore stuff.

digitizedboy
22-06-08, 02:30
Isn't Beastie Boys rap?

I listen to them, and they're good. Not rubbish at all.

Maybe I'm a retard, but ok

Lenochka
22-06-08, 02:36
Rappers aren't artists :p

and who are you to decide that?

I hate when people write rap off of the list of talents just because they don't particularly enjoy it, I don't particularly like rap either but even I can admit It takes talent, sure a ton of rappers don't deserve the amount of attention they get but its not fair to judge a whole genre on a few artists.

Feather Duster
22-06-08, 02:39
No, just those overrated rappers, you know, the ones that have been on the news for naughty things.

Remeber rapper XD ( I'm not sure if that's his name ) was caught going 180 miles per hour on an arizonian highway in his yellow chevy :vlol:

I like some rap, but most I've heard just talk about them getting very inappropriate. I love oldschool rap

It does take talent, rappers generaly need to sing/talk very fast to get the desired affect.

digitizedboy
22-06-08, 02:48
and who are you to decide that?

I hate when people write rap off of the list of talents just because they don't particularly enjoy it, I don't particularly like rap either but even I can admit It takes talent, sure a ton of rappers don't deserve the amount of attention they get but its not fair to judge a whole genre on a few artists.

You know what makes me laugh though? Is when people own up to liking Eminem in the past, and Beastie Boys too, and then sometime later they say they don't like them anymore, and then criticizing the whole genre of that music. Anyway, what's wrong, you don't have to listen to it, people have a choice. duh!

Feather Duster
22-06-08, 02:50
Okay guys, we're getting off topic ;)

mattlsu
22-06-08, 03:02
Ah well. I actually somewhat like the CB song.
And it's totally not my genre of music...

I've never liked Coldplay, one of my least favorite bands ever.
I don't like their new song either.

But I doubt plagarism has taken place.
They sound a bit the same,
but honestly, it's hard to think of a tune that hasn't been in any of the millions of songs out there.

Nannonxyay
22-06-08, 10:38
It's very similar. I've never been a massive fan of Coldplay, their old songs are better. Their new songs just seem unoriginal.

Oh yeah, I love The Killers too. :D

There's other songs that do this. Take "I'm The Kinda" By Peaches and "I don't Have To Try" by Avril Lavigne. They are both strikingly similar.

digitizedboy
22-06-08, 10:56
It's very similar. I've never been a massive fan of Coldplay, their old songs are better. Their new songs just seem unoriginal.

Oh yeah, I love The Killers too. :D

I like the killers, and Interpol too. Anyone like Interpol? everyone says Editors are better, but still. oh well.

scion05
22-06-08, 10:58
You think that's plagiarism... listen to these in comparison LOL

Madonna (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GZejP4CS-eY) VS Victoria (http://youtube.com/watch?v=fGFI-UOUxh4)

And copied or not coppied, I don't think Coldplays new song is all it's cracked
up to be to be honest... nowhere near as good as Fix You or Clocks, but i'd have
to hear more of the album to be sure.

Vertigo
22-06-08, 11:43
I like the killers, and Interpol too. Anyone like Interpol? everyone says Editors are better, but still. oh well.

I like Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers and The White Stripes. The less of my favourite bands are vintage.

iamlaracroft
22-06-08, 11:55
Eh...the two songs sound vaguely similar to me, but if Creaky Boards feels they've been plagiarized, they ought to have a better argument than
"...we we're flattered when we thought we saw Chris Martin at our show..."