PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new computer....

Lost_Soul
27-06-08, 21:47
So I finally decided to buy a new computer and since I know pretty much nothing about them...I need help :D

I have a small budget so I can't afford anything really good....but I figured I'll upgrade it later...or something...

This is the one I had in mind:
I know it's in Estonian but it should be understandable....with the numbers and all :P

Protsessor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Intel P31 kiibistik(chipset), Gigabyte P31-DS3L emaplaat(motherboard), CPU jahutuse kiiruse kontroll, ID-kaardi lugeja + 9 in 1 mälukaardilugeja, kiire operatiivmälu 4GB DDRII 800MHz, kõvaketas 500GB Serial ATA II 7200rpm 16MB, 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3850 videokiirendi, TV-väljund, 2xDVI väljund, 20x LG LightScribe DVD kirjutaja, gigabit võrgukaart, S/PDIF, High Definition 8 kanaliga helikaart, 4xUSB, 1xSerial, 1xLPT, korpus Chieftec BG-02B, vaikne toiteplokk 450W 12cm jahutusega, USB 2.0 ja audio pordid esipaneelil, EST paigutusega Logitech Deluxe klaviatuur, Logitech optiline hiir, hiirematt.

So what I want to know is will I be able to play next gen stuff on it....like say when Underworld comes out or gta 4 for pc...would this computer play it?
The graphics card is good right? (well better than my current ati 9200 for sure :p)

So yeah any help appreciated :wve:

Ilie_Fusarau
27-06-08, 21:52
I'm pretty sure it will run next gen or current gen games fine maybe except for Crysis (highest settings) but it will most definitely run it using the medium-high ones .

Lost_Soul
27-06-08, 22:15
Thank You :)
But I have one more question...Is this computer as good as the other one? It's a bit cheaper and it has Vista on it (the other one has no software with it so I'll have to buy that too) The graphics card is the same but the rest is differentish...

Protsessor Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, Abit IL9 Pro emaplaat(motherboard), Intel 945P kiibistik, ID-kaardi lugeja + 9 in 1 mälukaardilugeja, kiire operatiivmälu 4GB DDRII 667MHz, kõvaketas 500GB Serial ATA II 7200rpm 16MB, 512MB ATI Radeon HD3850 videokiirendi, TV, DVI ja HDMI väljund, LightScribe DVD kirjutaja, gigabit võrgukaart, 7.1 kanaliga helikaart, S/PDIF väljund, 4xUSB, 1xLPT, 1xSerial, vaikne toiteplokk 450W 12cm jahutusega, 2xUSB 2.0 ja audio pordid esipaneelil, EST paigutusega Logitech Deluxe 250 klaviatuur, Logitech optiline hiir, hiirematt. Tarkvara: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, BitDefender viirusetõrje 1a. uuendusõigusega, Eesti-inglise sõnaraamat.

Sir Croft
27-06-08, 22:43
Thank You :)
But I have one more question...Is this computer as good as the other one? It's a bit cheaper and it has Vista on it (the other one has no software with it so I'll have to buy that too) The graphics card is the same but the rest is differentish...

Protsessor Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, Abit IL9 Pro emaplaat(motherboard), Intel 945P kiibistik, ID-kaardi lugeja + 9 in 1 mälukaardilugeja, kiire operatiivmälu 4GB DDRII 667MHz, kõvaketas 500GB Serial ATA II 7200rpm 16MB, 512MB ATI Radeon HD3850 videokiirendi, TV, DVI ja HDMI väljund, LightScribe DVD kirjutaja, gigabit võrgukaart, 7.1 kanaliga helikaart, S/PDIF väljund, 4xUSB, 1xLPT, 1xSerial, vaikne toiteplokk 450W 12cm jahutusega, 2xUSB 2.0 ja audio pordid esipaneelil, EST paigutusega Logitech Deluxe 250 klaviatuur, Logitech optiline hiir, hiirematt. Tarkvara: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, BitDefender viirusetõrje 1a. uuendusõigusega, Eesti-inglise sõnaraamat.

