PDA

View Full Version : a little computer help

tombfan91
02-07-08, 23:40
ok. so my computer lately has been having hard time turning on. i press the button like i usually do to turn on my computer but the problem is.w hen i do it doesn't turn on. no matter how many time i try it doesn't work. i finally get it to turn on though after so many tries. could my comp be dying?

spikejones
02-07-08, 23:47
If nothing at all comes on/gets power, your PSU may be failing or the connections for the power button may be coming loose.

Check first to see if all power connection are secure (including the one from the wall to the box).

If this does not help, then you should get a competent person to test the PSU itself.

tombfan91
03-07-08, 00:06
thanx for responding ^_^. i guess i should have somebody look at it. its getting harder to turn it on day by day

EscondeR
03-07-08, 06:20
Possible reasons and solutions:

1. Loosen:

connection from power outlet to the case (PSU)
connection from PSU to Motherboard (video board, HDDs aswell)
connection from power button to Motherboard or PSU (depending on type)

This is the most possible case...

Fix: tighten or replace cables.

2. Faulty PSU

Fix: Check with multimeter output voltages and current of the PSU - they must be adequate to PSU parameters shown on sticker.

3. PSU is not powerful enough for your components (doubtful)

Fix: Change the PSU for more powerful model (600W or even more).

tombfan91
03-07-08, 06:54
thanx for responding ^_^. i just wish i knew what you were talking about lol. umm idk maybe i should just try and unplug everything then plug it back in?

EscondeR
03-07-08, 07:05
^ That's p.1 fixing advice exactly :) Just ensure all connections are correct and tight.

tombfan91
05-07-08, 16:38
ok so i tried unpluging and plugging everything back in. doesn't seem to do much work, it's still the same

EscondeR
05-07-08, 20:28
^ Then return to those remaining reasons:

Possible reasons and solutions:

2. Faulty PSU

Fix: Check with multimeter output voltages and current of the PSU - they must be adequate to PSU parameters shown on sticker.

3. PSU is not powerful enough for your components (doubtful)

Fix: Change the PSU for more powerful model (600W or even more).

How powerful your PSU is?

spikejones
05-07-08, 22:21
just want to be sure that you checked the connections for the power button.

tombfan91
14-07-08, 21:29
hi. sorry its been longs ince i posted here. i just wanted to thank you guys for your help but i ended up getting a new comp so... i guess that puts my old comp out of the way, but thanks for all of your help i appreciate it ^_^

spikejones
14-07-08, 21:45
cool beans... let us know if/when something else breaks.

EscondeR
15-07-08, 05:24
Nice...
But generally it doesn't mean that you must throw the old PC in trash, just replace the PSU and try it :)

tombfan91
15-07-08, 05:44
Nice...
But generally it doesn't mean that you must throw the old PC in trash, just replace the PSU and try it :)

oh im not that dumb lol ive been wanting a new comp for a long time it just came at the right time so to speak. i sitll have my old one safe in my room.