PDA

View Full Version : Damaged DVD

God Horus
30-06-08, 17:43
I have a DVD which is damaged. It has a lot of scratches on the bottom. I went through my files today, and I realized that the only backup of my work is on that DVD. When I insert the DVD into my computer, my PC won't read it. Is there anything I can try to do to get the files off of the DVD?

Drone
30-06-08, 20:56
too bad, nope. if it's damaged even if you'll manage to get some files they will be corrupted

spikejones
30-06-08, 22:22
clean the disc as best you can. It may be possible to save the contents by burning a copy of the disc.

I had an issue where my Office Pro disc was scratched and could not be installed. I took a shot at it and dragged the contents to the desktop, made an ISO of it, and burned it to a CD-RW. The result, a perfectly good working Office Pro Disc!

tlr online
30-06-08, 22:23
Some places offer a cleaning service. The actual data is stored under the plastic layer, so they rub off a layer and smooth the disc so it can be read. The data is probably in tact, but the scratches redirect the light of the laser when reading it. You can fix that and it only costs a few pounds. There's a place local to me that does that in Brighton. You might have somewhere local too.

spikejones
30-06-08, 22:25
^ indeed, this can be done as the data is stored on the shiny underside of the top side label. Data is gone for good if that label is scratched off.

Drone
30-06-08, 22:27
The actual data is stored under the plastic layer, so they rub off a layer and smooth the disc so it can be read. The data is probably in tact, but the scratches redirect the light of the laser when reading it.

damn I never knew it. Thank you. It's something new to me

EscondeR
01-07-08, 05:32
If you get it cleaned or not, use ISO Buster (http://isobuster.en.softonic.com/) to increase your chances to get data right :)

God Horus
01-07-08, 14:20
Well, I am about to try a few at home techniques some of my other friends recommended to me for fixing the disk (just long enough for me to get my files back!)

Drone
01-07-08, 14:23
it's always better to keep at least 2 backups of very important files