The graphic card in this one is better, hence it has more dedicated memory (512MB against 256MB of the first one), but the processor is a Core 2 Duo so the first one is much faster. And the RAM memory is the same, except from its frequency. :)

spikejones
27-06-08, 22:46
The first one of the two is better, both in terms of current specs and upgrade-ability!

edit, mobo spec sheets:
Abit board (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&q=Abit+IL9+Pro&cid=7400565296647106888)
gigabyte board (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&q=Gigabyte+P31-DS3L&cid=11319585950752588778)

Lost_Soul
27-06-08, 22:49
Thanks guys! :hug:

I'll go with the first one in that case :D

Sir Croft
28-06-08, 01:39
Great choice! :tmb:

EscondeR
28-06-08, 08:39
The first one of the two is better, both in terms of current specs and upgrade-ability!

Agreed :) You must consider only changing the PSU (Power Supply Unit) to more powerful one (e.g.: 600W).

Lost_Soul
28-06-08, 10:07
Agreed :) You must consider only changing the PSU (Power Supply Unit) to more powerful one (e.g.: 600W).

Okay:D

I'll have someone do that...wouldn't be smart for me to poke around in there :D

Thanks again for your help everyone! :wve:

Lost_Soul
28-06-08, 18:33
I found another computer, this one from a more trustable store....(The other one's fine too but a lot of people have had problems with the computers they've bought there....some of them don't work and some have the wrong hardware in them and the store won't take them back.)

So could someone take a look at this one please (I'm annoying, I know) :o

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB DDR2, MB Intel P31 chipset, VGA 512MB NV 9600GT DVI, HDD 500GB, DVDRW LS, heli-ja võrgukaart, korpus 500W Frontier

The processor is the same but is the graphics card better? (I've heard Nvidia is better than ati anyway)
But a friend of mine said the motherboard isn't very good...is that true?

Sir Croft
28-06-08, 18:43
That computer is even better, great video card, grat processor, and great HDD. Knowing only the Mobo's chipset isn't enough to know if it's good or not, the chipset is decent and supports true PCI-E 16x, so it won't limit your video card, but go with a nVidia chipset if possible, I recommend the nForce 630i and above, they are very good and also support the new Intel 45nm processor technology. Do you know the manufacturer of the Power Supply? That's quite important, because if it's a generic PSU you might have problems, because a Core 2 Quad plus a 9600GT is very power hungry.

Lost_Soul
28-06-08, 18:52
That computer is even better, great video card, grat processor, and great HDD. Knowing only the Mobo's chipset isn't enough to know if it's good or not, the chipset is decent and supports true PCI-E 16x, so it won't limit your video card, but go with a nVidia chipset if possible, I recommend the nForce 630i and above, they are very good and also support the new Intel 45nm processor technology. Do you know the manufacturer of the Power Supply? That's quite important, because if it's a generic PSU you might have problems, because a Core 2 Quad plus a 9600GT is very power hungry.

Thanks again! :D

I'll go with this one, just have them change the chipset.
And sorry I don't know the manufacturer, I copied everything from the website...I suppose I could call and ask them. (Isn't frontier the manufacturer? Or is that something else?:o) If the Power Supply isn't good I could have them change that too.

Edit: So if I had it replaced with this?:

Gigabyte 73PVM-S2 mATX s.775
GIGABYTE 73PVM-S2 Nvidia GeForce 7100/Nforce 630i/DVI/ 1333 FSB/ PCI-E x16/ PCIx2+PCI-Ex1x1/ Dual 2xDDRII 800/ 8-...

I have no idea if that's even the right thing...motherboards are the most confusing things about computers :D

And this Power Supply?:

PSU 600W CM eXtreme
CoolerMaster 600W eXtreme

spikejones
28-06-08, 19:15
Thanks again! :D

I'll go with this one, just have them change the chipset.
And sorry I don't know the manufacturer, I copied everything from the website...I suppose I could call and ask them. (Isn't frontier the manufacturer? Or is that something else?:o) If the Power Supply isn't good I could have them change that too.

Edit: So if I had it replaced with this?:

Gigabyte 73PVM-S2 mATX s.775
GIGABYTE 73PVM-S2 Nvidia GeForce 7100/Nforce 630i/DVI/ 1333 FSB/ PCI-E x16/ PCIx2+PCI-Ex1x1/ Dual 2xDDRII 800/ 8-...

I have no idea if that's even the right thing...motherboards are the most confusing things about computers :D

And this Power Supply?:

PSU 600W CM eXtreme
CoolerMaster 600W eXtreme

personally I'd be a bit concerned with size of the case on that machine being that it is micro ATX form factor (smaller than normal size). I'd want a case that was capable of holding either ATX and mATX, thus it would be bigger than a case that was mATX capable only. With a smaller case you have to be concerned about heat issues and being able to work inside the case to add new components.

