PDA

View Full Version : In-Game Music

Maturin
06-07-08, 22:24
Greetings all :wve: - long time Tomb Raider first time poster.

I'm running on Vista with Glidos and the audio and texture packs - kudos to those guys for their great work. It's all working fine but I am hearing no music during the game.

Title music is fine, FMVs are fine and the background noises are there. I cannot remember if there is incidental music in parts of the game (like the violins in TR2 Venice) but I am getting none. I just reached Sanctuary of the Scion and when the camera panned out to view the Sphinx it really felt like there should be music...

tlr online
06-07-08, 22:41
Hello and welcome aboard. :wve:

I'll send this over to Tech Support for their eager eyes to take a look at. Enjoy your stay.

Maturin
06-07-08, 23:14
I'll send this over to Tech Support for their eager eyes to take a look at. Enjoy your stay.

Thanks, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be hearing music or not. I have Glidos 1.41 with VDos32 0.8 installed as per the guide with the audio and texture packs. It's all working great - just not sure about the music :confused:

Lord Icon
07-07-08, 03:09
Maturin,

I played TR through Glidos (on XP) long time ago but as far as I can remember I had no problems with the audio pack. However, for Glidos to use the audio pack you have to change audio settings in Glidos from Redbook to MP3.

EscondeR
07-07-08, 08:19
^ Yup. According to

Install Glidos v1.39 or later.
Install Tomb Raider using the preconfigured archive of Tomb Raider for Glidos (http://download.glidos.net/TR1/TrAndUbForGlidos.exe).
Install the Audio Pack (http://download.glidos.net/TR1/TombRaiderAudio_v1_6.exe).
Adjust Glidos's Audio settings, changing the Redbook setting to MP3.

Maturin
07-07-08, 09:32
Yes thanks guys. I followed the instructions to the letter, including changing from Redbook to MP3. I have even tried a reinstall. Menu music and background sounds are all there, but could somebody please tell me if I should be hearing music at certain points during the game?

EscondeR
08-07-08, 05:38
^ Can you hear the wind/ambient/secret sounds?

Maturin
08-07-08, 21:15
Yes. Ambient sounds, the secret chime, wind noises and the dripping sounds you get on levels such as Cistern: all fine. FMVs are fine. Cutscenes are fine.

I've just seen a lot of people mention music in the game and I have heard none. Take TR2 - that bit at the start when you first step out onto the Great Wall - you get a short bit of incidental music. I am asking, should I be hearing things like this in TR1 as well?

EscondeR
09-07-08, 05:52
^ With the Audio pack you must have all the music from PS, weird that you have not :confused:

I'm not a Glidos user myself, but I advise you to follow this solution:
Use THIS (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/traudio.html) guide to burn a mixed-mode TR1 CD, but instead of tracks mentioned, use THOSE (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/download/esc/tr1audio.zip) and instead of original tomb.exe use THIS (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/temp/TR1patch.zip) - this package contains all TR1 music from PS. Thus you can hear it playing either with Glidos, or DgVoodoo+VDMSound :tmb:

Lord Icon
09-07-08, 08:09
I've just seen a lot of people mention music in the game and I have heard none. Take TR2 - that bit at the start when you first step out onto the Great Wall - you get a short bit of incidental music. I am asking, should I be hearing things like this in TR1 as well?

Yes. After all that is the reason the audio pack was created... to restore the original music and sounds from the PS version of Tomb Raider.

The way I see it is that you have two choices at this point.

First choice is to reinstall everything. Sometimes reinstalling can fix problems. Follow the checklist below:

1. Install Glidos 1.41 in combination with VDos32 0.8 (since you're on Vista)
2. Configure Glidos to use VDos32
3. Install Tomb Raider using the preconfigured archive of Tomb Raider for Glidos
4. Install texture packs (if any)
5. Install the Audio Pack 1.6
6. Change Glidos audio settings from Redbook to MP3
7. Start the game through Glidos by clicking on the "Start" button

Second choice. Follow EscondeR's suggestion.

The Great Chi
10-07-08, 14:59
Please be wary of VDMsound, I used that when trying out glidos, and found I had stopped my sound card working, so it is not compatable with some sound cards :eek:

Make sure if you are trying this, that you have made a new system restore point before installing (WinXP), so you can reset back to origional settings.

Maturin
11-07-08, 18:29
Well I am a fool, it's official. I reinstalled everything and got it working fine! I reinstalled to a new folder and left the older one intact. When I went back to grab the savegames, I found that I was using a tomb.exe from 1997 and I had for some reason renamed the 2007 one. Why I did such a thing I cannot remember.

Anway, it is working fine. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Trouble is I've already played through the game now!