PDA

View Full Version : pc locks up at POST

spikejones
02-07-08, 02:38
Hmm, I can't seem to find any help with this issue on the HP site or elsewhere, so here you go:

1. The Owner of an HP a250n went out of town for a week and left the PC unplugged the whole time
2. Came home and reconnected the PC, turned it on.
3. Computer locked up at POST for 1.5 hours (before being shut down)
4. Cannot enter BIOS setup
5. Message stating "checking NVRAM"
6. No beep codes

WTF? Is the BIOS gone or what? The battery seems to hold a charge though. I was going to suggest to him to leave it sit there for a while to see if it finished checking the NVRAM, but I cant see as how it should take more than the length of time above.

nick-xx
02-07-08, 02:55
If its stopping in the NVRAM part, probably the bios is gone, but is weird how can the bios gone just in a week unplugged, does it worked fine before that. Something mas have shorted the board, it may be the first time it connected again in the power outlet.

EscondeR
02-07-08, 07:04
I suggest the following:

1. Power off.
2. Check all boards are firmly placed in their slots (including RAM).
3. Put the jumper to clear CMOS.
4. Turn on for several seconds to clear CMOS.
5. Turn off and set the jumper to working position.
6. Turn on, enter BIOS and choose default settings.

spikejones
02-07-08, 07:14
I suggest the following:

1. Power off.
2. Check all boards are firmly placed in their slots (including RAM).
3. Put the jumper to clear CMOS.
4. Turn on for several seconds to clear CMOS.
5. Turn off and set the jumper to working position.
6. Turn on, enter BIOS and choose default settings.

1. done
2. done
3/4/5. removed/replaced battery in that sequence, would that count?
6. after my sequence, I still was not able to enter BIOS.

I checked RAM slots, hard drive connections, floppy drive connections, disc drive connections etc. all is intact. (even swapped the drive per his request to test if it was the drive itself)

Regarding the CMOS jumper... not sure what that is:confused:... teach me, oh Great One.

EscondeR
02-07-08, 07:18
^ Tell me the motherboard model and number. It's not enough to just remove the battery, thus you'll shift the clock only.

spikejones
02-07-08, 07:22
so far, this is what I can find for motherboard info on that PC.. I obviously wont be able to run diagnose or everest on the machine in its current state.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph08426.pdf

EscondeR
02-07-08, 07:36
Is it THIS (http://www.msicomputer.co.uk/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=148&maincat_no=1) one?

Normally BIOS flush jumper must be near BIOS chip. It's a 3 pin connector: 1-2 normal work, 2-3 flush CMOS. Flushing will clean all custom settings including passwords and return to defaults. If flushing is not working and you're sure that all boards/connectors are properly and firmly placed, then most likely the BIOS left the ghost :(

BTW, how much RAM is installed (and how many boards of RAM)?

spikejones
02-07-08, 16:10
no, it is similar though. His actually has 4 DIMM slots (currently 2x256MB), the IDE header on his is actually located at the bottom right and the battery is not flat on the board, but rather is mounted in perpendicular fashion.

spikejones
03-07-08, 00:48
sweetness! you da man Eskie! HAIL, HAIL, HAIL!!

I was actually able to pass along your advice to the guy and had him fix it himself. By piecing together my independent research, your knowledge, and your suggestions, the machine lives once again. The battery was dead though, so that might have had something to do with it. But, I'm not too worried there cause neither me nor him knew how to read that meter he had. LOL! He replaced the battery, reset the CMOS using the jumpers, and it's all good.

EscondeR
03-07-08, 06:21
:tmb: Glad you've managed it :)