PDA

View Full Version : Somethings chomping on 56GB of my drive!

Nausinous
01-07-08, 09:16
Somethings taking up 56GB of my computer and I don't know what. I haven't got anything seriously massive installed my PC. I removed all my games (Most of them I hate). I checked how much room my documents take up its about 1GB no more and I can't find anything else. Can someone help me?

Its jumped up to 65GB now after I just unistalled Norton Anit Virus cus' I hate that program!

EscondeR
01-07-08, 09:39
Use CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/) to remove junk, then look at free space again :)

Titanium
01-07-08, 12:23
If you use Vista, I find System Restore takes chunks out of your hard drive. After I installed SP1 and had my system restore files deleted I gained like 40GB of space.

tlr online
01-07-08, 14:23
If you use Vista, I find System Restore takes chunks out of your hard drive. After I installed SP1 and had my Service Packs deleted I gained like 40GB of space.

How did you delete your SP1 installation files?

tlr online
01-07-08, 14:25
I'll answer my own question:

http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/finish-install-windows-vista-sp1-clean-junk-files/2641/

How cool is that. I just reclaimed 1Gb. :D Thanks Titanium. :tmb:

Titanium
01-07-08, 15:47
How did you delete your SP1 installation files?

I didnt, I made an error. I meant I had my system restore files deleted. But you gained a GB out of my error. :D

disneyprincess20
01-07-08, 15:53
I had a virus a while ago that chomped up any available space on my hard drive. As it turned out, it was a 70GB notepad file :yik: Scan, quarantine, delete, repeat :D

Nausinous
01-07-08, 19:20
Cheers guys. I'll do a virus scan also.

spikejones
01-07-08, 19:35
do you have music files or videos stored in locations other than My Documents? These type files can fill a hard drive fast.

Question though, when you say "it jumped up to 65 GB when I uninstalled Norton.." do you mean your free space jumped up to that size, or your used space jumped to that size? I ask because it didn't make sense the way you have it worded. Generally speaking, in order to make the most sense, people will continue on with the original line of speaking and say "when I uninstalled Norton, my amount of used space decreased to x GB."

If your used space increased after uninstalling Norton, you should definitely run a virus scan.

Spiritwolfe
02-07-08, 20:35
I use Ultra Sentry and have Comcast.net for my broadband/cable connection to the internet and have McAfee for free through Comcast. Since I always leave my computer on I have it do a nightly virus scan and registry scan to make sure no viruses are lurking around. I also use the FREE Auslogics Disk Defrag and Registry Cleaner (also free) to round out my system maintenance and 400GB free across 5 hard disk drives. :D

Here is the website for the (I think) the best free system maintenance programs I have found for Disk Defrag and Registry Cleaner.

This is their home page. (http://www.auslogics.com/en/) ;)