PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Formating

Wana b like Lara
03-07-08, 22:24
Hi :wve:

Sorry for making all these tech threads, it's just that my PC and laptop need help sometimes ... always :( . Anyhoo i'm a 14 year old teen (du'h!) :D and i really would like to format my system, i run on XP and i intend to run on XP, so does anyone have easy steps on how to format the system? I know it's not easy. :(

Like the ones i could understand? Dangers, tips, backups ... etc.

I really would like to format my system to get that new laptop i took out of the box in a rush 2 years ago :D

So 2 more things, i don't really want to take my laptop to the technitians, because 1 it could cost, 2 it's hard to find one :(

Here are few things about my laptop:

Make: iQon Technologies
Disk Memory: 40 GB Not alot! :()
System:Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

It has Vistamizer on here aswell :D

jamieoliver22
03-07-08, 22:32
It isn't that hard to be honest. Do you have an original Windows XP disk? If so, pop it into your computer as it starts up, boot from it and follow the onscreen instuctions to reinstall Windows. During the installation, there will be an option to delete the current partition and then create a new one.

Follow this guide here: http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm

And the only main danger is the fact that it will erase everything on the disk, so make sure you backup anything you wish to keep.

Wana b like Lara
03-07-08, 23:02
No, :( i don't have the original XP Disk, i got the Machine with XP alredy on it :(

But i do have this one though its' Operation System Reinstalation DVD Windows XP Home Edition, oh is that it? ^

But it says there: Do not load this DVD unless instructed to do so by iQon Technical Support

So .. what shall i do?

-

spikejones
04-07-08, 02:08
Must be an iQon OEM version of Windows XP.

If you intend to fully format and reinstall windows, make sure to find your product key before starting the process or you will end up with a dead machine.

Fresh install will obviously leave you with only the basic software from the OS disc (OEM versions should have more software than retail discs). Be sure to back up your important data to a disc or other removable storage device. Take the opportunity while your OS is still fully functional to search for and download the latest drivers for your computer, and save them to a separate disc from your data. Typically with a laptop you will have to get these online from the OEM (laptop manufacturer) website, hopefully you have a driver installation CD that came with your laptop in the event that your manufacturer does not provide drivers online (or they are corrupt, like one of the video drivers on the ACER site.)

I will say this though, you should be able to regain that performance by getting rid of some unnecessary auto run applications (most of them are unnecessary), turning off Windows services that you do not need, defragmenting the drive(s), and cleaning the registry of dead links.

If you maintain your system well, it will perform well for a long time.

EscondeR
04-07-08, 05:40
But i do have this one though its' Operation System Reinstalation DVD Windows XP Home Edition, oh is that it? ^

Open it in Windows Explorer and make a screenshot of it's content, post it here :)

I will say this though, you should be able to regain that performance by getting rid of some unnecessary auto run applications (most of them are unnecessary), turning off Windows services that you do not need, defragmenting the drive(s), and cleaning the registry of dead links.

If you maintain your system well, it will perform well for a long time.

^ Yup. And if you want us to help you, use ARDiag.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/ardiag.exe) and post the report.