Lost_Soul
28-06-08, 19:27
personally I'd be a bit concerned with size of the case on that machine being that it is micro ATX form factor (smaller than normal size). I'd want a case that was capable of holding either ATX and mATX, thus it would be bigger than a case that was mATX capable only. With a smaller case you have to be concerned about heat issues and being able to work inside the case to add new components.

*blank stare*

I'm not sure I understood, but will this one do?

Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L s.775 ATX

GIGABYTE GA-P31-DS3L P35/ICH7/ 775 Dual Core/ 1333FSB/ PCI-E x16/ 3+3 PCI-Ex1/ Dual 4xDDRII 800 (1066)/ 8-ch audio/ 4xSATAII 1xPATA/ Gb-e LAN/ ATX

It's not nforce though...is that important?

spikejones
28-06-08, 19:37

edit, mobo spec sheets:
Abit board (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&q=Abit+IL9+Pro&cid=7400565296647106888)
gigabyte board (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&q=Gigabyte+P31-DS3L&cid=11319585950752588778)

that board is actually the same as the second one I linked here. Probably a bit different from the one in your first post, but a good board non the less.

Lost_Soul
28-06-08, 19:44
Great! So should I go with the Gigabyte MB then? And is the PSU 600W CM eXtreme Power Supply good?

spikejones
28-06-08, 19:51
should be good (it has two floppy drive connection for some odd reason):confused:

Lost_Soul
28-06-08, 19:58
should be good (it has two floppy drive connection for some odd reason):confused:

Yay! Thank you! :jmp:

Sir Croft
29-06-08, 14:08
Great! So should I go with the Gigabyte MB then? And is the PSU 600W CM eXtreme Power Supply good?

Yeah, it's a great PSU, will handle your system with no problems. :)

Lost_Soul
29-06-08, 14:33

Necromanser
29-06-08, 17:14
This might be a bit late but the E8500 Wolfdale 3.16Ghz> is better than your current processor and it's 45nm.

Lost_Soul
29-06-08, 17:28
This might be a bit late but the E8500 Wolfdale 3.16Ghz> is better than your current processor and it's 45nm.

It's not too late, I won't be buying it for a few weeks. But "Ordi" doesn't have that processor so I can't have them change it to that. But thanks, it's good to know.:D I'll probably have to upgrade the computer in like 3 years anyway, right? And the current processor is pretty good as I understand.

Lost_Soul
11-07-08, 20:43
Well I've got another question... :rolleyes:

I ordered my computer but they said they don't have the CM 600W PSU and offered this one (http://www.ordi.ee/EPood/Product.aspx?MC=KOMP&IC=1810&ItemID=1810-1116)instead. Is that as good? It's quite a bit cheaper and it's 20W lower so does that make a great difference?

spikejones
11-07-08, 21:15
Well I've got another question... :rolleyes:

I ordered my computer but they said they don't have the CM 600W PSU and offered this one (http://www.ordi.ee/EPood/Product.aspx?MC=KOMP&IC=1810&ItemID=1810-1116)instead. Is that as good? It's quite a bit cheaper and it's 20W lower so does that make a great difference?

Do you know the max power requirements (full load) for all your devices?

If the sum of all those is less than what you are looking at, you will be okay. If however it is more than what you are looking at, you must get a more powerful PSU.

Lost_Soul
11-07-08, 21:36
Do you know the max power requirements (full load) for all your devices?

If the sum of all those is less than what you are looking at, you will be okay. If however it is more than what you are looking at, you must get a more powerful PSU.

No idea =/
But since they suggested it it should probably be okay? They wouldn't install something that'd make my computer go boom.(Hopefully)
What happens if I have a low power PSU? Nothing too horrible, right?

EscondeR
12-07-08, 07:58
^ If the power output of your PSU is lower than your peripherals requirements, then you won't be able to use the PC (completely or some power consuming features, i.e. 3D graphics).

Lost_Soul
12-07-08, 08:03
^ If the power output of your PSU is lower than your peripherals requirements, then you won't be able to use the PC (completely or some power consuming features, i.e. 3D graphics).

Okay well that is bad. I told them I want a PSU that's over 600W just in case. :p

Thankee :wve: