PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hours of Despair

KIKO
07-07-08, 12:12
Hi everyone. Yesterday I was thinking about something to write for you to read. And I came up with this based in reality. I hope you like it.

__________________24 Hours of Despair_______________________________

9:00 AM

- Can we take him ? – asked the Nurse to the doctor who was getting ready.
- Sure. Take him – he answered.
- Don’t worry this will be fast – she informed me.
The doctors and the nurse were all around. They put something in my finger and some sticky things on my buddy. The Nurse approached me with a black mask or in another words the anaesthesia. The mask was now on my face and the doctor were looking at me waiting for me to fall asleep.
- Start counting boy – she ordered.
- Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, fiv…

2 Hours Before
7:00 AM

- Now that you took a bath you need to wait and don’t think about the operation, it will make you more nervous – said my mom.
- More nervous than what I am ? That’s impossible! – I affirmed.
- Everything will go fine, don’t worry – Said my mom holding my hand.
I turned my head to the left side, I was thinking about my colleagues who were at school in that moment. I was wishing to get out of the Hospital as soon as possible. Nevertheless some longs hours awaited me in that bed. I was just a few hours of having an experience. A big experience… The doctors said what would happen after the operation, I knew what would happen however I never thought it would have been so painful and horrible…

3 Hours Later
10: 00 AM

The Operation ended, I was sleeping… Well I don’t remember of dreaming in that moment. I was just sleeping, walking in the dark without knowing what was going on in that moment, who was I. It’s like you don’t get conscious of who you are and what’s happening.

1 or 2 Hours Later.

I woke up in the darkness. Didn’t remembered about the healing procedure. I just screamed for my mother. And in the moment I screamed she hold my hand and said.
- I’m here son, don’t worry. Tomorrow this will be all over.
Yes it would be all over. Now I just needed to hold her hand, but the problem was I couldn’t see her hand.
I just realized I had a bandage around my head, I had some cream in my eyes, I couldn’t move them and if I did, the bandage would hurt my eyes because it was tide.
I tried to take it from my head, I just felt super uncomfortable in that moment. My mother said I couldn’t take it. It was still fresh. Tomorrow the Nurse would take the bandage. But today, today all I had to do is wait, wait for the day to pass…
It really was horrible, painful… I only wanted to see ! I couldn’t stand not seeing anything. I was desperate to take that bandage from my head and see the day again. It was like being in the skin of a blind.
And one thing I tell you, there’s nothing worse than nothing seeing anything. Anything at all.

A few hours later, I was still in that bed with my eyes closed. I could here the nurses and the patients walking in the long corridors, talking about diseases, operations, talking about their personal lives, about soap operas and many other topics. My mom said me that she needed to go to the refectory to eat something. I said it was ok, I would be fine.
In the moment she left, I started remembering about the days that my eyes were really needed. The days I spent watching TV or playing Playstation, the travels I made, the picture I saw, the books I read. All of that required eyes and I felt the need to do all those things in that exact moment. I really was desperate to see again.
I made that operation to adjust something in my eyes, I prefer keeping that for me in case you ask.
In that moment I was thinking too about my colleagues who wanted to visit me in the Hospital. I said them not to. I didn’t want them to see me like that.
A few more hours passed and I was eating something. I hate Hospital food. I was asking “What am I eating ?” and the Nurse just answered “Just eat”. Probably vegetables and healthy stuff. Well I wasn’t very hungry, the serum served to keep me without hunger.

21:00 PM

Everything was quiet in the corridors. Now I didn’t have that serum, the Nurse took it. I didn’t need it anymore. So now I was just in that bed. My mother was on the TV Room watching something, entertaining herself whistle I was in bed.
Well if I was passing throw this experience of being blind for one day, why not feeling how walking in the dark is ?

So I got out of the bed and put my right hand on the wall, that in the corner I opened the door. I had some fear now, oh my god it was scary ! But what should I fear ? I couldn’t see bloody thing so I just walked a bit touching the wall at the same time to not loose myself in the dark. Then I thought I had enough of walking and decided to go back to the bed. And I just returned to that bed and started dreaming.

Next Day, 10:00 AM

I just woke up and I was excited about taking that bandage of my head. “Where’s the Nurse ?”, “Where is she ? “, “When will she take this ?”, “How many time till I get to see again ?”. You now understand how painful it was to me, to wish to see and not being able to see. Probably you can’t understand my despair. You need to pass throw the same experience as me to understand it. At the middle of the day I she took that bandage from my head and I turned to see again. How happy I was to see something. Then I got back to my House and life continued.

In this experience I comprehended how it was to be blinded. Their damn wrong when they say it’s horrible. It’s actually more than that. No word can describe how it feels like! And if there’s one thing I’ve learned, that would be: Being unable to see is the worst thing that can happen to a person.

So did you like it ? Criticism is well appreceated here :)

Christi
07-07-08, 12:34
Interesting!!!! No twist or climax though...but that doesn't matter:p It had a good theme

just croft
07-07-08, 12:34
Impressive! :tmb:

It's so good that it's a pitty it's so short. Maybe you could explore it a little bit more, at during the after noon, at night and the next day waiting for the nurse to get the bandage out. ;)

ps. was this the project you were talking about in the portuguese section?

KIKO
07-07-08, 12:38
ps. was this the project you were talking about in the portuguese section?

No. This has nothing that do with the other project. The other project is still in development and it's bigger, possibly 30x times bigger than this one ;)

rowanlim
08-07-08, 01:26
Very interesting KIKO! Nice style! :tmb: :)

spikejones
08-07-08, 01:58
Interesting read. Loosing the ability to see when one has gone through their whole life would be a completely life altering experience. I kind of relate it to loosing ones legs or arms. It's the finer things in life that we all take for granted and don't appreciate. You know, I have always wondered what blind people "see". Do they just "see" dark nothingness, or is it a white nothingness, or rather do they go through life having daydreams? Perhaps they might be vaguely aware of a light source, such as when you close your eyes and hold a flash light up to your eyelids and you see red.

Was this a true experience, or is it a work of imagination?

Aphrodite22
08-07-08, 02:05
really nice story!

:D

i cant think of being blind, it would be terrible :(

KIKO
08-07-08, 09:47
Interesting read. Loosing the ability to see when one has gone through their whole life would be a completely life altering experience. I kind of relate it to loosing ones legs or arms. It's the finer things in life that we all take for granted and don't appreciate. You know, I have always wondered what blind people "see". Do they just "see" dark nothingness, or is it a white nothingness, or rather do they go through life having daydreams? Perhaps they might be vaguely aware of a light source, such as when you close your eyes and hold a flash light up to your eyelids and you see red.

Was this a true experience, or is it a work of imagination?

It was a true experience, I wasn't blind. I just had a bandage on my head durind a day or more. It was horrible I wanted to see and I couldn't because the Nurse told me not to.
And I believe that in that day I felt how a person fells when turns blind. Well I only "nothingness". It's impossible to know that part. I saw "nothingness" because I only had my eyes closed but a blind I don't know. Maybe the same, maybe not :o

kryptonite23
08-07-08, 10:32
It's very nice ;)
Well-written :D